Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
More shirtless Spock the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

wasn't it an italian guy who had made a career in hollywood out of pretending to be native american and had already been discredited?

or did they ALSO hire a random guy off the street?

I mean every episode of Bonanza is filled with Italian and Jewish folks playing Native Americans.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

'Iron Eyes' Cody is the famous 'trash makes native americans cry' guy who moved to LA and insisted he was Native American, down to regularly wearing costumes from films he was in as everyday wear just so everyone knew he was legit, and it wasn't until after his death that it was confirmed that he was from Sicily.

Jackie Marks is the Voyager Native American consultant who was already in LA when he published a book about being Native American as 'Jamake Highwater' and enjoyed the fame from that until the mid-80s when he was outed as a complete loving fraud who invented everything he ever wrote about being Native American yet somehow still got hired by Star Trek a decade later to tell them about being Native American.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SNW spoilers: the Sybok reveal at the end felt like nuTrek’s very first “Glupp Shitto” moment

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rynder posted:

More shirtless Spock the better

Just add "...Are you naked?" to every Spock interaction.

"Mr. Spock, time until collision? And... are you naked?"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

No, Captain, I'm about to be.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

kdrudy posted:

I mean every episode of Bonanza is filled with Italian and Jewish folks playing Native Americans.

One time the Jewish guy playing a Native American on Gunsmoke was Leonard Nimoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPEmUkhIoGc

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm catching up on SNW, I like that it's keeping the Trek tradition of stupid flashlights.

What good are shoulder mounted lights?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SuddenCactus posted:

I'm catching up on SNW, I like that it's keeping the Trek tradition of stupid flashlights.

What good are shoulder mounted lights?

Your hands are free to work and the area in front of you is illuminated so you can see what's about to kill a random redshirt. Plus the whole tactical vest just looks cool. As a single integrated prop for away mission scenes, there's far worse ideas.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your hands are free to work and the area in front of you is illuminated so you can see what's about to kill a random redshirt. Plus the whole tactical vest just looks cool. As a single integrated prop for away mission scenes, there's far worse ideas.

What if, and I know things are pretty wild and nuts in the future and all. But WHAT IF:

rather than:

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 17, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Chapel is a good character since the actor/writers seem to be walking the line well and not going "full Tilley".

You never go full Tilley.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The boatswains whistle every time Pike enters the command deck is goofy and I love it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Beef City posted:

What if, and I know things are pretty wild and nuts in the future and all. But WHAT IF:

That would obscure and/or mess up all the awesome hair

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's true, the tertiary directive is don't gently caress with your hair

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SuddenCactus posted:

The boatswains whistle every time Pike enters the command deck is goofy and I love it.

They're cargo-culting TOS, and getting it right. The goofiness isn't being laid on too thick, and grimdark seems to have subsided after Khan's granddaughter mellowed a bit.

Hopefully they continue to make use of the ensemble cast and not just make it the Pike/Spock/Chapel show.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SuddenCactus posted:

I haven't watched SNW yet but if this is true I friggin love it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

SNW is going to make Star Trek V relevant, and shiiiiiit, I'm ready for it.

Also, this episode had a really nifty shot in which it looked like Spock had a symbolic angel and devil on his shoulders. Surely somebody in production intended that.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 17, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Given it's television, there's a non-zero chance that's at least one reason why.

Ya don't gently caress with Pike's Peak :colbert:.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Blistex posted:

Chapel is a good character since the actor/writers seem to be walking the line well and not going "full Tilley".

You never go full Tilley.

Chapel is great because you're never quite sure if she became a medical person because she wants to save lives or because she likes to hurt people.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Chapel is great because you're never quite sure if she became a medical person because she wants to save lives or because she likes to hurt people.

So they're being careful not to disprove the fan theory that Chapel is Lwaxana under an assumed name.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jess Bush for Lwaxana in the inevitable TNG reboot in 15 years.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

HD DAD posted:

Jess Bush for Lwaxana in the inevitable TNG reboot in 15 years.

I'm having feelings...

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I can't watch every TNG episode, I've been spoiled by DS9 superiority. how is this guide to skip the bad episodes? https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/wiki/algernonguide_tng

I skip the "avoid" episodes and depending on the plot the just for fun or meh episodes.

This list has both Masks and Genesis as "Avoid." The whole thing is suspect.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

This list has both Masks and Genesis as "Avoid." The whole thing is suspect.

loving Devil's Due rates higher than Genesis or Masks on this list? Who wrote this? Satan?

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 18, 2022

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Worf delivers Keiko's baby, Barclay takes over the Enterprise with his super brain, a woman learns she's a Q -- all are "Just for Fun", but the one in which Picard gets to play Die Hard against Tuvok's actor gets an "Engage!"?

The list is 90% on the ball. But also, he has a major soft spot for boring Klingon politics.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CainFortea posted:

loving Devil's Due rates higher than Genesis or Masks on this list? Who wrote this? Satan?

Well, I don't disagree there, but I also really like Devil's Due.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Worf delivers Keiko's baby, Barclay takes over the Enterprise with his super brain, a woman learns she's a Q -- all are "Just for Fun", but the one in which Picard gets to play Die Hard against Tuvok's actor gets an "Engage!"?

The list is 90% on the ball. But also, he has a major soft spot for boring Klingon politics.

To be fair, those Klingon politics episodes are somehow the most plot-critical to DS9 of all of TNG, which is where the OP was coming from. Which is kind of sad, but also really funny.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 18, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

That episode is important plot wise because that's Tuvok setting up his deep cover as a criminal.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like any gang he tried to get in with would have questions, like "weren't you vaporised?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, the preview for next week's SNW sure is looking to be some real classic goofy Star Trek :allears:.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dabir posted:

I feel like any gang he tried to get in with would have questions, like "weren't you vaporised?"

Nope. He got in with the criminals by talking about how picard is so stupid that he thinks he can do a vulcan neck pinch. So he just let him do it and then bailed as soon as his back was turned.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I watched TMP with my sister today. Good god does that film earn its nickname. It's not just the extended special effects scenes, almost everything feels drawn out right down to individual line reads. Even going in knowing they were trying to stretch a TV pilot's worth of story out to movie length, it felt egregious. I'm not sure if there's even one episode's worth of actual material in that movie.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think the movie OWNS!!!!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

TMP isn't the best Star Trek movie, but it's the most Star Trek of Star Trek movies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It got pretty good in the last half hour, when things started actually happening. I knew the twist but it was fun watching my sister looking at that big old satellite with its big old dish and trying to work out why it looked familiar.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dabir posted:

I watched TMP with my sister today. Good god does that film earn its nickname. It's not just the extended special effects scenes, almost everything feels drawn out right down to individual line reads. Even going in knowing they were trying to stretch a TV pilot's worth of story out to movie length, it felt egregious. I'm not sure if there's even one episode's worth of actual material in that movie.

The directors cut is very good, it tightens the edit a lot and the long effects shots actually go by at a reasonable speed. They also filled in a lot of the unfinished effects shots with CGI, which a lot of people don't like, but I'm willing to go along with it because the shots were legitimately unfinished. There's a 4k remaster of the directors cut coming out or that just came out, and it sounds fantastic.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If you watch it on Paramount+ they have a Dolby Vision/Atmos upload of it which I watched. But tbh I love all of the TOS cast movies just because that's my favorite crew and watching them onscreen is just a good time for me no matter what

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The directors cut of TMP that's on Paramount plus is in 4k . It also loving rules.

edit:

I forgot that O'brien had to teach Keiko's class while she was away in addition to his other duties. What kind of poo poo is O'brien teaching these kids.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 19, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Do u think that when O'Brien's face gets really sweaty that it smells like a foot

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We needed more scenes of O'brien teaching Keiko's class

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Do u think that when O'Brien's face gets really sweaty that it smells like a foot

It smells like a potato and whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

sweet geek swag posted:

The directors cut is very good, it tightens the edit a lot and the long effects shots actually go by at a reasonable speed.

Still not quite a reasonable enough speed to keep me awake.

Yeah, overall, the director's cut is a step up, but huge chunks of the movie feel like time has come to a halt.