Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Byzantium & Friends is a good historical podcast, if a bit dry, by historian Anthony Kaldellis. Good to check out if you are interested in anything the name suggests!

E: wait this was already mentioned. Whatever, it's good!!!

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shouldn't it be Roman and Friends?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Who's this Roman? I know one German dude named Roman, am I the friend?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think they've focused on Germany too much yet, no.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It should, and Kaldellis actually talks about that a lot, and has a couple discussions about whether the term Byzantine should be actively discarded by Byzantinists.

It's in one of his books (Byzantium Unbound I think) where he notes that online forums, generally focused on video games, are the most progressive front on that, and I think he views it as a distinct positive.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nenonen posted:

Who's this Roman? I know one German dude named Roman, am I the friend?

I doubt he had friends, only associates who ran his wolf-based rehab program and buddhist world domination program!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How common was it to get drafted into the military in the US in the post-Korea pre-Vietnam years? Was there a significant fraction of the young male population rotating through the armed forces? Or was the military closer to being a volunteer force when there wasn't a big conflict on?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PittTheElder posted:

How common was it to get drafted into the military in the US in the post-Korea pre-Vietnam years? Was there a significant fraction of the young male population rotating through the armed forces? Or was the military closer to being a volunteer force when there wasn't a big conflict on?

Fairly common. Not wartime common where everyone was getting hit, but it wasn't something weird or unexpected either.

Elvis famously got drafted during that period. There's some weird poo poo there about how I think me might have volunteered ahead of his draft notice to pick his branc or . . . something? Dunno, poo poo gets weird because of his manager not wanting him in the military entertainment units because then any performances would be army property and they could sell them etc. Still, the core issue of him having to go into the military when he would have preferred not to is there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Duncan kind of flattens historical events in his Mexican Revolution series and jeeeesus those pronounciations, especially for someone who speaks French, may me want to cry. Spanish. It's actually pretty simple to learn, even if you don't already speak another and very closely related Romance language.

Otherwise, he's fine for a...I dunno, pop history intro? He freely admits he's not a historian, he's a history Podcaster and that's kind of how it's best viewed.

The constant apologies and attempts to improve his french were worse than the pronunciations. You can't do a guttural r my dude, just stop. If you just need to read sources why even gently caress with pronunciation? Kay-sarr my rear end, I'm not saying that out load to some rando on the street. His name is Seezer.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
one of the times i went to the improvised shakespeare company in chicago they did a rendition of Julius Sneezer.

okay that's my story

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bagheera posted:

Opinions on The British History Podcast? He's made 500 one-hour episodes to cover the period from Cesar's first invasion to the Battle Of Hastings, so far. So that has to count for something in his favor.
He also cites his sources, and tells listeners when he's (a)quoting from primary sources, (b)pulling from modern scholarship, or (c)giving his personal opinion.
Can any historians weigh in on the quality of the podcast?

I'm not a historian and I'm not familiar with that podcast, but "500 hours worth of podcasts covering the entirety of British history from Caesar to Hastings and presumably beyond" sounds kinda broad. It seems like it'd be pretty difficult to cover that wide a sweep of history without seriously flattening the narrative or running up against the limits of your own knowledge somewhere, or more likely both. After all, people can and do spend entire lifetimes studying aspects of much shorter periods of history - a history of all of Britain inclusive sounds ambitious to say the least. I'm also not entirely sure "made 500 episodes" by itself necessarily says anything about the quality of the scholarship - they might be devoting enormous amounts of time to researching each episode comprehensively and giving themselves little in the way of free time, or they might be adding a lot of filler to every particular episode to pad out time and episode counts, or they might be skimping on research in order to pump out more episodes on time. That's not to say that the scholarship is necessarily good or bad, just saying that "made a lot of episodes" doesn't really say much of anything by itself.

Looking the podcast and the host up pretty quick, he also describes himself as having "a Juris Doctorate and a BA in English," and describes how his focus is on "researching and developing compelling narratives," which is interesting in terms of entertaining podcasting but not that promising as far as sound historical scholarship goes. Near as I can tell his main qualification for talking about British history is the fact that he is - or was, depending on how you feel about immigration and its effects on identity - British. He is however backed by an academic partner, who has degrees in "Physical Anthropology, Sociology, and Media," so again, while related, not actually a historian and definitely not one focused on British history - her PhD thesis focused on the role of US media in shaping discourse around the 2008 financial crisis. Further, her primary role on the show actually seems to be producer rather than dedicated researcher - it seems she's focused on "high-level decisions about the direction of the show" and editing the scripts, while lending her own expertise to create a lens for the host's own research (but not, presumably, actually doing the historical research into the period).

Overall...eh? I don't know if it's necessarily a bad podcast and it certainly could be entertaining, but just from looking at it, it's probably worth double-checking a few times yourself every time you feel the urge to repeat any of the spicier claims in the podcast authoritatively.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fairly common. Not wartime common where everyone was getting hit, but it wasn't something weird or unexpected either.

Elvis famously got drafted during that period. There's some weird poo poo there about how I think me might have volunteered ahead of his draft notice to pick his branc or . . . something? Dunno, poo poo gets weird because of his manager not wanting him in the military entertainment units because then any performances would be army property and they could sell them etc. Still, the core issue of him having to go into the military when he would have preferred not to is there.

Col. Tom Parker also wanted Elvis to do regular service because he thought it would make him more subservient to him.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

PittTheElder posted:

You can figure this out pretty easily; the number of people drafted per year is available online.

https://www.sss.gov/history-and-records/induction-statistics/

For an example, in 1957 (when Elvis was drafted) 138,504 were drafted. Google says the population of the US in that year was 177,751,483.

That's less than 1 in 1000. Of course, not everyone was eligible - that was men 18-25 - but I wouldn't call that common.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cessna posted:

You can figure this out pretty easily; the number of people drafted per year is available online.

For an example, in 1957 (when Elvis was drafted) 138,504 were drafted. Google says the population of the US in that year was 177,751,483.

That's less than 1 in 1000. Of course, not everyone was eligible - that was men 18-25 - but I wouldn't call that common.

According to this googled statistic the population of the US in 1957 looked like so:

If you go to the website you can hover to see actual numbers.

Annoyingly they break it 15-19 (6.16 million males) and 20-24 (5.47million males). Still, let's assume that there's an even distribution between the ages 15-19, which would give us 6.16/5 = 1.23 million per year cohort, x2 for just the 18 and 19 year olds = 2.46 million. Add that to the 20-24 year olds and you have 7.93 million draft age men in 1957.

Do the division and you end up with about a 1.7% chance of getting drafted.

Not huge, but pretty much everyone would know someone who got called up. Figure a least a handful from a reasonably sized highschool. You probably need to narrow that pool down a bit more too just based on things like people who were medically ineligible to due disability or other reasons. I THINK sole breadwinners got a peacetime exemption, but I'm not sure. All of that probably isn't a huge impact, but I wouldn't be surprised if it pushes it closer to 2%.

edit: the exemption I was thinking of was fathers - they got pushed to the bottom of the draft list, which essentially means they're not going to get pulled in unless a wartime draft happens. Pretty big exemption given that fatherhood was more common in the 18-25 demographic in the 50s than it is today.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A little less than 2% in peacetime sounds about right; I suppose I'm being overly pedantic about "common."

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Basically Col Parker promised Elvis he'd get him Special Service. Special Service would mean he went and did basic training and then a few times a year, he'd do USO shows. The Navy ended up offering him a better deal. He'd do Special Service, in a company made up of his friends and people from Memphis. He'd be stationed in Las Vegas. And he wouldn't be required to live on base. Parker basically set this up to fail with Elvis because of the royalties. The argument Parker used to Elvis is that people would be pissed since Special Service was seen as a celebrity privilege. So Elvis went the normal route. But I'm not aware of many draftees that the services actively fought over.

Of course Elvis would ask for a delay before having to report. He was shooting King Creole at the time. And that exception generated a bunch of hate mail.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Instead he accidentally got Elvis Special Air Service and he spent 3 years fighting communists in the Malayan jungle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zoux posted:

Instead he accidentally got Elvis Special Air Service and he spent 3 years fighting communists in the Malayan jungle

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Soviet movie "Tigers"

Big articles queue: 44M Tas

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career

:911:
GMC T48

:godwin:
7.62 cm F.K.(r) auf gp. Selbstfahrlafette (Sd.Kfz. 6/3)
Sd.Kfz.254

:brexit:
Abbot

Small articles queue: Jerry cans in Soviet service, T-20 Komsomolets artillery tractor

Small articles available: linked because the list is too long

New small articles:

Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.G
Churchill VII Crocodile in the USSR
Aufklärungspanzer 38(t)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cessna posted:

Huh, my dad got drafted in 1960. Looks like he was extremely unlucky.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Were artillery bombardments of the kind associated with Bruchmuller relevant after WWI?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FPyat posted:

Were artillery bombardments of the kind associated with Bruchmuller relevant after WWI?

They're still super relevant. Just computers do a lot of the work instead of a dude with a slide rule.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s really easy to underestimate just how few seemingly “fit” military age males qualify for military service when you factor in health/education/criminal/psych history and all that.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Depends on your standards.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s really easy to underestimate just how few seemingly “fit” military age males qualify for military service when you factor in health/education/criminal/psych history and all that.

"Can absorb bullets, possibly even kill the foe" seems be plenty fit for a lot of conflicts

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

"Can absorb bullets, possibly even kill the foe" seems be plenty fit for a lot of conflicts

There's also a huge difference between those standards in wartime and peacetime. A peacetime draft is going to be able to be a lot picker than one where you're throwing warm bodies at the front as fast as you can train them which end of a gun goes towards the enemy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's also a huge difference between those standards in wartime and peacetime. A peacetime draft is going to be able to be a lot picker than one where you're throwing warm bodies at the front as fast as you can train them which end of a gun goes towards the enemy.

C.f., Project 100000.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

C.f., Project 100000.

poo poo like this seems like it should be from a different age but nope it was less than 50 years ago.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

zoux posted:

poo poo like this seems like it should be from a different age but nope it was less than 50 years ago.

I mean 50 years is a shitload of time by human standards

Back when I was in school WW fuckin 2 was less than 50 years ago

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
We're probably less than 50 years from some major global conflict too, maybe

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The ones that get it wrong will self-select out of the training cadre before you can send them to the front, so strictly speaking even that much training is optional.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

*gestures at Volkssturm*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cessna posted:

So half of those people are women who are immediately right out, so one in 500. Then we are talking about a 7 year age range out of maybe 70 we normally live? One in 50. Still pretty good odds but chances are you'd know someone who was drafted.

Edit: I moved to the US and had to register for the draft as part of the process. Given I did so in 2002 that was pretty sobering I can tell you. Fortunately I'm old enough now that if I get called up it's because there literally are Soviet tanks rolling down the street outside.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 23, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

feedmegin posted:

So half of those people are women who are immediately right out, so one in 500. Then we are talking about a 7 year age range out of maybe 70 we normally live? One in 50. Still pretty good odds but chances are you'd know someone who was drafted.

Edit: I moved to the US and had to register for the draft as part of the process. Given I did so in 2002 that was pretty sobering I can tell you. Fortunately I'm old enough now that if I get called up it's because there literally are Soviet tanks rolling down the street outside.

I guess in '02 it might have felt different, but selective service is a joke. You give them your info to get financial aid for college and then never hear from them again. I'm the only guy I know who actually updates his address with them whenever I move. I only do that because I'm a weird nerd. I guess I just enjoy participating in an anachronistic farce.

E: or rather, I'm the only one I know who did. You don't have to after turning 26.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmegin posted:

The gently caress? That's weird as hell. I was born here and they still don't want me for the draft cause of dual citizenship.

You're some variety of Brit, right? Maybe there's something with UK vs. Germany going on here? That's bizarrely specific.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

The gently caress? That's weird as hell. I was born here and they still don't want me for the draft cause of dual citizenship.

You're some variety of Brit, right? Maybe there's something with UK vs. Germany going on here? That's bizarrely specific.

The US? Almost all male US citizens and male immigrants, who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. Illegal immigrants are under the same obligation, and are not relieved from the responsibility.

Do all do? No, since if you don't seek public employment, financial assistance, certain school programs, there's often no way to get caught. ANd if you didn't get caught until you are old enough, there's no punitive action.

quote:

Immigrants
U.S. immigrants are required by law to register with the Selective Service System 30 days after their 18th birthday or 30 days after entry into the United States if they are between the ages of 18 and 25. This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago.

The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visas, as long as they remain on a valid visa up until they turn 26. If you have received a letter from us requesting that you register, please send us copies of supporting documentation to show you are exempt.

Dual Nationals
U.S. dual nationals are required by law to register with the Selective Service System within 30 days of their 18th birthday, regardless of whether they live inside or outside of the U.S. Dual nationals residing outside of the U.S. can register using a foreign address here.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yes, I know. I registered for Selective Service when I was 18, then got a thing back from them going, “Lol no we don’t want krauts”. Hence my confusion.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 24, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's weird as gently caress. I'm dual french and got no such thing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tias posted:

Not really, look at project 100k that was mentioned before. A way higher percentage of the population than you would think is just a total liability in almost any army. The standards weren’t like Volksturm crazy low and there was an incredible difference in outcomes and survival during and after the war between those who were let in the program than the average American draftee.

A lot of people who might function okay with a normal support system doing a normal job in their hometown just kinda crack or can’t learn fast enough to even be a useful warm body when you add in the stresses of just regular peacetime military life. The percentage of recruits even today with much more standardized testing and screening who get entry level separations before for just not being able to adapt before they get to a unit or stay long enough to even prepare for deployment is ridiculously high, like 25% at least.

Like someone else was saying there are some isolated cases in history like the volksturm that demonstrate how useless it is to press the unfit part of the population into service. Virtually every fighting force on earth regular or irregular has some standards, informal barriers, or self-selection process to weed out people who would be totally unable to cope or are just going to do something stupid and get everyone killed because its much easier to be a liability to your own side than to even be a speedbump or bulletcatcher for the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, I know. I registered for Selective Service when I was 18, then got a thing back from them going, “Lol no we don’t want krauts”. Hence my confusion.

Did you serve in Germany? National obligation to an allied or partner country can often just relieve you of the obligation here.