Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Blurred posted:

Can someone recommend a book that just explains how everyday poo poo works? I've just ordered the nat geo "big book of why" for my son, and I'd love something similar for myself. Could be focused on scientific questions, or focused on how everyday social institutions function, or anything really. I consider myself pretty well read, but i think i'd draw a blank if asked to explain how aeroplanes fly or how credit cards work.

It's sadly out of print but "Almost Everything There Is To Know" by Tim Hunkin is great, your son will enjoy it too. When I was a kid my grandfather gave us a bound collection of "The way things work" magazine which was fascinating. (This is impossible to get and very out of date).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Transformed by Bill Slavin is a great complement to the Macaulay book.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Other than Notes from Underground and Crime and Punishment, I want books about misanthropes, that transfix me with how strongly and convincingly the main characters express their disdain for other people.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Guy A. Person posted:

How to Invent Everything isn’t exactly that but the conceit is that it’s a guide book for a time traveler who gets stranded at some point in the past in order to reinvent all of our modern conveniences. It’s pretty neat.

I found How to Invent Everything to be fairly useless. It tries to provide both historical background and surface level mechanics, and in the process does neither particularly well. I felt the history elements were stronger than the mechanical.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FPyat posted:

Other than Notes from Underground and Crime and Punishment, I want books about misanthropes, that transfix me with how strongly and convincingly the main characters express their disdain for other people.

Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Ligotti

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Not nearly as literary but Joe Abercrombie's books are all dripping with cynicism and disdain.

Kvlt! posted:

Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Ligotti

lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

FPyat posted:

Catcher in the Rye obviously
Camus - The Stranger which in my mind is basically Holden Caulfield ten years later

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Journey to the End of the Night by Celine fits if youre okay with the distasteful and often racist nature of the authors views

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FPyat posted:

Literally just read through the Stop Being A Child thread and you'll find tonnes of recs

Celine has already been mentioned, but there's William Gaddis, William Gass, Mishima, Thomas Bernhard etc etc etc.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

FPyat posted:

Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Journey to the End of the Night by Celine fits if youre okay with the distasteful and often racist nature of the authors views

smh at the distasteful nature of celine's views

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

Roadside Picnic

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Anyone got some history recommendations about how interesting things got built? I just finished Disney's Land and Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution, and both of them disappointed me for the same failings -- a bad reliance on "a thing had to be done and nobody knew how and it looked really hard, but then it got done" narrative without covering the interesting bit of how they overcame those challenges, and in failing to include really obviously important bits (Disney's Land skips right from the monorail in 1959 to Walt Disney dying without mentioning the 1964 New York World's Fair at all, like inventing audio-animatronics and motherfucking It's a Small World isn't pertinent somehow, and Dogfight gets apparently distracted or something and veers off its narrative to discuss media moving to digital distribution, which is a)completely not the loving point and b)hilariously dated given that the book was written in 2013). By contrast, I really loved Losing the Signal, and Devil in the White City is one of my all-time favorite books.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Anyone got some history recommendations about how interesting things got built?

If you’ve not read them already -
Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed by Ben Rich and Leo Janos
The Soul of A New Machine by Tracy Kidder

The former is about how Lockheed developed the U2 and SR-71 spy planes and the F-117 stealth fighter. The later is about Data General developed and built a new 32 bit minicomputer in the late ‘70s. Both are fantastic and wonderful insights into the culture of the companies at the time and the sheer technical work that went into developing all the above.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well I don't know if cryptography is a thing, per se, but it is interesting. The Code Breakers by David Kahn is a history of cryptography that really gets into the details of how people wrote in code and how secret police went about trying to break them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CapnAndy posted:

Anyone got some history recommendations about how interesting things got built? I just finished Disney's Land and Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution, and both of them disappointed me for the same failings -- a bad reliance on "a thing had to be done and nobody knew how and it looked really hard, but then it got done" narrative without covering the interesting bit of how they overcame those challenges, and in failing to include really obviously important bits (Disney's Land skips right from the monorail in 1959 to Walt Disney dying without mentioning the 1964 New York World's Fair at all, like inventing audio-animatronics and motherfucking It's a Small World isn't pertinent somehow, and Dogfight gets apparently distracted or something and veers off its narrative to discuss media moving to digital distribution, which is a)completely not the loving point and b)hilariously dated given that the book was written in 2013). By contrast, I really loved Losing the Signal, and Devil in the White City is one of my all-time favorite books.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950347

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol god that book

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Despite being about a fascinating subject, this is one of the most boring books I’ve finished. It even manages to make explosions boring.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

CapnAndy posted:

I've recommended it before in this thread but "First Light" by Richard Preston is a fascinating look at the history of telescopes and how they are built.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Backroom Boys by Francis Spufford is a collection of essays where each one is focused on one feat of British engineering -- building a Mars probe, building Concorde, building the first cellular phone network. There's one chapter about programming the game Elite : an abridged version is online here. The whole book is like that, only more so.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Just finished reading Anathem, and I'd like more SF/F with a similar kind of anthropological / philosophical, theory-laden subject. I've already read and loved most of everything Le Guin ever wrote, if that helps.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 8, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Music Theory posted:

Just finished reading Anathem, and I'd like more SF/F with a similar kind of anthropological / philosophical, theory-laden subject. I've already read and loved most of everything Le Guin ever wrote, if that helps.

red mars

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Music Theory posted:

red mars as mentioned is pretty good, even more so I think Years of Rice and Salt

Consider Phlebas is good for this, first book of the culture series and I think one of the more philosophical

Ice by Anna Kavan is some poo poo

Frankenstein is a different pace but it really is a very cerebral book

Matthew Stover gets really into in his Caine series but tbh the first book is just a really good pulp action book, he doesn't really get into the philosophy until the 2nd and (especially) 4th book, but also the first book is kind of necessary so y'know

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm looking for non-fiction books on the cold war. Specifically I'm interested in the political maneuvering and general diplomatic efforts, and big picture stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Music Theory posted:

Greg Egan scratches that itch for me as well. Check out Diaspora and Quarantine.

Heads by Greg Bear is great for that, and short!

And I think The Diamond Age and Anathem have a lot in common if you’re cool with more Stephenson.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

Roadside Picnic

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tulip posted:

Consider Phlebas is good for this, first book of the culture series and I think one of the more philosophical

personal preference, but i think player of games is a better pick for this

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TheCog posted:

I'm looking for non-fiction books on the cold war. Specifically I'm interested in the political maneuvering and general diplomatic efforts, and big picture stuff.

Odd Arne Westad’s The Cold War is a great starting point.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

The Great Bridge, David McCullough

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I want to know about everyday life in communist Eastern Europe outside of the Soviet Union and East Germany between 1960 and 1990. Oral history, personal memoir, sociological study, all are good.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I've been re-reading Marko Kloos' Frontline and Palladium Wars books, but I'm nearly out and need some suggestions of similar works. I've read Weber, Drake, the Vorkosigan books, all kinds of military SF but it'd be nice to read more that isn't taking itself too seriously. Or like, some newer 40k stuff (outside of the 4 dawn of fire books).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Halman posted:

I've been re-reading Marko Kloos' Frontline and Palladium Wars books, but I'm nearly out and need some suggestions of similar works. I've read Weber, Drake, the Vorkosigan books, all kinds of military SF but it'd be nice to read more that isn't taking itself too seriously. Or like, some newer 40k stuff (outside of the 4 dawn of fire books).

Have you read any of Dan Abnett's 40k stuff? I'm thinking Gaunt's Ghosts might be your speed here. (forgive me if you already know it)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Halman posted:

I enjoyed the Starship's Mage series, other than it being written by Khan and having no concept that there are three dimensions in space

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Halman posted:

James Nicoll has a category of reviews for military SF that doesn't suck. Might be worth browsing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If someone read House of Leaves and loved the Navidson Record part but rolled their eyes to the point of injury at the Johnny parts, what other books should they read?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Lovecraft in general
Stephen King - The Shining
Stephen King - 1408 (story story, maybe his best written piece)
Jose Saramago - All the Words (not horror but a similarly creepy, undefined space)
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose (ditto the above)
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum (can't say why exactly but maybe a similar feeling of forces moving just outside the scope of vision)

E: also, I kind of think you read the book wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

E2: thinking about it, I'm kind of surprised that the Navidson Record portion hasn't been made into a movie or one season tv show. I wonder if offers have been made but Danielewski refuses to chop up the story or something

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 22, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks!

I very well may have read the book wrong! The "real world" parts of the book felt disjointed in an unintentional way with a smidge too much 90s tragicool. I probably should give it another chance with a read-through without me impatiently waiting for the weird house parts

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Didn't mean to be harsh or anything but there's cool stuff going on especially if you pay close attention to details and such. There's at least one other layer going on in Johnny's story that isn't immediately obvious.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I have a lot of thoughts about the book but probably can't express them well in my current inebriated state. Here's an except from a review that gets close to my thoughts

Coming full circle, House of Leaves is, in fact, a labyrinth, a perfect paper-based example of what it’s describing right down to its title (the ‘leaves’ most often assumed to be a reference to pages: thus a house of leaves is a house of pages, or a book). It is a descent into psychosis, a physical and mental challenge. The labyrinth at the heart of the Ash Tree Lane home of the Navidsons is as much a psychological representation of the state of mind of the Navidsons themselves as it will come to be about your state of mind as you try reading it.

From https://weirdfictionreview.com/2012/04/the-weirdness-in-house-of-leaves/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Manager Hoyden posted:

If someone read House of Leaves and loved the Navidson Record part but rolled their eyes to the point of injury at the Johnny parts, what other books should they read?

Read literary criticism of books you like. There's some compiled in books, such as in Norton Critical Editions, but most of it you'll have to search for on JSTOR.