Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Boofy posted:

so what was that gunpowder guy's superpower, anyway? just 'being really good at guns' like that guy in the really bad wolverine movie?

He ricoched a bullet off two pillars, so I'm guessing his power is 'superhumanly good with guns', like Cap with his shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's just ocelot

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Gynovore posted:

He ricoched a bullet off two pillars, so I'm guessing his power is 'superhumanly good with guns', like Cap with his shield.

i think he's still superhuman strong but not v24 or the 7 strong

he did seem a bit rusty only grazing butcher though, i guess that's what decades of giving NRA speeches instead of practical experience does

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Goast posted:

i think he's still superhuman strong but not v24 or the 7 strong

he did seem a bit rusty only grazing butcher though, i guess that's what decades of giving NRA speeches instead of practical experience does

If I saw it right, butcher put together what Gunpowder was doing at the last moment and flinched away.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Great episode

What's up with Legend having Soldier Boy's suit? Wasn't he wearing it in Central America when he got shipped off to Russia? Was it a backup suit or something? That made no sense

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I imagine supes have multiple copies of their suits since they seem to wear them pretty much everyday.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Elephant Ambush posted:

Great episode

What's up with Legend having Soldier Boy's suit? Wasn't he wearing it in Central America when he got shipped off to Russia? Was it a backup suit or something? That made no sense

Maybe it was a stunt suit instead of a hero suit (assuming Vought was doing movies way back then, in movie props the hero props ones are the ones that look pretty for the camera while the stunt props tend to be a bit more plain but can take more abuse, and there's always a couple spares) or from before a refresh, like A-train's blue suit to his current one. This backup one has all sorts of old man smells in it though, and the crotch is kinda itchy.

(I honestly didn't think of it till you asked)

Kind of interesting that the chest piece seemed to have survived the death beam, since I'm pretty sure that's a new power. Or maybe it did get torched and he ends up covering it up later, I dunno.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the scene where Soldier Boy gets taken - did Stan know (I have to assume he did) about the upcoming abduction and what was his actual plan before his team of idiots hosed everything up by flying around and killing everyone.

Or was that part of his plan - if the supes provoke a confrontation with forces they already know are in the area preparing for the abduction* and kill everyone on both sides, there are no witnesses to talk about it and they can make their "Soldier Boy had a nuclear power plant dropped on them" cover story.

Mallory was career CIA, she wasn't about to talk and Stan probably didn't want to piss off the CIA that much by killing her, so they let her live. Or at the very least, didn't simply kill her out of hand once they found she's survived the battle.

* including a helicopter no one saw arriving.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I remember right, I think there is a scene of Stan discussing that "everybody" is okay with the plan but they haven't told Gunpoint because they don't think he'd go for it. Given that Countess tells Soldier Boy they all hated him, I assume that Stan had decided (or been told, he wasn't CEO at that point I assume) that Soldier Boy was becoming more of a problem than an asset and it was time to get rid of him, and the rest of the team was more than happy to betray him, not expecting that they'd mostly be wiped out in the process.

That said, it is interesting that Soldier Boy was handed over to the Russians. Vought seems to be extremely possessive of their science, so I wonder if they assumed Soldier Boy's invulnerability would prevent the Russians from getting any useful information while having the benefit of keeping Soldier Boy on ice? It's a pretty dangerous gamble, especially given it creates the potential for brainwashing and a Winter Soldier style issue where suddenly Soldier Boy is a Soviet Super Soldier.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

The reason Homelander isn’t afraid of super terrorists is because he created them for publicity reasons. Stan Edgar explicitly chides him for this in season two.

right but also because he has an idea of how powerful they are and felt he could still easily take them

tokin opposition posted:

I'd say go to more gay bars but they've got more than enough annoying heteros

wasn't talking about gay bars. meant specifically in public like in time square or whatever they were at

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Great episode

In my mind he 100% used it in his coke fueled sex orgies. Probably with Soldier Boy.

As Nero Danced posted:

Kind of interesting that the chest piece seemed to have survived the death beam, since I'm pretty sure that's a new power. Or maybe it did get torched and he ends up covering it up later, I dunno.

I do wonder if he's always had that power or if it was just a production mistake that they forgot to show the suit damaged.

e: maybe he did always have it and he caused the 3 Mile Island incident or whatever the cover up was by getting super high and loving around with his radioactive chest blasts. So then Vought has enough of his poo poo and gives him to the Russians in Nicaragua

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 19, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Yes I also thought this. Baby teleports on its own, Homelander puts his body in front of butchers and absorbs most of the blast, flies him away at whatever regular speed so butcher doesn't die because it's not as fun killing him as tormenting him.

Wasn't butcher wearing a few of the explosives?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So then Vought has enough of his poo poo and gives him to the Russians in Nicaragua

i think when you're getting kidnapped by russians in nicaragua and you explicitly don't want to be kidnapped by russians in nicaragua, that would be a really good time to detonate your chest nuke to stop the russians kidnapping you in nicaragua if you had said power

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I do wonder if he's always had that power or if it was just a production mistake that they forgot to show the suit damaged.

I assume it's a side effect of the Russian experimentation. There was a line to the effect that they put Chernobyl up his rear end.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, he wasn't radioactive before. I think it's in one of the x-rays about how it's a new power for him.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I was kinda hoping they'd do more sly inversions of the goofy comic book physics stuff. I'm trying to think if the show ever did a "superhero bends the barrel of someone's gun" shot because that's another visual that shows up in like every superhero and superhero-adjacent piece of media despite being very obviously dumb if you think about it for half a second.

Not exactly the same thing but at the very beginning of Episode 1 Homelander uses his laser eyes to melt a robber's gun (which I think is kinda a comic book staple as well) and basically in superheating it he winds up burning the crap out of the robber and dripping molten metal all over his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkM06quFfwc

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I assume it's a side effect of the Russian experimentation. There was a line to the effect that they put Chernobyl up his rear end.

Oh yea I completely agree. I was just spitballing the silly possibility of something else.

Still strange to have such a production mistake by not having a hole burned through the front of his suit after he melted Crimson Countess. Or maybe I am greatly overthinking how his powers work :v:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, he wasn't radioactive before. I think it's in one of the x-rays about how it's a new power for him.

Neat.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

oh okay cool. i thought i was going crazy cause i didn't think he had explosion powers and was basically like homelander

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hughie and Starlight's relationship is so doomed.

Turning point for me was when he said the mission was "too dangerous" for her, an actual full-time supe and member of the Seven, and to leave it to him with his temporary V-powers. It's not just that he can't cope with being weaker than his girlfriend, he's not even happy if they're equals. He has to be the one 'saving' her and it came across super condescending.

And the kicker is, when she phoned him and said she was in danger he convinced her to stay. So for me he can't even convincingly argue it's about keeping her safe, this is all about fulfilling his twisted notions of being the strong, protective one in the relationship.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boofy posted:

so what was that gunpowder guy's superpower, anyway? just 'being really good at guns' like that guy in the really bad wolverine movie?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Reminding me of that dude's thousand-yard stare as he describes the day he ran out of arrows

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It might not be an eruptive power. CC had a power blast that came out of her hands when she brought them together, his starts in his chest but might not actually erupt from it. Might just charge up inside and then manifest in front of him.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Wheeee posted:

the palpable dread of everyone around him, even the strongest supes, is more effective than a scene showing him tearing some guy in half or whatever

The trick isn't to waste time filming entire scenes around his immunity to all (known) forms of damage—the trick is to subtly sprinkle in hints to it in already established scenes. If I was writing episodes, I would simply do the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Let's take the scene where he and Stormfront are sadistically killing those street thieves, while groping each other. Let's say the one who gets his head smashed tries stabbing Homelander in the eye a few times. It doesn't work—Homelander doesn't even need to blink. The scene then proceeds as normal.

[One could also do the knife thing with the bank robber whose heart Homelander tried to rip out, in the very first episode]

2) Take one of the scenes where Homelander's drinking milk (the scene with Stillwell's breast milk, one of the scenes with Doppelganger pretending to be her, the scene where he and Ryan are watching the news story of Stormfront being a Nazi), and tweak it where some fills said milk with something cartoonishly deadly... Like Botulinum Toxin, or something like that. Could be Stillwell herself, Doppelganger, Ryan's Mom... anyone. Regardless, Homelander chugs it, doesn't notice, and the scenes play out as normal--Homelander is completely unfazed.

3) Do something creative with the Vought soldiers who storm Ryan's house looking for him, and get slaughtered by Homelander. Let them use all kinds of crazy weapons and nerve agents and all that—to no avail.

4) Instead of jerking off on the top of Vought's towers, have him jerking off in the center of the sun, or on the moon, or some other astral body. Would also be hilarious, having that display of power mixed him childishly declaring he can "do whatever the gently caress [he] WANTS".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little things like that are all you need. Let Homelander's invincibility be so absolute, it doesn't even need to be the focus of any of his scenes—don't even draw attention to it.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 19, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
who is needing homelander to demonstrate his invincibility better? bc gently caress em they sound stupid

hughie level stupid

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Someone literaly just posted a montage that included him being shot with dozens of bullets and not even flinching but yeah jerking off in the sun sure why not.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Bussamove posted:

Someone literaly just posted a montage that included him being shot with dozens of bullets and not even flinching...

Nah, that's been done to death—and it's not even THAT awesome a display of power :cheeky: !

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoever makes his capes does an amazing job considering how often he's shot and they don't even tear or smudge. Vought has some amazing Scotchgard tech.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what if the gun was firing bullets we were shown to be super bullets instead of regular bullets

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

Nah, that's been done to death—and it's not even THAT awesome a display of power :cheeky: !

It's establishing his invincibility by drawing a comparison to Superman, since standing there taking bullets was a big Superman thing.

It's even better than him jerking off in the sun or whatever because that might confuse the viewer. You have him do some Superman poo poo and the viewer goes "oh, he's the Superman of this fictional universe. I immediately understand his powers."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

what if the gun was firing bullets we were shown to be super bullets instead of regular bullets

Really appreciate the detailed scene of injecting each bullet with Compound V.

I think Homelander should constantly be setting off hand grenades in his own mouth otherwise how am I supposed to know he’s super tough?

No all those other examples don’t count anyone could survive a train being dropped on them come on.

E: Come to think of it I would actually find a scene where he takes a big bite out of a hand grenade someone is threatening to use like it was an apple loving hilarious.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

It's establishing his invincibility by drawing a comparison to Superman, since standing there taking bullets was a big Superman thing.

It's even better than him jerking off in the sun or whatever because that might confuse the viewer. You have him do some Superman poo poo and the viewer goes "oh, he's the Superman of this fictional universe. I immediately understand his powers."

A big part of The Boyz, however, is that it lampoons and subverts a lot of the expectations we have of superhero scenes—for example, Homelander pointing out why he couldn't save the plane with any of the plans Maeve was suggesting at the time.

Thus, guys like me can't help but think "Ok, but what if they did this? What if they did that?". There's just no reason not to include little things like that, when the show's already pushing the "more realistic than your average supe-show" thing.

Bussamove posted:

E: Come to think of it I would actually find a scene where he takes a big bite out of a hand grenade someone is threatening to use like it was an apple loving hilarious.

Plus, you could get fun little scenes like that, lol.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 19, 2022

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
maybe homelander could have a contest like a-train's race in the first season where he invites all the superheroes to drop increasingly heavy things on his head off of voldemort tower, the episode ends with all the supes shrugging and going "i guess he IS invincible"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is homelanders butt muscles super strong

If he clamps down can his bussy crush your penis off?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

A big part of The Boyz, however, is that it lampoons and subverts a lot of the expectations we have of superhero scenes—for example, Homelander pointing out why he couldn't save the plane with any of the plans Maeve was suggesting at the time.

Thus, guys like me can't help but think "Ok, but what if they did this? What if they did that?". There's just no reason not to include little things like that, when the show's already pushing the "more realistic than your average supe-show" thing.

I'm just telling you why they did the "done to death" impervious to bullets thing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

tokin opposition posted:

this happens in the comics

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I'm just telling you why they did the "done to death" impervious to bullets thing.

And it's a good point, absolutely. I'm just saying that the push for realism kind of changes things a bit for me (and presumably others), that's all!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Tune in next week to find out at Herogasm! :v:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I mean, Popclaw did it with her genitalia and/or thighs...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm sure Herogasm has a lot of sex injuries they have to pass off as injuries performing in the line of duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's pretty funny this whole thing, idk, there are currently two shows on TV, in fact both on Amazon Prime, that the entire premise is built on the concet of 'Hey, isn't Superman actually a super terrifying thing?' (on a sidenote, this concept itself is explroed in some Superman comics as well, but, yeah), one of them is Invincible which is an animated show so obviously we get superman to do crazy things all the time, the other show being the Boys where we had some shorthand to show that Homelander is on a whole different power level and other than that his power is more of a plot dynamic thing, everyone else is scared of him, every other supe on earth combined can't face up to him, and in my opinion that's enough like, you can't show million dollar supe fights like it's a marvel movie and even if you could we all know how those movies kinda falter in exactly this whole aspect, a very strong humanoid punching another strong humanoid with their strength levels varying minute to minute so that the fight has some dramatic back and forth, it really kinda sucks, we all know we're going to get a similar marvel battle between butcher and homelander but the show is already working on making that particular showdown more satisfying in because Billy basically has to sacrifice everything just to get to the point where there's even a point in him swinging a fist at homelander, the fact that Billy would just stand there knowing that Homelander can vaporize him where he stands is kinda what drives the whole show.

idk I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really doesn't feel like a failure of 'show don't tell' to me, Homelander is as strong as it gets, he can go on a genocide spree killing every human on the planet, I'm ok with that.