Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For what it is worth I have been discussing the potential history of Ivalice, specifically Ultima, as it might relate to the Calamities. Notably, the Calamity of Fire came about during a period of multiple religious nations vying for power, which the nature of Ultima certainly could have encouraged.

Ultima is either contemporary or prior to Allag, as Allag uses Auracite to make weapons like Save the Queen and Zantetsukan. Also would explain Ultima Weapon, if it is actually named after the High Seraph thanks to its use of Auracite (the Vaunted Scholars of Allag couldn’t work out how the Heart of Sabik functions but it is a form of Auracite, in Japan it’s called the Black Auracite).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

For what it is worth I have been discussing the potential history of Ivalice, specifically Ultima, as it might relate to the Calamities. Notably, the Calamity of Fire came about during a period of multiple religious nations vying for power, which the nature of Ultima certainly could have encouraged.

I was trying to think how a huge 5000 ton war machine could play a role encouraging religious war until I remembered what you were talking about

this franchise is dumb sometimes

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I should name my chocobo Ultima, too

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

I was trying to think how a huge 5000 ton war machine could play a role encouraging religious war until I remembered what you were talking about

this franchise is dumb sometimes

Warhammer 40k is right there.

Final Fantasy just happens to be a kitchen sink setting where Gundams, machine guns, wizards, and bowmen all exist in the same period. And all somehow have parity with each other.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"Unleash Ultima!"

"The weapon, the spell, or the god?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Electric Phantasm posted:

"Unleash Ultima!"

Just grab one end of the leash, find out which it leads to, and remove it!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I spotted Alpha and Omega chatting with two servants in Sharlayan.

And, just like good friends, the moment you try to take a candid picture, they turn around to say hi and won't stop posing no matter how much you try to tell them to act normally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wanted to level a Tank for the Role Quests, but my tankxiety flared up again due to how punishing Tower of Zot is and I haven't touched it yet. Not helped by the fact that my laptop really could use a replacement.

To my immense surprise, the Matanga quests have carried me from 80 to 86 without a single roulette. Now I'm halfway to 87 and the storyline isn't even over yet.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah dailies are awful in ARR and bad in HW in terms of time investment, but become decent in Stormblood and straight up good in ShB. I leveled SGE and RPR to 80 like five minutes a day in Il Mheg getting about a LDR's worth of XP per set

The crafter/gatherer tribals in ARR/HW/SB are still pretty worth too, I think. Even the Ixal ones, if you're super low level

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Moogles done! And the HW alliance quest was worth it!

I just have Kojin and Namazu left for pre-WE tribes, been doing Kojin and it seems okay-ish. You have to navigate the Ruby Sea but at least the questgiver is standing next to the teleport point. How are the Namazu compared to the Moogles (bad) and Dwarves (good)?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bruceski posted:

I just have Kojin and Namazu left for pre-WE tribes, been doing Kojin and it seems okay-ish. You have to navigate the Ruby Sea but at least the questgiver is standing next to the teleport point. How are the Namazu compared to the Moogles (bad) and Dwarves (good)?

Better than most since they have teleporter next to the questgiver and the Steppe has a central Aetheryte, its biggest problems being north quests since all teleports are from center to south, and one quest that needs you go around huge tracts of land.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Namazu are good, yes, yes. Much more comparable to Dwarves. (They also work for gatherers, actually!)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bruceski posted:

Namazu are pretty good, though not quite as good as the dwarves imo. They have a questgiver right next to the aetheryte, and while they do send you across a very large area, it's all flat and you can pretty easily plan a route ahead of time. It helps that the settlement is located off on one side, so you can work your way across to the other side and then just teleport back.

Kojin are kind of annoying because of the underwater stuff, and one quest that ends way down at the Ruby Price, which is always a pain to visit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah dailies are awful in ARR and bad in HW in terms of time investment, but become decent in Stormblood and straight up good in ShB. I leveled SGE and RPR to 80 like five minutes a day in Il Mheg getting about a LDR's worth of XP per set

The crafter/gatherer tribals in ARR/HW/SB are still pretty worth too, I think. Even the Ixal ones, if you're super low level

Yeah, Ixal wasn't bad. It's how I got my stuff up to 50 pre-Restoration quests. The only hard part was remembering to equip the special gloves.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ixal's better now than it used to be, mostly because the special statuses you get to be able to use the crafting stations no longer have associated penalties (that will happily stack if you accidentally have multiple rolling at once) - you used to have things like "no cross-class skills allowed" and "reduced CP" and such interfering with your crafting.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Hogama posted:

Ixal's better now than it used to be, mostly because the special statuses you get to be able to use the crafting stations no longer have associated penalties (that will happily stack if you accidentally have multiple rolling at once) - you used to have things like "no cross-class skills allowed" and "reduced CP" and such interfering with your crafting.

"Why is my CP at 75?" was a favorite question during that time. Still eternally mad that the ilv70 gloves you get from them THAT SHARE THE SAME loving MODEL AS THE GLOVES THEY START YOU WITH can't be used for Ixali crafts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I'm up to 80+ on everything (aside from BLU, which is 70), but your counsel is noted for when I finally start getting back into the swing of leveling my Crafters/Gatherers.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Begemot posted:

Kojin are kind of annoying because of the underwater stuff, and one quest that ends way down at the Ruby Price, which is always a pain to visit.

Either teleport to the north Aetheryte and get the boat to the south island (this is useful for some other kojin quests), or teleport to Kugane city and Ruby Price is on its aethernet network

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
...well then. I know which NG+ I'll be trying out on my weekend.
https://twitter.com/erikadandelion/status/1538545521031258112?t=AGTy2-8LbumJtDkLiyo2xQ&s=19

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wanted to level a Tank for the Role Quests, but my tankxiety flared up again due to how punishing Tower of Zot is and I haven't touched it yet. Not helped by the fact that my laptop really could use a replacement.

To my immense surprise, the Matanga quests have carried me from 80 to 86 without a single roulette. Now I'm halfway to 87 and the storyline isn't even over yet.

lol it is the easiest role in the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Oneirio/status/1538865690005803008

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That's adorable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

lol it is the easiest role in the game

Oh, I know. I was pretty confidently playing all four Tanks in Shadowbringers. But I haven't played since then and my laptop has gotten significantly worse at running XIV in the interim.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Watching Playframe’s let’s play and I’m reminded just how much I hated Heavensward’s follow up to The Banquet in ARR. So many interesting plot threads swept aside so haphazardly so that the status quo could be restored. Not to mention the way the whole issue of the sultana turning Ul’dah into a republic gets dropped and the syndicate recast as good guys despite them being nothing but a parasitic cancer up until that point.

Ungh… I hate it so much! :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Blue Mage questline even has a story arc about one of the Syndicate members basically trying to steal all of the resources for the Blue Mage Guild for himself and his son. :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, it's probably the one bad part of Heavensward's MSQ for me. It also feels like every time we go back there things just get more irritating. Why, yes, Nanamo, it was vitally important that you tell Lolorito that he is both allowed and encouraged to profit off the END OF THE WORLD. He was going to do that anyway, of course, but it's nice you gave him permission.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would be interesting to know when they designed the scripts and visions for the stories, because it is clear to me that they consider having 'new, exotic realms' to be a big plus for every expansion and, indeed, in Endwalker none of them even had any real geographical connection to each other. However, this is kind of a series of trends that come from Heavensward (which I believe just expanded to encompass what had been present, in some form, in 1.0?)

I do hope that they present us with a more coherent 'realm' to explore in 7.0 -- both for the sake of re-grounding the story and because they haven't really done that in a long time.

Anyway, I think the Syndicate et al. plot getting backburnered or thrown out is in large part an artifact of that decision to have the story radiate outwards, rather than focusing on the development of political and social matters in Eorzea. Though the fact that they revisited Limsa Lominsa suggests it may not be like, entirely forgotten, either.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They're not going to implement substantive changes to the cities because they don't want to do that WoW thing where they phase the world by quest status and all the new players in the first half of the game are in the ghost town of Old Royalist Ul'dah, while the majority of the population is in the New Ul'dahn Republic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

They're not going to implement substantive changes to the cities because they don't want to do that WoW thing where they phase the world by quest status and all the new players in the first half of the game are in the ghost town of Old Royalist Ul'dah, while the majority of the population is in the New Ul'dahn Republic.

You didn't really need to do this to make an Ul'dahn republic work though. They could have kept all the action oriented stuff to back rooms/areas outside the city/instances and kept the map and NPC layout of Ul'dah basically the same with the exception of some flags swapped out and some NPCs commenting on the new leadership. If you're really spicy you could break some walls down and change things cosmetically in ways that players can see but don't affect the map itself.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Uldah is fine as it is

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

readingatwork posted:

You didn't really need to do this to make an Ul'dahn republic work though. They could have kept all the action oriented stuff to back rooms/areas outside the city/instances and kept the map and NPC layout of Ul'dah basically the same with the exception of some flags swapped out and some NPCs commenting on the new leadership. If you're really spicy you could break some walls down and change things cosmetically in ways that players can see but don't affect the map itself.

Of course, you can't do that with stuff like on-the-map Garlean Castrums all over the 3 starting city states which were kinda dubious after 2.0, increasingly silly after Stormblood and outright ridiculous after Endwalker.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, it's probably the one bad part of Heavensward's MSQ for me. It also feels like every time we go back there things just get more irritating. Why, yes, Nanamo, it was vitally important that you tell Lolorito that he is both allowed and encouraged to profit off the END OF THE WORLD. He was going to do that anyway, of course, but it's nice you gave him permission.

I feel like that actually is kind of important, insofar as Nanamo is asserting the right to set limits on Lolorito's depredations in the name of the good of all, at a time when he can't really disagree. It's a power move. It's not an amazing power move, but it's about as much as she can do with the cards she holds.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Uldah is fine as it is

I'm not mad that they didn't nuke Uldah. I'm mad that they made me watch their 2 hour version of the red wedding and then unceremoniously dropped everything they set up in favor or resetting the status quo.

They could have done some really interesting things with one of the 3 major powers (as well as your former personal army) being controlled by Teji or Lolorito and it was a great opportunity to directly confront the syndicate in a natively satisfying way. It's an incredibly frustrating missed opportunity. (see also: not giving the empire it's own expansion before endwalker which I will die mad about).

E: Also the opening trailer for Heavensward which gave the impression that these plotlines would be super important didn't help.

E2: Also I would have kept most of the scions dead. I love what FF14 does with them later as well but you need to commit to your character deaths damnit! :colbert:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 21, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Electric Phantasm posted:

"Unleash Ultima!"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like that actually is kind of important, insofar as Nanamo is asserting the right to set limits on Lolorito's depredations in the name of the good of all, at a time when he can't really disagree. It's a power move. It's not an amazing power move, but it's about as much as she can do with the cards she holds.

But she doesn't? She asks/orders him to take charge of the collection of Allagan relics and then immediately tells him he's allowed to profit off of it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hellioning posted:

But she doesn't? She asks/orders him to take charge of the collection of Allagan relics and then immediately tells him he's allowed to profit off of it.
It's an assertion of authority. If he is (basically) doing "what he was going to do anyway" under royal decree, then by suggestion the royal decree may at some point change.

I got the same vibe Rand did, it was a power move, just not a very big one.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

readingatwork posted:

E2: Also I would have kept most of the scions dead. I love what FF14 does with them later as well but you need to commit to your character deaths damnit! :colbert:

turns out you don't

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

readingatwork posted:

Hell they were basically new characters when they came back, so there was nothing really tying you to them. All it did was undermine any dramatic tension by having the only permanent loss be Raubahn's arm. This doesn't even prevent him from fighting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eimi posted:

Hell they were basically new characters when they came back, so there was nothing really tying you to them. All it did was undermine any dramatic tension by having the only permanent loss be Raubahn's arm. This doesn't even prevent him from fighting.

Hey, someone on our side died permanently in those events, as you might recall! Just because her performance didn't have any life in it in the first place, doesn't mean Minfilia didn't die that day!

I've always been kinda curious about the intention behind so many of the events in the Parting Glass being so temporary. I don't really think it was 'walking back' anything, since all evidence we have of the patch/expansion cycles says that they had Heavensward mostly done at least in planning by the time they did 2.55, but... that just raises further questions, at least I'd get if they reconsidered some of those deaths. Why did they specifically decide to do six fake deaths in the one quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Hey, someone on our side died permanently in those events, as you might recall! Just because her performance didn't have any life in it in the first place, doesn't mean Minfilia didn't die that day!

I've always been kinda curious about the intention behind so many of the events in the Parting Glass being so temporary. I don't really think it was 'walking back' anything, since all evidence we have of the patch/expansion cycles says that they had Heavensward mostly done at least in planning by the time they did 2.55, but... that just raises further questions, at least I'd get if they reconsidered some of those deaths. Why did they specifically decide to do six fake deaths in the one quest?

Because literally every one of those deaths is the easiest thing ever to walk about because it isn't on-screen, and breaking the fellowship is a narrative trope for a reason.

It's to create the absolute scenario of hopelessness in HW that you spend much of the .0 storyline building back from. Some of which involves finding friends thought lost to be alive.

The Nanamo thing is different, but the Scions themselves are pretty clearly not actually dead.