Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i have mixed opinions on this, its a very good number to get guaranteed for MLS, especially if it actually scales at all.

Apple+ is not exactly my preferred platform but I do like it all being on one platform and the end of regional blackouts. This will obviously substantially cut the TV rights deal they get, but still once you stack it we're looking at a high end of what MLS was aiming for.

I will be interested to see how well apple does on production and such, with no real baseline for what to expect. Also curious to see what pricing looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is MLS still going to be on ESPN+? Or do I have to pay for yet another streaming service

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
No, Apple is taking everything, with a national broadcast deal for select games that will still be simulcast being worked on.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TwoStepBoog posted:

Curious how this will effect negotiations with ESPN and FOX. Surely they're gonna pull back a lot of the money offered if Apple is gonna stream the games regardless.

Does it matter? Don just fleeced Apple for 250M for access to the approximately 27 people who subscribe to ESPN+ for MLS content, any money they get from ESPN or Fox is pure upside at this point.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Does it matter? Don just fleeced Apple for 250M for access to the approximately 27 people who subscribe to ESPN+ for MLS content, any money they get from ESPN or Fox is pure upside at this point.

Yes. They need Fox and ESPN so maybe somebody will watch a game once in a while.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
All the more reason for Don to be flexible negotiating with whoever their Linear TV Partners are going to be (ESPN/FOX/TUDN/TSN up here). With Apple they're not as important for revenue (obv every dollar counts) as for exposure/marketing.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

tk posted:

Yes. They need Fox and ESPN so maybe somebody will watch a game once in a while.

The league has made it this far without anyone ever watching it, don't see why they would need to worry about that now

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its good for MLS but 250 million leaguewide isn't really that much money and realistically they still need to scrap together as much as they can off the TV deal as well.

I would also like them to prioritize broad distribution with the natl tv deals, but the streaming money doesn't go that far when you split it among 30 something teams

quote:

Along with the new deal, the league announced a new schedule on Tuesday. All games will be played on Wednesday and Saturday nights when possible.
edit: I'm not particularly thrilled with the league scheduling even more matches on wednesday and saturday night however. What exactly is the point of a leagewide streaming package if all the games are at the same time? I generally prefer matches to be on Sunday anyway, or Saturday afternoon, or Friday evening even. A bunch of saturday night kickoffs are fine, and obviously in the summer earlier kick-offs are a bad idea in a lot of places...but in my opinion this is the exact opposite of what they should do.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 14, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Will they be on Apple TV for Canadians as well or what

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/letter-to-mls-fans-from-commissioner-garber

quote:

Beginning in 2023, we will launch a new MLS streaming service around the world on Apple TV.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

edit: I'm not particularly thrilled with the league scheduling even more matches on wednesday and saturday night however. What exactly is the point of a leagewide streaming package if all the games are at the same time? I generally prefer matches to be on Sunday anyway, or Saturday afternoon, or Friday evening even. A bunch of saturday night kickoffs are fine, and obviously in the summer earlier kick-offs are a bad idea in a lot of places...but in my opinion this is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Yeah, I'm less thrilled with the scheduling but people want consistency about "when's the soccer on" and this is a way to get that. Given that games will be spread across, what, three or four time zones (plus they're still leaving open the possibility of moves for whatever national broadcasters they get + venue conflicts) I'm pretty sure that there'll still be a decent spread of times.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Minimum 250 million a year with Apple for 10 years is pretty good given that MLS ratings on TV have been pretty much dead in the water outside of the occasional game that cracks 500k viewers.

Also, with being locked in for 10 years Apple might be incentivized to actually try to promote and grow the viewership of the league. To me it always felt like Fox and ESPN barely tried to promote the league, which given the ratings you can't really blame them. Hopefully Apple puts more into the league.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

its good for MLS but 250 million leaguewide isn't really that much money and realistically they still need to scrap together as much as they can off the TV deal as well.

The current deal is 90 Million, 250M is huge, its more than ESPN pays for La Liga, its more than Turner paid for the NHL, its an insane amount of money for a product that no one loving watches, and its only a minimum.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The deal seems good financially but bad for viewership

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quote:

Yeah, I'm less thrilled with the scheduling but people want consistency about "when's the soccer on" and this is a way to get that. Given that games will be spread across, what, three or four time zones (plus they're still leaving open the possibility of moves for whatever national broadcasters they get + venue conflicts) I'm pretty sure that there'll still be a decent spread of times.
I'm fairly skeptical the whens soccer on thing is a real issue, given its actually on pretty much all the time, just different leagues, competitions, etc - many of which outdraw MLS consistently. The attendance side of things may be different story. I just don't see a particular reason why they've settled on Saturday nights, personally I'd prefer basically any other time of the weekend, or just more spread out. It is what it is I guess.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The current deal is 90 Million, 250M is huge, its more than ESPN pays for La Liga, its more than Turner paid for the NHL, its an insane amount of money for a product that no one loving watches, and its only a minimum.

I totally agree its a huge improvement, but you're still talking about what, 8 million or so per team? That extra 5mil a year isn't radically altering finances in a way where MLS is suddenly all set or anything, they still need to squeeze as much as they can out of a tv deal. It supports the continued growth and stability of the league and is a big win though.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 14, 2022

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Ol Donny Dealz fleeced 'em again!

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What an absolutely robbery from Big Donny Garber here, really benefitting from the streaming wars.

The Soccer Don, indeed

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

I'm fairly skeptical the whens soccer on thing is a real issue, given its actually on pretty much all the time, just different leagues, competitions, etc - many of which outdraw MLS consistently.

I think it’s less “when’s soccer on” and more “when’s MLS on,” and if you can minimize the number of broadcast windows it’ll help to build that date equity. It’s what the NFL has with its Sunday windows, and single games on other days. And having all the games with no blackouts really helps.

Having it be a baseline for global rights as well is useful for somebody like me, who cannot legally get MLS because there’s no deal here. And if that also comes with a bump in quality and some other improvements then I’ll be happy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

harperdc posted:

Having it be a baseline for global rights as well is useful for somebody like me, who cannot legally get MLS because there’s no deal here. And if that also comes with a bump in quality and some other improvements then I’ll be happy.

When I was in Tokyo I just vpned back to the US to watch games, but it's definitely not optimal on a long term basis. I'll be out of the US a couple of times next year, so that part will be a lot better for sure.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Some of the Athletic people said the Apple TV deal eliminates local broadcasts entirely

Wtf

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Local TV/RSNs usually want local exclusivity (and thus blackouts in market), and the league no longer wants to give that to anyone. I think there's still room for local or national deals with any broadcaster prepared to live without a blackout on streaming, but obviously we'll just have to see what comes out of the boardrooms.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

harperdc posted:

I think it’s less “when’s soccer on” and more “when’s MLS on,” and if you can minimize the number of broadcast windows it’ll help to build that date equity. It’s what the NFL has with its Sunday windows, and single games on other days. And having all the games with no blackouts really helps.

But the NFL has been heading in the opposite direction (as has college football), spreading into the week with more games on Monday and Thursday, and they do Saturdays when college wraps. I just think its a dated concept and isn't really how people watch sports now - And i'm not sure why MLS would pick competing against prime time college football (among other things) during the season run in and playoffs as their time slot where they think they can build an audience.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 15, 2022

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Some of the Athletic people said the Apple TV deal eliminates local broadcasts entirely

Wtf

Yea, an interesting part of the deal for sure. Wonder what's gonna happen to a lot of the broadcasters around the country. Minnesota United's got a great broadcast team and it'd suck to just give them the boot. Hopefully Apple/MLS/whatever hires the better teams on.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

But the NFL has been heading in the opposite direction (as has college football), spreading into the week with more games on Monday and Thursday, and they do Saturdays when college wraps. I just think its a dated concept and isn't really how people watch sports now - And i'm not sure why MLS would pick competing against prime time college football (among other things) during the season run in and playoffs as their time slot where they think they can build an audience.

Maybe MLS thinks their core audience is people who believe football is gauche?

I think NFL schedule creep is greedy and bad and had a negative effect on football enjoyment. But they can get away with it because they're the NFL.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
MLS' core audience is the same as every other pro sport: degenerate gamblers

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
What the gently caress, they could straight up do this all along!

https://twitter.com/JeremiahOshan/status/1537601975126175744

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I haven't seen a bigger odds spread on an MLS match ever than RBNY/Toronto this weekend.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

What the gently caress, they could straight up do this all along!

I imagine the expense of changing surfaces at least twice a year (because the Seahawks sure as hell aren't going to want to keep the grass) is prohibitive, but the World Cup coming to town changes that calculus.

And perhaps by then the Seahawks will have moved out to Renton or whathaveyou.

Edward Mass posted:

I haven't seen a bigger odds spread on an MLS match ever than RBNY/Toronto this weekend.

:eyepop: NYRB -300 TOR +775 :eyepop:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

whypick1 posted:

:eyepop: NYRB -300 TOR +775 :eyepop:

It's gotten worse!!!!!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

is that good? or bad?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Azerban posted:

is that good? or bad?

It’s bad for you op. Perhaps I can interest you in this Jozy you’re already paying for?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

It's gotten worse!!!!!

toronto+1.5 at +110 is my bet :shrug:

lafc and san jose today seem like good bets too

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Late to the topic but...

whypick1 posted:

Cool, guess I'm resorting to piracy because I'm not giving any money to loving Apple.

:same:

This "deal" is garbage.

That, or I'll just generally ignore MLS, visit SKC games when I can, and continue to watch the Brasileirão on Fanatiz.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

toronto+1.5 at +110 is my bet :shrug:

lafc and san jose today seem like good bets too

i still have no idea what any of this means but if you're betting on tfc, stop

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

At the risk of getting whooshed: it's a point spread money line bet that will pay out $110 dollars for every $100 wagered (+110, money line) if Toronto does any better than losing by 2 goals (TOR +1.5, spread).

This did not happen because betting on Toronto this year is stupid and G-Hawk is probably the biggest degenerate in this thread for gambling on MLS in the first place.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

This did not happen because betting on Toronto this year is stupid and G-Hawk is probably the biggest degenerate in this thread for gambling on MLS in the first place.

I will bet on any mls team at those odds even toronto

But yes betting on mls and ufc simutaneously unlocks a new degenerate gambling app where you are offered odds on mls next pro and eagle fighting

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Rapids bring back Sam Nicholson from League 2, because if there's one thing they don't have enough of it's wingers.

At least we didn't go for Jozy. :v:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

kc no longer bottom of the table :toot:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

TwoStepBoog posted:

kc no longer bottom of the table :toot:

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Reports say that the 2023 All-Star Game will be held at Audi Field.