Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

WeBull is Chinese Robinhood with better charts. Pretty much any compaint you can leverage against Robinhood you can leverage against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah all the YouTube astrologers use webull to do their charting, their UI is pretty good from what I've seen

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What do I do when I get a cash dividend message from one of my stocks?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reinvest it and pray the market doesn't crash

Then pay exorbitant taxes on it

The aristocrats

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Grouchio posted:

What do I do when I get a cash dividend message from one of my stocks?

If its a good stock you should reinvest it and count on compounding dividends plus the...

Wait wrong thread. Buy a penny stock biotech. May I suggest NDRA

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buy SOFI

Eventually they'll have a dividend

... eventually

... maybe

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oscar Wild posted:

If its a good stock you should reinvest it and count on compounding dividends plus the...

Wait wrong thread. Buy a penny stock biotech. May I suggest NDRA
It's Avantis/AVLV. It went down a good deal today but my liquidity shot up. I am so lost.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Grouchio posted:

It's Avantis/AVLV. It went down a good deal today but my liquidity shot up. I am so lost.

If you believe the company is good; that it grows shareholder value and the dividend is consistent and growing and the likelihood of continuing income is growing you reinvest.

BUT,

If it doesn't get an above market level return lets say long term total return might be 8-15% after tax you take the dividend and buy alow fee index fund.

Diversification is usually better than concentration.

I cant belive I wrote this in this thread. Shameful

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Just reinvest it in AVLV, the reason it ate poo poo today was oil companies took a dive because the price of oil dropped a bit, and Exxon and others make up a large portion of their holdings.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I dont think there'll be much drop below the peak befor the covid crash. 335 or so. It's a correction, but not a 2008 correction.

Now watch how wrong i can be :rms:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

so you'd suggest at the money SPY puts, then? :hmmyes:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
holy poo poo i loaded up on 10k of an inverse BTC fund before market close on friday and am so stoked to see the carnage all weekend :getin:

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'll have to compare Webull more to other platforms, just kinda bought some stocks last time everything crashed hard in 2020 and then left it alone. Checked on my account now and somehow have a margin account (not sure if it just automatically upgraded or if I was smashed on cough meds one night and applied?), and there seems to not be many fees at all at this point. (Sidenote I'm a prude and almost never use margin, yet anyway, unless I'm wanting to do something outside of the market hours and know I'm covered.)

Day trading is limited but I figured that's true for any of these apps, but I guess I don't know that for sure. That is, it's limited until you have 25k in Webull anyway. I did however notice that the day trading limit (for this app anyway) does NOT include crypto trading as day trading. And you can buy fractional shares of a ton of things crypto. That's of course with the knowledge none of that money counts for poo poo and none of it counts towards the 25k sweetspot for full access day trading. Still, buying fractional shares of crypto and moving it all around has been a fun little pass time for me.

It's not like I'm trying to become a day trader but I also didn't try to have a margin account, so just sort of doing it as a passtime that seems to consistently pay off for now, at least the way I've been doing things. Which usually is just forgetting I did cool things and then leaving it alone for a long time. Crypto has been a bit different though, and def wouldn't suggest anyone getting into crypto unless they have a plan/system down and can cover their asses lol. I guess this app is coming out soon with a "crypto wallet" and I have no idea what that really entails. I just put whatever profits I make right now back into stocks that are "safe," and as long as I can keep doing that then it's a fun little work around if I like pretending I'm a day trader making those little 1$ profits lol. I think it's fun anyway. I'm the type of person that gets excited when I find a quarter on the ground though.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Day trading under $25,000 being limited is a Federal rule, so you'll find that at pretty much every brokerage. Your account being margin instead of cash is also pretty common, a strict cash account has different rules. Most accounts are margin by default. This is different than being allowed to trade on margin, more related to settlement periods. For example, robinhood defaults to a margin account so if you deposit $1000 you can trade with it instantly. Technically on a cash account the funds would have to clear first (taking a couple days) before you could trade with them. Then you can apply for margin on top of that, letting you borrow money.

Nothing wrong with WeBull or day trading crypto and having fun. The usual recommendation is keep your "serious" savings/investments separate from your fun money, otherwise when the fun goes wrong (or right) it can be tempting to dip into those funds to supplement your fun account, and that's where you get in trouble.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 18, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

downout posted:

I dont think there'll be much drop below the peak befor the covid crash. 335 or so. It's a correction, but not a 2008 correction.

Now watch how wrong i can be :rms:

Would not surprise me if it levels out/recovers to 335 after a sharp spike down below that

I guess in other words, I think it'll briefly overcorrect by a wide margin, then stabilize around that number

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish posted:

Buy out and socialize/subsidize housing (sweeping Air BnB off the face of the earth, for starters). The poors wouldn't change their fortunes overnight but could save a little bit more and not have stress pains over constantly ballooning rent.

The rent is too drat high. Lower the rent.

Following up with what looks to me like a drat good policy:

https://twitter.com/teneikaask_you/status/1537611442463154178

Shout out to the "what about the honest entrepreneurs who just want to buy up all the available housing and control prices and availability so no one can actually live anywhere :cry:" reply guys.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

ranbo das posted:

Day trading under $25,000 being limited is a Federal rule, so you'll find that at pretty much every brokerage. Your account being margin instead of cash is also pretty common, a strict cash account has different rules. Most accounts are margin by default. This is different than being allowed to trade on margin, more related to settlement periods. For example, robinhood defaults to a margin account so if you deposit $1000 you can trade with it instantly. Technically on a cash account the funds would have to clear first (taking a couple days) before you could trade with them. Then you can apply for margin on top of that, letting you borrow money.

Nothing wrong with WeBull or day trading crypto and having fun. The usual recommendation is keep your "serious" savings/investments separate from your fun money, otherwise when the fun goes wrong (or right) it can be tempting to dip into those funds to supplement your fun account, and that's where you get in trouble.

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing the confusion with margin, and that recommendation is legit. I spent years building up to this point so like hell would I let a loving dogecoin ruin it lol. But day trading, even tiny amounts, has been fun as heck. I also have no life though.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

holy poo poo i loaded up on 10k of an inverse BTC fund before market close on friday and am so stoked to see the carnage all weekend :getin:

nice! which one? I was thinking of buying a few puts on BITO for a couple months out, but I didnt expect bitcoin to go below 20k so fast

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

dsf posted:

nice! which one? I was thinking of buying a few puts on BITO for a couple months out, but I didnt expect bitcoin to go below 20k so fast

I'm in Canada so it's just the horizons products (TSE:BITI) - retail doesnt really have options trading, but there's a few good options. It's all my in TSFA though, so I've been pumping money picking up the NASDAQ inverse and BTC inverse products this spring. Likely going to go all cash soon and ride out the summer, as we'll hit a bottom, markets will be directionless, and then US midterms will decide where markets go.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

dsf posted:

I wish I was this smart I just bought puts on MSTR but it goes up 7% in the middle of bitcoin obliteration for God knows what reason. It definitely wasn't the best choice to bet on btc going down

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I was stoked to see the absolute wrench of a week for stocks. I put a few thousand in AVLV and AVUV after they dropped so much. I’m hoping I keep seeing red so I can keep buying low.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pmchem posted:

just gonna drop this here, chart starts in 1980

anyone spot the bubbles?

Isn't this why it's more accurate to view historical stock charts in log scale?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
It's probably more the reason why you don't just multiply a bunch of things together and expect it to…be constant? But maybe there's deep reasoning behind the formula that I'm not understanding.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

not really a typical question for this thread, but has anyone here ever allocated to managed futures / cross-asset trend-following funds? what are your thoughts?

they've done great in 1H2022 (so it's probably too late...) but it's an interesting alternative asset class that may be of use in the future as they not strongly correlated to stocks and bonds. these funds typically take both long and short positions in equity indexes, bond futures, various currency pairs and individual commodity futures.

examples:

PQTAX, GMSAX, LFMAX, AHLPX, ABYAX (mutual funds)
DBMF and KMLM (etfs)

some financial advisors put these in managed portfolios.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

About eight hours left to get your SPY guesses in

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

SPY $269

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hadlock posted:

About eight hours left to get your SPY guesses in

mine's still live

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hey thread, sanity check on a dumb idea here and wanted to pick the groupthink brain.

Say I have $5000, I would be OK if it went to zero but it sure would be great if I can turn it into gains.

Is it a decent proposition if I throw it all in Carvana ($CVNA) shares and let it sit for years? I did some light DD and it seems like CVNA has nowhere to go but up, that is unless they go BK. In terms of value I find that it compares favorably to CarMax ($KMX).

Any thoughts? How about buying calls worth $5k instead of $5k in shares, how would you all weigh that decision?

Thanks in advance.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
When did that show up on reddit?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oscar Wild posted:

When did that show up on reddit?

Is this a serious question? If you're asking how I got the idea, I was reading about their dumb fiasco with issuing titles and how it has died down by now (purchases allowed again in Illinois), but their share price is super low and outlook seems decent.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Well you say you've done due diligence and then ask about calls versus shares which are totally different. Your statement about holding it forever is in contradiction to buying calls which is either a hedge or highly speculative.

You buy calls if you expect the stock to move rapidly up over a very specific time frame which is the expiration date, sometimes. It's a leveraged bet in other words.

If you're serious then just buy the stock if you believe in it long term. Increases in interest rates should increase used car sales but those will be depressed also because loans will be more expensive. Fwiw the leadership agrees signaled by strong insider purchases.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Spy $241

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Inner Light posted:

How about buying calls worth $5k instead of $5k in shares, how would you all weigh that decision?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to hold it long term, buying would probably be the better option, as a LEAP right now has a premium+strike price ~$30 as opposed to the stock price of $24.xx. You're paying a lot for that time value.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Even if Carvana has cleaned up its act (and I'd be skeptical it's fixed everything so fast) it's a crowded marketplace, and in a year or two when supply chain shock finally ebbs used car prices could plummet. I would not be long Carvana. If I wanted to invest really long in online car buying, I'd probably want to invest in several of those companies at the same time so I'm not trying to pick a winner.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
$py 269

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

q_k posted:

If you want to hold it long term, buying would probably be the better option, as a LEAP right now has a premium+strike price ~$30 as opposed to the stock price of $24.xx. You're paying a lot for that time value.

Selling a downside put is another option.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New chart:

Of note, the old chart, generated back on ....3/2/2022, the average guess was for a low point of $390.70

New average is $298.10, almost $100 lower than before

edit: I guess we hit $366 on 6/16/2022

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 20, 2022

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

edit: I guess we hit $366 on 6/16/2022

Pshht 366.7, didn't close below it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Inner Light posted:

Is it a decent proposition if I throw it all in Carvana ($CVNA) shares and let it sit for years? I did some light DD and it seems like CVNA has nowhere to go but up, that is unless they go BK. In terms of value I find that it compares favorably to CarMax ($KMX).
I don't see how they compare well in value. KMX has over double the sales of CVNA and positive profit margins, while CVNA is continuing to lose money.
Also, what's to stop KMX from trying some of the same tactics CVNA is doing, whatever they are doing well?

My experience last year with CVNA wasn't that great: they offered me half the value on a used car that I had to sell, that was in excellent condition, compared to what a nearby Ford dealership offered me instead (sold to the Ford dealer). With this current strained economic environment, with supply-chain issues and stagflationary threats, where used cars have gone way up in value I don't see how CVNA can complete on the bids against more established car retailers with access to more capital.

But I haven't done the extreme DD on CVNA, so perhaps they have some long-term growth strategy that's still being implemented that will pay off later, despite the competition with other auto retailers? Any recent positive long-term outlook that can be defended from CVNA's management?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

pmchem posted:

not really a typical question for this thread, but has anyone here ever allocated to managed futures / cross-asset trend-following funds? what are your thoughts?

they've done great in 1H2022 (so it's probably too late...) but it's an interesting alternative asset class that may be of use in the future as they not strongly correlated to stocks and bonds. these funds typically take both long and short positions in equity indexes, bond futures, various currency pairs and individual commodity futures.

examples:

PQTAX, GMSAX, LFMAX, AHLPX, ABYAX (mutual funds)
DBMF and KMLM (etfs)

some financial advisors put these in managed portfolios.

It's an interesting idea. I don't think there's anything like this available on the ASX unfortunately but it's the sort of thing that could be good as part of a larger portfolio.

There's obviously some money to be made in futures if you know what you're doing (and don't end up with a bulk carrier worth of ornamental gourds dumped in your driveway because you forgot to sell) although I wouldn't be surprised if these funds will be eating poo poo once inflation starts to subside.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 20, 2022