Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
I know its a little late, but something worth quantifying in the discussion about war elephants is the amount of food elephants need, since its a different order of magnitude than horses or oxen. Elephants are really big. The ACOUP link Koramei linked states that on the high end, an elephant can eat around 300 kilograms of food in a day. This means that keeping a force of just 50 elephants supplied for a three month campaign requires bringing along up to 1,500 tons of elephant food. With pre-modern transportation equipment, that's an enormous demand that has to provide enormous benefits in order to justify it on purely military grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elephants: the F-35s of the ancient world.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica
Elephants are another example of Sparta's general superiority. They were able defeat elephants on the field, but also lead them to victory. In terms of defeating elephants, Spartan reserves beat Pyrrhus and his pretender king; presumably the Epirote brought his elephants with him. In terms of leading elephants to victory, a small force of Spartans arrived in Carthage and saved the city; elephants formed an important part of the Spartan strategy.

Of course, it is more complex than that. Pyrrhus never saw a campaign he couldn't lose, so perhaps Sparta was never in any real danger. On the other hand, in saving Carthage they defeated Rome in a major battle, which really does show that the old world, even in a late and degenerate state, was still superior to the new.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CommonShore posted:

Early firearms just aren't that useful against cavalry, especially against highly mobile targets like steppe nomads. They're heavy and inaccurate, and slow to reload. They're an anti-infantry weapon used for firing into dense formations and or at closer ranges.

As a bit of a counter point, the first battle in the world between two gunpowder armies, Kaifeng 1232, was between two northern steppe societies, the Mongols and the Jurchen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Benagain posted:

What was that seige defense weapon that was basically a firework on the end of a pole? Something you could reliably give to conscripts and increase their effectiveness without getting too complicated
It wasn't just a siege defense weapon but you are likely thinking of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysorean_rockets

and their more famous version once the British ripped them off,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreve_rocket

The Congreve rockets were the origin of "the rocket's red glare" in the Star Spangled Banner! :911:

Reading about the tactics reminds me about Stalin's Organ during WW2, but I suppose the same principles applied.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Parmenides posted:

Elephants are another example of Sparta's general superiority. They were able defeat elephants on the field, but also lead them to victory. In terms of defeating elephants, Spartan reserves beat Pyrrhus and his pretender king; presumably the Epirote brought his elephants with him. In terms of leading elephants to victory, a small force of Spartans arrived in Carthage and saved the city; elephants formed an important part of the Spartan strategy.

Of course, it is more complex than that. Pyrrhus never saw a campaign he couldn't lose, so perhaps Sparta was never in any real danger. On the other hand, in saving Carthage they defeated Rome in a major battle, which really does show that the old world, even in a late and degenerate state, was still superior to the new.

OK, who let :agesilaus: out of his shame cube?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CrypticFox posted:

I know its a little late, but something worth quantifying in the discussion about war elephants is the amount of food elephants need, since its a different order of magnitude than horses or oxen. Elephants are really big. The ACOUP link Koramei linked states that on the high end, an elephant can eat around 300 kilograms of food in a day. This means that keeping a force of just 50 elephants supplied for a three month campaign requires bringing along up to 1,500 tons of elephant food. With pre-modern transportation equipment, that's an enormous demand that has to provide enormous benefits in order to justify it on purely military grounds.

no one brought anyone enough food for three months

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I believe the modern euphemism is "supply foraging."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"Devolved arms-assisted resupply"

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://twitter.com/weilghost/status/1538258041316982785?s=21&t=oKV0_efnxhqnG9bslarXyA

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I kind of hate how it checks out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

tag urself i'm egypt

Strategic Tea posted:

"Devolved arms-assisted resupply"

Imagining the 8th-dimensional DoD powerpoint slide for "steal poo poo"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you!

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

ChubbyChecker posted:

no one brought anyone enough food for three months

It was more just a way of showing how much food they would need for even a short campaign. You won't be carrying that all at once, but you'll still need to come up with that much food and move it to the elephants. However you slice it, it's a massive logistical burden.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CrypticFox posted:

It was more just a way of showing how much food they would need for even a short campaign. You won't be carrying that all at once, but you'll still need to come up with that much food and move it to the elephants. However you slice it, it's a massive logistical burden.

elephants have legs and can move themselves to the food

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

sometimes anyway

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There wasn't enough forage for a horse cavalry army to feed itself on the move in most places, Roman records have specific listings for the rations they needed to bring to supply horses in their armies. If legionary logistics had to plan and supply horses with food I'm going to guess there wasn't enough forage around for elephants.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This raises the question of how tf did forces with much worse logistics than Rome feed their elephants?

Unrelated q: how did romans shave? Especially the lower class who wouldn't have a slave barber. It's Rome so if you told me it was Antonius's slaves down at the ole Greatus Clippicus and he bought ad space in the forum, yeah ok.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This raises the question of how tf did forces with much worse logistics than Rome feed their elephants?

Unrelated q: how did romans shave? Especially the lower class who wouldn't have a slave barber. It's Rome so if you told me it was Antonius's slaves down at the ole Greatus Clippicus and he bought ad space in the forum, yeah ok.

the upper class has their beards plucked out by slaves. i do not know about lower class romans, but i imagine keeping a very close cropped beard would be a lot easier and cheaper than shaving back then, but i also would suspect it was not THAT hard to get razor sharp stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It is worth noting that barbers have been around for thousands of years. Rome almost certainly has places where someone could pay to get shaved. Wealthy people had their beards plucked as a status symbol.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

ChubbyChecker posted:

War elephants as well as the big warhorses of settled societies that were strong enough to support armored soldiers need far, far more food than they can manage through grazing. This is actually another of the advantages steppe nomads had -- their style of warfare allowed them to use smaller horses that could support themselves entirely through grazing.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

There wasn't enough forage for a horse cavalry army to feed itself on the move in most places, Roman records have specific listings for the rations they needed to bring to supply horses in their armies. If legionary logistics had to plan and supply horses with food I'm going to guess there wasn't enough forage around for elephants.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Elephants can eat a wider variety of plant material than horses, eg. shrubs, tree leaves, bark, roots, and smaller branches. No war elephant having army could have carried enough food for their elephants for any longer marches (unless they just had just a few elephants for show), and that's one of the reasons why they kept dying like flies. A certain percentage of horses die and tanks break for each mile, but the war elephants are much worse.

Romans shaved with razors, and they were of different shapes. Diocletian's Price Edict has the price of a barber listed as max 2dc/client, and an untrained laborer earned 25dc plus upkeep a day.

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 20, 2022

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

eke out posted:

may've been me

This was it, thanks!

Also interesting, thank you.

🙏

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is worth noting that barbers have been around for thousands of years. Rome almost certainly has places where someone could pay to get shaved. Wealthy people had their beards plucked as a status symbol.

yeah i just was wondering about a commoner. i know razors existed and whatnot but i could see them being too expensive for their worth to people in the inuslae or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah i just was wondering about a commoner. i know razors existed and whatnot but i could see them being too expensive for their worth to people in the inuslae or something.

All you need to shave is something sharp. People have been shaving for a long time with sharp bits of glass, rock, and metal. It isn't an exceptional thing.

A quick googling indicates that there was a thriving barber industry in Rome, and there's no reason to think that it would be exclusive to the upper class.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ancient people were not just using straight razors, they had scissors and other hair-care tools. i wouldn't be surprised if a roman barber's toolkit looked more or less identical to a modern one

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jazerus posted:

ancient people were not just using straight razors, they had scissors and other hair-care tools. i wouldn't be surprised if a roman barber's toolkit looked more or less identical to a modern one

their blades looked quite different

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChubbyChecker posted:

their blades looked quite different
Did they use bronze or iron?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nessus posted:

Did they use bronze or iron?

both, and even some of the bronze ones looked like the ones that are still used, but some looked more like knuckle dusters, or like letter J

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Parmenides posted:

My friend posted this yesterday and it seems too perfectly timed for me to not share it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kaal posted:

My friend posted this yesterday and it seems too perfectly timed for me to not share it.

lmao hell yeah

Mr. Nice! posted:

All you need to shave is something sharp. People have been shaving for a long time with sharp bits of glass, rock, and metal. It isn't an exceptional thing.

A quick googling indicates that there was a thriving barber industry in Rome, and there's no reason to think that it would be exclusive to the upper class.

I am genuinely too scared to try and look up a video of somebody shaving with knapped flint.

Wasn't able to find a Roman barber's kit from cursory grooming but was able to find an Egyptian one:

Kind of fun how the razor is also quite obviously similar to Egyptian axes.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Feeding elephants wasn't impossible, it's just a huge task. Armies were really good at foraging for food and animal fodder, and if an area hasn't been picked over by another army, coming up with 300 kg/day/elephant in fodder is a totally doable task. There's a big opportunity cost to doing this though. Roman rations gave each horse 7 kilograms a day of food, so for every elephant you decide to feed, that's 30-40 horses you didn't feed. Roman commanders generally decided that 30-40 horses were a better use of resources, but if you decide the elephant is a better bet and plan accordingly you can provide it with food.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jazerus posted:

I realize that. I was just breaking the task down to its most basic component. There’s no reason to think “lack of sharp objects” kept barbers from being a thing. That was my point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tulip posted:

lmao hell yeah

I am genuinely too scared to try and look up a video of somebody shaving with knapped flint.

Wasn't able to find a Roman barber's kit from cursory grooming but was able to find an Egyptian one:

Kind of fun how the razor is also quite obviously similar to Egyptian axes.

I just looked and there are lots of people shaving with stone or obsidian on youtube. No need to be afraid to look!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kaal posted:

What the hell is Athens doing up there? They lost the war, they just wrote enough poo poo down to have a greater legacy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

What the hell is Athens doing up there? They lost the war, they just wrote enough poo poo down to have a greater legacy.

and the macedonian empire existed for about five minutes but what are you gonna do

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah but Alexander was a GOAT so ya gotta put them in

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And some Romans snuck in there somehow. But the larger point stands.

Replace the Romans with the Baktrians, imo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Athens is great right up until politics interferes with its war strategies. All they had to do was stay in the fort and troll the coastline. For loving that up I'm unable to think of them as that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I feel like you could probably try to include Greece in there somewhere.