Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I just found a decent load of winter chanterelles and hedgehogs yesterday in the mountains east of Eugene. Definitely too early for morels up in the hills. The first ones we get here in western Oregon are in the valley riparian areas associated with big cottonwoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was considering going out this upcoming week for a preliminary look in my neck of the woods, does anyone have any general tips for what sorts of areas they like popping up in? near water? around paths? certain kinds of trees? i have all sorts of options out there. i like getting a variety of opinions from firsthand experiences since that's usually better than just reading some random article online.

Where you at?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dik Hz posted:

Where you at?

in the southeast

for a more detailed answer: middle tennessee area. i know it's a tiny bit early for us but the weather's been so weird lately, so i figure i might as well enjoy some of it this week and go out to see if i get insanely lucky in a couple days. going to get rain soon and it's been above 70 degrees the past few days. will absolutely be more thorough a couple weeks from now, if nothing else.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was considering going out this upcoming week for a preliminary look in my neck of the woods, does anyone have any general tips for what sorts of areas they like popping up in? near water? around paths? certain kinds of trees? i have all sorts of options out there. i like getting a variety of opinions from firsthand experiences since that's usually better than just reading some random article online.

I'm from near you (Kentucky) but this advice probably applies everywhere. Finding mushrooms depends on what the mushroom's food source is. Some live on dead wood, some on living roots, some on insects, etc. etc. That said, you can find a lot of mushrooms by looking around any fallen logs.

They're also seasonal. Winter is not great but as it gets into the warmer parts of spring you'll start to find them. Late summer / early fall is when things really get going though.

From about May - Nov I love to hike and just let my eyes sort of scan the bases of living trees and logs and I find tons. Once you start looking, you will see them everywhere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

vonnegutt posted:

I'm from near you (Kentucky) but this advice probably applies everywhere. Finding mushrooms depends on what the mushroom's food source is. Some live on dead wood, some on living roots, some on insects, etc. etc. That said, you can find a lot of mushrooms by looking around any fallen logs.

They're also seasonal. Winter is not great but as it gets into the warmer parts of spring you'll start to find them. Late summer / early fall is when things really get going though.

From about May - Nov I love to hike and just let my eyes sort of scan the bases of living trees and logs and I find tons. Once you start looking, you will see them everywhere.

oh hell, thank you for the response but i guess i should have clarified i was following up on the previous post about morels. they sound kinda elusive at times and i've heard a variety of things about what they might like springing up near but i think i might have a decent shot at them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the southeast

for a more detailed answer: middle tennessee area. i know it's a tiny bit early for us but the weather's been so weird lately, so i figure i might as well enjoy some of it this week and go out to see if i get insanely lucky in a couple days. going to get rain soon and it's been above 70 degrees the past few days. will absolutely be more thorough a couple weeks from now, if nothing else.
Dead Elms if you can find them. Like 2-4 years dead. Bark still on the branches but twigs have dropped.

Otherwise look for large cottonwoods in the river bottoms. The right time to look is when the oak trees have leaves the size of a squirrel’s ear and the azaleas are in full bloom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dik Hz posted:

Dead Elms if you can find them. Like 2-4 years dead. Bark still on the branches but twigs have dropped.

Otherwise look for large cottonwoods in the river bottoms. The right time to look is when the oak trees have leaves the size of a squirrel’s ear and the azaleas are in full bloom.

that's insanely specific and helps me narrow things down a bit, thank you. hopefully i can score something sooner or later and provide pictures!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's insanely specific

Yeah that’s morels for ya. Up here it’s dead elms and live tulip poplar.

Personally I’ve only ever found half-free morels (Verpa, not Morchella iirc) under tulip poplar but I kind of skip morel season except as an excuse to hike.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Gearing up for morel season in Michigan and I have a hard time identifying trees in the wild. Does anyone have any tree identification apps or flashcard .pdfs I can use for reference? Cell reception is poor in the woods, so that's a consideration. I have iNaturalist already and it doesn't run regularly in the woods.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GodspeedSphere posted:

Gearing up for morel season in Michigan and I have a hard time identifying trees in the wild. Does anyone have any tree identification apps or flashcard .pdfs I can use for reference? Cell reception is poor in the woods, so that's a consideration. I have iNaturalist already and it doesn't run regularly in the woods.
Know how to spot a dead elm and a cottonwood. All you really need.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Found 1 morel mushroom at my new house in one of the creek bottoms around tulip poplars. Let's loving go.

Rain on Tuesday should put up more.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dik Hz posted:

Found 1 morel mushroom at my new house in one of the creek bottoms around tulip poplars. Let's loving go.

Rain on Tuesday should put up more.

Last fall I bought 3 packs of morel spores and sprinkled them on a couple spots on my lawn that should, in theory, be good morel spots. Gave them some nice compost to eat, too.

I don't have high hopes it'll amount to anything, especially the first season, but fingers crossed.

Other than that, I have only found one single morel, though I really only got into mushroom foraging last year, but have been doing general plant foraging for like 3 years, and still only ever found that single one. It was late in the season, too, so it was dried out and have eaten by bugs and slugs so it wasn't even worth picking anyway! But I did make a note where I found it so I'll go back this year soon to check...still a little too early in my neck of the woods, but soon it'll be morel season.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Finding Morels is really about putting in the miles. I didn't find any in Arkansas for like three years, but I was out as much as possible. Finally tripped over a huge bunch of em on public land. It's why everyone guards their spots zealously. They're hard to find and on a timer. Since I moved, I haven't got out cause I know I'll have to put in the effort and the good land for it is pretty far away.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

We found a nice little patch this past week. No elms nearby, just a lot of sycamores, soil temperature exactly 50 and the day after a rain. The funny thing is we found it by hiking down a hill but someone else clearly had been accessing it by way of a garden hose tied to a tree and used to rappel up from a train track embankment.

But why garden hose and not rope?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my first guess would be they wanted something weather-resistant and a garden hose is probably more readily accessible for someone than a nylon rope or whatever

on an unrelated note i haven't found any morels yet but i stumbled on a couple spots of wood ears growing and have been using those in soups. i can call myself an official forager now!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A hose also just looks like regular old forest dumped trash if you’re not lookin real close

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone finding morels yet?

My lady and I had the most amazing moment the other day when we were walking around the neighborhood and just happened to find a nice handful of morels in various mulch piles (Seattle area). I always thought mulch morels were an urban myth, but we easily got more morels from that walk then we've ever found in the wild.

Field trips with the mycology society are starting up this weekend, but they won't be going to eastern washington for another 2 weeks. I think it might be a little early in that area, since it was snowing in Leavenworth like...a week ago. Still, hopefully it'll be a better year than last year. Last year was the worst.

edit: mostly just writing this for my PNW peeps. It's almost that time....

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Starting to see the first summer mushrooms pop up here in southeast NC. Russulas and amanitas. Anyone finding anything good? I don’t know what’s tasty to look for this time of year.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dik Hz posted:

Starting to see the first summer mushrooms pop up here in southeast NC. Russulas and amanitas. Anyone finding anything good? I don’t know what’s tasty to look for this time of year.

I haven’t really been out yet up here. I think people are finding morels and I don’t have the time to hunt anything hard to find rn.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Saw this fella outside my house under a western red cedar. Looks like a Prince? Bigger than my hand. I'm in Seattle

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Saw this fella outside my house under a western red cedar. Looks like a Prince? Bigger than my hand. I'm in Seattle

Definitely not an agaricus augustus, gills are too light for a mature specimen, stem is too thin and the ring isn't right. More likely a shaggy parasol (Chlorophyllum rhacodes) or parasol (Macrolepiota procera). Could definitely also be a chlorophyllum molybdites. It might be a good exercise to pick the youngest one and take a spore print!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Siamang posted:

Definitely not an agaricus augustus, gills are too light for a mature specimen, stem is too thin and the ring isn't right. More likely a shaggy parasol (Chlorophyllum rhacodes) or parasol (Macrolepiota procera). Could definitely also be a chlorophyllum molybdites. It might be a good exercise to pick the youngest one and take a spore print!
Doesn’t look like a chlorophyllum molybdites to me but a green spore print would give it away. Looks more like some kind of amanita.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dik Hz posted:

Doesn’t look like a chlorophyllum molybdites to me but a green spore print would give it away. Looks more like some kind of amanita.

Definitely not an amanita. I was torn between shaggy parasol and prince. Seek thought parasol and i've had other ones in my yard before. But I was comparing some of the gill shape online and was thinking it matched the images I saw of Princes a little bit better. I'm not eating it regardless but its neat to speculate. Ill try to spore print it if anymore pop. Only reason im not considering eating it is because im fairly sure my neighbor has been spraying weed killer in that area.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Found some cinnabar chants at my new house. Just came up.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Found some cinnabar chants at my new house. Just came up.

Whereabouts are you? I always look forward to chants after morel season.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GodspeedSphere posted:

Whereabouts are you? I always look forward to chants after morel season.

South of Raleigh in NC

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Found my first technically edible mushrooms of the year!

Gyromitra esculenta, sandmorkel in Norwegian. It is an extremely toxic false morel that can prepared for consumption through repeated parboiling, although small amounts of toxic and possible carcinogenic compounds remain. I left them undisturbed, but it was still cool to find them because I've never seen them here before.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Found my first technically edible mushrooms of the year!

Gyromitra esculenta, sandmorkel in Norwegian. It is an extremely toxic false morel that can prepared for consumption through repeated parboiling, although small amounts of toxic and possible carcinogenic compounds remain. I left them undisturbed, but it was still cool to find them because I've never seen them here before.

I always find a ton of these and always refuse to pick them. I don't want no shrooms that excrete toxic fumes once plucked.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

With all the crap people go through to eat them they must be insanely delicious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You'd think so, right? I usually find a tonne of A. muscaria later in the season and they're supposedly edible (without the deliriant effect) with multiple parboiling too. Could easily pick them by the kilo but it really doesn't sound worth the effort to me, how much tastier than all the other mushrooms that you can just fry and eat can they really be?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

With those false morel species I think tradition is a big factor where those are popularly eaten, it’s just a regular thing you do.

It also seems like the toxicity can be variable by locale.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’ve parboiled and eaten amanita muscaria and they were pretty good, but idk if they were really worth all the effort of preparation. And this is coming from someone with a salt jar of saffron caps on their countertop.

I also found, and picked, g. esculenta this weekend. They smelled great in the field, and I thought I might try processing them. Then they warmed up in the car and holy poo poo they REEKED of jet fuel (I think technically rocket fuel but I haven’t smelled that before). I ended up tossing them. Was really tempted to try setting them on fire though— I might do some combustion experiments if I find more of them (and you know I will).

I’m a pretty adventurous mycophagist myself, but I think g. esculenta is off my plate.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

elise the great posted:

I’ve parboiled and eaten amanita muscaria and they were pretty good, but idk if they were really worth all the effort of preparation. And this is coming from someone with a salt jar of saffron caps on their countertop.

I also found, and picked, g. esculenta this weekend. They smelled great in the field, and I thought I might try processing them. Then they warmed up in the car and holy poo poo they REEKED of jet fuel (I think technically rocket fuel but I haven’t smelled that before). I ended up tossing them. Was really tempted to try setting them on fire though— I might do some combustion experiments if I find more of them (and you know I will).

I’m a pretty adventurous mycophagist myself, but I think g. esculenta is off my plate.

Sounds like I didn't miss out on too much, then. Maybe I'll give the fly agarics a go this season, just for the novelty. How are the saffron caps in brine - I guess that's what you mean with the salt jar? We get a lot of milkcaps around here and I love them fresh, but I feel like they don't dehydrate as well as something like B. edulis. I haven't tried brining or fermenting them.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I saw these a couple weeks ago in Six Rivers NF at about 3,500 ft. I am not an expert mushroom-er, but they looked like false morels of some type.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ryanrs posted:

I saw these a couple weeks ago in Six Rivers NF at about 3,500 ft. I am not an expert mushroom-er, but they looked like false morels of some type.

Yep that’s a good bet

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
My wife and I have moved to Seattle and desperately want to go out looking for mushrooms but a) don’t know the areas well yet and b) have a small baby so we can’t exactly go on longer hikes. Anyone from this area know of some easy to get to locations where we might enjoy looking for mushrooms? I’m not asking for your secret chanterelle spots or anything, just wondering where a nice starting point might be.

We’re signing up to be members of the puget bay mycological group so I’m sure I’ll get some leads there, but always fun to ask a goon. Thanks!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Guido Merkens posted:

My wife and I have moved to Seattle and desperately want to go out looking for mushrooms but a) don’t know the areas well yet and b) have a small baby so we can’t exactly go on longer hikes. Anyone from this area know of some easy to get to locations where we might enjoy looking for mushrooms? I’m not asking for your secret chanterelle spots or anything, just wondering where a nice starting point might be.

We’re signing up to be members of the puget bay mycological group so I’m sure I’ll get some leads there, but always fun to ask a goon. Thanks!

Paging Elise. Elise please enter the thread.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Hi yes hello I am here. There are pleurotus out in HORDES on Rattlesnake Mountain, on the basic Rattlesnake Mountain Trail, which has some elevation and mosquitoes but is compatible with a baby carrier. If you feel intrepid and want to follow all the right turns when you meet the logging road, you might find cedar-eating chicken of the woods (I’ve eaten it, strong cedar flavor and more woody at the core, no GI distress).

At Tradition Lake, a very gentle and peaceful stroll off High Point, I’ve found Zellers, pleurotus, tiny puffballs, and many many kickable russula brevipes, all in autumn.

And I’ve found shaggy manes, chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasols), and chickens around the city proper, mostly Capitol Hill and Eastlake so far.

In fall, I hear Lake Kachess has chanterelles, but it’s a ways out, maybe 50 min out of Seattle.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

elise the great posted:

Hi yes hello I am here. There are pleurotus out in HORDES on Rattlesnake Mountain, on the basic Rattlesnake Mountain Trail, which has some elevation and mosquitoes but is compatible with a baby carrier. If you feel intrepid and want to follow all the right turns when you meet the logging road, you might find cedar-eating chicken of the woods (I’ve eaten it, strong cedar flavor and more woody at the core, no GI distress).

At Tradition Lake, a very gentle and peaceful stroll off High Point, I’ve found Zellers, pleurotus, tiny puffballs, and many many kickable russula brevipes, all in autumn.

And I’ve found shaggy manes, chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasols), and chickens around the city proper, mostly Capitol Hill and Eastlake so far.

In fall, I hear Lake Kachess has chanterelles, but it’s a ways out, maybe 50 min out of Seattle.

This is fantastic, thank you very much! We’ll start off around Capitol Hill and target Tradition Lake next. I’m super excited to get out and explore up here, good to have a couple I’d starting point ideas.

I like “kickable” as a side descriptor, that’s pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got some lions manes. How would you prep for pizza?