Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Although it was already on its way out, the G915 seems to have erased what was left of my hand strain (related to tendonitis) from typing. No other keyboard seems to have managed it so far, even ones with lighter switches. I guess the stiffness of the switches was never really as much of an issue as the shape of the keycaps, the travel distance and tactility, and the overall posture of my hands while typing. Not sure this anecdote will help anyone but I felt like typing about it with my non-strained hands!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

init
Jun 20, 2021

I usually build wired keyboards that use QMK firmware but I’ve suddenly gotten into the idea of building a small Bluetooth keyboard.

I found this microcontroller called a ”Nice! Nano” that appears to be Pro micro compatible with a firmware called ZMK.
Has anyone here used Nice nano with ZMK for a keyboard build before? How’d it work out? Any suggestions before I give this a shot?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I keep looking at the nibble 65 with it's cool oled screen and pcb board look.

https://nullbits.co/nibble/

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 19, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is there a good full size travel keyboard with 10-key? I know most people don't want to bring something that big, but I'm an accountant who did data entry at one point so I really like being able to use the 10-key and I travel a fair amount for work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Is there a good full size travel keyboard with 10-key? I know most people don't want to bring something that big, but I'm an accountant who did data entry at one point so I really like being able to use the 10-key and I travel a fair amount for work.

Look into a separate keypad; I did the lfkpad and it was very needs suiting for my numpad requirements while giving me flexibility to banish it when I don't need it, and it will likely be easier to carry around a separate kb and numpad than a larger kb that has both.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

Do you happen to be on a Mac? The full sized Apple Magic Keyboard is extremely thin and light at least. Not sure how I'd safely transport it though. Google shows cases available at least.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I keep eating the nibble 65 with it's cool oled screen and pcb board look.

I haven't built the Nibble, but I've done several similar "solder everything yourself" builds and I found it very rewarding. It will take you an entire day though unless you're a soldering pro, or you could split it up over a weekend.
If you have no soldering experience it's a lot to take on, but it is doable if you're patient and careful.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Screama posted:

I haven't built the Nibble, but I've done several similar "solder everything yourself" builds and I found it very rewarding. It will take you an entire day though unless you're a soldering pro, or you could split it up over a weekend.
If you have no soldering experience it's a lot to take on, but it is doable if you're patient and careful.

Thanks. I can solder poorly so this will be a good learning experience.

The nibble with the matching num pad is everything I've been looking for, but I'm worried it won't have a good enough feel for the cost sunk into it after stabilizers, keycaps, etc.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I keep eating the nibble 65 with it's cool oled screen and pcb board look.

the nibble 65 is a great project if you want to start with a 65% board. i have one and it was fun to build and there are a few easy mods, too. do it imo

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

the nibble 65 is a great project if you want to start with a 65% board. i have one and it was fun to build and there are a few easy mods, too. do it imo

Now I just have to convince the wife.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really like the keycaps Niz includes with their boards, but they don't sell them separately. Does anyone have suggestions on sets that are close to this? https://www.nizkeyboard.com/collections/peripherals/products/niz-2019-new-x87-electro-capacitive-bluetooth-keyboard-non-rgb-white-black

mes
Apr 28, 2006

A couple sets from Cannon Keys come to mind:
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/cannonkeys-keycaps/products/nicepbt-greyscale
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/cannonkeys-keycaps/products/nicepbt-type-6

In-stock and fairly cheap.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The type 6 is pretty much exactly the height profile and type thickness I was looking for, thanks!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I got a Durgod Taurus K320 recently and after about a week of use, i'm pretty happy with it. If you want an affordable, smaller keyboard, i'd recommend it. I got the version with Cherry Red MX switches, which was suppose to be kind of along the "quieter" side and it's louder then I expected, but not annoyingly so.

But it feels very good to use and takes up almost no desk space. I got it because my previous small keyboard, a CODE V3 I think it was, nearly doubled in price. So I gave this one a shot because it was $100 vs $200, and i'm pretty happy with my choice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

init posted:

I usually build wired keyboards that use QMK firmware but I’ve suddenly gotten into the idea of building a small Bluetooth keyboard.

I found this microcontroller called a ”Nice! Nano” that appears to be Pro micro compatible with a firmware called ZMK.
Has anyone here used Nice nano with ZMK for a keyboard build before? How’d it work out? Any suggestions before I give this a shot?

Nice! Nano is great if not a little expensive. I haven't taken the time to sit down and learn ZMK but from a glance it seems like a pain, and it's really still in it's infancy. The creator just quit his job and is taking his family on the road to live out of a camper trailer and work full time on ZMK so maybe it'll improve? I wouldn't go in blind to a ZMK build though. I would just buy a kit with the layout already supported by a readily available firmware. Most frequently that will be a Bluemicro build.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7lNdU5gAV4

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Got my godspeed Keycaps finally.

Not sure about some of the colours right now, but I've got a good number of alternate keys I can switch out. Would have been nice to get white keycaps but everything was sold out by the grey.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I bought a Keychron C2 as an intermediate step and so far I'm honestly not a huge fan? It doesn't seem to be a lemon, but maybe I just got too used to my massive mushy surfboard of a Logitech g510. I have to learn to type all over again and it's very awkward and the keyboard's weird combination of missing features I would like and having a bunch of features I have no use for is perplexing. I got the gateron browns and they're also surprisingly loud but hopefully I'll get used to them eventually. It just feels and sounds.. cheap, I guess? I might try some different keycaps at some point.

And if I still hate it at the end of all that, it wasn't exactly a hugely expensive one. So it might very well feel cheap because it is cheap.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 24, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That sounds so soothing, ugh.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

I bought a Keychron C2 as an intermediate step and so far I'm honestly not a huge fan? It doesn't seem to be a lemon, but maybe I just got too used to my massive mushy surfboard of a Logitech g510. I have to learn to type all over again and it's very awkward and the keyboard's weird combination of missing features I would like and having a bunch of features I have no use for is perplexing. I got the gateron browns and they're also surprisingly loud but hopefully I'll get used to them eventually. It just feels and sounds.. cheap, I guess? I might try some different keycaps at some point.

And if I still hate it at the end of all that, it wasn't exactly a hugely expensive one. So it might very well feel cheap because it is cheap.

Reds might be more up your street if you like 'em mushy.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

hailthefish posted:

The C2 is definitely in the budget-friendly tier. The premium option, that's likely a lot closer to your expectations, is something like this: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q6-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

init
Jun 20, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nice! Nano is great if not a little expensive. I haven't taken the time to sit down and learn ZMK but from a glance it seems like a pain, and it's really still in it's infancy. The creator just quit his job and is taking his family on the road to live out of a camper trailer and work full time on ZMK so maybe it'll improve? I wouldn't go in blind to a ZMK build though. I would just buy a kit with the layout already supported by a readily available firmware. Most frequently that will be a Bluemicro build.

Yeah their instructions seem to require using GitHub Actions to generate the firmware, which I’ve never seen before. I would prefer generating the firmware locally using Docker if that’s an option.

I’m still quite intrigued by the possibility of using ZMK. A split 40% with Bluetooth is basically my endgame and ZMK seems to support split halves over Bluetooth. So I might give it a shot even if the library isn’t mature yet.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm starting to solder my murphpad. haven't soldered electrical components in probably 15 years. wish me luck!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Good luck!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

well, no switches or keycaps yet (forgot about those lol), but it works! it lights up! and the rotary encoder adjusts the volume!

i ordered it with mill-max sockets so i can change out switches as i like if it comes to it, but as i understand i should wait 'til i have switches to use for alignment before soldering those in. so i'm getting some of those on order tonight.

i'm going to use it a bit with my standard 100% keyboard at work, but now i'm thinking about replacing that with a 60% - or even a 40%. i love the small board aesthetic, i know it will take some getting used to but they look so good. mechwild also has the Mercutio, which would obviously match my murphpad. anyone have any other suggestions for good, minimalist 40%/60% pads i can look at?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
holy poo poo that is comprehensive coverage for $120

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just got my Q5 from Keychron and am upgrading from the C2 (which I like a lot), here are my first impressions:

- Holy poo poo this thing is heavy. Like, noticeably. It won't be sliding around or anything.
- Not a big fan of the relatively low maximum angle, I had propped my C2 all the way up and this is a few degrees lower. I'm going to see if I can wedge something under the back end to raise it a bit. I understand why they didn't include adjustable legs as it wouldn't have been very stable, but still.
- Not the biggest fan of the sound! It's very comfortable to type on (I went with the prebuilt option and got the knob version and Gateron browns since it was only $20 more, cheaper than buying the same switches separately) but I miss the loud clack of the C2 with the same switches. It's actually too quiet IMO, I wish the experience was louder and less smooth? I could just be neurotic here. There's also a bit of a metallic ping if you really go all in at the center of the board while typing.
- The included quick start guide mentions that it should have shipped with an included key puller, hex key, and screwdriver but literally none of that was in the box

Also drat DHL kicked this thing around, the box was absolutely crumpled at the corners

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 27, 2022

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ha, and I'm ambivalent about my C2 because it's too loud and clacky with browns!

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

change my name posted:

- The included quick start guide mentions that it should have shipped with an included key puller, hex key, and screwdriver but literally none of that was in the box

I’ve seen mentioned that these are in the very bottom of the box, under some foam or somwthing, so maybe check again?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

change my name posted:

I just got my Q5 from Keychron and am upgrading from the C2 (which I like a lot), here are my first impressions:

- Holy poo poo this thing is heavy. Like, noticeably. It won't be sliding around or anything.
- Not a big fan of the relatively low maximum angle, I had propped my C2 all the way up and this is a few degrees lower. I'm going to see if I can wedge something under the back end to raise it a bit. I understand why they didn't include adjustable legs as it wouldn't have been very stable, but still.
- Not the biggest fan of the sound! It's very comfortable to type on (I went with the prebuilt option and got the knob version and Gateron browns since it was only $20 more, cheaper than buying the same switches separately) but I miss the loud clack of the C2 with the same switches. It's actually too quiet IMO, I wish the experience was louder and less smooth? I could just be neurotic here. There's also a bit of a metallic ping if you really go all in at the center of the board while typing.

Also drat DHL kicked this thing around, the box was absolutely crumpled at the corners

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B1SC562/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this to prop up another keyboard. Maybe this could help you get the right angle?

It also sounds like you want a different tactile switch. Boba U4T is probably what you want. More of a tactile bump and the thocky noise.

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4t-thocky-tactile-switches

Currently out of stock but they come back fairly frequently.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FistLips posted:

I’ve seen mentioned that these are in the very bottom of the box, under some foam or somwthing, so maybe check again?

Oops, you’re right: all four pieces were smushed under the bottom layer of foam

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Just finished my Sinc build, a couple findings:
1) give keeb.io money, that's an upstanding business. They shipped the wrong boards and made it right no charge even though it was international.
2) I really despise no hotswap from a maintenance standpoint, but this is as pretty good as it gets for a board that requires soldering
3) a lot of guides omit a ton of information you need to know and it's not obvious you're doing the wrong thing until it's too late. The bottom right row has a few layout options, and it's a pain in the dick to figure out blind. Put the caps on the switches BEFORE you solder them in
4) having the knobs and macro is great, but there's just no replicating the knobs at the thumbs the Sofle has. Still, better than dealing with an ortholinear layout and too-few keys for coding

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Best place online to find a coiled aviator style cable for my nerd keyboard? It must be pinku (that's Japanese for pink) or any other dope colour. It must come apart into two sekushon (that's Japanese for sections). Oh, it should be pretty long as I don't want my kēburu (cable) to touch other things (I have my water above my keyboard and it can get wet). Thanks goons.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I've covered my actual keyboard needs pretty thoroughly at this point, so now it's time for joke and/or gift builds. I'm finding that a separate numpad is a great way to try out a few switches in a realistic way without springing (ha) for a full set, and there's plenty of numpad keys lying around from the keycap sets I've gotten so far. 100g linears? Sure, why not. Muted clickbar switches?... actually kind of fun.

On a related note, if anyone knows of a decent triple-mode numpad, I'm all ears.

EDIT: answered my own question with this. It's also $15 cheaper on AliExpress, too!

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 28, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

VelociBacon posted:

Best place online to find a coiled aviator style cable for my nerd keyboard? It must be pinku (that's Japanese for pink) or any other dope colour. It must come apart into two sekushon (that's Japanese for sections). Oh, it should be pretty long as I don't want my kēburu (cable) to touch other things (I have my water above my keyboard and it can get wet). Thanks goons.

CableMod?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

KBDfans has a nice selection, including pinku

https://kbdfans.com/collections/key...=40155052802187

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Hi thread, I was after you help on my hunt for a new keyboard.

I’m currently using a Logitech G915 TKL which is fine, but I miss having full depth mechanical keys for writing documents and I’d like something a bit more compact on my desk.

My wish list is for something 75-ish%, full size mechanical, wireless and with ISO UK layout. Does such a combination exist?

Basically the Keychron Q1 Barebone ISO Knob looks like it would be perfect if it was wireless? Or am I out of luck here? I’ve seen some that come close but are 60%, and I really need my function keys.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

quote:

My wish list is for something 75-ish%, full size mechanical, wireless and with ISO UK layout. Does such a combination exist?

Basically the Keychron Q1 Barebone ISO Knob looks like it would be perfect if it was wireless? Or am I out of luck here? I’ve seen some that come close but are 60%, and I really need my function keys.
Keychron K2 might be the closest thing to what you want https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09B27KP1S

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I used a Keychron and hated it. It felt light and flimsy.

I’d check Varmilo. I know they have BT/wired switchable keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="524498377"]
Hi thread, I was after you help on my hunt for a new keyboard.

I’m currently using a Logitech G915 TKL which is fine, but I miss having full depth mechanical keys for writing documents and I’d like something a bit more compact on my desk.

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/copy-of-hhkb-bundle-hotswap

Not sure if this supports ISO but I think it's what you want.