Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Kind of off topic but why does valve make so few video games?

It sucks too because Half-Life 2 is not actually finished yet. Episode 2 ends on a cliff hanger with a promise of Half-Life 3 on the way, but it was canceled. I dunno, maybe Half-Life 2 didn't sell as well as I thought it did, and so Valve couldn't justify a sequel and finishing the storyline, but Half-Life 1 is one of my favorite video games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Half-Life 3 was in development at one point... as a roguelite with procgen levels. It's probably for the best that it had a bullet put in it alongside the open-world base-builder version of Left 4 Dead 3.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
They also had an outsourced Episode 4 in the works, alongside Episode 3 that was in the works internally.

Steam means Valve doesn't have to develop games, and developing games has less potential return than improving anything for Stream.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rocket Pan posted:

The charge kits don't really conflict with any colour, though. The battery stays inside and you can just get a yellow USB C cable, the battery charges the same.
Or is this a thing where you don't know how the first party batteries charge and mistakenly got some third party after market ones? The first party batteries don't replace the door, given they charge via the controller itself through USB C.

:shrug:

I got this one:

Which looks pretty ugly on a yellow backplate.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

adhuin posted:

:shrug:

I got this one:

Which looks pretty ugly on a yellow backplate.

Indeed you got the very much the wrong one.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit
https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-acc...t/11108370.html
First party Xbox rechargeable batteries do not replace the door, they use the controller through the USB C. That's why there's an extra set of pins in the battery enclosure.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 20, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Was there a recent update for the Xbox controller that dramatically improved battery life? The past month or so I seem to get way more mileage from a full charge than I used to.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just use rechargable AAs.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was there a recent update for the Xbox controller that dramatically improved battery life? The past month or so I seem to get way more mileage from a full charge than I used to.

I don't think so, and if there was I think they would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No. I haven't updated my Xbox Controller in months, just launched the Xbox Accessories-App on my PC: No firmware update available.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe you're not playing as much as before. Although I have noticed the same thing and mentioned this recently to my spouse.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rocket Pan posted:

Indeed you got the very much the wrong one.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit
https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-acc...t/11108370.html
First party Xbox rechargeable batteries do not replace the door, they use the controller through the USB C. That's why there's an extra set of pins in the battery enclosure.

There’s a gamestop brand too that uses the USB port.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Been wild seeing Valve learn in real time that people don't want a headset they want A Faster Switch

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Criss-cross posted:

They also had an outsourced Episode 4 in the works, alongside Episode 3 that was in the works internally.

Steam means Valve doesn't have to develop games, and developing games has less potential return than improving anything for Stream.

Half Life is also just a million miles away from where the FPS genre is today. If they try to make a sequel either people will complain that it plays like a 15 year old game, or they'll complain that it doesn't feel like Half Life.

Thats why the last game was Alyx: Valve are capable of doing more half life if it means doing something new and interesting.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lammasu posted:

Kind of off topic but why does valve make so few video games?

Valve's product is Steam, not video games. They just happen to make some every so often to prop up a new technology like a new game engine or VR headset.

Even the Deck is a product meant to get Steam into more people's hands.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also they don't really have many game developers anymore. They used to, but a lot of them slowly went insane doing nothing all day and left lol.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Soul Glo posted:

Valve's product is Steam, not video games. They just happen to make some every so often to prop up a new technology like a new game engine or VR headset.

It's part that and also part where they don't want to release a game unless it does something completely new, they are developing stuff internally all the time that just gets scrapped for not being interesting enough. Nintendo does the same thing, like Splatoon started life as some features from a scrapped Mario Gamecube game or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Senator Drinksalot posted:

It's part that and also part where they don't want to release a game unless it does something completely new, they are developing stuff internally all the time that just gets scrapped for not being interesting enough. Nintendo does the same thing, like Splatoon started life as some features from a scrapped Mario Gamecube game or something.

Mario Sunshine came out, it just sucked

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Actually a bunch of games used stuff from that project, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Sunshine, Twilight Princess and Galaxy

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

And it's definitely having its intended effect on me. I'm not into PC gaming at all but if I could have a lighter version with a better battery, that I could put in a dock like a Switch? Have Windows on there for cloud streaming on the go and emulation? Have a Steam library that includes PlayStation first party games? I'm shaking just thinking about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Been wild seeing Valve learn in real time that people don't want a headset they want A Faster Switch

They did / do want a headset though. The index sold really well and was always sold out.

The regular index is still out of stock.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 20, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheScott2K posted:

If only there was a disparaging nickname for the Steam Deck which implied it was a product of low quality

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If only there was a disparaging nickname for the Steam Deck which implied it was a product of low quality

they could call it “the PlayStation 5”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they could call it “the PlayStation 5”

Don't sign your posts!!!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have enough points for a month of Game Pass, are there any value shenanigans to pull as far as like, "pay for X in dollars and X in points and it turns out cheaper" or just turn in the 12k points and be happy having turned it into $15?

I wish they let you just do the Xbox/No PC/No Gold pass for 7k like they do PC Pass, but I guess a lot of people do (which is why they don't let you).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

$150 for a year of ultimate is kind of asking a lot imo, I probably wouldn't bother

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's pretty easy to do the gold conversion. I got 3 years of ultimate for 70 dollars.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soul Glo posted:

Mario Sunshine came out, it just sucked

One of the worst takes yet.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Fall guys is out tomorrow on xbox if anyone is interested in that. Seems fun to play with friends.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

One of the worst takes yet.

You should really try playing it again now, presumably, that you aren’t a child.

It’s literally the worst made Mario game, maybe one of the worst made Nintendo games, period.

It’s a glitchy mess, terrible feeling to control, just poop from a butt.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
terrible to control and glitchy are the last things I’d describe sunshine even with its problems, I think you’re mixing it up with these Xbox games

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

True, Microsoft has not made a good game since the OG Xbox

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How long until gamepass gets Netflixed and the only
Good stuff is owned by ms, and then the ms stuff doesn’t have to be as good because it’s all meant to be consumed as part of a subscription and not purchased

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
About five more years

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How long until gamepass gets Netflixed and the only
Good stuff is owned by ms, and then the ms stuff doesn’t have to be as good because it’s all meant to be consumed as part of a subscription and not purchased
I don't see that happening. Game pass is such a boon to indie games that they have a concerted interest in being on the service. Also, now that they are guaranteed money JRPGs have incentive to release on game pass too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh no only reality show games :eek:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Peggle 3 and it has a gacha system to get new characters

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

True, Microsoft has not made a good game since the OG Xbox

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is a top-ten best game of all time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

priznat posted:

Would legitimately love to see a revival of 1 vs. 100

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Xbox 1 v 100 and Xbox uno came from a more innocent age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I loved xbox uno, that was super fun.

That was on the 360 though, I think on the One they added camera support and people kept showing their dicks on it? smdh