Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
at this point Grow The Audience is the free space on the Bad AEW Takes Bingo Board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"Having a team of writers make your wrestlers do Mad Libs with approved catchphrases will grow the product"

like, how. How will that work. How will more people watch the show if Mox came out and said "Y2J, you will get unscripted violence in our championship opportunity"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"Jericho, this Sunday, IT'S MOX TIME."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"because I'm a wizard" except it's Malakai Black

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

"I'm the wizard of the AEW universe and you won't get a tittle shot at Buy One Get One Free Extravaganza"

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/BJMendelson/status/1538580645429006338
https://twitter.com/AngeGold/status/1532927915905761281
when you're about to hear the worst AEW takes ever:

also his pfp is a picture of him on TV but like an actual picture of a TV which is like peak twitter bluecheck

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

AEW won't be good until its complete dogshit

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
These people would put AEW out of business in less than a year trying to fix poo poo that isn't broken

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Benne posted:

These people would put AEW out of business in less than a year trying to fix poo poo that isn't broken

I don't know, I'm pretty sure Vince Russo knows how to have success wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

also his pfp is a picture of him on TV but like an actual picture of a TV which is like peak twitter bluecheck

Thank you I was about to look for those tweets!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Pretty much every fed or territory that tried to copy WWF/WWE has either gone out of business or lost so much money. And even if WWE product wasn't poo poo why would copying it be a way to succeed? If you want that product your gonna watch the original

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love how the most vocal former writers are the ones with the funniest resumes.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
there is 7-10 hours of completely scripted WWE programming every week that these people can go watch, why don't they do that!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

I love how the most vocal former writers are the ones with the funniest resumes.

Imagine identifying yourself by a job you had for 3 months over 15 years ago

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Writing a script for Vince to throw out 30 minutes before a show for a few weeks is my career peak

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This isn't wrestling related but I know everyone loves The Lucc.

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1406251749955063817

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1538596970989764610

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

People respecting someone for bowing and supplicating themselves gratefully to their management overlords is so loving sad

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also that interview is from 2006 so it's entirely possible that Cena re-negotiated when he became a bigger star

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This has to be the absolute worst fantasy booking I've ever seen

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Imagine identifying yourself by a job you had for 3 months over 15 years ago

He and alex greenfield were fun to listen to a little when they first showed up in podcastworld like 5 years ago

That has not lasted imo

I got burned badly by putting on one of greenfield’s movies, the sand, while at a new year’s eve party. If it was good, it would have been a perfecty fine monster movie but it was not good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The whole "former WWE writers on a podcast" trend was fun for about 10 minutes before we realized these guys had nothing interesting to say, weren't really wrestling fans in the first place, and there's probably a reason they got let go

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

12k followers and 1 like on that tweet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/BJMendelson/status/1538606156524015617

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

when your idea of who could possibly be someone's favorite wrestler is incredibly narrow

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Lets just walk through this for the hell of it.

Mox is buried because he loses to a guy who already wrestled that night in a battle royal.

That guy, MJF, who's current thing is he thinks he deserves to be in the "better" promotion of WWE, loses to a former WWE guy. Not only proving his point that WWE is better but that he himself is a scrub who would be nothing there. So MJF and AEW are buried.

You have no main event to promote for your big ppv because it's MJF vs MYSTERY OPPONENT. Why, in storyline, would it be a mystery opponent? Who knows.

Then in your huge first cross-promotional ppv with NJPW you not only don't put a New Japan guy in the main event, but you put in a WWE guy and HAVE HIM WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP thus burying the idea of a crossover event with NJPW AND NJPW itself.

And piss off the crowd who, by any reasonable expectation, would be expecting a huge New Japan star as the mystery opponent not a former WWE guy.

All to make Bray loving Wyatt the defacto face of your company for reasons that have not been explained.

Imagine if they had gone this route and then go out of their way to announce Okada won't be there WHILE promoting a mystery opponent in the main event and then loving Bray Wyatt shows up out of the blue.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

1glitch0 posted:

Lets just walk through this for the hell of it.

Mox is buried because he loses to a guy who already wrestled that night in a battle royal.

That guy, MJF, who's current thing is he thinks he deserves to be in the "better" promotion of WWE, loses to a former WWE guy. Not only proving his point that WWE is better but that he himself is a scrub who would be nothing there. So MJF and AEW are buried.

You have no main event to promote for your big ppv because it's MJF vs MYSTERY OPPONENT. Why, in storyline, would it be a mystery opponent? Who knows.

Then in your huge first cross-promotional ppv with NJPW you not only don't put a New Japan guy in the main event, but you put in a WWE guy and HAVE HIM WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP thus burying the idea of a crossover event with NJPW AND NJPW itself.

And piss off the crowd who, by any reasonable expectation, would be expecting a huge New Japan star as the mystery opponent not a former WWE guy.

All to make Bray loving Wyatt the defacto face of your company for reasons that have not been explained.

Imagine if they had gone this route and then go out of their way to announce Okada won't be there WHILE promoting a mystery opponent in the main event and then loving Bray Wyatt shows up out of the blue.

If Bray was repackaged as EVIL and everyone just pretended he was the real evil and they disbanded house of torture and threw dick Togo off the Jericho cruise in the middle of the Atlantic I could see it being a good booking direction. I guess as long as halfway through the match taichi came out and hit them both with the steel claw then pinned Bray for the title.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Works if your favorite wrestler is Mox, I guess

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

1glitch0 posted:

remembering every single time the royal rumble hit 30 with an absolute wet fart of a last entrant

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/gradeausa/status/1538605638565117953

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

your friend wicka posted:

This has to be the absolute worst fantasy booking I've ever seen

It's the most purely condensed Russo poo poo I've seen since Russo left the business

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the most purely condensed Russo poo poo I've seen since Russo left the business

nah Russo fantasy booked Wyatt way way better

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

remembering every single time the royal rumble hit 30 with an absolute wet fart of a last entrant

while i wouldn't call Brock a wet fart last entrant, this year's rumble had one of the worst possible outcomes of any rumble i've ever seen

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

I mean besides the fact they regularly does better PPV and ticket numbers that TNA could only dream of? But you know the TV Number isn't as high as it was 20 years ago for a different company on a different network and also not the number the people who pay the companies care about SO WHOSE TO SAY

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it would be ridiculous to believe aew has turned a profit :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry for my meaningless and undermining nature

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I too enjoy things the most when i have been told they made someone a lot of money

Yeah, the barometer for success of wrestling is money, if you’re a promoter, but my barometer of success is “did i enjoy watching it”

The neverending focus on ratings and profits and buyrates is just a little bizarre

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean McDonalds makes the most money so their burgers are the best burgers in the world, right?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
The only thing that matters to AEW is how much the next TV contract goes up by, so just like any startup the point is growth rather than positive cash flow. Maybe it’s a little more important now with equities and interest rates tightening. The video game thing is funny because it’s not relevant either way; if Tony is openly saying “we were profitable except for dev costs” that just means “we were profitable, full stop, I just didn’t feel like paying taxes so I sped up amortization.” You sell a video game for a long time, accounting wise those costs don’t all “count” when you take them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my meaningless nature. i used undermining incorrectly, as i was not being undermining with what i said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
jericho vs kingston and if jericho wins eddie has to recite a written promo

Cult of Pies fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 19, 2022