Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
accelerationists believe the final contradiction of capitalism will usher in some new world order post collapse (Marxist, anarchist, w/e), that people will rise up in revolt once the horrors of capitalism are laid bare, and as such efforts to dull or mitigate the negative outcomes of capitalism are counterproductive. there are imo some quite serious problems with this idea, but they're not nihilists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
itll be a new world order alright, everyone'll be starving or fighting over water

this is good for bitcoin

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Fun fact if they accidentally loan money to someone in a certain state, or they move…it’s unenforceable. Certain states don’t give a poo poo about some unlicensed (in the state) payday company getting hosed.
One of the few good things the Arkansas Legislature ever did was enforce the usury clause in the state constitution, which effectively banned payday lenders and their ilk

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cacafuego posted:

This isn’t Danny Devito

You guys are gonna have your minds blown when you find out there's this whole metropolitan region, prominently featuring people of a certain ancestry, who speak like this in reality.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, this was just released today, an hour long breakdown of the hidden and not-so-hidden racist trolling behind Bored Ape Yacht Club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpH3O6mnZvw

My feelings on it are mixed. While a lot of the imagery is pretty unarguably racist 4chan poo poo (the BYAC logo being a literal SS death head, the main mascot from their metaverse wearing the same shirt as a famous boogaloo boy) a lot of the cryptography conclusions will make most people see this video itself as another crazy conspiracy. Which, if it's right, is clearly by design by the BYAC founders. I just don't see it making the splash Philion and Ryder Rips hope it will.

And the final call to action is to... Buy another NFT? Even if it's proving a point about the reality of ownership with NFTs by copying BYAC's art, all you're doing is driving legitimacy of NFTs and BYAC in particular instead of making any statement about the racism.

I dunno. I agree with the sentiment but I see this fizzling out after a day or so at most.

I've tried hard to avoid learning as much about apes as possible, so lol that so much of their marketing is filled with blatant dogwhistles.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

fez_machine posted:

hmmm unless you're using a different a.i. generator than DALL-E mini that's faked AI image generation

Contrast to the batch I generated just now

both examples look better than real simpsons.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

kw0134 posted:

It's arguably a security (though it's a bit hard to say whether it strictly passes the Howey Test in the US) and if not then it's at the very least a bank-like function which brings its own set of regulations.
I can think of one Howey Test it won't pass: "Howey going to explain why the kids' college fund is all gone?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Grape posted:

You guys are gonna have your minds blown when you find out there's this whole metropolitan region, prominently featuring people of a certain ancestry, who speak like this in reality.

It's just Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what's the difference between buying crypto and buying miami real estate?

https://twitter.com/connpost/status/1538227175731634180

Either way you're going to end up underwater!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Those “pixel” pavers annoy me. Make a loving path or don’t!! What is that poo poo.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, this was just released today, an hour long breakdown of the hidden and not-so-hidden racist trolling behind Bored Ape Yacht Club:

My feelings on it are mixed. While a lot of the imagery is pretty unarguably racist 4chan poo poo (the BYAC logo being a literal SS death head, the main mascot from their metaverse wearing the same shirt as a famous boogaloo boy) a lot of the cryptography conclusions will make most people see this video itself as another crazy conspiracy. Which, if it's right, is clearly by design by the BYAC founders. I just don't see it making the splash Philion and Ryder Rips hope it will.

And the final call to action is to... Buy another NFT? Even if it's proving a point about the reality of ownership with NFTs by copying BYAC's art, all you're doing is driving legitimacy of NFTs and BYAC in particular instead of making any statement about the racism.

I dunno. I agree with the sentiment but I see this fizzling out after a day or so at most.

I'm currently in the ARG bit of this video and it really feels like this part is super unnecessary. All the death's head poo poo and 4chan connections were enough to convince me twice over.

Really, just the 4chan connections would've convinced me bayc is racist garbage, not just regular garbage.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
the real estate market is mostly an open scam as well, and a massive money laundering op, so not surprised they'd accept the buttcoin.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/celsiusnetwork/status/1538673050991808512

"You guys it's okay we're gonna be okay we promise"

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Teddybear posted:

https://twitter.com/celsiusnetwork/status/1538673050991808512

"You guys it's okay we're gonna be okay we promise"

LMAO. They're screwing over thousands of dumbos and the best they can muster up is eight sentences and an "unprecedented times" cliche. I like that they are also withdrawing from social media, so when they eventually dip out completely nobody will know exactly when it happened.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when it comes to bitcoin what's yours is mined

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mozi posted:

when it comes to bitcoin what's yours is mined

FUDs of life

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I like Phillion's stuff most of the time but this video isn't really worth watching. Key points are summarized at the link in the video description if you want to save yourself an hour

https://gordongoner.com/

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mimesweeper posted:

itll be a new world order alright, everyone'll be starving or fighting over water

this is good for bitcoin

Any true believer would tell you that if poors can't afford $1000/gallon for water, it'll be their fault for not having bought into crypto.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BigBadSteve posted:

Any true believer would tell you that if poors can't afford $1000/gallon for water, it'll be their fault for not having bought into crypto.
While they would absolutely still denominate prices in USD, simply to assert their power, here's a better question for you: Would the Humungus adhere to the NAP?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
But I thought this was the best time to buy? trading this market is exciting for me but investing, holy poo poo no thanks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I'm currently in the ARG bit of this video and it really feels like this part is super unnecessary. All the death's head poo poo and 4chan connections were enough to convince me twice over.

Really, just the 4chan connections would've convinced me bayc is racist garbage, not just regular garbage.

For me it's the logo being the SS death head alone. Any other digging beyond that makes it muddier.

I wish he had actually investigated and turned up something more substantial rather than literally summarizing someone else's conspiracy red line wall. And, again, I AGREE with him, it's so loving obvious - but the way he presented it hurts his case.

Butterwagon posted:

Yeah, I like Phillion's stuff most of the time but this video isn't really worth watching. Key points are summarized at the link in the video description if you want to save yourself an hour

https://gordongoner.com/

Pretty much. This video would have been more effective at 10-15 minutes long. I think he wanted to make the next Line Goes Up.

And again, the video ending with a call to buy another NFT... Leaves a bad taste.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 20, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1525243767313162240
remember this guy who called his wife a great baby maker but horrible investor.. the same guy who said to buy $LUNA while it was 4 cents? i guess he's back and his new plan is to... buy a bunch of celsius coin and squeeze the short sellers.

right now you basically cannot get any money out of celsius because they've frozen all transactions...

https://twitter.com/itsloganshippy/status/1538570484685611008

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Cacafuego posted:

This isn’t Danny Devito

I weighed my options and concluded that The Sopranos would resonate with more posters than Devito's performance as Bergman in David Mamet's film "Heist".

Also, today marks my 20th year of posting on these forums. In lieu of huzzahs, please just buy some bitcoin so my portfolio doesn't poo poo the bed. I'm about to lose my rear end!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

CoolCab posted:

accelerationists believe the final contradiction of capitalism will usher in some new world order post collapse (Marxist, anarchist, w/e), that people will rise up in revolt once the horrors of capitalism are laid bare, and as such efforts to dull or mitigate the negative outcomes of capitalism are counterproductive. there are imo some quite serious problems with this idea, but they're not nihilists

Capitalism is doomed to fail, ergo any half-measures to support 'ethical capitalism' or a mixed-economy are naive and simply stretching the pain out. Allow the system to fail and only support radical revolutionary social change.

It's not wacky nihilism like you say, it's actually a certain sense of progressive. The problem is it goes straight to assuming a mixed market and labour success is impossible despite a few practical cases of that. This in turn makes it super hard for them to sell their point and, in those cases where there is some balance, outright anti-labour because they necessarily have to make things worse to achieve their idealogical end goals.

The Euro welfare state is close to perfect and could probably get there with more iteration.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crypto began as a cargo cult, but at this point it's just a cult.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Desperate times

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1538694819299606528

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So that seems like something that's not going to look great with the SEC looking into them.

'Yeah, we just printed up a bunch of securities based on our own endorsement of what our collateral is worth, then used them to buy $2bn worth of another questionable financial instrument'.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Lmao this poo poo should be so illegal goddamn

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Crypto began as a cargo cult, but at this point it's just a cult.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Bitcoin is a cult.

:hmmyes:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Some great posts from a lot of people after I went to bed last night!

Klyith posted:

(Also, a question is, why do you think that it's important to know how & why it works? Bitcoin functions, even us in the critics side are totally willing to say that. All of the problems are separate from the technical aspects.)

To answer this specifically, because this is an event now. With all this bullshit finally collapsing, it's something that's on the news nearly daily. More people are talking about cryptocurrency now than they ever have. I chatted about it with my coworker the last week, with my landlord yesterday. Hell I could probably call up my Mum and she'll relay a story of someone she knew who got suckered into all of this.

I have less than zero interest in actually getting into cryptocurrency, but this is an event that people are going to be talking about for decades to come. I want to make sure I have a good foundational understanding of it all, for conversational purposes at the very least.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

So that seems like something that's not going to look great with the SEC looking into them.

'Yeah, we just printed up a bunch of securities based on our own endorsement of what our collateral is worth, then used them to buy $2bn worth of another questionable financial instrument'.

Feels like we've been hearing about supposed SEC enforcement on anything coming soon for years, I'm not holding my breath for understaffed US authorities to do anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Criss-cross posted:

Feels like we've been hearing about supposed SEC enforcement on anything coming soon for years, I'm not holding my breath for understaffed US authorities to do anything.

All it takes is for some rich failkid to lose enough of their pocket money on it and they'll come stomping right down. And then the lols will truly begin.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Beartaco posted:

What does it mean for something to be "backed" by a USD? What does it mean that there isn't really USD backing it?

They're using 18,000 this imaginary money to buy a bitcoin and pretending that's equal to 18,000 USD. By paying more with the imaginary money they are keeping the price of bitcoin higher. More of those imaginary moneys are being created to ensure that more "dollars" can be used to spend on bitcoin. Is that about correct?

I also have no idea what's going on with more generic stock terms like options and calls and shorts, but I won't pester the thread for finance 101 questions.

From a few pages back but please don't feel like you can't ask these questions. I don't know anything about finance and when people have asked questions about that stuff I've learned it a lot and find it fascinating. I don't wanna speak for everyone but it adds to the thread for sure I think.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All it takes is for some rich failkid to lose enough of their pocket money on it and they'll come stomping right down. And then the lols will truly begin.

They already have.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/coinfessions/status/1538491947781865475

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Oh please give me a drip that I can be connected to forever with this poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
mods namechange to popular female crypto influencer

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Being a crypto influencer must be a hard job: "Buy now! Now is the best time to buy! Never sell! Hodl! This is just a market fluctuation!"

There's never a time to tell people they shouldn't be buying more.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SRQ posted:

The Euro welfare state is close to perfect and could probably get there with more iteration.

Yeah uh our Boomers are iterating in the other direction these days. Welfare state for them, not for the rest of us.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I have less than zero interest in actually getting into cryptocurrency, but this is an event that people are going to be talking about for decades to come. I want to make sure I have a good foundational understanding of it all, for conversational purposes at the very least.
This. And the more you read up on the technical side of crypto and blockchains, the easier it is to shoot down the people who go "crypto is a failure, but I think blockchain technology might have a use".

No, no it doesn't. Any use case you can imagine for blockchains has other, better solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

feedmegin posted:

Yeah uh our Boomers are iterating in the other direction these days. Welfare state for them, not for the rest of us.

They're pulling that ladder right the gently caress up, and already been burning it to the ground rather than let brown people potentially enjoy any of it.