Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GrunkleStalin posted:

Tbf, soldiers will destroy anything they can get a hold of so letting them have access to only the parts needed to clean/field service the weapon makes sense.

That’s kind of undercut by giving them two kids of lubricant though, one of which will seriously damage the weapon if used in place of the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s kind of undercut by giving them two kids of lubricant though, one of which will seriously damage the weapon if used in place of the other.

rate of profit tends to fall, hence self-destructing rifles

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Filthy Hans posted:

apparently the same is true of the M-17, the regular Sig 320 it's based off of can be stripped by the owner but the military version has special bolts that can only be loosened with special tools so you can't get further than removing the slide without access to said tools

so, "a feature not a bug"

It's the M16A1 all over again eh.

At least they waited until Afghanistan was over so we didn't repeat the M16 while repeating Vietnam.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

$4 a bullet seems to be a revolutionary innovation for Sig Sauer shareholders though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://www.ammoman.com/50-bmg-lake-city-660-grain-fmj-m33-r042320206185-50-rounds
Good .50 BMG ammo goes for about $3.50 per round

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Goast posted:

did they really name it the loving panther lmao

like, i get they love their nazi era cat nicknames for tanks but at least pick one that hasn't been used

i always wonder how people never noticed that the original leopard 2 was basically just a tiger with its dumb square turret

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Senate Defense Authorization Bill Halts Half of Navy’s Planned Ship Retirements

House Appropriators Want Navy to Save 5 Littoral Combat Ships From Decommissioning

quote:

The bill “directs a report on alternate uses of these vessels, such as missions in the [U.S. Southern Command] and [U.S. Africa Command] areas of responsibility; and permits the decommissioning of four ships, which would also allow the Navy and the Defense Security Cooperation Agency to explore the possibility of transferring them to partner nations,” according to a summary from the committee.

Looks like the US Congress will force the USN to keep the LCS among others.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Guess we're keeping the rusting grift buckets after all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they should make an electric boat thats powerd by corroding its own hull

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what if they just made the whole boat out of black boxes corrosion

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

what if they just made the whole boat out of black boxes corrosion

wood?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

razorscooter posted:

i always wonder how people never noticed that the original leopard 2 was basically just a tiger with its dumb square turret

if it doesn't have a swastika on it then it can't possibly have anything to do with the third reich :downsa:

much like the people who ended up running west germany and its military industrial complex after the war, who I'm sure definitely couldn't be nazis because all the nazis mysteriously vanished after nuremburg

Renaissance Robot has issued a correction as of 12:42 on Jun 18, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SilingWu/status/1538275578427613186

pla exercise with cool gadgets and drones

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah its the same reasoning we keep building tanks despite the army not wanting anymore of them than we have already, politicians just want to keep milking that MIC cashcow on behalf of defense contractors.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In comparison to sport parachutes, military parachutes have very little maneuverability. The 82nd Airborne use two models, the MC1-1B with vents controlled by toggle lines that allow 360 degree turns and some forward motion, and the unvented T10, which can only be directed to a small degree "by spilling air out one side of the canopy or the other." "Airborne students make two jumps with [the MC1-1B] parachute, but they are not likely to use it much after that. Almost everyone in the 82nd jumps with the good old T10" (Halberstadt 1988:125-126). I was told the use of the less maneuverable T10 was considered the best method of minimizing mid-air collisions, although it obviously puts severe limitations on the paratrooper's ability to pick the landing spot.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

fancy new bullets mean someone gets to wet their beak

I’m reminded of how apple invented the lovely lightning cable that slips out with the slightest bit of movement or a spec of dust in the contacts just so they could sell their own proprietary cable.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lightning was way fuckin better than bullshit micro usb

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i think usb c would be better if it wasn't a common physical connector with competing protocols(?), each supporting some mystery subset of features.

president xi, my people yearn for freedom. please force a consolidation of the usb4 spec

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
USB-C

the C stands for "cucked by USB"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I’m reminded of how apple invented the lovely lightning cable that slips out with the slightest bit of movement or a spec of dust in the contacts just so they could sell their own proprietary cable.

exhibit A in the European Union's announcement about standardized data and power ports starting in a couple years

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

meh

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

it's like that scene in True Detective where that trailer park meth lab gets raided

except not as good because the Chinese director didn't shoot it all in one take

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Filthy Hans posted:

it's like that scene in True Detective where that trailer park meth lab gets raided

except not as good because the Chinese director didn't shoot it all in one take

It was actually in a ghetto housing complex and it was the white supremacist that he was undercover with

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It was actually in a ghetto housing complex and it was the white supremacist that he was undercover with

oh yeah

I guess I need to watch it again

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I liked the front flip that guy did. The average Chinese soldier would likely dodge a lot of bullets thanks to their I-frames because the PLA makes sure everyone stays below 70% equip load.

Our drat generals keep loading our troops up in heavy armor, and they’re fat-rolling all over the place. Shameful.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

More poo poo the troop has to carry = more poo poo the military has to buy for him/make him buy

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RecceGen/status/1539658948927975424

:hmmyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Top Gun Maverick yesterday and there's something almost Ur-Fascist in the way that the movie tries to drive home this point of 'a piloted plane is still better than a drone because of the human element' as well as 'a better pilot can overcome a technologically-superior plane' as part of the fictional mystique of the American military...

... but in the real world of Ukraine they're hyping up these Memeraktar drones and those smaller switchblade drones and HIMARS and all this high-tech poo poo that's supposed to win the war against Russia, which is constantly portrayed as being the more primitive force

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that was the plot of stealth like 20 years ago

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

you have to think in binary

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

wow globalism is a bitch eh. I guess you can't actually blockade half a continent

yes there are many examples in history of hegemonic powers seeking to destroy russia through an economic blockade, a "continental system" if you will. it never works for those powers, they delude themselves into thinking it might... but it might work for us.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

that was the plot of stealth like 20 years ago

and it was the plot to Deal of the Century 39 years ago

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

yes there are many examples in history of hegemonic powers seeking to destroy russia through an economic blockade, a "continental system" if you will. it never works for those powers, they delude themselves into thinking it might... but it might work for us.

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched Top Gun Maverick yesterday and there's something almost Ur-Fascist in the way that the movie tries to drive home this point of 'a piloted plane is still better than a drone because of the human element' as well as 'a better pilot can overcome a technologically-superior plane' as part of the fictional mystique of the American military...

... but in the real world of Ukraine they're hyping up these Memeraktar drones and those smaller switchblade drones and HIMARS and all this high-tech poo poo that's supposed to win the war against Russia, which is constantly portrayed as being the more primitive force

You got to remember that America is blessed by god then it makes sense.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mantis42 posted:

the continental system was against britain, which responded with a terror bombing against neutral denmark

not entirely sure how the analogy goes from there

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the continental system was against britain, which responded with a terror bombing against neutral denmark

not entirely sure how the analogy goes from there

napolean famously conquered all of russia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rutibex posted:

napolean famously conquered all of russia
??

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Liberal excuse making is ur-fascism. Just make an excuse for what you want. When your whims change, make an excuse for that. The liberal is the eternal hero of a story they are telling themselves.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
send in Rambo, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

this isn't true anymore, it's all T-11 all the time now

The T11 is such a wonky rear end parachute but it's necessary because when the T10 was designed nobody was wearing body armor (and gym culture wasn't making dudes 200 lbs of muscle) plummeting like a meteor