Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benkert out. Looks like the Pack won't trade Love and will ride with him as the primary backup.

https://twitter.com/KurtBenkert/status/1537887797494681600?t=DqsA9c1Kcew6uHbHPQrvPg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Eberflus has big time dick jauron vibes, think he is going to be a complete disaster.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

Eberflus has big time dick jauron vibes, think he is going to be a complete disaster.

Big Dick energy, eh?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

Was there a recent event that prompted this or are you just letting this thought loose into the ether? It's cool if it's the latter, I'm just curious.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Borom Whitehair would be a good name for a character in a bad fantasy novel.

Borom Whitehare is a member of the Long Patrol and helps to defend Salamandastron.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is my mantra going into the season.

Which means Fields will get injured week 1.

Oh he's going to be sprained at the end of week one, and out the rest of the season week 3.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Being a Bears fan is just constantly thinking of the worst possible outcomes to any decision or events.

And then being pleasantly surprised when it's only about 75% as bad as you think it's gonna be.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not as bad as being a lions fan with any sort of hope...

which is happening to me again.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm cool with my bad team still being fun to watch vs being a little better and completely miserable.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

He will be the Packers next HoF QB

I was going to comment about GB being due for 30 years of awful QB's but then I remembered how Minnesota keeps getting great WR's, RB's and defensive lines.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was there a recent event that prompted this or are you just letting this thought loose into the ether? It's cool if it's the latter, I'm just curious.

I was just thinking about the bears

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

surf rock posted:

Borom Whitehare is a member of the Long Patrol and helps to defend Salamandastron.

Lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Big Dick energy, eh?

It’s why Nick Foles had to go. Only room for one big dick.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s why Nick Foles had to go. Only room for one big dick.

That’s not what she said!

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

I was going to comment about GB being due for 30 years of awful QB's but then I remembered how Minnesota keeps getting great WR's, RB's and defensive lines.

I know we're all huge fans of Hugh McElhenny, but we have to face the fact that he was only a Viking for two seasons, and while it might seem like yesterday to you that was 60 years ago

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Danny LaFever posted:

Not as bad as being a lions fan with any sort of hope...

which is happening to me again.

I don't know if I can hold any hope for the Lions any more, especially given everything that's happened over the last 30+ years. At least when the careers of Barry and Megatron were squandered I could fall back on an, at one time, all time great hockey team along with a basketball team that won a few championships and was good or great more often than it was bad. Even the Tigers had a few decent runs while the Lions were punching themselves in the dicks by going winless in a season and having a starting QB commit a safety by way of a 15-step drop back (among so many other things).

Nowadays, all four pro sports teams are varying degrees of hot rear end though and I get the feeling that only the Wings have a realistic shot of being decent within the next few years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That’s not what she said!

Virginia said that? Oh my!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Virginia said that? Oh my!

That's why they call her Ol' "Fingercuffs" McCaskey

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Falconer posted:

I don't know if I can hold any hope for the Lions any more, especially given everything that's happened over the last 30+ years. At least when the careers of Barry and Megatron were squandered I could fall back on an, at one time, all time great hockey team along with a basketball team that won a few championships and was good or great more often than it was bad. Even the Tigers had a few decent runs while the Lions were punching themselves in the dicks by going winless in a season and having a starting QB commit a safety by way of a 15-step drop back (among so many other things).

Nowadays, all four pro sports teams are varying degrees of hot rear end though and I get the feeling that only the Wings have a realistic shot of being decent within the next few years.

Pessimism regarding the Lions is always prudent, but I do think the team is on an upswing. Granted, it's not like things could have gotten much worse from where Quinn and Patricia left the team, but Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell have done a lot to rebuild the team and the culture over the past year and a half. The offensive line in particular could easily be a top five unit if everyone remains healthy, the defensive line is likely to improve massively from the addition of Hutchinson, and the level of talent in the receiver room has skyrocketed from where it was at the start of the season last year.

Granted there's still giant question marks all over the secondary, and Goff is... well, Goff. But there is a lot of reason for optimism, and I'm legitimately excited to see how the team improves this year. And hey, even if they do suck again, like Parallelwoody at least they're fun to watch and I can root for everyone, which is a hell of a welcome turnaround from the Patricia years.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Lions players genuinely seem to get along with the coaching staff, which is made up of mostly former players. Good to great former players, even.

Whereas with Quinn and Patricia, everyone just hated them from top the bottom and players actively lobbied to get cut or traded to escape the nightmare that was the Lions tape room/locker room.

The city will erect an enormous bronze statue of Campbell sitting on a throne of skulls, Vigo the Carpathian-style, if he can manage to get the Lions 2 playoff wins in the next 4-5 seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Lions, on paper, with the schedule that they have (which I think is either the 3rd or 4th easiest in the league), are capabale of going 8-9 or 7-10 in 2022.

But one must always factor "Lions.txt" into any such predictions, which could take 8 wins and turn it into 5 wins by means of goofy late game bullshit that only happens to the Lions since time began.

I'm gonna split the difference and predict 6-11 in 2022. Even though they'll lose a lot, they'll likely still be somewhat competitive and fun to watch. Especially if Goff looks like an actual NFL QB like he did for the second half of last season once Campbell took over playcalling.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How much of that was them playing bad teams though

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

How much of that was them playing bad teams though

A lot, but they also totally dismantled the Cardinals in Week 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyTgTpLvH7w

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
The Lions’ schedule is so much easier this year than 2021 that, even if the talent level doesn’t improve, 6 wins should be very possible. People confidently predicting a playoff year are getting carried away though; the team is improving, but man did they start from a low point.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

firstyear posted:

The Lions’ schedule is so much easier this year than 2021 that, even if the talent level doesn’t improve, 6 wins should be very possible. People confidently predicting a playoff year are getting carried away though; the team is improving, but man did they start from a low point.

The play of Goff is the wildcard as to whether they're just gonna be mediocre or outright terrible again.

Their O-line is talked about as being in the top 10 in the league in 2022, D'Andre Swift is allegedly healthy to play behind said line, and their WR corps, as said earlier in the thread, is significantly better than last year, when their WR depth chart was the following:

Tyrell Williams (released midseason due to injury after Week 1)
Amon-Ra St. Brown (the only good WR the whole year, whose bulk of yardage and catches came in the second half of the year when everybody else was dead and there was nobody left to be WR1)
Quintez Cephus (Placed on IR after Week 5 due to a shoulder injury)
Josh Reynolds (claimed off waivers midseason; showed flashes of his old rapport with Goff)
Kalif Raymond (2nd best WR on the team last year; started 14 games after starting 4 the previous 4 seasons)
Tom Kennedy (Practice squad player who was promoted to the pro team because everyone else had died)
Trinity Benson (Caught 10 passes in 8 games he appeared in after the Lions traded a 6th round pick to the Broncos for him at the end of the preseason)

Their 2022 WR corps is the following, prior to training camp/preseason:

Kalil Pimpleton (UDFA out of Central Michigan, where he caught 170 balls for 2,131 yards and 12 touchdowns in 3 seasons)
Kalif Raymond (Fresh off a 2 year, 9.5 million dollar contract extension)
Tom Kennedy (Depth player)
DJ Chark (On 1 year, 10 million dollar deal)
Corey Sutton (UDFA out of Appalachian State, where he caught 146 balls for 2,278 yards and 24 touchdowns in 3 seasons)
Josh Reynolds (Fresh off a 2 year, 12 million dollar contract extension)
Jameson Williams (12th overall pick in 2022 Draft; recovering from ACL injury and is expected to be ready by Week 4 or 5; caught 79 balls for 1,572 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2021 at Alabama before his National Title Game injury)
Trinity Benson (I still don't know where he fits in)
Quintez Cephus (See: Trinity Benson)
Josh Johnson (UDFA out of Tulsa, where he caught 166 balls for 2,119 yards and 13 touchdowns in 3 seasons)

...and, of course, Amon-Ra St. Brown (The Sun God; hopefully picks up right where he left off in 2021; his last 6 weeks looked like the following, and he was named the December Offensive Rookie of the Month)

Had he been a primary option the first half of the season, he might've ended up with 120+ catches for 1,300+ yards. Dude was a steal in round 4 of last year's draft.

TJ Hockenson is also back playing for a huge contract extension.
They drafted James Mitchell (TE) out out Virginia Tech in the 5th round.
And last week they signed Devin Funchess out of free agency to play TE, his original position in college.

Whole lotta If's, but I think that offense can pull 6 wins out of it's butt. The defense, which lost practically everyone to injury at some point last season, is also almost certainly going to get better, especially since they're trying to build something that resembles a real world pass rush, something that hasn't existed since the days of Ndamukong Suh giving people german suplexes through folding tables.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 19, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gonz posted:

A lot, but they also totally dismantled the Cardinals in Week 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyTgTpLvH7w

I mean the cards are a pretty bad team in the second half of the season.

That shouldn’t be a thing but it consistently is

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Falconer posted:

As the son of a yooper (and nephew of a former member of Da Yoopers), I'm a Packers fan who otherwise roots for Michigan teams. Personally, I'm pretty excited for the Pistons and Red Wings! I think Weaver and Yzerman are both doing a really good job on those long-overdue rebuilds.

I have zero hope for the Tigers.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

surf rock posted:

As the son of a yooper (and nephew of a former member of Da Yoopers), I'm a Packers fan who otherwise roots for Michigan teams. Personally, I'm pretty excited for the Pistons and Red Wings! I think Weaver and Yzerman are both doing a really good job on those long-overdue rebuilds.

I'm cautiously optimistic towards the Pistons because so far there haven't been any moves from Weaver that I really disliked. Similarly, the Captain's done a decent job of keeping the Wings from regressing to the Dead Things era so I still have a good deal of goodwill at the moment. The Tigers are trying but I suspect they're going to be a few steps short of mediocrity for a few more years.

The Lions... well, I don't see them being worse than they were last year. That's about as confident as I'm willing to be right now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
As someone who had to change a diaper for the first time a few months ago, this video speaks to me

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1538657628632387584?t=hjnJS1pJ7426k1wUk8qfhw&s=19

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
the only important offseason news out of Minnesota:
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1538959874171629568?t=nj6yblmyLXpvRQepLZT6Fw&s=19

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As someone who had to change a diaper for the first time a few months ago, this video speaks to me

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1538657628632387584?t=hjnJS1pJ7426k1wUk8qfhw&s=19

I didn’t realize that Alex Anzalone was in Steel Panther until just now.

Dude has luxurious late 90’s Triple H hair.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

surf rock posted:

My uncles were incredibly into da Yoopers, that's hilarious you're related to one. I've been to the tourist trap a few times

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I already miss him

Mfw Mitch had a great practice

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

New Watchman still gonna be about race, I see.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BrendanSugrue/status/1539994781643952130

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Dexo posted:

Being a Bears fan is just constantly thinking of the worst possible outcomes to any decision or events.

And then being pleasantly surprised when it's only about 75% as bad as you think it's gonna be.

This is true for the Vikings, Bears, and Lions fans here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ajdavis22800/status/1540053327710396420

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It’ll be some monkey paw poo poo where the bears finally have a good qb and then they’ll have like the 31st defense and miss the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He may be good but with that line it will take a miracle for him to stay healthy for even half the games