Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

The glass box was Snow White's coffin. She was seemingly-dead at that point in the story, thanks to the poisoned apple. If we dare venture into total-bullshit-psychoanalysis territory, we might speculate that Lynn Liz subconsciously believes that life doesn't actually begin until a generically-handsome Prince Charming arrives to sweep you off your feet. Until then, you're not going anywhere and you're just on display in hopes of attracting any princes that might wander by.

I think that strip is okay because I sometimes fantasize about being dead too. :v:

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

I love this

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

This is incredibly silly and dumb but it got a laugh out of me.

Prince Valiant

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Take It From the Tinkersons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero posted:

Classic Nancy 1947

Z̴̟̻̿̏͠ą̶͎̱̞̘̹̘͓͔̓̀͐̾̽̾̑̊͝ļ̸͎͇̝̝̒̄͗̀̿̅͝͝ģ̵̢̢̨̣̦̳̉͋̒̽͐̐͒́͊͘o̶̧̡͉̳̼̓̂̿̈́̀͑̿̔̎̓́̓̈͘͠

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Holbrook still seems be under the idea that being goth is something crazy and unique and not a common enough fashion trend that stores have catered to it for decades.

Maybe he himself writes from another dimension where the bird Illuminati figured the humans can stay but Hot Topic cannot exist.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Hm. It occurs to me this is one of the few hustles that actually requires Modesty be in her twenties. Usually she's just a dumb tourist, which doesn't necessarily track with a certain age.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

Hm. It occurs to me this is one of the few hustles that actually requires Modesty be in her twenties. Usually she's just a dumb tourist, which doesn't necessarily track with a certain age.

Especially in the early stories, she's canonically quite young.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Yeah, we've just been at it for so long it's easy to forget, since it's not like anyone attaches hard dates to anything in this decades long comic that outlived the Cold War. I don't know if Modesty ever actually ages in any kind of canonical sense like say the Walkers do. The whole idea of her being young just feels increasingly at odds with the premise as times goes by, since her whole deal is being hypercompetent at just about everything.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I really like the art in Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

crifmif.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Especially in the early stories, she's canonically quite young.

The first novel has Modesty taking over The Network when she was 18, recruiting Willie when she was 20, and then selling off The Network and "retiring" at 26 or 27. I don't recall her aging much over the stories (except of course for "Cobra Trap," which is set in a future when she and Willie are old and retired for real).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 15, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

So the Funkyverse is saddled with an off-brand Facebook, but it gets real Instagram?

Crankshaft

They just had to stick a Betamax in that pile, didn't they...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire And The Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This new Popeye sucks.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This is just weird.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 15, 1975)

Jesus Christ, Peanuts, did Charlie Brown kill your dog or something?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This is just weird.

Can you blame her for wanting to upgrade?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I love early Peanuts but in retrospect can’t believe it became such a cultural touchstone during the long era of just constant Charlie Brown misery. Like it feels even more mean-spirited than Dustin sometimes in terms of the “joke” being “the main character is a loser who sucks and gets shat on by everyone.”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Takes a while to get there but Hell of a punchline.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zerilan posted:

I love early Peanuts but in retrospect can’t believe it became such a cultural touchstone during the long era of just constant Charlie Brown misery. Like it feels even more mean-spirited than Dustin sometimes in terms of the “joke” being “the main character is a loser who sucks and gets shat on by everyone.”
Eh, I don't think so. It's because Charlie Brown is, well, Charlie Brown, rather than because he's One Of Those drat Lazy Millennials. Dustin gets shat on because he's a(n inaccurate) representation of a demographic while Chuck is uniquely cursed. Dustin is (attempting to) poo poo on actual real people.

Not saying I like this era of Peanuts, mind you, but it's aiming this disdain at a specific, fictional character.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I think I have not understood Phantom's continuity for at least a year. This kind of storytelling does not fit the newspaper strip format. What's happening, what isn't? I have no clue.

Phantom found out Sarvana was caputred and wants to go free her

he then encounters the storyteller Moz is who is like "you better not or it will END THE PHANTOM'S LINE"

and so, mozz begins his endless story which briefly summarized is
-Phantom frees her, but gets shot
-She takes him to the closest place to get cleaned up which in this case is a vet
-She gets hot for Phantom
-Phantom is in a near death state and tells her details about his family
-Leaves the premises after making sure the phantom lives

a brief interlude happens, phantom makes some quips throughout, then the next part of the story

-finds where Kit is and it just so happens that Jampa, who absued her as a child, was there and she just shoots him dead and rides off
-He was a really high ranking officer so this results in the entire town being bombed in retaliation
-You'd think Kit would die here but no he basically becomes a mercenary bad rear end (this is bad, because he is no longer set to become The Phantom, you see)

Mozz insinuates briefly that because Phantom never told Dana about where Kit was that this leads to it. Somehow. I cant remember. So Phantom just tells her and then doesnt tell mozz this.

The Phantom also says okay well Kit is alive but its fine, I still have Heloise, she'll be a great Phantom which leads to a rapid fire Mozz story where we find out:
-Heloise's friend (Katia?) obviously had a crush on Kit and once she finds out he's never coming home just kills herself (?!?!?)
-Heloise becomes so tramatised by both the brother thing and the friend killing herself thing that she swears off the Phantom and eventually just starts her own happy family in her future
-Dana separates from the Phantom and lives elsewhere, because all this sucks, until Phantom can at least bring Kit home.
-Phantom being his final mission! to go find Kit, the one that he will NEVER RETURN FROM or something. I actually forget if we even hear the resolution to this

More interludes with Phantom wondering this and that but it sounds like he (1) is still going to rescue Sarvana and (2) has plans this time to avoid all this [such as telling Dana about Kit earlier] but NEVERTHELESS he agress to let Mozz finish his story and place it in the archives of the Phantom. I think there's a strip that implies there's some weird Mozz Machinations about this? And then he smugly lets Mozz tell the story wHICH FOR SOME REASON RESTARTED giving more extraneous details about Kit during the bombing raid, the immediate aftermath and Phantom trying to search him out. Which leads us to the Saturday strip where mozz says phantom says he was a big stupid idiot for not listening to mozz.

Honestly there legitimately could have been a THIRD restart in this mess that I overlooked but this is the gist as I remember it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

rannum posted:

Phantom found out Sarvana was caputred and wants to go free her

he then encounters the storyteller Moz is who is like "you better not or it will END THE PHANTOM'S LINE"

and so, mozz begins his endless story which briefly summarized is
-Phantom frees her, but gets shot
-She takes him to the closest place to get cleaned up which in this case is a vet
-She gets hot for Phantom
-Phantom is in a near death state and tells her details about his family
-Leaves the premises after making sure the phantom lives

a brief interlude happens, phantom makes some quips throughout, then the next part of the story

-finds where Kit is and it just so happens that Jampa, who absued her as a child, was there and she just shoots him dead and rides off
-He was a really high ranking officer so this results in the entire town being bombed in retaliation
-You'd think Kit would die here but no he basically becomes a mercenary bad rear end (this is bad, because he is no longer set to become The Phantom, you see)

Mozz insinuates briefly that because Phantom never told Dana about where Kit was that this leads to it. Somehow. I cant remember. So Phantom just tells her and then doesnt tell mozz this.
IIRC this happened in the earlier interlude. Like as soon as he hears about the "telling savarna how to contact son because he'll take the info to his grave if not", he lets Mozz finish talking for the day then goes and tells his wife all about how to contact their son. Mozz then, later, makes it explicit that this issue, which the Phantom already solved, is what causes the Problems. The Phantom has derailed this poo poo like, 9 real world months ago, yet the story's still happening for. Some reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A well-timed flashback to the earlier version of Goldie, given how he appears to have literally taken over the comic in the more regular version posted here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This is just weird.

Oh, yeah. Definitely what she needs right now is to jump into another relationship.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Ixnay on the "I like playing superhero"-ay!

rannum posted:

The Phantom also says okay well Kit is alive but its fine, I still have Heloise, she'll be a great Phantom which leads to a rapid fire Mozz story where we find out:
-Heloise's friend (Katia?) obviously had a crush on Kit and once she finds out he's never coming home just kills herself (?!?!?)
-Heloise becomes so tramatised by both the brother thing and the friend killing herself thing that she swears off the Phantom and eventually just starts her own happy family in her future

Of course, we have since seen that Kit got himself a girlfriend over where he is, so Katia's never getting in his pants anyway...

That's some dog.

Also, whoopsie-doodle. Typo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

howe_sam posted:

The Malice at the Palace was loving wild. I mean, Tim Donaghy was one of the refs in the game, and that's just a curiosity!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REWM99_JSI

This was a very informative post about a reference in The Boondocks I would not have understood at all even slightly had you not brought it up. Thank you. It's a pity the quality of The Boondocks right now isn't at the point to really warrant these annotations, given how impenetrable the comic has become if you're not familiar with the references.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Holbrook still seems be under the idea that being goth is something crazy and unique and not a common enough fashion trend that stores have catered to it for decades.

Maybe he himself writes from another dimension where the bird Illuminati figured the humans can stay but Hot Topic cannot exist.
He writes Dethany's fashion choices like Rose Is Rose wrote Rose's consumption of jalapenos: with a needlessly self-amused sense of awe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crab Dad posted:

Can you blame her for wanting to upgrade?

Upgrade? That’s what Luke Skywalker did to his spirituality when he realized that the force is real and all around him!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Some Guy TT posted:

Yeah, we've just been at it for so long it's easy to forget, since it's not like anyone attaches hard dates to anything in this decades long comic that outlived the Cold War. I don't know if Modesty ever actually ages in any kind of canonical sense like say the Walkers do. The whole idea of her being young just feels increasingly at odds with the premise as times goes by, since her whole deal is being hypercompetent at just about everything.

Selachian posted:

The first novel has Modesty taking over The Network when she was 18, recruiting Willie when she was 20, and then selling off The Network and "retiring" at 26 or 27. I don't recall her aging much over the stories (except of course for "Cobra Trap," which is set in a future when she and Willie are old and retired for real).

As mentioned, for most of the stories Modesty is somewhere in her late twenties, while Willie is in his mid-thirties. This is touched on in some of the later prose stories, with Modesty and Willie noting that they’ve aged very gracefully over the decades. It helps that Modesty isn’t sure herself exactly how old she is and guessed, in Cobra Trap the last Modesty Blaise story that she’s in her early fifties. In universe I chalk up her slow aging to a combination of good genetics, an active lifestyle, and the fact that psychic phenomena exists in the Modesty Blaise universe.

Zereth posted:

Eh, I don't think so. It's because Charlie Brown is, well, Charlie Brown, rather than because he's One Of Those drat Lazy Millennials. Dustin gets shat on because he's a(n inaccurate) representation of a demographic while Chuck is uniquely cursed. Dustin is (attempting to) poo poo on actual real people.

Not saying I like this era of Peanuts, mind you, but it's aiming this disdain at a specific, fictional character.

One thing to keep in mind with Charlie Brown’s various misfortunes is that we’re meant sympathize with the character of Charlie Brown, as opposed to Dustin where we are supposed to be scornful of the title character.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

rannum posted:

For those who came in late!

I appreciate you trying to clarify this and also all of this is loving insane and needs to end. Like, maybe this is actually leading up to a shake-up in the comic's continuity and it's not a tease for once, but holding the comic hostage in the form of an old man sharing his meticulous real life erotic friend fiction about his friend's children for three quarters of a year?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/18/02

Brenda Starr 12/19/48

The Penguin is clearly slumming in this strip.

Smokey Stover 8/1/48

Everyday Movies 4/12/35

"If you don't want to bargain with me it's a quarter, and if you want to bargain it's thirty-five cents."

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

#5: Rice with Clam Tsukuda-ni

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The_Other posted:

One thing to keep in mind with Charlie Brown’s various misfortunes is that we’re meant sympathize with the character of Charlie Brown, as opposed to Dustin where we are supposed to be scornful of the title character.
Yeah, I agree, the Charlie Brown stuff hits different because even if the world shits on him you aren't supposed to be rooting for it to happen. There's nothing Chuck can do to change his misfortune, he's more of a tragic archetype than anything else. That's not something that's going to hit with everyone, but I like it. A little bit like Eeyore in a way.

Contrast with Dustin where you feel the narrative's telling us if only he'd stand up straight and put on a tie he'd make six figures, but my son ooooh he's so lazy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Do restaurants have lock-ins? This one does.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ryan is going to die but the date gets one hell of a story out of it so really this is a net positive

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mercury Hat posted:

Contrast with Dustin where you feel the narrative's telling us if only he'd stand up straight and put on a tie he'd make six figures, but my son ooooh he's so lazy.
Also get over the undiagnosed narcolepsy the writers don't realize they've given him. He's not goofing off, he just loving falls asleep at work, without ever being shown staying up late partying or watching youtube or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This is why this is the best New Bobbins story. The Oldest Wine and the Tape of Sad Songs are such wonderful specifics.