Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I really want that Traffic Violator sticker as a sew on patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Late but I took the kiddo down for a pool and pizza party today and got to see the car.

Not sure if the storage sucked or the prep/paint from when it was restored was lacking but the finish is pretty roached.

The top and interior being in good shape lead me to belive it was prep/paint that caused all the rust. None of the rust is bad enough that any panels will need to be replaced the car will just need a new paint job.

Also found service manuals and the drive shaft and several parts in the back seat.

Love the Safety First text above the speedometer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's in fabulous condition!

#000 steel wool on the trim. Sand off the worst of the rust, treat & clear-coat it. It'll be fine until you can save the money to get it properly stripped & painted, which could be north of $15K these days.

The interior: drat. complete & clean.

That engine looks rebuilt; if it's not: drat.

If it hasn't been run in years, I would prime it with oil before trying to start it - oil in the cylinders, and see if there's a method to spin the oil pump without spinning the crank (on Chryslers, for example, the oil pump was driven off of the distributor driveshaft - you could remove the distributor & shaft, fashion a keyed rod that fit into the socket at the pump, and spin it with a drill).

What a score.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Thats truly a score - I'd probably sell a car or two to get something like that.

something else I was thinking about obliterating my 401k for...

I'll write more later.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey pal, they just added a 32 roadster to Gran Turismo... And obviously I'd like to tribute yours in the game. Is there a svg or any other design file of this cat on the side?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
no.... yes..... dm me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ok, want to see that. Folks do some incredible paint jobs on video game cars, which is a all the more amazing given how they have to make the decals out of various primitives, using game controllers.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I really want to see that as well!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Sent off the car graphics, cant wait to see another car of mine in a video game.

so...

a few weeks ago was the famous LA roadster show and swap -

this thing really tightened my pants, much to the shigrin of my hot rod friends - they wanted 35k for this thing. It was very rough, the other side of it had a giant chunk missing out of the door, it had a full interior in it and the floor felt crunchy. Last registered in 71 - classic story of something broke, got parked and forgotten about.

its a 53 skylark - the buick offering to the GM dream cars of 53, low volume, high cost cars that showcased a bunch of new crap they were working on in the mid 50s.

custom bodied, new high powered v8 and a cool new version of the dynaflow

olds offered the Holiday convertible which again, is a custom bodied car, very beautiful, super low volume, IIRC around 1000 in total

caddy offered the Eldorado - the first, curved windshield, ac standard and a bunch of other cool stuff

And...

Chevy offered their new sports car, the corvette.

In the early 2000s boomers finally had the empty nest and money burning a hole in their pocket - these were easily a 6 figure car, all day. Now with the boomers on the chopping block, the values of these cars has dropped. You can get a presentable (maybe not expertly restored) for around 50-60, this car at 35, needing what it needs, in no way would be cost effective. After some harsh anti buick sentiment among my friends, I realized that maybe I shouldn't dump my 401k just yet. Realistically, if the car was in slightly better shape, it would be plausible to get the thing running and driving for not a whole lot of money ~2-3k? - but the rust is a killer (i know, but at least the 42 has common more body parts and I paid essentially nothing for it) - the worst part of this thing is that no body parts were shared on common buicks in 53 - the passenger door was completely rotted out and about 6 inches of the bottom of it was straight gone - this is common on sitters because the automatic windows were hydraulic, and when they leak, the bottoms of the door get taken out. I dealt with a 49 cad with the same issue.

I got the guys number - if I'm feeling masocistic, I may call and just see...

in other news...

I broke the roadster - according to the elders, I got very lucky this pulley, that once was located on the crank, could have launched thru my hood or radiator... and apparently its a common thing. lovely part is that you have to basically pull the engine, or at least lift it up past the front xmember to replace it. I'm going to buy the more expensive one so it doesnt break again, but I doubt I'm going to have time to do an engine out on this thing anytime soon.

So looks like its rusty wagon summer for me. but the mighty dynaflow has sprung a leak, in addition to destroying my driveway and leaving tracks of trans fluid until the leak seals up, it runs and drives fine, I've just been keeping an eye on the fluid level.

the 48 needs tires, brake work and probably by now the transmission has leaked out.

UGH.

In other news, I took a business trip to Phoenix, but it really felt like hell

I saw this cool abandoned air strip from the air:

found treasure burried under a big w

and went to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosanti

I'm super fuckin busy, but I spent a bit of time rehabbing my vespa - stupid idea: Ride this thing to work to save money....

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 27, 2022

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Speaking of 50s GM dreamcars...

Usually anything rare in Chicagoland rusted away years ago or is locked up tight in a museum.

But someone in the area owns a 57 or 58 Eldorado Brougham and drives it to just about every large car show within a 2 hour radius.

I usually end up grabbing shots each time I see it.

That stainless roof is one of the most eye-catching things I have ever seen on a car.

Then I googled it and realized
1. They are super rare
2. They are never going to be in my budget 🙃

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/10/06/a-dream-realized-with-a-rare-example-of-gms-ultimate-in-1950s-luxury

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

LobsterboyX posted:

Sent off the car graphics, cant wait to see another car of mine in a video game.

I mostly lurk AI, but seeing new stuff in your thread's always a treat. Anyway:

This should be the link

Some pretty neat places in scapes.

Tragically, there wasn't an option for whitewalls, and I sorta eyeballed the positioning for the markings; but I think it came out pretty alright. And it's editable, for whoever else has gt7 and wants to fiddle with it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cool!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thank you so much Zeno. It really came out! It wasn't until your post I realized they're not the same. I can't say I have much of an eye for the differences in roadsters.

Now I'm gonna go hoon around in it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
alright, thats pretty humbling.

knowing that I haven't played vidja games since LA noire, whats the cheapest/best way I can play this?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There's a PS4 version!

Edit: it's just so fun to cosplay.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 28, 2022

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

StormDrain posted:

There's a PS4 version!

Edit: it's just so fun to cosplay.

this one could be recreated - I've driven the car on that very street.

My knowledge about these cars kinda pisses me off, in a simpsons comic book guy kind of way. Whatever car they used to model this one in the game has a very rare accessory grill shell insert called a "winter front" made by the Pines company.

They had a characteristic thick slat right down the middle, and louvers that were thermostatically controlled to keep the engine warm in the winter months.

the stock 32 grill insert looks like this:

It pisses me off because I literally cant watch period movies without spotting flaws with the picture cars. radial tires, billet, streetroddy stuff, redone interiors... its a curse.

Anyway, I'm really trying to figure out how to play this.. The rock I live under is pretty nice, so do these games still come on a cd or physical thing? or is it all online? if I bought a PS4, and somehow got this game, what would it cost me to play this car that you guys created?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A used ps4 looks to be about $300 and the game (on a disc) is $60.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/gran-turismo-7-launch-edition---playstation-4/330728.html

To race online you need a Playstation plus membership which is about $60 a year.

The car is included in the newest free update, you just have to earn enough racing in game to afford it. It'll set you back 450k credits which is a lot but you can earn it pretty quick.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

this one could be recreated - I've driven the car on that very street.

My knowledge about these cars kinda pisses me off, in a simpsons comic book guy kind of way. Whatever car they used to model this one in the game has a very rare accessory grill shell insert called a "winter front" made by the Pines company.

They had a characteristic thick slat right down the middle, and louvers that were thermostatically controlled to keep the engine warm in the winter months.

the stock 32 grill insert looks like this:

It pisses me off because I literally cant watch period movies without spotting flaws with the picture cars. radial tires, billet, streetroddy stuff, redone interiors... its a curse.

Anyway, I'm really trying to figure out how to play this.. The rock I live under is pretty nice, so do these games still come on a cd or physical thing? or is it all online? if I bought a PS4, and somehow got this game, what would it cost me to play this car that you guys created?

That's actually entirely on me. The grille that's currently on the car is the single physical modification you can make to the car, besides changing the headlight temperature. That the optional grille is a real thing is a pretty fantastic little detail, kinda like the few cars that have "official" widebody kits. To be honest I just picked it because it looked neat, then forgot I'd switched it when I was putting the stickers on.

This is what it looks like out the box (and it's easy enough to switch back once you download the thing). You can kinda see the lower slat behind that crossbar (it's not my picture or I would've sensibly moved the camera so you can see).

As for getting the game, stormdrain's got the right of it. Only thing I'd add is that if you play it on a ps4 pro the game's in 4k(although not "true 4k," if that matters to you), vs 1080 on a regular/slim ps4. You also get slightly better load times. I will say it looks quite nice, even on my terrible 720p tv, the console just happily downscales it.

Surprisingly, all the upset people shouting about it not being the game they imagined in their head didn't really tank the resale value, so you aren't going to save much by buying a used copy, but you can get it digitally or on disk.

It'll probably take a few hours to unlock the place to buy the car, but by then you should probably be close enough to being able to afford it. The only snag is that it's in a rotating pool of cars, so if it rotates out before you can grab it you'll have to wait a while for it to roll back in.

Also you don't need ps+ to just download/upload/make liveries, it's just for the online racing. But the game itself does require an internet connection, for reasons.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Interesting! Someone told me that they actually modeled the car after some famous early rod..

is the engine an option? looks like there's a hemi clipping thru those hoodsides.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I don't know about famous, but it's in the Henry Ford Collection, so there's that.

From the collection: posted:

Make & Model: 1932 Ford roadster
Maker: Dick Smith, Phoenix, Arizona, using a Ford body, Chrysler engine, Packard transmission, and Studebaker, Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge parts
Engine: V-8 Hemi, overhead valves, 331 cubic inches

Good eye on the hemi. There are engine swaps in the game, but only from specific cars to specific cars. As far as I know you can't swap something else in this, unfortunately (there's even a nice mustang engine you can use as a swap, but only to a mach 1, I think).

I guess being a mass of parts from whatever's laying around makes it very much a sort of platonic ideal of a hot-rod, but it is a bit disappointing you can't really go nuts and make your own franken-car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Zenostein posted:

I don't know about famous, but it's in the Henry Ford Collection, so there's that.

Good eye on the hemi. There are engine swaps in the game, but only from specific cars to specific cars. As far as I know you can't swap something else in this, unfortunately (there's even a nice mustang engine you can use as a swap, but only to a mach 1, I think).

I guess being a mass of parts from whatever's laying around makes it very much a sort of platonic ideal of a hot-rod, but it is a bit disappointing you can't really go nuts and make your own franken-car.

Ooooooh, so the Hemi isn't clipping through the hood - the actual car is built that way, with some lovely form-fitting cutouts. Neat!

And yeah, GT, even back in 4 and 5 that I have, allowed engine swaps, but only specific ones. Stuff like an R-32 GT-R engine and AWD drivetrain in the '70 Skyline GTR, or a Mazda 20B in the second-generation RX-7, but no V8 (sacrilege!) Forza Horizon allows a little more hoonery. I have a Crown Vic with a supercharged Cobra engine, and a Holden FJ pickup with, I think it's a twin turbo big-block Ford? It does nothing but spin the rear tires endlessly, anyway. Incredibly stupid, but it drifts well if you set up the suspension correctly (I haven't...)
I want to say there's a '32 in Forza Horizon 4.
You'd need an Xbox One for that. They also have Hot Wheels licenses, so you can get some of the real-life Hot Wheels that Mattel has had built, among a *lot* of things. And race on orange track, if you want. Forza Horizon is great arcade-style racing, and you can just cruise around the open world if that's what you want to do. It has Barn Finds, so you get a rumour and general location, and have to go bouncing off into the bush (literally in FH4 - it's set in Aus.) to find the cars, and then have them restored. One fo the cars is a 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT. Yeah, *that* Ford Falcon, and yes there is a body kit for it that includes a Monza front end, roof spoiler, and a very specific supercharger poking through the hood. That one over there in my avatar.

There is a '32 Ford in FH, from Forza Horizon 3, but is a Deluxe Coupe, V8. Only roof option is to chop the top, no roadster. :(
It can, however, be made AWD, fitted with a 5.2 or 6.2L V8, and twin-turbocharged, or supercharged.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 29, 2022

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

It can, however, be made AWD, fitted with a 5.2 or 6.2L V8, and twin-turbocharged, or supercharged.

And you can do all that and leave the stock tires on. It was my favorite way to break the "performance rating" or whatever it was called in that game.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
UGH - I'm in a mega crunch time for work, but working from home throughout this - shockingly my 68 year old station wagon gets better gas milage than my land cruiser, so I've vowed to myself that I would try and save a bit of money while I dont have to commute..

Jokes on me:

I was on the freeway coming home from a 4th car show and all of a sudden I heard a clang and my steering got heavy - temp and amp gauge stayed normal so I knew right away I had lost my belt

sho nuff.

thankfully I had my helper on hand to get it changed out quick.

today I had to skirt down to the santa monica pier to do some markout and I got down there very early with no drama.

as I took this, a mumbling homeless man, just out of frame to the left was also painting the wall with his feces, whilst maintaining extremely uncomfortable eye contact with me... the whole time.

come to la!

markouts!

I came home and stopped at the donut shop to get the family some breakfast, and when I came out and put everything in the back seat, i closed the door and this trim fell off in my hand:

luckly I didn't lose it on the freeway

when I got home I re-jiggered these clips and made them work again, but my trust in them is not there anymore, another side quest has presented itself.

between calls I've been slipping outside to put hands on the roadster in hopes I could get it back on the road

I had put this cool old hose clamp on the top, for funsies, I decided to look up the numbers on this thing, turns out they're aerospace from the early 50s. - now if I could just find the 5 more I need to make it all look complete.

got the radiator and shell off without too much drama, exposing the raw power of this beast

this is what awaited me:

a quick consultation to the model a manual netted me a new side quest, find a 1 3/8" shallow socket - it cant be a deep socket because it wont clear the cross member - As it stood I had to undo the front motor mounts (say a prayer for me that I can get it back together without much drama.)

I tried a few methods to avoid buying a socket for 1 application, I tried the old pipe wrench, but even with the car in gear and the wheels chalked, there was still too much flex to get a bite on it.

I found this at a advance auto parts but take note that its a 3/4" drive

perfect! now I just need a 3/4 drive adapter - harbor freight has those

the persuader is born.. I grabed the "swivel" extensions as well! I that giant bolt didn't stand a chance, and was off in less than 5 seconds.

ok now we figure out how to get the broken pulley off -

wait.. why did this just come off in my hand?

gently caress. its an ancient 2 piece pulley.

so.. lets just say this isnt made anymore. the only thing comprable is this: https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A6312A.html

now, I have 2 options... try and figure out how to pull this off - which I really dont know how to go about getting a grab on it.. or attempt to find a non broken vintage 2 piece pulley part.

if I did succeed on getting it off, this is the new part:

aftermarket, will never break, no muss no fuss, perfectly balanced

I really dont feel like taking the entire front of the engine apart to get this pulley off, and as a buick man, this is infuriating.

in other news, these weird things keep showing up all over my house.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 6, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I did a little digging, and it seems that that inner sleeve should come off fairly easily, you may need to spray some penetrant in there & let it sit.

This guy had the same pulley issue you did but caught it before the pulley blew apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWQxzpakTg

e: if you're discarding that inner sleeve, put the vise-grips on it & wiggle

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

I did a little digging, and it seems that that inner sleeve should come off fairly easily, you may need to spray some penetrant in there & let it sit.

This guy had the same pulley issue you did but caught it before the pulley blew apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWQxzpakTg

e: if you're discarding that inner sleeve, put the vise-grips on it & wiggle

When you posted this, I had literally just got it off.

It wasn't as easy as wiggling it off, it took less than 3 seconds of map gas to get it to move, when it did it just slipped right off.

the next part was probably the most infuriating.

at this point the front motor mount was completely detached from the motor, the rear motor mounts were also undone and the transmission mount bolts were also loose, the front wheels were off the ground, the whole car was supported by the jack..

I even jumped up and down on the frame horns to try and make a bit more room for this thing to slip in but nothing was working -

the thing in the way is the front spring u bolt mounts and the support for the hand crank, undoing is no big deal, but re-seating it it is a PITA, so I bit the bullet and did it, a buddy came over and gave me a hand, at 930 at night. so then we put it all back together minus belt:

The new pulley is smaller for... reasons...

quote:

In the 1930’s George Riley, the famous race engine designer, discovered that stock Model "A" water pumps would spin too fast for the best rate of cooling at higher engine RPMs, like normal traffic today.

If you drive fast you'll need this important part . . .

If you race, this is the one that won't explode from centrifugal force.

https://i.imgur.com/ksG0n79.mp4

I need to staple this to my forehead - the above image is a video, whats the correct bbcode?

anyway, if you see the video, for the first time the crank pulley is running very very nice and concentric.. so much so that the alternator doesn't move a bit. the casting for the lower alternator mount on these things is in the block, mine is wallowed out after many years, so no matter how tight you make it, it still has a bit of play. I also noted quite a bit less vibration at idle after sitting in the car for a minute.

I didn't have time for a test drive, so it will have to wait until next week.

and now, what happened:

https://i.imgur.com/4DA2hcR.mp4

damit another video that doesnt work

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 10, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

When you posted this, I had literally just got it off.

It wasn't as easy as wiggling it off, it took less than 3 seconds of map gas to get it to move, when it did it just slipped right off.

the next part was probably the most infuriating.

at this point the front motor mount was completely detached from the motor, the rear motor mounts were also undone and the transmission mount bolts were also loose, the front wheels were off the ground, the whole car was supported by the jack..

I even jumped up and down on the frame horns to try and make a bit more room for this thing to slip in but nothing was working -

the thing in the way is the front spring u bolt mounts and the support for the hand crank, undoing is no big deal, but re-seating it it is a PITA, so I bit the bullet and did it, a buddy came over and gave me a hand, at 930 at night. so then we put it all back together minus belt:

The new pulley is smaller for... reasons...

https://i.imgur.com/ksG0n79l.mp4

I need to staple this to my forehead - the above image is a video, whats the correct bbcode?

anyway, if you see the video, for the first time the crank pulley is running very very nice and concentric.. so much so that the alternator doesn't move a bit. the casting for the lower alternator mount on these things is in the block, mine is wallowed out after many years, so no matter how tight you make it, it still has a bit of play. I also noted quite a bit less vibration at idle after sitting in the car for a minute.

I didn't have time for a test drive, so it will have to wait until next week.

and now, what happened:

https://i.imgur.com/4DA2hcRl.mp4

damit another video that doesnt work

dont use image tags for video links, just url tags. the forums software will turn that into an embed

e: although... now that i say that, it doesn't seem to work. it looks like they're just still images on imgur?? man idk

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 10, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Urk

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The forum doesn't like mp4. Lemme check.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Edit, I saw the video anyway. What a break!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So normally for mp4s you use url tags but there was some link fuckery. It's fixed now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

So normally for mp4s you use url tags but there was some link fuckery. It's fixed now.

oh christ, i see what happened. he used the size-modifying letter at the end that works for images, so it turned everything into an image. i could not figure that poo poo out last night, good work man

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Astral told me how to fix it. Astral is an excellent tech weenie.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
so use url tag at original size is the fix?

https://i.imgur.com/W2BArgE.mp4

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

so use url tag at original size is the fix?

https://i.imgur.com/W2BArgE.mp4

yes, looks good!

the size modifiers appear to only work on still images (and turn videos into stills if you use them).

man, someday i need to get me a real hot rod, instead of this modern (post-war, lol) muscle car poo poo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'd like to at least drive a traditional early rod, for the experience.
Closest I've come is a... crud, I can't remember what my great uncle's sedan was. Definitely a sedan, I *think* Ford. Pre fat fender, and I think vertical grill, so early '30s, should be. Stock, mohair seats. Pretty cool.
I wouldn't mind owning an early car, just that times it could be enjoyed may be limited in Texas due to the heat.
Heck I posted in the awesome thread some time ago (like 2019) a Model T I spotted at Home Depot. Upgraded electrics, late model with electric start, and Wilwood hydro disk brakes only on the rear. It was definitely a driver given the chips and bugs on the front, and speaking with he owner (he and his wife came out of the store while I was still ogling the car,) he confirmed that it was. So neat.

edit: thanks for figuring out the Imgur video trick. I will attempt to remember that for my thread. Up until now it required clicking through to Imgur to make them play.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'd like to at least drive a traditional early rod, for the experience.
Closest I've come is a... crud, I can't remember what my great uncle's sedan was. Definitely a sedan, I *think* Ford. Pre fat fender, and I think vertical grill, so early '30s, should be. Stock, mohair seats. Pretty cool.
I wouldn't mind owning an early car, just that times it could be enjoyed may be limited in Texas due to the heat.
Heck I posted in the awesome thread some time ago (like 2019) a Model T I spotted at Home Depot. Upgraded electrics, late model with electric start, and Wilwood hydro disk brakes only on the rear. It was definitely a driver given the chips and bugs on the front, and speaking with he owner (he and his wife came out of the store while I was still ogling the car,) he confirmed that it was. So neat.

edit: thanks for figuring out the Imgur video trick. I will attempt to remember that for my thread. Up until now it required clicking through to Imgur to make them play.

There's so many levels to it, its kinda weird.

The first model A I drove was my buddys and it was very stock, very dustbowl, very raw. I always knew about them, but I never looked in to them because I was always under the impression that roadsters were really expensive. This was 7-8 years ago now, and once I started really looking harder at them, I realized that 28-31 model a is really the poorman's 32, and that you could (back then) get a running, driving example for under 10k - that really greenlit it for me.

I think the most important takeaway with these cars is the fact that anything you do to it, I mean anything, is going to improve it. There's so much info on these cars, there's really not much you can do to them that hasn't already been done. They made millions of these things, and now

My car is so far removed from stock form, but at its core it still is - when you get hydraulic brakes on it, it changes it so much, when you add a distributor that has a self advancing mechanism on it, it wakes it up - if you put a modern, by modern I mean from the 40s, carb on it it makes it drive so much better... you can go on and on and on, and at the end of the day they are so modular, its funny.

you hear of car architecture, like this new GM ev platform that everyones stroking about, it is so far from nothing new... the platform of these cars is pretty interchangeable from the late 20s to almost the 40s.

at the dawn of auto, innovations were so quick that it almost had to be retroactive, starting from 0 and going to 1 feels a lot different than going from 1000 to 1001 - in other words, if you do something that adds a bit of power or modernity, you're going to feel it in a big way. Modern highway speeds are kinda a goal, and while I can get my car up on the highway, its really pushing it to its limits.

I struck a deal with my wife that I am going to get my quick change ordered! so that will change things quite a bit!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I hear you. Change back then wasn't incremental - it was wholesale leaps.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

There's so many levels to it, its kinda weird.

The first model A I drove was my buddys and it was very stock, very dustbowl, very raw. I always knew about them, but I never looked in to them because I was always under the impression that roadsters were really expensive. This was 7-8 years ago now, and once I started really looking harder at them, I realized that 28-31 model a is really the poorman's 32, and that you could (back then) get a running, driving example for under 10k - that really greenlit it for me.

Man Ive been looking a lot recently and there are still some deals out there. My fathers been in the game for over 50 years and is jaded about lots of things and has done and owned just about everything, so a lot of cars id never even considered. now that im more into it, and seeing what guys are out here really driving and putting mileage on, it just keeps opening up! not everything needs to have an m2/clip job done and small block chevy under the hood to even be considered...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love seeing inline sixes & column shifters on 60s iron that typically have big blocks stuffed in them - the bigger the better.

I had a '65 Fury convertible with a 383 & Torqueflite in the mid-80s. Used to go to Friendship Auto Salvage in Tabernacle, NJ for parts. I took the (much larger & beefier) brake drum sets off of a '65 Fury station wagon that, based on the bumper stickers, was a base vehicle from Ft. Dix. Thing had a 225 slant six in it.

always be closing posted:

Man Ive been looking a lot recently and there are still some deals out there. ...

This reminds me: once in a while I put a random search in for my '65 Econoline to see what pops up. Today, I found one that appeared to be a frame-off restoration with aftermarket A/C, just a perfect concours restoration. Ad said it was $6500.

I go to the site & see a ton of cars listed at anywhere from half to a tenth of their value. I assume that this is some kind of honeypot scam thing - I'll send the link to whomever wants to see it - below is a Scam Detector rating - but I can't get what the angle is, unless it's a deposit/rugpull thing.

https://www.scam-detector.com/validator/automotive4sale-com-review/

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

feh. DP.

Have some bees from my salvage yard trip last Saturday. Has sound; you can hear the hum coming out of the filler neck.

https://i.imgur.com/OIUij2y.mp4

I've been brushing by this tow truck to get in & out of the area where the Econoline vans are. Never saw this, think they're new this year.

That other sound is me nearly tripping over a hood as I'm backing up.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 19, 2022