Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Are there any images/illustrations of a Dark Angels Plasma Repeater? I’m trying to figure out how to convert one and have it look distinct from a plasma gum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I played a 1250pt game of ZM using the new rules last night against forums poster Stanyer.

I played a terror assault Night Lords list. I took a jetpack praetor with a paragon blade, a vigilator, a 15man tac squad, an assault squad, a 10man raptor squad, and an 8man heavy support squad with missile launchers. Stanyer was playing IWs and took a cataphracti terminator armored praetor with a paragon blade, 2 tac squads, a legion support squad with melta guns, 5 siege tyrants, heavy bolter rapiers, and a contemptor with a multi melta.

We rolled the killpoints mission and both chose infantry as our target. He deployed his rapiers and siege tyrants in the opposite corner from my infantry blob and the rest right across the table. I infiltrated my vigilator in the opposite corner. I moved up the board and managed to avoid the fire from his tyrants and rapiers and wiped his support squad in assault and locked up his contemptor with the 2 jump squads; where I remained for the next 4 turns grinding down his contemptor. Theyre tough as nails now. His tac squad pinned mine repeatedly with shrapnel bolters before forcing them to fall back off the table edge. My missile launcher support squad quickly came under fire from his tyrants and rapiers and failed a series of morale checks and fell off the table (its fine this is fluffy).

Once the contemptor died I charged and killed his rapiers with my assault squad shortly before getting shot to pieces by the remaining IW tac squad and siege tyrants. It was a grinding bloody fight; that ended in a tie lmao.

This is the first time we've used the new ZM rules. Things are alot different. The lack of reaction fire removes alot of utility from shooting units. Previously you usually got a full BS overwatch; now its more or less the old overwatch where you're firing snapshots. The Displace reaction is really good. When you get shot at you can move your initiative characteristic around a corner; totally nullifying the enemy units shooting attack. Also jetpacks don't need to take dangerous checks anymore so I could just do whatever i wanted with my jump infantry without worrying about them flying into a wall and dying. Overall I think the rules are probably a little worse than they were previously. I miss deepstriking terminators and reaction fire. But this is only my first game and im gonna give it an honest shot!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
"All Army List profiles for the Warhammer: The Horus heresy - Age of Darkness range are divided into two categories: Core units and Expanded units. All of the units in this book are 'Core' units. These represent the mainstay of the Legiones Astartes and are supported by a wide range of miniatures. Expanded units will have rules for their use provided in supplementary PDF downloads available from the Games Workshop website, White Dwarf magazine or other places.

"Both types of unit may be freely used in any Horus Heresy battle, and this category does not affect their availability as part of an army or Detachment or the rules for their use during a battle.

"As new units and models are released, their Army List Profiles will clearly state if those units are Core or Expanded units, and future publications may shift the category of a given unit, with any such changes clearly noted in the unit's Army List Profile."

-Liber Hereticus page 8

That's not how I was expecting them to resolve that, but cool.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Is this the first time this has been confirmed in print to be the palatine aquila?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hixson posted:

A very nice looking game

This is a very nice looking game

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
[Wrong thread]

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there a good armybuilder app for the new edition out there? I can whip up a list with a calculator but it'd be a lot easier if I had a program that let me look at the list as I was building it.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a good armybuilder app for the new edition out there? I can whip up a list with a calculator but it'd be a lot easier if I had a program that let me look at the list as I was building it.

There is not, and according to the BattleScribe team there will not be for some time. Your best bet for right now is probably an Excel sheet.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A BattleScribe is already stretching the definition of "good"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Hixson posted:

I played a 1250pt game of ZM using the new rules last night against forums poster Stanyer.

I played a terror assault Night Lords list. I took a jetpack praetor with a paragon blade, a vigilator, a 15man tac squad, an assault squad, a 10man raptor squad, and an 8man heavy support squad with missile launchers. Stanyer was playing IWs and took a cataphracti terminator armored praetor with a paragon blade, 2 tac squads, a legion support squad with melta guns, 5 siege tyrants, heavy bolter rapiers, and a contemptor with a multi melta.

But did you roll off for ceilings?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Oh well, I used to write out army lists all the way back in 5th edition (even if I was too young and too poor to actually get together an army) so its not like I haven't done it before. At least I don't have to deal with all the weird detachment stuff of 9th edition and can just use the one Force Org chart.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Stephenls posted:

Is this the first time this has been confirmed in print to be the palatine aquila?

Explicitly, maybe. But 1) wearing the palatine aquila was a uniquely earned EC privilege and 2) that symbol has been on III legion imagery forever.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

moths posted:

Explicitly, maybe. But 1) wearing the palatine aquila was a uniquely earned EC privilege and 2) that symbol has been on III legion imagery forever.

I know the background ("Emperor's Children are the only Legion who can wear the aquila, no wait we put the aquila on other models, we mean the palatine aquila, a super special aquila that belongs to the emperor. What's that, you want a picture of it, to know how it's different from a regular aquila? Uh, look over there!" *smokebomb*), I just want to know if this is the first time they've made it explicit

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Good: My BOX came on release day.

Bad: I have a mispack.

Still, not as bad as the guy on Reddit who had a rulebook printed upside down and back to front.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TTerrible posted:

Good: My BOX came on release day.

Bad: I have a mispack.

Still, not as bad as the guy on Reddit who had a rulebook printed upside down and back to front.
Ah, the Alpha Legion edition.

I got two Axe Praetors in mine and no Sword Praetor, but I have gone and ordered a second box so I guess in the grand scheme of things it's fine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was e-bullied into buying the box at 30% off. Now I need to wait and see if it actually turns up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can you make a ZM board using the Hobbit hole hill terrain?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
got my box, just need my forgeworld upgrade kits and I can start putting together these beakies

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

After my little adventure with the pre-ordered box, I attended a Scale Modelling event yesterday. My country's GW distributor attended the show, and unknown to me posted on their FB page that the first person to come to their stand and say "Magnus did nothing wrong" will get a HH box with a hefty discount.

I got a box for a 150 euros. I got a rulebook for sale.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My preorder hasn't even shipped yet.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

I got two Axe Praetors in mine and no Sword Praetor, but I have gone and ordered a second box so I guess in the grand scheme of things it's fine.
Knowing my luck, I'll get your second Sword guy. He's _fine_, but that Axe dude is :discourse:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ah, the Alpha Legion edition.

lol never change FW

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My LGS that "couldn't" pre order me a Horus Heresy box has his shelves crammed with a half dozen of them. Too bad I already ordered one direct from GW!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm long out of the game (local scene died on 8th release), but keeping an eye on the new release. In every circle I'm in, everyone is posting their Praetors... and I haven't seen a single person yet who hasn't heavily converted their axe praetor. Guess the design isn't so popular after all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I’m been working on the Kratos since yesterday. I figured next will the Dreadie and Spartan first.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
My pre-order of Box and Books is still pending =(

And why did Forgeworld discontinue their MK2 armor? I inherited some old heresy DA torsos and when I went to order some MK2 legs they just didn't exist =( =(

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
So I bought the starter set, expecting that the MkVI marines would just go unbuilt for a while because I don't like beakies. But then I had an idea. The big difference between MkIV and MkVI armor is the helmet and the kneepads. I have loads of unbuilt MkIVs because of how boring the pose options were, so lots of spare heads and spare bodies. So I decided gently caress it, I'm converting the starter marines into MkIVs by clipping off the kneepads off MkIV legs and slotting them into the MkVI legs.

This is a perfectly reasonable amount of effort to expend on line infantry.

I also finished a Leviathan for my FDE Imperial Fists:

Well, nearly finished. Still needs some dust on the feet and legs and a coat of matte varnish.

On another note, does anyone see what the Glaive is for nowadays? Compared to 1.0, it's 75 points more (700 points), but the Volkite Carronade is now just AP3, and it lost Ignores Cover and Haywire. I'm struggling to figure out why I'd take a Glaive over a Fellblade, given that the Fellblade is also good at killing 3+ in the open with its 7" blast HE shell, but also has an AP shell capable of killing heavy vehicles and ignoring 2+ armor, which the Glaive can't do anymore. And it's 50 points cheaper.

For one of the most expensive non-Titan units in the game, I don't really get what the point of it is meant to be.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 20, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Aesaar posted:

So I bought the starter set, expecting that the MkVI marines would just go unbuilt for a while because I don't like beakies. But then I had an idea. The big difference between MkIV and MkVI armor is the helmet and the kneepads. I have loads of unbuilt MkIVs because of how boring the pose options were, so lots of spare heads and spare bodies. So I decided gently caress it, I'm converting the starter marines into MkIVs by clipping off the kneepads off MkIV legs and slotting them into the MkVI legs.

This is a perfectly reasonable amount of effort to expend on line infantry.

Those look great.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm long out of the game (local scene died on 8th release), but keeping an eye on the new release. In every circle I'm in, everyone is posting their Praetors... and I haven't seen a single person yet who hasn't heavily converted their axe praetor. Guess the design isn't so popular after all.

I feel part of it is the 30k community... most people put in extra effort, and your leaders are center pieces, so they usually get extra attention and conversions

I'm more surprised people start with their HQs. I usually save mine for last

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BULBASAUR posted:

I feel part of it is the 30k community... most people put in extra effort, and your leaders are center pieces, so they usually get extra attention and conversions

I'm more surprised people start with their HQs. I usually save mine for last

That fuckin pile of marines in the box is intimidating

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Only if you're really cool

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh well, I used to write out army lists all the way back in 5th edition (even if I was too young and too poor to actually get together an army) so its not like I haven't done it before. At least I don't have to deal with all the weird detachment stuff of 9th edition and can just use the one Force Org chart.

At least we now have google sheets to make the math easier.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm going to do one of my (apparently 3, unless my second box has two sword guys) Axe Praetors as the default, since I figure the default look of axe and topknot works for White Scars (Jaghatai did apparently wield an axe at one point if the lore about the Dark Hunters successor chapter is correct, so it fits). I'll probably try my hand at converting the other two at some point.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I mean, if you don’t convert the Praetor then it’ll look like everyone else’s and that’s lame. You’ve gotta forge the narrative and really make it your dude. Imagine where he got his gubbins from and what kind of stalwart hero or nasty traitor he is. Become one with the tiny plastic mans

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Just lol if the Emperor's lackeys are not forced to defend a few handful of Rohan houses from the endless hordes of World Eaters assault troops on the regular.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I want to try and make my own ZM walls using leftover sprue and cardboard.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go HAM with optional pieces for the Praetors since they have to cover 18 Legions.

Guess this way they sell more kits when you want to give Malibu Torgaddon a new hat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm building 30k scouts. Feels weird, but bayonets on bolters feels good.

What does a Nemesis Bolter look like? Is that the sniper variant?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moths posted:

I'm building 30k scouts. Feels weird, but bayonets on bolters feels good.

What does a Nemesis Bolter look like? Is that the sniper variant?

Aren't nemesis bolters just loaded with a different type of ammo?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, like in the Space Marine game, right?

I thought they just had long barrels and like, a lasgun for a red-dot or something. Isn't that what the Raven Guard guys get?

I'm very surprised how little Google has helped me here, but Nemesis force weapons dominate the search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

Yeah, like in the Space Marine game, right?

I thought they just had long barrels and like, a lasgun for a red-dot or something. Isn't that what the Raven Guard guys get?

I'm very surprised how little Google has helped me here, but Nemesis force weapons dominate the search.

The version in Space Marine is a Stalker bolter. Is that what you're looking for?