Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Got my C licence so decided to try the Radical SR10 for size.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
The Radical is what it says it is.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's definitely a lot more of a handful than the SR8 was, but in a good way, it is rowdy

edit: I hope with ndm it can take a hit better than the SR8, it was extremely fragile

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

what’s a clutch

It's what allows Lego bricks to stay attached to each other

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's definitely a lot more of a handful than the SR8 was, but in a good way, it is rowdy

edit: I hope with ndm it can take a hit better than the SR8, it was extremely fragile

I find the opposite since it's so pushy, the sr8 would just spin if you aren't careful.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah I had a pretty big contact that would have ended an SR8 race and kept going fine in the SR10

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Got to share my experience tonight. I decided I wasn't near ready to race my new SR 10 yesterday and just left it at practice, picked it up again today and could barely get a lap in at any kind of pace without locking up or spinning, started wondering if I'd made a mistake buying it. Kept practicing, couldn't really push for long without binning it but got some kind of rhythm and learned where the dangerous parts of the track were for me so I went into a race. Really expected to be bottom split, around 1k SoF but I was instead just good enough to get into the third split at 1.6k SoF, so I'm really nervous at this point. I started mid-pack since half the field didn't qualify which is even worse.

Finished top half, 0x incidents, didn't get lapped. I feel incredible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not much feels better than doing really well and not much feels worse than binning it on the last lap of an hour long race. iRacing is a game of high highs and low lows. Congrats!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I recently started playing F1 2017 (the most recent title where I can get both great framerates and graphics on my aging rig)

Can anyone point me to a good resource on setting up the car? I have a general understanding doing of obvious things like wings and weight distribution but other things like the anti-roll bars, camber/toe, as well as what kinds of things you want to look at for particular circuits, I am fairly ignorant about.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I recently started playing F1 2017 (the most recent title where I can get both great framerates and graphics on my aging rig)

Can anyone point me to a good resource on setting up the car? I have a general understanding doing of obvious things like wings and weight distribution but other things like the anti-roll bars, camber/toe, as well as what kinds of things you want to look at for particular circuits, I am fairly ignorant about.

Generally speaking you can probably get a lot out of only touching the rollbars in addition to the wings.

I dunno where F1 2017 is at but in IRL F1 cars you're adjusting brake bias/peak brake bias a lot to suit tracks, differential slip settings to allow drivers to get back on power earlier, entire aero packages, that kind of thing.

I would suggest starting by getting super comfortable with the car in a baseline type of setup on a certain track - you should be putting in consecutive laps within .5s of each other. Then take your rear roll bar one step stiffer and see how that impacts the handling and how you feel in a variety of corners.

ARB resource: https://www.ast-suspension.com/docs/tech-talk/Setup-Tips-Anti-Roll-Bar.pdf

e: I know it's not what you came here for but if you find setup in any way interesting you need to just get on iRacing it's where you belong.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

MrMojok posted:

https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/suspension-geometry-explained/ explains the concepts pretty well.

Drive, make a small change, see how it feels. Single changes only unless you know very well what you are doing.

Long straights, slow corners = lower wing
Tight track or fast corners = more wing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
On the other hand, if you just care about going faster more than the theory of it all, I think the F1 games are still very much "trial and error counterintuitive things til you find an edge case that breaks physics a bit" so you can save time by just finding some streamer or other's setups online.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks, guys.

I have considered iRacing but I need to upgrade my hardware, I think.

e: I do find setups online and I tend to modify them to make the car a bit “tail-happy” just through the wings and weight distribution, but what I haven’t ever understood is the anti-roll/suspension type stuff. I think once I dig into this link I will gain a little better understanding of all that.

Thanks again.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 16, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The rollbars in f1 essentially control how much the car wants to slide in a corner. More rollbar=more sliding. They force your car to stay flat, which sometimes means that the lateral forces overcome the tires and you slide. If you like tail happy cars, dial it up in the back and run it lower in the front.

The suspension is mostly analogous to damping in the real world. If you add suspension the car is more likely to bounce on curbs and things like that, but will stay flatter and more planted in corners. Less suspension means you won’t upset the car as much on curbs, but there’s more body roll and less traction in corners. It also means the car dives more on the brakes. Some tracks require you to mount the curbs to go the fastest, so you need to strike a balance between not catching air and not understeering like crazy

The two can somewhat cancel each other out or complement one another. The key is finding the balance on a per-track basis

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Was about to go get a sweet deal on a Thrustmaster T150 from FB marketplace, told the guy I was getting ready to leave work to meet (we had made a plan to do so earlier in the day) and they just blocked me completely.

Welp.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Vando posted:

bUm posted:

In unrelated news, got a new job making a bunch more money which has me thinking of upgrading my Thrustmaster T-150. :retrogames: Looks like the CSL DD is very out of stock so that tempers things unless others have hopped aboard the affordable direct drive train. Was also thinking about a proper shifter/handbrake while doing rally last night since rotating paddles and push-button handbrake suck in rally--Fanatec shifter/handbrake seem crazy expensive for what it is.

Gran Turismo branded version is in stock (for now), otherwise it's just the very new to the scene Moza DD which is apparently the equal of Fanatec, but is its own ecosystem and doesn't have the track record. But they do have stock!

Finally did some deeper research and, yeah, seems like I can either wait who knows how long for the CSL DD (without paying an extra $100 for the Gran Turismo branding) or go with the Moza for more budget oriented DD. Kind of annoying that the Moza DD seems well priced and quality-wise on reviews, but without any wheel selection to match--just recently coming out with an affordable one that seems too light on buttons (and only on the official site so far I think which has $165+ shipping to the US) or a $500 good one which makes the combined price a good deal higher than CSL DD w/ boost + ClubSport hub w/ wheel bundle that seemed like a good all-round setup. Also: lol that there's guides on how to make your own boost box for the CSL DD for $30, instead of the $150 upcharge Fanatec has since it's apparently just a 180W power brick with a somewhat weird plug (4 pin like a modular power supply).

Getting closer to going ahead and pulling the trigger on snagging Fanatec CSL pedals w/ LC to at least get that improved braking feel though--still pretty on the fence about $1000 for a DD + wheel.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You'll get more out of load cell pedals that a direct drive wheel.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bUm posted:

Finally did some deeper research and, yeah, seems like I can either wait who knows how long for the CSL DD (without paying an extra $100 for the Gran Turismo branding) or go with the Moza for more budget oriented DD. Kind of annoying that the Moza DD seems well priced and quality-wise on reviews, but without any wheel selection to match--just recently coming out with an affordable one that seems too light on buttons (and only on the official site so far I think which has $165+ shipping to the US) or a $500 good one which makes the combined price a good deal higher than CSL DD w/ boost + ClubSport hub w/ wheel bundle that seemed like a good all-round setup. Also: lol that there's guides on how to make your own boost box for the CSL DD for $30, instead of the $150 upcharge Fanatec has since it's apparently just a 180W power brick with a somewhat weird plug (4 pin like a modular power supply).

Getting closer to going ahead and pulling the trigger on snagging Fanatec CSL pedals w/ LC to at least get that improved braking feel though--still pretty on the fence about $1000 for a DD + wheel.

since you're playing rally crap, if you do go fanatec and really don't care for having every xbox button in the world on your wheel for other games, one possible way to save money is to just get an SRM adapter (tho make sure to have a QR or w/e prefit on there since you'd have to actually do work otherwise to wire them) and throw some moderately cheap knockoff wheel on there. I only play RBR and just ended up buying a programmable 9 keypad and just use that for menus arrow keys+enter+esc.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 17, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bentai posted:

Can we make this the thread title?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can we make this the thread title?

I bugged Veeg to do it and he did it in 30 seconds lol

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
This cropped up in YT recommendeds and may be neat to people talking about Le Mans recently. An onboard lap guide from 1956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRFagIbcPE

Homeless Friend posted:

since you're playing rally crap, if you do go fanatec and really don't care for having every xbox button in the world on your wheel for other games, one possible way to save money is to just get an SRM adapter (tho make sure to have a QR or w/e prefit on there since you'd have to actually do work otherwise to wire them) and throw some moderately cheap knockoff wheel on there. I only play RBR and just ended up buying a programmable 9 keypad and just use that for menus arrow keys+enter+esc.
Definitely don't only rally and many racing games aren't as kind as rally ones on buttons needed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bUm posted:

Definitely don't only rally and many racing games aren't as kind as rally ones on buttons needed.

"This one indy car in the 90s had a very specific button for an experimental thing that was banned after three races so you need to bind it to something"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I bugged Veeg to do it and he did it in 30 seconds lol

Spelling error included :kiss:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KillHour posted:

"This one indy car in the 90s had a very specific button for an experimental thing that was banned after three races so you need to bind it to something"

I always enjoy the secondary brake binding in AMS2 that’s only used by one car.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bUm posted:

This cropped up in YT recommendeds and may be neat to people talking about Le Mans recently. An onboard lap guide from 1956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRFagIbcPE

1950's streamer technology

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

bUm posted:

GPLaps with some 50s Le Mans stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3UPjGhm4tE&t=3s

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

bUm posted:

For a moment I got confused between 1955 and 1956 Le Mans and was a bit weirded out.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Same

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Bentai posted:

Fanatec CSL w/ load cell on the way. :getin:

Held off on other upgrades for now--temptation is high though w/ much disposable income with the job switch (2 weeks overlap, old PTO payout, signing bonus, much higher salary). :retrogames:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm working a DIY sim rig right now and I think my ergonomics are way off. I swear I remember seeing a dimensioned drawing for a race seat but I can't find it through search or in the last few pages.

Does anyone remember posting that or see it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm working a DIY sim rig right now and I think my ergonomics are way off. I swear I remember seeing a dimensioned drawing for a race seat but I can't find it through search or in the last few pages.

Does anyone remember posting that or see it?

You're looking for the dimensions of the seat itself or of a whole rig?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

You're looking for the dimensions of the seat itself or of a whole rig?

I remember it being a side view with seat height, seat angle, seat back angle, and pedal positions noted with dimensions. Some of them were probably ranges to account for different users.

I might be totally misremembering though, I've been doing some unrelated furniture design and see diagrams like that once in awhile.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I remember it being a side view with seat height, seat angle, seat back angle, and pedal positions noted with dimensions. Some of them were probably ranges to account for different users.

I might be totally misremembering though, I've been doing some unrelated furniture design and see diagrams like that once in awhile.

That's going to be so specific to the height of the driver that I can't imagine finding something with exact spatial relationships would work. I don't think I've seen that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What I did when I built my diy rig was measure my car and I used that as a starting point.

Distance from the seat to the pedals, seat to the wheel, pedals to wheel, stuff like that

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I did when I built my diy rig was measure my car and I used that as a starting point.

Distance from the seat to the pedals, seat to the wheel, pedals to wheel, stuff like that

I was going to do that but then totaled my car a few weeks ago :ughh:

The specific problem I'm trying to solve is that my pedals are aggravating a knee problem. I think I'm using my shin muscles to avoid riding the brake, but that's straining my patella over an hour or two of racing. I think my pedals are way too low relative to my chair but I don't have a good reference.

I don't left foot brake IRL driving so this has never been an issue.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If you have load cell pedals, calibrate the zero/rest position with your foot resting comfortably on the brake, or even applying a tiny touch of pressure, if you want to err on the side of caution. Now you can completely rest your foot while driving without riding the brake, as you'll need to actually apply pressure to trigger them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I was going to do that but then totaled my car a few weeks ago :ughh:

The specific problem I'm trying to solve is that my pedals are aggravating a knee problem. I think I'm using my shin muscles to avoid riding the brake, but that's straining my patella over an hour or two of racing. I think my pedals are way too low relative to my chair but I don't have a good reference.

I don't left foot brake IRL driving so this has never been an issue.

In addition to what the goon above me said, I find this means you're laying down too much in the position, and maybe that your pedal "tray" is too upright. With your heel resting on the plate, the ball of your foot should be resting comfortably on the pedal. If it's pulled back or you feel like you have to pull it back with your 'shin muscles' you're going to hate using it.. You really want to be up in a GT seated position

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

You absolutely want a normal car/get style seating position not a formula/open wheel seating position, I got really bad leg pain until I figured that out.

And thirding brake pedal deadzone part,it should be very comfortable to rest your foot against the brake pedal for long periods (without dragging it in-sim)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, single seater seating positions are a huge compromise for performance gain and a lot of them can only be maintained because the drivers are super fit in the first place. If you don't need to make yourself fit in a car, go for comfort every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah you won’t get any faster by laying down. Build that thing like a Cadillac if you can