Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I knew a guy who would 3-box everquest at 2am bouncing his baby in one arm to sooth it. This was in.... 2010?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I am the baby

soothe me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noticed that Eve-Online bumped it's subscription fee up from $15 to $20 a month. :eyepop:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

I am the baby

soothe me

dm me

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Noticed that Eve-Online bumped it's subscription fee up from $15 to $20 a month. :eyepop:

No new blood and everyone else is a junkie.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I said come in! posted:

At the rate WoW is losing players, along with inflation, I would not be surprised if Blizz also does a price increase.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Apropos of nothing, if someone were to release a Project Zomboid mod that allowed several hundred people in the game at any given time, and increased the map to about double its current size, I think it would scratch the MMO itch for me really well. It's a really great game that already scratches my numbers go up/explore and loot a dangerous world itches, but multiplayer is hit and miss without a consistent group to play with, and the map is big enough that players get really scattered.

I'm always surprised there's almost no interest in it on these forums, it's a great game and seems like it'd be right up a lot of goons alley. Am I missing a thread for it somewhere?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zil posted:

At the rate WoW is losing players, along with inflation, I would not be surprised if Blizz also does a price increase.

That'll almost certainly make a couple of my guild mates never play again and that would be sad. Which is why I see them totally doing it. :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zil posted:

My hope is that with Microsoft being their new boss next year, WoW sub will come included in Game Pass.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I said come in! posted:

My hope is that with Microsoft being their new boss next year, WoW sub will come included in Game Pass.

That would be very interesting. They would have to change how they do a lot of things with BNet accounts if that were to take place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zil posted:

That would be very interesting. They would have to change how they do a lot of things with BNet accounts if that were to take place.

I am wondering if they will do what Bethesda decided to end up doing, which was to drop bethesda.net and move everything over to Steam and Game Pass.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

kedo posted:

Apropos of nothing, if someone were to release a Project Zomboid mod that allowed several hundred people in the game at any given time, and increased the map to about double its current size, I think it would scratch the MMO itch for me really well. It's a really great game that already scratches my numbers go up/explore and loot a dangerous world itches, but multiplayer is hit and miss without a consistent group to play with, and the map is big enough that players get really scattered.

I'm always surprised there's almost no interest in it on these forums, it's a great game and seems like it'd be right up a lot of goons alley. Am I missing a thread for it somewhere?

The Survival Games thread in Games discusses Project Zomboid when there's nothing else going on, generally.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kedo posted:

There is a thread yeah, it's just not a blockbuster because A) it's a fairly old game albeit with upgrades at this point and B) solo play is miserable whereas group play tends to get to be too easy fairly quickly. Once you stock up a bunch of beans there really isn't much to do other than wait until someone gets bored and causes A Problem with a loose gunshot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fairly sure the multiplayer can accomodate quite a few people. I remember watching Moonmoon and some other streamers play while letting a bunch of their viewers in. It did suffer from lag when they were all in spawn, but otherwise it was fine

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Zomboid has this issue where it has a bajillion verbs and interactions between a million things but so little of them are meaningful and it ends up being immense busywork and not actually a fun game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Has anyone here tried Nevergrind Online? Seems interesting - kinda like an MMO version of Wizardry.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Oldstench posted:

Has anyone here tried Nevergrind Online? Seems interesting - kinda like an MMO version of Wizardry.

A Wizardry Online did exist at one point, but it was from the earlyish days of it's transitional phase to a mostly Japanese series.

This game looks like it kinda has that old school party crawler thing going, and it's got a nice play offline function, but the real-time combat it apparently has is a hard sell for me given the base dungeon crawler design.

I get having a sort of timer for multiplayer stuff, but I'd prefer to be able to chill and strategize in this sort of format if I'm alone. Maybe it's better in practice than on paper, but it's not appealing to me as is.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Oldstench posted:

It's a good game with a (so far) friendly community that scratches some itch that I've had. However, Friend and I are already regretting buying it and we advice anyone else to maybe skip on this too. Not because of the game. But because the dev is a very outspoken anti-vaxxer with some crazy conspiracy bullshit. Has a youtube and everything. No I won't link it. He's also started branching out with patreon now cause of the success of this game. In case you're wondering why this hasn't really reviewed anywhere, this is probably why (other than being indie).

Massively OP has a review that they edited to say they didnt do their research and won't be covering the game any longer for example

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
answer to the OP is still no lmao

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Dackel posted:

dev is a very outspoken anti-vaxxer with some crazy conspiracy bullshit

Thanks for the heads up. Passing on this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just tell the dev that Covid is an environmental hazard for a level and that the vaccine is casting an antidote spell

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dackel posted:

It's a good game with a (so far) friendly community that scratches some itch that I've had. However, Friend and I are already regretting buying it and we advice anyone else to maybe skip on this too. Not because of the game. But because the dev is a very outspoken anti-vaxxer with some crazy conspiracy bullshit. Has a youtube and everything. No I won't link it. He's also started branching out with patreon now cause of the success of this game. In case you're wondering why this hasn't really reviewed anywhere, this is probably why (other than being indie).

Massively OP has a review that they edited to say they didnt do their research and won't be covering the game any longer for example

Oh poo poo, I already bought it. Welp. Won't be recommending it to anyone!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Stormblood LP begins its journey with a leisurely stroll through a warzone/wasteland. They say you should start as you mean to go on...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dackel posted:

I was about to post how awhile back I watched a great youtube video about why EQ was so great and I made the mistake of clicking the guy's channel and saw he had some stupid political videos so I know how that is.

Then I click on the video in that article and it's him lmao

edit: haha it uses EQ sound effects

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

EverCraft Online is doing a one-day stress test on Saturday. The game is very early alpha and very janky (only a few classes, content caps at level 10, unfinished quests, lots of bugs and WIP UI stuff etc.) but I've enjoyed my time with it so far.

ECO Discord posted:

📜 Community Alpha Test 📜
This Saturday, 6/18/22, the ECO Team will be opening the Fenla Alpha server to our community! We hope you will join us in this chance to get a brief introduction to Adrullan so far!

The purpose of this test will be for us to gather important data with the increased number of players - but also for you to see the strides we have made creating our world.

Although we are excited to get everyone's thoughts on the game, the main focus is more on server performance, and not on content or combat feedback. That being said, there is tons to do and explore in game!

As we are in a very pre-alpha state, we fully expect there to be server stability issues or bugs including those we may have not previously encountered. Due to this, please understand that we may decide to limit the server connections. This will be an important first step for us to widen our servers capability to a point where we feel comfortable letting people in more often, and on a wider scale.

The test will run from (tentatively) Saturday, June 18, 2022 12:00 PM to Sunday, June 19, 2022 3:00 AM (Eastern). If stability is looking good, we may even extend the test further into Sunday. After the test concludes, all progress will be wiped before the next test.

Look out for a public alpha channel where you can find out how to register and grab the client.

We look forward to adventuring with you all in Adrullan!

- The EverCraft Online Team
If you're a classic EQ/Project 1999 curmudgeon like me you might enjoy checking it out. It's very, very classic EQ-like in its mechanics (plays nothing like Minecraft at all, despite its appearance, it isn't a MC mod).

Sachant fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 16, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am in the alpha for it and yah, it is solidly eq 1 like

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I, sadly, never played EQ 1 so I don’t have a point for comparison - how boring is the combat? Is there any challenge? I don’t need fps/DDR combat to be entertained, but I don’t want to turn my brain off.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

kedo posted:

I, sadly, never played EQ 1 so I don’t have a point for comparison - how boring is the combat? Is there any challenge? I don’t need fps/DDR combat to be entertained, but I don’t want to turn my brain off.

It's more about decisionmaking than button pressing. A bad pull or a fleeing mob that social aggros other mobs before you can kill it will absolutely take a fight from no brainer to oh gently caress. Even one or two additional unanticipated adds can be scary. The massive consequences for death make this a big deal.

Speaking for ECO specifically one of the early dungeon-like areas is a bandit fort with lots of spawns in close proximity to one another and lots of patrolling mobs that also flee when at low health. You do have to be careful unless you just overlevel the area a lot.

That said, most of the actual mechanical combat is auto-attack with the occasional spell cast or ability usage.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sachant posted:

That said, most of the actual mechanical combat is auto-attack with the occasional spell cast or ability usage.

One of the actual best parts of EQ1. Just let me hit flying kick every 5 seconds or whatever it was and spend the rest of the time chatting.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 17, 2022

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Anno posted:

One of the actual best parts of EQ1. Just let me hit flying kick every 5 seconds or whatever it was and spend the rest of the time chatting.

Yeah I love this part of it too. All these remakes keep wanting to change that and I hate it (looking at you, Pantheon). Fortunately ECO seems to be resisting the urge.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sachant posted:

EverCraft Online is doing a one-day stress test on Saturday. The game is very early alpha and very janky (only a few classes, content caps at level 10, unfinished quests, lots of bugs and WIP UI stuff etc.) but I've enjoyed my time with it so far.

If you're a classic EQ/Project 1999 curmudgeon like me you might enjoy checking it out. It's very, very classic EQ-like in its mechanics (plays nothing like Minecraft at all, despite its appearance, it isn't a MC mod).

Looks interesting, joined the discord and we'll see how easy it is to get access before saturday

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sachant posted:

It's more about decisionmaking than button pressing. A bad pull or a fleeing mob that social aggros other mobs before you can kill it will absolutely take a fight from no brainer to oh gently caress. Even one or two additional unanticipated adds can be scary. The massive consequences for death make this a big deal.

Speaking for ECO specifically one of the early dungeon-like areas is a bandit fort with lots of spawns in close proximity to one another and lots of patrolling mobs that also flee when at low health. You do have to be careful unless you just overlevel the area a lot.

Nice, that sounds like something I could get behind. I don’t mind simple combat as long as there’s some sort of consequence involved. Thanks!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Dackel posted:

Here are some recent receipts from reddit. If you aren't interested in Nevergrind Online at all, just don't even look at any of that. Spare yourself the Sanity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dackel posted:

Here are some recent receipts from reddit. If you aren't interested in Nevergrind Online at all, just don't even look at any of that. Spare yourself the Sanity.

I googled after I read the Massively OP article and he uses the game's official site to blog about insane poo poo lol

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Sachant posted:

It's very, very classic EQ-like in its mechanics

My god even from the character creation screen this feels like EQ being rendered with Minecraft graphics. I created a Dark Elf Necromancer, loaded into the world and received a Spirit of Wolf buff, then wandered into a cleric (?) area and was promptly murdered inside of town.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Bognar posted:

My god even from the character creation screen this feels like EQ being rendered with Minecraft graphics. I created a Dark Elf Necromancer, loaded into the world and received a Spirit of Wolf buff, then wandered into a cleric (?) area and was promptly murdered inside of town.

Sounds pretty classic to me!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Dackel posted:

Glad I didn’t buy the game yet

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

EverCraft test was a lot of fun yesterday. Devs took a group photo part of the way through and then GM-spawned some scaled-up mobs to mob outside the city gate.

https://i.gyazo.com/fd685f4a8a5f306d28012ab78c74b123.mp4

Sachant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 19, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hell yeah I'm all in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That actually looks pretty neat. I'll give it a shot if/when it's in open beta