Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

why does butcher hate homelander... did i miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

2nd level spells posted:

No she's literally backed down once in a fight. With Maeve ehn Maven was caught )by ashleig) fuckin a cople dudes and Maee specifically asks jer to be human just once:
:

She does it. Can't be so bad

Ha! Have another, champ.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dongicus posted:

lol is this a shitpost? homelander raped and kidnapped his wife for like 8 years?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

crepeface posted:

lol is this a shitpost? homelander raped and kidnapped his wife for like 8 years?

Homelander had nothing to do with the kidnapping. It was all Vaught and HL was clueless about it.

I dont know about the rape thing. It always looked to me like she just cheated on butcher and instantly regretted her decision and especially since she got pregnant. Id have to watch season 1 again.

Butchers hatred stems from the fact he legit tought HL had done something to her

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dalael posted:

Homelander had nothing to do with the kidnapping. It was all Vaught and HL was clueless about it.

I dont know about the rape thing. It always looked to me like she just cheated on butcher and instantly regretted her decision and especially since she got pregnant. Id have to watch season 1 again.

Butchers hatred stems from the fact he legit tought HL had done something to her

In s2 she flat out says that Homelander raped her and nothing in the show ever contradicts that.

She was raped.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Dalael posted:

Butchers hatred stems from the fact he legit tought HL had done something against him

Ftfy. I think even Becca understood this.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hmmm, I might be misremembering who was responsible for setting Becca up in the house. butcher definitely blames HL tho.

and I don't remember anything from the flashback that would lead me to believe Becca and HL had an affair.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dalael posted:

We see her go into Homelander's office, and then leave shortly after disheveled and traumatised. It's unambiguously rape.

Butcher finds CCTV footage of Becca sat forlornly on a park bench for hours, and then is never seen again. He concludes that either she killed herself or Vaught/Homelander killed her. The disctinction doesn't really matter to him.

Becca goes to Vaught when she discovers she's pregnant. Partly because she's terrified of carrying a Supe kid, but also because she knows if Butcher finds out about her rape he'll go right after Homelander and get himself killed.

Vaught's previous Dr (the dude from The Wire) helps her through the pregnancy and then stashes her and Ryan in the fake town, away from Homelander. He finds out off-screen in S1, having gone back to threaten Dr The Wire.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dongicus posted:

lmao that this obvious joke post flew over everyone's head with the speed of a harrier jet

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i still don't get it :(

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In s2 she flat out says that Homelander raped her and nothing in the show ever contradicts that.

She was raped.

She was definitely raped, which is backed up both by Becca's dialogue to Homelander about how he doesn't get a say in how to raise Ryan after "what he did" to her, as well as the security camera footage of her going to the private business meeting with Homelander, then coming out hours later looking terrified and disheveled, putting on her shoes and hurrying away.

She wasn't kidnapped by anyone, though. Butcher thinks she was raped by HL and then either killed directly by HL or by Vought to cover up the rape. When he finds out that she's alive and in a compound, he thinks she's been kidnapped and goes to rescue her. Becca explains that she went to Vought for help, they found out she was pregnant with HL's baby from the rape, and promised to help her medically. Vought wanted to keep Ryan and Becca wanted to 1) survive the pregnancy/birth, something Vought were really the only ones remotely equipped to help with, 2) keep HL away from Ryan, and 3) still be in Ryan's life both because he is her child and because she didn't want him raised by a bunch of Vought employees and end up all hosed up like HL. Vought also wanted Ryan to not end up an unstable mess like HL, so they allowed Becca to stay with Ryan, raise him, and have a lot of say in how Ryan's life would go.

Vought pitched the compound angle to her as it being the only way to keep Ryan safe from HL. Once she's in the Vought-made compound, she stays there at least in part under duress because she knows Vought will never let her take Ryan, but she's also there because she's terrified of Homelander. She only even agrees to leave with Butcher because HL shows up in the compound and she comes to understand that Vought can't actually keep her or Ryan safe from him in the long term.

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao that this obvious joke post flew over everyone's head with the speed of a harrier jet

It was, but then people started talking about how they don't think Becca was raped, so, welp.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 20, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm sorry for saying staggered releases were good because they generated discussion earlier because this the most dumbass thread I've ever read

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Durzel posted:

I feel like a bad TV watcher for asking this, but what is it about Soldier Boy that means that everyone takes it as read that he can (and will, why?) destroy Homelander?

I mean the audience knows that he apparently has a power-deleting chest beam because of what happened to Kimiko, but I was under the impression that only Kimiko and Frenchie knew this (with the latter being out of action now). I was not given the impression that this revelation had been communicated to anyone else, yet everyone in the story acts like he's the solution. I was assuming that there would be a scene where Frenchie tells the gang that if they can get Soldier Boy to beam Homelander then he'll effectively be powerless, and beatable at that point. Maybe that is actually what has happened, but it seems to be that Soldier Boy is just going to straight up destroy Homelander instead?

Other than being the original Homelander before Homelander existed, what is it about him that everyone in the story assumes to be the case (i.e. not what the audience knows) that makes it clear that he can take down Homelander? Even Homelander being perhaps intimidated by seeing him take out that building gave me pause for thought, given that HL has had a train dumped on him and presumably worse in his time, why would it be taken as read that Soldier Boy's beam power would hurt/kill him?

The editing is a bit weird there because they make a big deal of Kimiko realizing she lost her powers while away from Butcher and crew but they observed Soldier Boy shred her power temporarily. They might infer it's permanent or not care since the plan is to kill him.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I'm sorry for saying staggered releases were good because they generated discussion earlier because this the most dumbass thread I've ever read

It's not any more stupid than any other thread on TVIV, or really another other discussion of this show (and probably any other show) on the internet. Note that is not me saying this thread isn't full of dumb as gently caress takes. People being dumb as gently caress in their takes about not at all complex poo poo in tv shows is both part of the entertainment factor of these discussions and part of them being kinda loving annoying.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

No Dignity posted:

its so bad dude.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
The Boys Season 3: I feel like a bad TV watcher for asking this, but...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I may be a more astute tv watcher than most but the endgame they're building towards feels a bit too obvious to me. Like clearly they're setting Homelander up for a redemption arc giving him all these real-world situations where he feels inadequate and showing his vulnerable side by dating Starlight.
Soldier Boy is probably gonna do something like kill Maeve or Starlight or Maeve and Starlight and then Hughie is gonna go to Homelander and be like "we've gotta do this for Starlight" and then they fight and it looks like they're gonna lose and then Butcher shows up last minute saying something cool and then they win.

Like, be a little less obvious writers, come on

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

No Dignity posted:

check out the star wars thread

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She was raped.

Oh I must have missed that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

check out the star wars thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I may be a more astute tv watcher than most but the endgame they're building towards feels a bit too obvious to me. Like clearly they're setting Homelander up for a redemption arc giving him all these real-world situations where he feels inadequate and showing his vulnerable side by dating Starlight.
Soldier Boy is probably gonna do something like kill Maeve or Starlight or Maeve and Starlight and then Hughie is gonna go to Homelander and be like "we've gotta do this for Starlight" and then they fight and it looks like they're gonna lose and then Butcher shows up last minute saying something cool and then they win.

:rolleyes:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lol this show hides it well but its essentially a rip off of The Avengers

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Durzel posted:

I feel like a bad TV watcher for asking this, but what is it about Soldier Boy that means that everyone takes it as read that he can (and will, why?) destroy Homelander?

I mean the audience knows that he apparently has a power-deleting chest beam because of what happened to Kimiko, but I was under the impression that only Kimiko and Frenchie knew this (with the latter being out of action now). I was not given the impression that this revelation had been communicated to anyone else, yet everyone in the story acts like he's the solution. I was assuming that there would be a scene where Frenchie tells the gang that if they can get Soldier Boy to beam Homelander then he'll effectively be powerless, and beatable at that point. Maybe that is actually what has happened, but it seems to be that Soldier Boy is just going to straight up destroy Homelander instead?

Other than being the original Homelander before Homelander existed, what is it about him that everyone in the story assumes to be the case (i.e. not what the audience knows) that makes it clear that he can take down Homelander? Even Homelander being perhaps intimidated by seeing him take out that building gave me pause for thought, given that HL has had a train dumped on him and presumably worse in his time, why would it be taken as read that Soldier Boy's beam power would hurt/kill him?

They originally went there for the weapon that killed Soldier Boy, that was a bust. Butcher didn't really have a plan after that aside from get Kimiko back to the states since she wasn't healing and leave Soldier Boy behind as the Russians' problem. The closest he had to a plan after that was probably to get juiced up on temp V and try to solo Homelander himself. But when Soldier Boy turns up in the states, he figured what the hell, let's see if we can put this piece in play.

e: I was just hopping through the latest episode and caught something I'd missed before, I was wrong about MM's dad: when he's picking up his daughter and sees the news, it flashes back to his dad. Looks like someone really did tear his body apart, it wasn't a heart attack, drat.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 20, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s also a bit messed up that MM’s daughter is watching the Homelander stuff knowing what happened to MM’s family, and what he does for a living. Especially since it gives him legit panic attacks.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is indistinguishable from the other posts in this thread so honestly A+ satire

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'll just say it people on Reddit not getting that Homelander is the bad guy is total cap. People just thinking he's rear end in a top hat superman and not realizing he's a Trump analogue is ... slightly more believable?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I skipped... a bunch of pages so apologies if this was asked and answered but was Kimiko's halting speech before the dance number part of her dream?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The caption is wrong, they thought blue falcon was a good guy not Homelander.

People are dumb but not that dumb

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The caption is wrong, they thought blue falcon was a good guy not Homelander.

People are dumb but not that dumb

I admire your naivete. There are totally folks out there thinking Homelander is a goodguy. Hell, some of them dressed as Homelander with trump masks at rallies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I skipped... a bunch of pages so apologies if this was asked and answered but was Kimiko's halting speech before the dance number part of her dream?

Yes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

bobjr posted:

It’s also a bit messed up that MM’s daughter is watching the Homelander stuff knowing what happened to MM’s family, and what he does for a living. Especially since it gives him legit panic attacks.

We have no idea what Janine knows about MM

For all we know MM never told her the truth about what happened to MM's family to protect her and for all we know Janine thinks MM is still working at juvenile hall

What I find really weird about that situation is that MM's ex-wife doesn't seem to have a problem with Travis showing all the Homelander poo poo to Janine. I figured she probably knows the truth and wouldn't want Janine to get brainwashed into thinking Homelander was actually a good guy like idiot Travis does

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

zoux posted:

She says the word I, which is a big step up from totally mute.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t think Homelander’s a buffoon, exactly, or even close to Trump. (I get that he’s powerful and stupid and embracing white male anger but beyond that it’s thin.)
I applaud you for managing to repeatedly and wildly misunderstand Trump, fascism, and Homelander. A real achievement.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

She says the word I, which is a big step up from totally mute.

I believe this was part of the fakeout leading to the dance number. IIRC, Frenchie does not mention her talking at all and just reacts to her kissing him. If she'd said anything, he would have been losing his poo poo about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Habibi posted:

I applaud you for managing to repeatedly and wildly misunderstand Trump, fascism, and Homelander. A real achievement.

lmao goddamn close this thread the day after episode drops. smoking biden was right about this show. binge dump is bad for lots of shows but this show in particular just invites idiots to trip over their own stupidity. They should dump the whole season and include an hour and half "the boys explained" video on top of that to hold people's hands through poo poo that they literally couldn't make any more apparent without outright stating it to the audience in block letters plastered on screen, read aloud slowly.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Elephant Ambush posted:

For all we know MM never told her the truth about what happened to MM's family to protect her and for all we know Janine thinks MM is still working at juvenile hall

What I find really weird about that situation is that MM's ex-wife doesn't seem to have a problem with Travis showing all the Homelander poo poo to Janine. I figured she probably knows the truth and wouldn't want Janine to get brainwashed into thinking Homelander was actually a good guy like idiot Travis does

I thought the guy's name was Todd or Tom or something like that, and yeah I'd like to think MM hold Monique what happened, but he very much tries to compartmentalize his life so it was likely a sanitized version like his dad's death story in season 2. It's probably a combination of that and the step dad being too busy salivating over Homelander's knob to know what's appropriate for Janine (he thought the only problem was the language Homelander used rather than the content, let alone any details MM may have told them about what Homelander's really like).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Elephant Ambush posted:

This struck me as weird too, but the supes are basically worshipped. They have theme parks, movies, restaurants, etc. It would be really hard to tell your kid that no, Mickey Mouse is actually evil and we can't watch anything from Disney, go to Disneyworld, etc. It would alienate Janine from all her peers. Is it more or less harmful to be honest with a 9 year old (or whatever) or let them believe until they are older?

PostNouveau posted:

I believe this was part of the fakeout leading to the dance number. IIRC, Frenchie does not mention her talking at all and just reacts to her kissing him. If she'd said anything, he would have been losing his poo poo about it.

Didn't he immediately call for the doctor when she spoke?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Habibi posted:

Homelander is a stand-in for America, and he's fascist adjacent because so is America. All his Trump-like qualities are also just the personification of America: Brash, narcissistic, menacing, and childish.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought now MM is clear he works in an official Anti-Supe corruption group, he might hide the gorier details though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Shooting Blanks posted:

Didn't he immediately call for the doctor when she spoke?

Part of the fantasy, it snaps back to them sitting on the bed together with the earbuds in and she kisses him.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 20, 2022