Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I played Kiwami 2 on PC and it still felt bleh to actually do things in compared to 0.

The physics and engine stuff is funny and fun but Kiryu's actual abilities just have very few options and skill expression compared to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

see, your problem is having so much skill that you care about things like skill expression

have you tried being bad at the video game?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the combat in Like a Dragon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I do prefer the old engine but K2 was a lot better at getting it back up to par with how it felt compared to Y6 imo

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah K2 is still fairly fun to play despite my gripes while 6 felt like poo poo.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I just finished replaying 0 and decided to do the Majima saga and it feels very slow and weak. Obviously they didn't bother recreating his full moveset but it was very slow and weak. Plus I think it was 60fps to 30 fps.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

6 has all the growing pains of being the first of a new engine but you can still make it work

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

KirbyKhan posted:

I like the combat in Like a Dragon.

It's fine, but Persona 5 does it better (Yakuza LAD has a much better heart than Persona 5 though). I'm interested to see how they do with a full game's worth of development time for Yakuza 8 - it's clear the Like a Dragon combat could've used a little bit more time to smooth the rough edges off.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like a Dragon definitely has some rough spots and balance issues regarding the gameplay but I'm excited to see how the next game iterates upon it.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Great job for a first attempt, can't wait to see what they come up with next and praying they keep a job system.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Just finished Kaito Files, now I need news on what RGG are coming out with this year

I miss the time when I was simultaneously ambushed with finding out both LAD and Lost Judgement were out (with me not even knowing there was going to be a sequel to Judgement in the first place).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started Yakuza 4, I don't know what the community perception is around the characters. But Akiyama is a boss. Already liking the start of this vs the Osaka start/hit in 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ulio posted:

Just started Yakuza 4, I don't know what the community perception is around the characters. But Akiyama is a boss. Already liking the start of this vs the Osaka start/hit in 3.

A lot of people here get down on Akiyama for reasons related to his moneylender gimmick and what he puts people through but I thought he was a real fun character to start off with. Interesting, entertaining, kicks for days.

Seajima is another winner but suffers from probably the worst chapters in the respective games he’s in.

No one likes Tanimura.

The Osaka poo poo rules imo and is some of Kiryu’s best character moments.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
wasnt 0 the one where you just hold a button in beast stance and get free counters over and over

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
0 and kiwami are both the ones where you do beat mode bare minimum completion and never again because its the worst of all modes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

man nurse posted:

The Osaka poo poo rules imo and is some of Kiryu’s best character moments.

Ya I definitely agree, I think the Morning Glory is a great amount of character development for Kiryu who basically gets none in the first 2 games. But it was weird transition going from the end of 2 fighting Ryuji to babysitting kids. By the end of it, I definitely appreciated those sections as I actually did think they did enough to build some character for all the kids instead of just telling us that they are troubled and Kiryu is their father figure. So during the moments I didn't enjoy the morning glory part but by the end I did think it did add alot to story and especially Kiryu's development. Also I mistakenly said Osaka but I am pretty sure its Okinawa?

As for Akiyama, I am still super early so I can't say too much but I did like his initial impression.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I think in the remasters they took out a lovely thing he says to Hana, his secretary? Or maybe I just missed it my last go around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

3 is Okinawa yeah. Sotenbori is Osaka

Also really liked LAD, I just wish they’d add difficulty options for losers like me who aren’t good at jrpgs and don’t like grinding, but otherwise adores what that game was doing. Seems like most games, including other jrpgs are doing that (ie, p5’s safety mode, where it’s literally impossible to lose) so I thought it was odd that they didn’t let you adjust the difficulty up or down. Must have been cut to save dev time or something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly any mechanical lacking to be found in YLAD is almost certainly due to the studio being new to jrpgs. See: how shallow the job system is.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SpiderLink posted:

I think in the remasters they took out a lovely thing he says to Hana, his secretary? Or maybe I just missed it my last go around.

Making fun of her for eating alot or being fat? He kind insinuates that but doesn't outright say it.

Btw what's wrong with the army training dude on the roof? I thought he was gonna train me with a 1v1 fight but the bastard pulls out a machine gun. He seems even crazier than Y3's beach trainer dude.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ulio posted:

Making fun of her for eating alot or being fat? He kind insinuates that but doesn't outright say it.

Iirc the original translation has him laughing at the idea that “a delicate flower” is at risk because no one would want to rape her, and the current remaster has him laughing at the idea of her being delicate, which seems way more in character since there’s a whole substory about Akiyama trying to set her up on a date when she starts dieting because he thinks she’s fine the way she is and wants to prove it to her too.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The original Japanese lines (still intact in the remaster, and they're voiced lines so you'll hear that version if you know the language) has Hana complaining she can't go home because there are scary guys outside and she might get raped, and Akiyama laughing at the idea (to the writers' credit, I think it might actually be about him knowing Hana can probably kick any potential rapist's rear end, and not him disbelieving anyone would want to rape her).

The remaster translation removed all references to rape and turned it into Hana describing herself as a "delicate flower" (she doesn't do that in Japanese) and Akiyama making fun of that.

Also, how can anyone confuse Osaka and Okinawa? I'd have thought Osaka, the second largest city in Japan, is famous enough for that to be unlikely just thanks to common knowledge.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

orenronen posted:

Also, how can anyone confuse Osaka and Okinawa? I'd have thought Osaka, the second largest city in Japan, is famous enough for that to be unlikely just thanks to common knowledge.

I know the two are different places but it was just a typo when I was writing that since both start with O, my brain wrote whatever I thought of that moment. It was more of a mindless error than actually thinking Y3 takes place in the city of Osaka. I thought that would have been obvious enough.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ulio posted:

I know the two are different places but it was just a typo when I was writing that since both start with O, my brain wrote whatever I thought of that moment. It was more of a mindless error than actually thinking Y3 takes place in the city of Osaka. I thought that would have been obvious enough.

And in my defense I was a few beers in when I replied with Osaka as well. Didn’t give it a second thought lol

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
There should be a Yakuza Warriors Musou game so we can play as characters like Hana, Rikiya, the Florist, Demon Bear, the Misters Libidos and Shakedowns, and many more.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
not sure who needs to hear this and didn't know already that the official music video for the main theme from 7 features the Shonan no Kaze band members lovingly rendered in the Dragon Engine, but it absolutely does and it's glorious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmLrJTpOx4A

Ichiban Ka is a great song in general: relentlessly upbeat and a little crazy, just like our gamer-brained idiot hero.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
have these games always had blood psrays and i just didn't notice, or did they add those for the video?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Not only bloodsprays, sometimes the blood will pool under a defeated enemy.

They're fine, don't worry about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also really liked LAD, I just wish they’d add difficulty options for losers like me who aren’t good at jrpgs and don’t like grinding, but otherwise adores what that game was doing. Seems like most games, including other jrpgs are doing that (ie, p5’s safety mode, where it’s literally impossible to lose) so I thought it was odd that they didn’t let you adjust the difficulty up or down. Must have been cut to save dev time or something

The main problem in LAD is that the difficulty comes from being grindy rather than the decisions the player makes. Persona 5, if played decently, doesn't require any grinding. But LAD virtually requires that you do a bunch of extra content because it suddenly jacks up the enemy stats (and the strategy mostly just consists of finding the best skills and spamming them).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
100% side stuff in LAD is getting tedius which is the point, but man the narrowing of my Takedown: slots means I gotta do 4 separate trips to Kamurocho Mystery Dungeon and that's just like excessive grind. I'm up to 80 hrs now, I finished sidequest hero and Ichiban Holdings, and the drink links, and the weapon crafting.

The jump in difficulty was a brick wall. I'm a psychopath that farmed 10/10 Kiwami Lunchboxes, so I was fine. But how does the Speedrun get past the tojo legend crew?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

KirbyKhan posted:

100% side stuff in LAD is getting tedius which is the point, but man the narrowing of my Takedown: slots means I gotta do 4 separate trips to Kamurocho Mystery Dungeon and that's just like excessive grind. I'm up to 80 hrs now, I finished sidequest hero and Ichiban Holdings, and the drink links, and the weapon crafting.

The jump in difficulty was a brick wall. I'm a psychopath that farmed 10/10 Kiwami Lunchboxes, so I was fine. But how does the Speedrun get past the tojo legend crew?

Rocket Launchers, Dart Airstrikes, pray for no paralysis

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Haha! I got the golden egg!!!! Only took 8 minutes of concentrates bgawking.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok I I'm listening to Ave Maria in the credits and this was a good Yakuza game. I like it most of all the ones I played.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Yakuza: Kiwami 2
Yakuza: 0
Yakuza: Kiwami 1

KirbyKhan posted:

Hi I just bought Yakuza: Like A Dragon and that dude in the wheelchair seems like a real dingus.

Holy poo poo he was a dingus!

KirbyKhan posted:

Aight, I'm nearing endgame. I adore both Eri and Saeko but I am absolutely terrified of romance options being bad. I also know that Ichiban is a true loyal man who would never go after everyone all at once just to see the scenes.

I ended up with volcel Ichiban. His true love was stabbed in front of his eyes microseconds after he finally did the impossible and convinced him to stop being a dingus

I don't think I'm gonna do bonus dungeon or bonus bonus dungeon. I am satisfied.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The normal bonus dungeon is honestly not that bad it's the level 99 one that's obscene.

Also I liked Ryo Aoki as a tragic villain but his VA will forever be Wei Shen to me~

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't remember the exact line but it's pretty neat IMO that the localization team for LAD was able to add in a tiny beat in the climax that wasn't in the JP script for Ryo Aoki due to not having to match the original lip flaps. Good performances in the dub all around. I even liked Kurylo returning because he kind of nails Kuroda's weird, semi-alien affect.

e: Wish I could figure out which line they added in without directly comparing the scene I think they did it to, though. Can't find a direct source now.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 21, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh nothing tragic about that villain. Motherfucker should have died in that coin locker 38 years ago instead of at the end of the game. But he does allow Ichiban to display true righteousness. The extreme example of the kind of stubborn, never give up attitude he gave all game long put up against the most entitled, ungrateful spoiled little dink who got played by a hostess and killed both his dumb fathers over it.

But Ichiban kept trying. He even got it in the end. But the Kume ties it all up by displaying the extreme of the kinda worldview Aoki displayed: kill people who are less than convenient and act as if you're doing them the favor. This is the empire that Ryo Aoki built with Bleach Japan, codified with his partner Ore-whatever who sang like a bird when he was grilled in that homeless camp.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gort posted:

It's fine, but Persona 5 does it better (Yakuza LAD has a much better heart than Persona 5 though). I'm interested to see how they do with a full game's worth of development time for Yakuza 8 - it's clear the Like a Dragon combat could've used a little bit more time to smooth the rough edges off.

To be fair to 7, it was going for more of a Dragon Quest style of RPG and in that respect it actually had better combat than the last DQ game.

(Overall I much prefer SMT style combat too though)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
new substory just dropped. play the yt link while watching the twitter.

https://twitter.com/YourGameTVlol/status/1538840529294721027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Yg_xsKW_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-S12-AXJw

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

To be fair to 7, it was going for more of a Dragon Quest style of RPG and in that respect it actually had better combat than the last DQ game.

(Overall I much prefer SMT style combat too though)

Oh yeah I only mentioned P5 in reference to baby mode difficulty options. Come to think of it, I can't remember if DQ11 had difficulty options, so maybe LAD was just doing an homage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh yeah I only mentioned P5 in reference to baby mode difficulty options. Come to think of it, I can't remember if DQ11 had difficulty options, so maybe LAD was just doing an homage

A whole slew of them with the Draconic Quest options, ranging from the basic “make enemies super strong” to mild stuff like “half exp from weak enemies” and kinda unconventional stuff like “can’t equip armor” and “can’t buy stuff from normal shops”.