Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

trucutru posted:

It has, the blocks have limited space so you can only fit so many transactions per block. If the blocks are mined more slowly (less hash rate) the number of available transactions per second will go down.

tps doesn't existttttttt

it's a fake not real number!!!!!!

made by averaging out the number of transactions in a block!!

against how long it toooook

bitcoin is only transacting in big chunks every ten minutes or so

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the protocol adjusts hash difficulty according to the apparent current hash rate in an effort to try to keep blocks coming at about one every ten minutes. so lower hash rate (more mining hardware) doesn’t actually make blocks come any slower once adjustment is complete

on the other hand, that adjustment lags because it’s done once every certain number of blocks. since the period is measured in blocks rather than time, it adjusts faster (measured in real time) when hashrate is increasing and slower when it’s decreasing. so a steep decline in hashrate takes a long time to adjust, especially because downward adjustments in difficulty are also limited in a weak effort to prevent miners from intentionally manipulating the hashrate. this theoretically can put the frisbee on the roof

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

owns so hard lol

(sound on, degenerates)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Trying to claw back up over 18,500-19,000.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Trying to claw back up over 18,500-19,000.
In big chunks, too; makes me think stablecoin printer. The descent has been mostly organic.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Crust First posted:

actually the hashrate has no connection to the transactions per second, no matter how much energy you throw at the system it never gets any faster, it maintains 7tps running on the power of a raspberry pi or a dyson sphere, it's dumb as hell!

I took a graduate-level distributed systems course a few years ago. Even after studying that and subsequently passing my Ph.D. qualifying exam in systems, I never looked at how bitcoin worked. I always assumed that they were doing something at least semi-clever to ensure that the system emerged in some sort of consensus state. I could see how, by using proof-of-work, you could just slow the system down enough that updates could propagate in the obvious, dumb way, but I figured, surely they'd do something more clever than like "grad student's first whack at the problem." Last year, once I decided to take a look at how the system worked, I finally realized, no, they don't.

I'm not an expert, because, gently caress I can't be arsed to think that hard about goddamn bitcoin. BUT, unless I'm missing something, I finally realized that because they do the stone-stupid, simple thing, you HAVE to keep the transaction rate slow, otherwise you'd never get a system that settled into having a quorum that agreed on ledger state.

I still have doubts and think I must be wrong, because gently caress, that's so stupid.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 18, 2022

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm not an expert, because, gently caress I can't be arsed to think that hard about goddamn bitcoin. BUT, unless I'm missing something, I finally realized that because they do the stone-stupid, simple thing, you HAVE to keep the transaction rate slow, otherwise you'd never get a system that settled into having a quorum that agreed on ledger state.

they also just don’t want miners to inflate the living gently caress out of their currency by mining a million blocks a second

now you might think “surely they could adjust the block reward by difficulty rather than the hash”. congratulations, you have now thought about this more than satoshi probably did

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DrankSinatra posted:

I took a graduate-level distributed systems course a few years ago. Even after studying that and subsequently passing my Ph.D. qualifying exam in systems, I never looked at how bitcoin worked. I always assumed that they were doing something at least semi-clever to ensure that the system emerged in some sort of consensus state. I could see how, by using proof-of-work, you could just slow the system down enough that updates could propagate in the obvious, dumb way, but I figured, surely they'd do something more clever than like "grad student's first whack at the problem." Last year, once I decided to take a look at how the system worked, I finally realized, no, they don't.

I still have doubts and think I must be wrong, because gently caress, that's so stupid.
The thing to remember is BitCoin was literally a proof of concept. Then nerds got weird and culty with it while the creator ran away because he was worried he'd get blamed for all the crimes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PiCroft posted:

I both recognise and appreciate this reference

It seemed so wonderfully appropriate.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

DrankSinatra posted:

yeah I think some altcoins tried to increase the rate but it kept leading to the network getting out of sync

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

they also just don’t want miners to inflate the living gently caress out of their currency by mining a million blocks a second

now you might think “surely they could adjust the block reward by difficulty rather than the hash”. congratulations, you have now thought about this more than satoshi probably did

I always figured the whole idea of rewarding mining the way they do shook out after the fact, once they answered the question of "how do we assign enough busywork to make the system work correctly," and that the inflation issues were just sort of a non-entity once you answer the core consensus question. I get the feeling that "doing the bare minimum to make the ledger work, gently caress everything else," with the properties of the currency just being accidentally-what-it-is is the correct intersection of Occam and Hanlon's Razor.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 18, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Back over 19100. Who turned the printer on?

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

FCKGW posted:

have you heard the good news?

https://buttcoin.club/

lol 13 bit-coins have donated to that null address

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVG8PF4ECU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

just quoting this again and forever

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's Moipin' time

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

What's the music?

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Viscous Soda posted:

What's the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wkRET0hbo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
buttcoin is saved

diamond hands win again

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have to say, I really love how

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
incidentally i thought about animating something to The Daily Mail, but :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8RwAgOMn48

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Beeftweeter posted:

sending all the coins to stovokor

Grethor, surely

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

DrankSinatra posted:

there's no technical reason that the transaction rate has to be as low as it is (though getting it to somewhere useful would still likely be impossible), there's a whole lot of bitcoin forks out there that either increased the block size or decreased the block time in order to increase the transaction rate. the issue is just it's politically impossible to improve bitcoin's transaction rate as doing so would hurt miners

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Anticheese posted:

Grethor, surely

poo poo you're right

*worf voice* smart contracts are not honorable

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmdg3epcic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

went out to eat and one of the people at the bar was talking loudly about the bitcoin crash and how much money he was losing to the bartender

real satisfying day

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lih posted:

there's no technical reason that the transaction rate has to be as low as it is
There is, the bitcoin ledger is never pruned so a higher transaction rate would bloat the ledger even faster. It's currently somewhere around 300GB

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
the hell is a bitcoin

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hell is other bitcoins

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

...! posted:

the hell is a bitcoin

it’s better to not know.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

...! posted:

the hell is a bitcoin
:wrong:

coelomate posted:

it’s better to not know.
:right:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

...! posted:

the hell is a bitcoin

A miserable pile of scams.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Alas, poor Bitcoin! I knew him, Horatio.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
aw man, i was busy doing other stuff today and i missed the main event. still down from the last time i checked so eh, i'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
when I stopped paying attention to this garbage fire 4 years ago, all the problems with bitcoin were due to be solved in 6 months time by the lightning network.

so, lol, I guess?