Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How fragile, that masculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for refusing to go home when my husband told me to?

quote:

SHE KNEW I WAS SICK, I TOLD HER I WAS SICK AND NEEDED TO GO HOME BUT SHE JUST WOULDN'T BELIEVE ME

The normal, adult reaction to vomiting in the middle of a family function is pure mortification and insisting awkwardly to help clean it up while you’re obviously still recovering, and others do it for you and offer consolation.

Even if this was entirely genuine (and lol, it obviously isn’t), this outburst would only be acceptable from a child. From an adult with the agency to hit da bricks? Assholery.

Hell, I remember vomiting in the bathroom during my cousin’s wedding reception when I was like 10 and I was able to clean it up myself and had the good sense to not make a big deal about it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for pointing out an acquaintance's grandfather was not a "war hero"?

quote:

Throwaway because of how specific the situation is.

I'm a 34M. An acquaintance of mine (a friend of friends; 38?M) is part Italian. His grandfather moved to the US in the late forties, remarried to an American woman who is acquaintance's grandmother, and lived to a pretty old age as far as I understand it. He's my acquaintance's absolute hero. I see this acquaintance quite often through my friends and he often talks about how his grandfather was a war veteran because of his service in the Italian Army during WWII.

At first I was like whatever, but lately I've come to know him as a pretty liberal guy. As such, it struck me as odd that he was so proud of his grandfather, given that he had served in the fascist Italian Army under Mussolini before WWII even started (so way before Italy switched allegiance - according to the acquaintance himself). One night, the acquaintance referred to his grandfather as a war hero. Not a veteran, a war hero.

Kind of drawing the line at dubbing the axis powers "war heroes", I said, "Well, I don't know about hero". He asked what that was supposed to mean. I said, "Well... I get he's your grandfather, but just don't feel comfortable with you glorifying Mussolini's fascist army like that." He got upset and said his grandfather wasn't a fascist. I crawled back, saying, "I'm sure he didn't really have a choice. But he did fight alongside the Nazis, that's just a fact." He kinda fell silent after this, so one of my friends backed me up.

Turns out, HE DIDN'T KNOW WHOSE SIDE ITALY WAS ON DURING THE WAR. He thought it was just Germany and Japan and therefore just assumed Italy was an allied power. Idk why honestly. I learned this in school, and I'm not of Italian descent. I just assumed he knew. So now I had inadvertently wrecked his whole image of his grandfather. He started denying it at first, saying it couldn't possibly be true. I admittedly rather superfluously tried to drive my point home be saying, "that's probably why he moved to the US after the war."

Looking back, I think that was a bit uncalled for because I have no idea if it's true and he was clearly just processing this revelation. So that's where I'd say I definitely was the rear end in a top hat. However, I heard from my friend the other day that the acquaintance has been pissed at me for the entire month since this happened, and blames me for ruining his view of his grandfather. I didn't mean to, but I also don't think I was in the wrong. AITA?

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like he should be thankful that someone stopped him from going around telling everyone that his granpa was a hero who fought for fascist Italy in WW2??

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

gay frog chemicals posted:

I feel like he should be thankful that someone stopped him from going around telling everyone that his granpa was a hero who fought for fascist Italy in WW2??
Or he was proud of fascist grandpappy because he's a fascist piece of poo poo as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Blue Moonlight posted:

The normal, adult reaction to vomiting in the middle of a family function is pure mortification and insisting awkwardly to help clean it up while you’re obviously still recovering, and others do it for you and offer consolation.

Even if this was entirely genuine (and lol, it obviously isn’t), this outburst would only be acceptable from a child. From an adult with the agency to hit da bricks? Assholery.

Hell, I remember vomiting in the bathroom during my cousin’s wedding reception when I was like 10 and I was able to clean it up myself and had the good sense to not make a big deal about it.

Gotta say that there are different levels of vomit. I'm still sore from my vomiting on Thursday evening with food poisoning. It was literally so violent that it hosed up my rib cage. My abdominal muscles hurt. My ribs hurt.

I **loving** hate rib pain. Holy poo poo! Y'all don't know how much it sucks. When it's bad you can't laugh or cough for like 6 months.

Drunk puke is like "oops, we're over capacity please casually eject the extras" while being food poisoned is EVACUATE EVACUATE EVACUATE EVACUATE EVACUATE. BOTH ENDS, LIQUID OUT THE TOP LIQUID OUT THE BOTTOM. FLUSH THE SYSTEM.

Based on previous rib cage injuries I expect this one to last a month or two, instead of the usual 6-8.. Much faster than the others. Fingers crossed.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Vomit guy is obviously a complete twat but also the fact that her family has a go at her is shocking. Somehow a fully grown man isn't able to just go home on his own or make the decision to not come out and that's her fault?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

J’acuseBLEEEHHHHRG

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I wonder how many weeaboos are also unaware that Japan allied with the Nazis.

Also guy who evicted his wife and child to host a party for his mates and guy who made himself sick to humiliate his wife are two of the most pathetic dudes this thread has seen in a while.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 19, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Do you know what you call someone who wasn’t really into politics, but joined the Fascist party because it got you perks at work and got you into good social circles, just like somone would join a country club?

A fascist.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

axolotl farmer posted:

Do you know what you call someone who wasn’t really into politics, but joined the Fascist party because it got you perks at work and got you into good social circles, just like somone would join a country club?

A fascist.

According to the Nuremberg trials, a follower and someone who shouldn't be persecuted. That definition was stretched to its absolute limits to include just about everyone except the real high-up nazis, who instead fled the country.

I understand that putting every member of the nazi party to trial wasn't feasible and I would agree that people who joined out of fear for themselves or their families shouldn't be held as accountable as the party leaders, but those trials were still a joke.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lot 49 posted:

Also guy who evicted his wife and child to host a party for his mates and guy who made himself sick to humiliate his wife are two of the most pathetic dudes this thread has seen in a while.

Probably not as many as you’d expect considering anime doesn’t really shy away from nazi poo poo. Is hetalia still a massive fandom for weebs?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why are we talking about Japan. The only post I saw was talking about Italy

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 19, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pomme de Terror posted:

"Ok sweetie. If you are sick you should go home and rest. Im staying because it is my sisters 18th. I'll get a lift home. You feel better soon. Bubye, see you at home"

Bingo bango, problem solved.

But this piece of poo poo refuses to let his wife have time with her family. (Even when he was given an out earlier, when he was told he didnt have to come if he was feeling sick)

gently caress his manipulative arse. Her family are probably only on his side becausr they dont know/realise the many other times he has pulled the "im sick, take me home" excuse

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pomme de Terror posted:

quote:

I told him it's not my problem and next time he does this I won't just play along. He smirked at me and we stopped bringing it up.

fellas, always be sure to get the smirk in before you pull some complete loving bullshit, your wife might not figure it out otherwise

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

Lol that reminds me of when I was a kindergartener and the elementary school was doing a "bring your veteran grandparents to school day for veterans day!". So I innocently asked if you need to be an american to be a veteran and of course the answer was no. So I excitedly brought my grandpa to school!

I'm chinese american. My grandpa was in the peoples liberation army :v:

Xun fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 19, 2022

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lot 49 posted:

Oh they're aware. To many of them it's just an abstraction that doesn't matter until and unless they decide it does.

I do not have the energy, time, nor inclination to cite the sources but there are so many loving anime over the decades that casually use Axis iconography the same way Evangelion used Christian iconography-- "lol who cares what it means I just thought it looked sick to put on an 8 year-old cartoon girl while I jerked it."

As someone who has cared for Holocaust survivors at end of life and watched dementia give them vivid flashbacks on their deathbed, I have very little loving patience for that bullshit.

quote:

It honestly makes me resent the incels I've had to deal with even more. Like my guys the bar is apparently this loving low and you still can't even clear it.

Xun posted:

Lol that reminds me of when I was a kindergartener and the elementary school was doing a "bring your veteran grandparents to school day for veterans day!". So I innocently asked if you need to be an american to be a veteran and of course the answer was no. So I excitedly brought my grandpa to school!

I'm chinese american. My grandpa was in the peoples liberation army :v:
Did your grandfather know that was why you were asking him to come in? If so props for the stones on him to walk into a US classroom.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for making my boyfriend flush the toilet after himself.

quote:

For context I 20f work in a restaurant where one if my jobs is to keep the bathrooms clean. My boyfriend 22m used to have a habit of not flushing the toilet when he was home because before his parents would do it. When we first moved in I told him to flush or I wouldn't talk to him. Its actually so gross. Anyways between dealing with work toilets never being flushed and home never being flushed I lost it. He was good for months after that about flushing. Now this morning is his birthday. I get up to use the toilet and a mess of piss and poo poo where there to greet me. I woke him up and told him to flush his mess and he claimed it wasnt him because he flushed. I told him I dont care and he needed to flush. When he was getting up he called me an rear end in a top hat for making him get up to do this. I know this is silly but I feel like I'm justified for making him get up and taking care of his mess but if I'm not I wanna know to apologize.

need to flush your fuckin' bf imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is this just being spoiled or were his parents water saving freaks who lost their poo poo if he flushed without permission?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

e: nvm, stretching too much for a joke

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this just being spoiled or were his parents water saving freaks who lost their poo poo if he flushed without permission?

hell if i know, but once again i find myself wondering what these dudes do living on their own. was this guy's bathroom just a lagoon of shitwater or did his mom come by to flush for him or what

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
bold of you to assume that dude has ever lived on his own

E: actually, that'd be a bold assumption to make for like half the stories in here

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Pomme de Terror posted:

When I was a little kid I had undiagnosed GERD and I figured out if I drank/ate the right things for breakfast (normal food stuff, nothing weird) I could upset my stomach enough that I'd barf & then I would use that to convince my parents I was sick and couldn't go to school. I wonder if he's got something similar going on... "thats my secret, I'm always on the verge of puking"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

bold of you to assume that dude has ever lived on his own

E: actually, that'd be a bold assumption to make for like half the stories in here

i guess before you have a dude move in with you, you need to ask his mom who does his laundry, cooking, and toilet flushing, just so you know what you're getting into

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's entirely possible, during bad drought years in CA we are encouraged to limit our flushing to solids only.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quantumwell posted:

That's entirely possible, during bad drought years in CA we are encouraged to limit our flushing to solids only.

That could become challenging if you have a bout of the "liquid shits"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't care about a drought. I'll start living with piss and poo poo aerosols when those rich assholes in the central valley finally install drip irrigation instead of whiny signs.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

cum jabbar posted:

That could become challenging if you have a bout of the "liquid shits"

please refer to the instructions. this situation falls under form 157 - poo poo exemptions. make sure to provide both video and audio evidence for verification.

please note that misrepresenting your poo poo is a serious offense. A person who falsifies evidence in order to gain an exemption to water restrictions is guilty of second degree bullshittery.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beachcomber posted:

I don't care about a drought. I'll start living with piss and poo poo aerosols when those rich assholes in the central valley finally install drip irrigation instead of whiny signs.
no, see, we need to grow all the loving almonds and whatever the gently caress they're growing there

residental water use may be approximately ten percent (actually it's 10% "urban" so that's also including all restaurants and such in the city) but no clearly we need to have golf courses and almonds

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Beachcomber posted:

dId yOU knOW wE WaSTe 78% oF oUr WaTeR?

Which is referring to the fact we let rivers flow. They're mad because instead of just taking every single drop of the rivers to spray on their water-hungry not-appropriate-for-whats-actually-a-desert crops, we let 80% of the water flow to the ocean. Sorry we're not full-on raping the environment I guess?

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

titty_baby_ posted:

When I was a little kid I had undiagnosed GERD and I figured out if I drank/ate the right things for breakfast (normal food stuff, nothing weird) I could upset my stomach enough that I'd barf & then I would use that to convince my parents I was sick and couldn't go to school. I wonder if he's got something similar going on... "thats my secret, I'm always on the verge of puking"

Out of curiosity how long did that last for?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I was raised with rain water tanks and each truck was near on half a grand for 10 kl in the 90's. If it was yellow, let it mellow, brown flush it down was not just our household when I was a kid. Then we installed a bore pump and mum ripped the half flush button out and yelled at us kids to flush every darn thing except the frogs because she liked frogs.
And snakes, we called mum if there was an eastern brown or a western taipan in the loo.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Agaragon posted:

Out of curiosity how long did that last for?

If you mean the GERD it comes and goes. Ive been really stressed out and anxious and it got to the point where I couldn't have breakfast or coffee/tea for a few months. Ive switched to dark roast (less acidic) and I eat breakfast later and I havent had any problems for a few years.

If you mean trying to get out of school.by triggering GERD, I'm not sure if it ever actually worked lol

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I [22M] am in medical school and my fiancee [22F] freaked out after seeing a diagram of a vagina in my anatomy textbook. Together for 6 yrs. I don't know what to do.

quote:

Some backstory: My fiancee Annie and I have known each since we were children and began dating junior year of HS. After HS we both went to our state school and I asked her to marry me junior year of undergrad.

I have always dreamt of being a doctor, as has she. When the application process began, I applied to good mix of MD and DO schools of varying degrees of selectivity (though all med schools are insanely selective). I had initially planned on continuing my education and my state institution because I did not want to take on too much debt. I did end up getting into my state school's med school, but I was also unexpectedly was offered a spot at one of the best med schools in the country (i.e top 3) in New England (We are from the West Coast). I would have been inclined to reject the offer had I not also qualified for a partial, but still significant scholarship. It would still cost me more out of pocket than my state school would, but not significantly so(maybe a couple thousand dollars more). Annie, despite pleas from myself, our parents, professors, advisors etc. applied to /only/ our state school and to some insanely selective (top 10 MD) schools, that she, to be blunt had no chance of getting into given her admittedly mediocre grades and research experience. She was rejected from all the schools she applied to, including our state institution. Obviously, this crushed her and I have tried my best to support her during a difficult time and to help her remain optimistic.

Our situation now is this - I am currently enrolled at the aforementioned New England medical school, while Annie has decided to take an year off to strengthen her profile with research experience, physician shadowing etc. and is currently living with me. There were no jobs open related to her undergrad major (political science),here or in our home state, that would be able to give her sufficient time off for research, so she is currently working part time in the retail industry. I have tried my best to be completely supportive of her as I know that this is a difficult time for her, and I have never,ever said "I told you so" or ANYTHING along those lines.

This is what ended up happening on Friday night: I was home, studying for a test on Monday when annie came home from work. She came over to my desk and kissed me. I asked her how her day went and she didn't respond, and suddenly looked VERY pissed off. After a few moments she said, "what the gently caress is wrong with you textbookthrowaway" while pointing at an anatomical diagram of a vagina in my textbook. I was speechless. After regaining my composure I managed to let out a surprised "what do you mean? I'm studying", to which she said something along the lines of "You know what the gently caress I mean, why the gently caress are you looking at pictures of women's vaginas?". This was VERY strange because she knows I occasionally watch porn and has no problem with it, in fact I know that she enjoys porn from time to time as well. I explained to her that I have to take anatomy in medical school but she wasn't having it. She took my textbook and stormed off to our bedroom and locked the door. I could hear her crying and I kept apologizing. After a few minutes she opened the door and threw her engagement ring at me before slamming it shut again to continue crying. I continued apologizing but she did not respond at all. I spent the rest of the night on the couch.

Saturday morning, she wasn't home. I checked my phone and there was a text from her saying that she was staying with a friend and that she "was done" with us unless I dropped out of medical school and found another job because, and this is an honest to god text from her, "she doesn't want me ogling at vaginas like a loving pervert". This is COMPLETELY out of character for her. She has always been level headed and reasonable, and has no history of mental illness or anything like that. I am not a stupid person and I know that this has way more to do than a picture of a loving vagina in an anatomy textbook but I have no idea what to do right now. She has stopped responding to texts and won't pick up her phone. I spoke to the friend she's staying with who basically called me a loving rear end in a top hat and said that annie is crying and getting drunk, and that neither of them want me coming over to speak with her. Her parents passed when we were young children and she doesn't have any siblings or much other family. I have no idea what to do anymore. I love her more than anything, but there is absolutely NO WAY I am dropping out of medical school for her, and I would rather we break up than I bend to her completely unreasonable demands, but I am very concerned for her mental health right now, and need any advice I can get.

TL;DR: Fiancee of 6 years saw a vagina in my textbook and now wants me to drop out of med school

I'm sorry for the grammar and formatting, i just cant think straight right now.

UPDATE

quote:

I'll save you the trouble: she wasn't cheating nor was she pregnant.

Yesterday I decided that enough was enough and I headed over to where she was staying intent on ending the relationship. When I got there she was half drunk what followed was a LOT of screaming and cussing directed at me. I learned why she wanted me to drop out. It had nothing to do with textbook vaginas.

When I was a sophomore two of my friends dropped out of college to work on their tech startup full time, and invited me to come work with them ( my undergrad degree was in comp sci). I rejected the offer because I wanted to concentrate on my dream: becoming a doctor. Fortunately, their startup did very well and last year they sold it to a large tech company for a very large sum of money (in the low 8 figures). I was thrilled for them. After they sold the company, both of them obviously had large lifestyle changes. One of them proposed to his girlfriend with a ridiculously loving big diamond, and they are frequently vacationing in exotic locations with family and SOs. Apparently, their success and lifestyles made my girlfriend extremely jealous, and she came up with the vagina thing as a way for me to drop out of med school, because she thinks that I can "easily get a job making 150k a year at a bank so we wouldnt have to live like loving refugees" and that I am a "loving idiot" for not doing so. Still I was confused. I asked her about our dreams of being doctors. Turns out she never really wanted to go into medicine but only claimed to because "it was all I ever talked about". I guess that explains her application strategy.

I was done. I broke up with her on the spot and told her not to contact me again. She is going to continue staying with the friend while we figure out a living arrangement.

Yep go drop out of Harvard to work at a bank if you don't your a chump!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man that’s a hell of a twist

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

poo poo, what was the other story where the guy made up some weird thing to be mad at his wife about so she would dump him but she tried to make it work and he had to confess he was hoping she'd just leave him?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't think I saw this one before.
AITA for not wanting to sleep on my partner’s bedsheets that she’s had since before her last last relationship?

quote:

My partner and I are planning to move in together. I half jokingly/half seriously told her it’s only going to happen if we get new bed sheets. She did not find it funny and then out of nowhere, accused me of calling her a slut.

We’ve both had other relationships and I’m even a friendly acquaintance of one of her previous partners. I’ve never once made a comment about her past because I’m not insecure.

She told me she’s not getting rid of her sheets because they were expensive and they’re washed regularly. I tried to explain that it’s a bit like wearing someone else’s undergarments… even if they’re clean, there’s still “something” that can’t be washed out. She told me to grow up because I don’t have a problem with hotel bedding.

90% of the time we stay at my place, so her bedding never bothered me (yes, I got new sheets before she ever stayed over). I just think if we are going to become one household, we should have new bedding that is our own.

Edit: I appreciate everyone’s feedback, even the overly aggressive folks questioning my mental stability over bedding. I just want to reiterate that I’m not the jealous type nor am I slut shaming my partner. I’m sorry that many of you jumped to that conclusion.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

gently caress this one is beautiful. Its been a while since I laughed at a story that much. I will always be surprised how little basic information people know about major historical events.

Edit:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for not wanting to sleep on my partner’s bedsheets that she’s had since before her last last relationship?

Yup, this guy is totally not insecure. You can tell by how many times he says he isn't insecure.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 19, 2022

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP is right for the wrong reasons... Sheets wear out. "Expensive" or not, if she's had them for years and regularly washed them, they are worn out and a new set of sheets will feel heavenly.

Partner is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

OP is right for the wrong reasons... Sheets wear out. "Expensive" or not, if she's had them for years and regularly washed them, they are worn out and a new set of sheets will feel heavenly.

Partner is cheap.

Her last relationship could literally have been months ago, it doesn't say anything about time.