Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just curious, if you have a 5600X, what kinds of temperatures do you normally experience? I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5600X this week and immediately noticed my temps are at least 10 degrees higher across the board even with a 240mm AIO (yes, I know Zen 3 runs pretty warm overall but I want to see what the range is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

Just curious, if you have a 5600X, what kinds of temps do you normally experience? I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5600X this week and immediately noticed my temps are at least 10 degrees higher across the board even with a 240mm AIO (yes, I know Zen 3 runs pretty warm overall but I want to see what the range is)

5600X with fully stock cpu settings (~75W max socket power) cooled by a dark rock pro 4 in a P400A case with noctua fans, my CPU is maxing out at 56C during a prime95 "Small FFTs" test, and my fans were only spinning at half speed (so my pc couldn't be heard over the ambient noise)

If I do the same test with 100W max socket power, the temps settle at around 66C with a little bit of audible fan noise.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 19, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sanctum posted:

e: Watched a video of the stock 1700 cooler and that little thing is noisy. Alright screw it hope I get this backplate and everything on right :ohdear:

Just to allay your fears by confirming what you've been told, this is absolutely the standard now. It's engineered to be so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If it weren't for how fuckoff huge my GPU is then my be quiet! Dark Rock SLim would easily be the biggest thing in my case. The thing is massive, and I know it is more compact than other coolers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sanctum posted:

So I went with this exact build but uhm what is this thing I bought? It's HUGE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0982VWQN1?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Says it's a heatsink but how would I attach it? Even if I could fit it in the case, the heatsink is is so heavy I wouldn't trust it to stay seated properly against the CPU unless I left my PC lying on it's side. It's impractically huge and heavy. I'm worried about the constant torque it would put on the motherboard might snap with motherboard when the tower is vertical. Seems way too risky to attempt to install vs the stock heatsink.

e: Watched a video of the stock 1700 cooler and that little thing is noisy. Alright screw it hope I get this backplate and everything on right :ohdear:

Tell us how it performs, if you don't mind. I've been recommending this cooler to others because on paper it seems like the best value cooler on the market. But I haven't seen much hands on impressions, outside some youtube/reddit comments and my own own positive experience with Thermalright.

Also since you're new to this, double check that it has the 1700 bracket. I've seen reports of it not actually being included (despite what it says in the listing).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think GPUs have left people with an unreasonable expectation of how much a motherboard can hold - the problem there isn't the motherboard or connection, it's that GPUs have gone like 4x or more in size and the PCIE connection/screw were absolutely never intended for that amount of weight.

if you have four or more screws to contrast your mobo can carry a ton, so long as it's anchored correctly. i'd recommend maybe either taking it off or using foam if you need to ship it, but otherwise you will be 100% fine.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
anyone in the uk looking for a prebuild imo this is very very good

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/intel-11th-rtx-3060-gaming-system-no-storage-or-os-from-ps65280-rtx3070-ps92280-at-palicomp-3951325

no storage, so in the event you don't have an SSD or whatever add a little extra, and a winders key from SA mart, and the PSU in the 3060 deal is kind of anemic which you might want to upgrade - but you could kit out a 3060/11400 system for 7-800 quid, less if you have the parts on hand. just the GPU was selling for around 650 not that long ago, lol.

palicomp are not immensely well thought of - very barebones and their service package/aftercare is known to be kind of poo poo. but you can't argue with the price, and all the components are off the shelf so it's not a dell esque proprietary nightmare.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm getting two red POST lights for BOOT and for DRAM.

Edit
Reseated RAM
Only the VGA red light is on now. I don't have a gpu but my monitor is connected to the motherboard, shouldn't the CPU be able to act as a gpu?

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 19, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sanctum posted:

Edit
Reseated RAM
Only the VGA red light is on now. I don't have a gpu but my monitor is connected to the motherboard, shouldn't the CPU be able to act as a gpu?

If you bought the i7-12700F then no, it does not include a GPU on the processor. The -F means no internal GPU.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Edit
Reseated RAM

You bought a cpu without an igpu.
Congrats :v:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sanctum posted:

Edit
Reseated RAM

Why have you built it without a GPU? Why are you saying you don't have a GPU when in your last few posts you said you bought a 3080, yet also have a 1070ti that still worked great?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sanctum posted:

I don't have a gpu but my monitor is connected to the motherboard, shouldn't the CPU be able to act as a gpu?

:ughh:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why have you built it without a GPU? Why are you saying you don't have a GPU when in your last few posts you said you bought a 3080, yet also have a 1070ti that still worked great?
The GPU arrives tomorrow. Wish I'd gone for a processor with an internal GPU, it's been very useful anytime I have GPU/driver issues I need to troubleshoot.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I seem to remember seeing in this thread some reference to the idea that the intel LAN chipset was better than the alternative. How heavily should I weigh that in my decision between a MSI z690 pro, which has the intel lan chipset, and an Asus TUF gaming H670, which perhaps doesn’t? I know there are other differences between the Z and the H chipset but I don’t really plan on overclocking. The Z is $10 cheaper at micro center and may have this better LAN setup, but the listed LAN speeds are the same.

Saving the $10 for the nominally better z690 chipset kinda seems like a no brainer, since these are both decent mobos. I’ve tried reading up on which brand is generally better or which bios or software is better and you can find very strong opinions on either side.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I suppose it's a good thing that I've started my rebuild because my mobo's DRAM light has started flashing when I boot up certain memory intensive games. I'll probably have to buy some new ram sticks sooner than expected because the light still turns on after I re-seated the sticks.

I also switched to a micro atx mobo so I have more room for cables and a larger PSU when that purchase comes up. I'll yank out the DVD drive too just to maximize cable space.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sanctum posted:

The GPU arrives tomorrow. Wish I'd gone for a processor with an internal GPU, it's been very useful anytime I have GPU/driver issues I need to troubleshoot.

I will never build without an IGPU again. Last time I did was 2600K, on a P67 motherboard so I could not use IGPU. It never bit me in the rear end because I always had a backup card on hand, but it's just too useful of a feature to give up. My Haswell's IGPU helped big time when I needed more video outs than a card I had in it would provide for a while; set some stuff in the BIOS and suddenly GPU and IGPU play nice together, easy. I don't see a downside to an IGPU, personally.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
5 pack of Arctic P12 PWM PST 120mm PC Case Fans on sale on amazon for £23, which is not bad at all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HC782D5?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

i think these are the ones which reviewed super well

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

5 pack of Arctic P12 PWM PST 120mm PC Case Fans on sale on amazon for £23, which is not bad at all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HC782D5?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

i think these are the ones which reviewed super well

I have some of these, they are really good (especially for the price)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Hey, question for folks regarding cpu bottlenecks and whatnot.

My brother has a i5-2500K that is using a gtx 1080 owned by me as his rx 480 died - he wants to get his own gpu for this older cpu system that wouldn't be too much of an overbuy for the cpu. What gpus would he be looking at right now.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Spacedad posted:

- he wants to get his own gpu for this older cpu system that wouldn't be too much of an overbuy for the cpu. What gpus would he be looking at right now.

That's a decade old CPU, literally every modern GPU will be bottlenecked by it. Better to think about a total overhaul at this point rather than letting a 10 year old part dictate what GPU he gets.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's a decade old CPU, literally every modern GPU will be bottlenecked by it. Better to think about a total overhaul at this point rather than letting a 10 year old part dictate what GPU he gets.

I agree totally - I am trying to talk him into upgrading to a new system later this year.

For now I want my gtx 1080 that he's currently using back so I can throw it in my older system as a backup in case my main workstation build fails. (So I can keep doing animation freelance work uninterrupted.)

I'm currently looking at getting him to pick up a 6600xt or 6650xt. Yes it will bottleneck like heck. But that seems to be the good current option for when he upgrades later on.

Anyway - I just talked to him now in the middle of typing this post and it looks like he will in fact be getting a new-system upgrade later this year around later summer or fall-ish.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 20, 2022

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Hello puter goons! I built my partner a PC recently, and it's been having an issue where it spontaneously shuts off every once in a while, maybe once every few days or so. Seems to happen more often when playing particular games.

I'm trying to diagnose the issue but I'm not much of a Windows user these days and I'm not really sure where to look.

These are the specs:
  • NZXT N7 B550
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Geforce RTX 3070 Founder's Edition
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB
  • NZXT Kraken X53 RGB cooler
  • NZXT C750 power supply
I ran a benchmark when I built it and it didn't seem like there were any temperature issues. I've also swapped out the power supply with another one of the same model and it didn't affect anything. As far as I know it should be big enough to handle this PC, but do I maybe need to swap it for a bigger one?

Would there be any logs or anything that I could look at to get more info on why it's shutting down?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dizzywhip posted:

Hello puter goons! I built my partner a PC recently, and it's been having an issue where it spontaneously shuts off every once in a while, maybe once every few days or so. Seems to happen more often when playing particular games.

I'm trying to diagnose the issue but I'm not much of a Windows user these days and I'm not really sure where to look.

These are the specs:
  • NZXT N7 B550
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Geforce RTX 3070 Founder's Edition
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB
  • NZXT Kraken X53 RGB cooler
  • NZXT C750 power supply
I ran a benchmark when I built it and it didn't seem like there were any temperature issues. I've also swapped out the power supply with another one of the same model and it didn't affect anything. As far as I know it should be big enough to handle this PC, but do I maybe need to swap it for a bigger one?

Would there be any logs or anything that I could look at to get more info on why it's shutting down?

Random shutdowns (no blue screens or other error reports) with no other signs of instability are almost always a power-related issue. You can try double-checking that all of your power cables are plugged in fully (make sure the +2s on your 6+2 pin connectors are properly in there), but my bet would be on transient loads. By that, I mean power spikes. 30-series graphics cards can cause large power spikes that last just a millisecond or so well in excess of their rated sustained power draw. Not all power supplies cope well with this, and these power spikes may be tripping your unit's overpower/overcurrent protection. If the PSU is still within its return period, I'd return it and get something like a SuperNOVA G6 instead.

If there were any system-level errors happening, they'd probably be in the Event Viewer. PSU troubles won't show up in any system logs though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What would be a fair price for my old build? I'm going to list it for sale since I upgraded awhile back.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($250.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($499.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $969.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-20 17:13 EDT-0400

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Spacedad posted:

I'm currently looking at getting him to pick up a 6600xt or 6650xt. Yes it will bottleneck like heck. But that seems to be the good current option for when he upgrades later on.
6600 XT is generally a very good value 1080p card at the moment, there's not much reason to get a 6650 XT which only has the most marginal performance improvements and isn't heavily discounted like the 6600 XT can be found for

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Random shutdowns (no blue screens or other error reports) with no other signs of instability are almost always a power-related issue. You can try double-checking that all of your power cables are plugged in fully (make sure the +2s on your 6+2 pin connectors are properly in there), but my bet would be on transient loads. By that, I mean power spikes. 30-series graphics cards can cause large power spikes that last just a millisecond or so well in excess of their rated sustained power draw. Not all power supplies cope well with this, and these power spikes may be tripping your unit's overpower/overcurrent protection. If the PSU is still within its return period, I'd return it and get something like a SuperNOVA G6 instead.

If there were any system-level errors happening, they'd probably be in the Event Viewer. PSU troubles won't show up in any system logs though.

That makes sense and is very helpful, thank you! I'll try picking up a beefier power supply.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
So I'm reconsidering building a pc based upon the pc parts picker entry level gaming build.
However, I've opted for a better case, psu, and ssd. Also I'm planning on temporarily using my old nvidia 750ti as a gpu. Any noticeable issues with this set up?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.89 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $481.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-20 17:37 EDT-0400

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

dizzywhip posted:

That makes sense and is very helpful, thank you! I'll try picking up a beefier power supply.

FWIW, I’ve been running a 5600X and 3070 FE on a 550-watt Corsair PSU just fine

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dizzywhip posted:

It's not about the maximum wattage it's rated for. It's about the general quality of the PSU. Don't get another NZXT one or it might just start happening again, even at 850W. EVGA G6 series, Corsair RM series, CoolerMaster Gold V2 series, Thermaltake GF1, Seasonic Focus Plus, to name a few of the ones that have gotten good reviews. Corsair RM series is probably the most popular one. The RM750 would do you fine. I linked the EVGA G6 because it's cheaper and still high quality with a 10-year warranty (uses a Seasonic platform). You shouldn't need more than 750W in any case.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like a decent 2TB gen 3 nvme drive for $150, R/W 3500/3000MB/s

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-SX8100-Gen3x4-3000MB-ASX8100NP-2TT-C/dp/B07ZGJ5TSC?th=1

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So how is the market atm?
Is it still a dumpster fire or has anything improved?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
waaaaaaaaaaaay better. supply is somewhere between normal and abundant, depending on how responsive the retailer has been adjusting pricing to demand. with crypto unprofitable again the secondhand market is very good and reports of 600 dollar 3080s you can get off former miners are cropping up in numerous places.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CoolCab posted:

waaaaaaaaaaaay better. supply is somewhere between normal and abundant, depending on how responsive the retailer has been adjusting pricing to demand. with crypto unprofitable again the secondhand market is very good and reports of 600 dollar 3080s you can get off former miners are cropping up in numerous places.

My god.
Like Mana from heaven.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crypto crashing is making it much, much easier to get a hold of a new GPU now

https://twitter.com/hitstreak/status/1538276653876424704

Prices should only continue to lower as we approach the 40 series launch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All of those GPUs, even at the sales prices are still at least $100 over MSRP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X motherboard with 32GB of DDR5-5200 for $300: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4502626

Really good deal for a basic LGA1700/DDR5 setup. I did some digging and found that the RAM here uses Micron dies, which aren't as overclockable as SK Hynix (the most overclockable DDR5 manufacturer currently). But people have still taken them to ~5400 CL38, which is a small boost over this set's stock XMP profile. You'd probably get the equivalent of midrange DDR4 performance in most games, and better in games that like high-bandwidth memory. Though, be warned that memory overclocking is a whole thing. If you want to avoid manual overclocking with DDR5, then you have to pay out the nose for a set with a fast XMP profile.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not about the maximum wattage it's rated for. It's about the general quality of the PSU. Don't get another NZXT one or it might just start happening again, even at 850W. EVGA G6 series, Corsair RM series, CoolerMaster Gold V2 series, Thermaltake GF1, Seasonic Focus Plus, to name a few of the ones that have gotten good reviews. Corsair RM series is probably the most popular one. The RM750 would do you fine. I linked the EVGA G6 because it's cheaper and still high quality with a 10-year warranty (uses a Seasonic platform). You shouldn't need more than 750W in any case.

I went ahead and picked up the Supernova G6 you recommended. I'll report back on how it goes in a week or two :cheers:

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tomatillos/saved/#view=7jcmCJ

If anyone could give me a quick sanity check on this, I'd be grateful. The GPU listed is on deep discount at a reliable retailer where I live (Taiwan) so the total build will end up being around 900 bucks cheaper than pc parts picker says it should be.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

FART BOSS posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tomatillos/saved/#view=7jcmCJ

If anyone could give me a quick sanity check on this, I'd be grateful. The GPU listed is on deep discount at a reliable retailer where I live (Taiwan) so the total build will end up being around 900 bucks cheaper than pc parts picker says it should be.

Nothing wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gonna be a beast. i might suggest going a little higher end on the memory simply because you've bought most of the kit to play around with overclocking and as such that might appeal to you and to pair with the general mid to high end machine, but honestly what you picked is totally fine.