Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm sure there's problems in the AEW threads but beyond being one of the people called out in Lid's post the general premise seems wrong because this subforum is very popular for these forums which are in obvious and undeniable decline, and the AEW thread is the most popular. That doesn't mean it's good, but it's definitely not standing in the way of PSP increasing in popularity, and it's not standing in the way of even Lid posting there because Lid posts in it more than anyone. Just seems like if there were an actual major problem it would lead to the person angriest about it posting less, not more.

At the end of the day I don't post a ton in my own thread because people get into a lot of emotional derails that I don't really want to take part in, but like, that's fine if people want to post about that stuff it's ok because that's what the thread is for. And it doesn't seem like anyone in particular is trying to run anyone else in particular off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

somebody in that thread loves buying Trump avs for people who speak out against Trump stuff maybe a liiittle too much, that's for drat sure.

Maybe y'all can take that up with the Admins to resolve that issue, as I don't think we're going to get to the bottom of it here by vaguely insinuating that its probably someone in the imagined cabal that bought it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lids big whiny effortpost was mega embarrassing and flat out wrong, especially calling out yea ok, the most chill poster here. Mortifying

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Getting dunked on for posting dumbass opinions isn’t harassment, it’s the consequences of posting dumbass opinions.

Lord knows I’ve been on the receiving end more than once, and I still maintain Wild Thing loving sucks as a theme.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t think anyone in actual sound mind and good faith could claim MRT is a bully. An insane claim.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I'm sure there's problems in the AEW threads but beyond being one of the people called out in Lid's post the general premise seems wrong because this subforum is very popular for these forums which are in obvious and undeniable decline, and the AEW thread is the most popular. That doesn't mean it's good, but it's definitely not standing in the way of PSP increasing in popularity, and it's not standing in the way of even Lid posting there because Lid posts in it more than anyone. Just seems like if there were an actual major problem it would lead to the person angriest about it posting less, not more.

How do you know Lid's the person most upset by it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pylons posted:

I don't really recall that poster saying that they received any "Trump like" harassment online, they just compared the wrestlers to edgy teenagers.

Looking back at it you're right, the initial post Livid made was simply saying that they reminded them of Trump or that kind of "edgelord" behavior. It was after someone gave them a Trump av that they talked about how they felt threatened by Trump and the people who support him. But I also feel like this kind of quibbling. Its still that LividLiquid had an unpopular opinion and the response to it was a lot of general thread insults and dismissiveness but also someone spending money to give them a lasting bit of harassment. And like... that's just a bad atmosphere, isn't it?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I admit a couple of weeks ago I got riled and said something really mean to EMF because of a light hearted joke post they made. It was totally on me and nothing they said deserved that level of personal insult and I was rightly probed for it. Sometimes it's nice to realize just because someone made you mad it doesn't make them a toxic poster, sometimes you can be angry and also totally in the wrong like I was. I am on the spectrum and obviously sometimes read way to much into things, but sometimes you just gotta take a breath, take the L and realize you were acting like a dope and just move on. For your own benefit, if nothing else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thanlis posted:

Because they posted a long, weird post where they called people out about it. If there are people madder about the thread who aren't posting about it, so be it but generally when you are the one posting and calling people out you are the maddest online.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

Looking back at it you're right, the initial post Livid made was simply saying that they reminded them of Trump or that kind of "edgelord" behavior. It was after someone gave them a Trump av that they talked about how they felt threatened by Trump and the people who support him. But I also feel like this kind of quibbling. Its still that LividLiquid had an unpopular opinion and the response to it was a lot of general thread insults and dismissiveness but also someone spending money to give them a lasting bit of harassment. And like... that's just a bad atmosphere, isn't it?

Again, you should take that up with the Admins in QCS to get to the bottom of that mystery, because trying to pin it on *gestures vaguely at all of the posters I don't like* isn't really helpful at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

Also worth including the context that Livid is trans and the threat of transphobic violence from Trump supporters is very real

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Fsmhunk posted:

I admit a couple of weeks ago I got riled and said something really mean to EMF because of a light hearted joke post they made. It was totally on me and nothing they said deserved that level of personal insult and I was rightly probed for it. Sometimes it's nice to realize just because someone made you mad it doesn't make them a toxic poster, sometimes you can be angry and also totally in the wrong like I was. I am on the spectrum and obviously sometimes read way to much into things, but sometimes you just gotta take a breath, take the L and realize you were acting like a dope and just move on. For your own benefit, if nothing else.

I didn't know you got probed and I forget the mean thing, but thank you for saying that. we can be friends, I can definitely be annoying and I don't blame anyone for occasionally tell me to F off. Over the years I have tried to scale back what I have thought to be gentle ribbing but people are so vastly different personality wise one person's rib is another person's insult and I can let it get out of hand. I want to continue to be kinder because the world genuinely needs people to start being even 1% kinder if they can, it's rough out here.

But yea glad we're cool, hit me up anytime if I cross a line with my goofing or call me out if i'm getting worked up. I wanna be available to hear others thoughts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Again, you should take that up with the Admins in QCS to get to the bottom of that mystery, because trying to pin it on *gestures vaguely at all of the posters I don't like* isn't really helpful at all.

I think its fundamentally the atmosphere. A bunch of posters looking to dunk on someone just kind of results in someone deciding the way they can dunk on them is by buying an av. Do I love the SA forum culture of buying people harassing avs? No. But that specific issue isn't really what we're talking about. If it had been an isolated act of harassment it would have stood out. But it was just kind of a run of people getting in their shots. Maybe the av was "too far" but maybe its just not great that a bunch of people reacted this way and treated someone like this.

And as I already said I don't think anything is accomplished by calling out individual posters. So I don't know who you're responding to there.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you EMF. :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I myself did PM a mod and was told that

quote:

Standard policy is that unless the av is particularly bad (like not work safe in some way), blanking an av someone spent money on is bad form.

also that they were asking about it. Never heard any more.

Thanlis posted:

Yah that's the thing. The people most upset by it probably aren't posting anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, rationally Lid is just the one who still feels the forums are worth posting in and fighting for. Others are explicitly saying they don't.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

I think its fundamentally the atmosphere. A bunch of posters looking to dunk on someone just kind of results in someone deciding the way they can dunk on them is by buying an av. Do I love the SA forum habit of buying people harassing avs? No. But that specific issue isn't really what we're talking about. If it had been an isolated act of harassment it would have stood out. But it was just kind of a run of people getting in their shots. Maybe the av was "too far" but maybe its just not great that a bunch of people reacted this way and treated someone like this.

And as I already said I don't think anything is accomplished by calling out individual posters. So I don't know who you're responding to there.

I'm addressing that there is a list of people being circulated creating a toxic atmosphere and the purchased avatar keeps being brought up in the same breath. It doesn't really belong in this conversation. There are a lot of toxic lurkers here too that pop up from time to time, like the various Cornette stans that were run off, who still sometimes make one off posts or vandalize the guessing game submission forms and whatnot. It's just as likely to be one of those posters so I don't really understand what we're accomplishing by re-litigating it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to be making up a fake situation. it's to see if i understand problems that Are had.

person 1: man i really hated that show.
person 2 (good-natured teasing): [quotes person 1] absolute gutterball!
person 3 (being mean): [quotes person 1] do you even watch the show?

person 1 feels unwelcome and doesn't want to post here due to both poster 2 and poster 3. both of those posters are also thought to be either coordinating saying those things or very in-tune with eachother and trying to keep the forum a certain way rather than just doing what they want.

is this what is on trial to be fixed here? or what's going on? insulting people personally or calling for their ban/removal should not be used as a tool in combatting whatever it is. just point out legit issues. if it's pushing people out of here to have their words criticized or joked about then try criticizing the words of those who are doing that rather than talking about how they shouldn't be allowed to be intimidating. we don't go up to somebody and say they have resting bitch face and need to gtfo. when people poo poo-talk me i take it in stride because i get what is even happening and i might even deserve it. but would anyone here feel cool with being told their vibe shouldn't be allowed here and that's pretty much all you are told? edit: this isn't happening to me to be clear. i sugg rear end and have bad posts for sure

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 20, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm addressing that there is a list of people being circulated creating a toxic atmosphere and the purchased avatar keeps being brought up in the same breath. It doesn't really belong in this conversation. There are a lot of toxic lurkers / inactive posters here too that pop up from time to time, like the various Cornette stans that were run off, who still sometimes make one off posts or vandalize the guessing game submission forms and whatnot. It's just as likely to be one of those posters so I don't really understand what we're accomplishing by re-litigating it.

It just came up so I addressed it. I think you could probably go to any AEW thread any week and find examples of people making civil seemingly good faith posts and being responded to by a bunch of mocking and insulting posts. I'd do that to provide examples but again, that would be specifically singling out posters and I don't think that's helpful or especially relevant. Because this issue isn't one or two incidents. Its just a general forum attitude.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2022

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Because they posted a long, weird post where they called people out about it. If there are people madder about the thread who aren't posting about it, so be it but generally when you are the one posting and calling people out you are the maddest online.

You're the maddest person (or, put differently, the unhappiest person) who's still posting about it on this forum, yes.

Look: you're a good poster and I value your contributions to this forum a ton. You do way more than I do, and I sincerely appreciate it. But please don't fall into the trap of saying "well, if people don't like X, why aren't more people complaining about it?" Sometimes -- might or might not be the case here -- it's because the people who hate it left!

And to be crystal clear, sometimes that's a good thing. This forum doesn't have a white supremacist problem and I hope any and all fascists feel uncomfortable and unhappy in as many places as possible. But I don't ever pretend I'm not happy to alienate the people I want to alienate.

Which, to also be crystal clear, isn't actually anyone involved in this discussion. If I didn't give a gently caress I'd just dunk on people.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

blunt posted:

Lids posts were a pretty accurate description of the weekly AEW thread IMO.

STAC Goat posted:

With AEW I think there's an increased issue that there's a passionate fanbase of the company and passionate fanbases sometimes act overzealously or irrationally. Some fans get over defensive and tie their own fandom or connection to AEW into criticisms about AEW. And some people just don't want to hear anything negative or critical about their team because they enjoy their team in all or nothing standards. And that's become a big part of the sub's identity. "Always bad" and all. There tends to be an either group consensus love or a group consensus hate for X and if you're against that consensus its not really worth speaking up because you'll just be met with hostility and insults no matter how you approach it.

I used the term "clubhouse" because I do think there's some posters who really seem to feel like the these threads are their hang out zones and when the conversation goes somewhere they don't like instead of just ignoring it and letting it run its course they scream and insult and shitpost to gently caress it all up and shift it back where they want.

Its just an unwelcoming atmosphere.

These are my thoughts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm addressing that there is a list of people being circulated creating a toxic atmosphere and the purchased avatar keeps being brought up in the same breath. It doesn't really belong in this conversation. There are a lot of toxic lurkers / inactive posters here too that pop up from time to time, like the various Cornette stans that were run off, who still sometimes make one off posts or vandalizing the guessing game spreadsheets and whatnot. It's just as likely to be one of those posters so I don't really understand what we're accomplishing by re-litigating it.
That's a fair point, and I don't mean to weigh the two things against each other like "someone wrote a list!" "well someone else bought a Trump avatar!" But I also don't think it's entirely irrelevant because this stuff happens in around specifically the AEW threads from what I can observe.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a fair point, and I don't mean to weigh the two things against each other like "someone wrote a list!" "well someone else bought a Trump avatar!" But I also don't think it's entirely irrelevant because this stuff happens in around specifically the AEW threads from what I can observe.

I actually don't think it's just the AEW weekly thread; that's just a really active thread so it's obvious. EMF pointed out that the WWE thread can be toxic and he's not wrong. I've seen people get a lot of poo poo for being passionate on the NJPW thread -- rare (more so these days because who watches NJPW any more?) but it happens.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think I'm a very funny poster and demand everyone pump me up in the AEW thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

someone bought me the mr stink text under my av because of my smell

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I myself did PM a mod and was told that

also that they were asking about it. Never heard any more.

Yah that's the thing. The people most upset by it probably aren't posting anymore.

I don't have any trust in the mods anymore. They are the ones that make me feel unwelcome

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanlis posted:

I actually don't think it's just the AEW weekly thread; that's just a really active thread so it's obvious. EMF pointed out that the WWE thread can be toxic and he's not wrong. I've seen people get a lot of poo poo for being passionate on the NJPW thread -- rare (more so these days because who watches NJPW any more?) but it happens.
well I'm not personally reading those, so :v:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think its fundamentally the atmosphere. A bunch of posters looking to dunk on someone just kind of results in someone deciding the way they can dunk on them is by buying an av. Do I love the SA forum culture of buying people harassing avs? No. But that specific issue isn't really what we're talking about. If it had been an isolated act of harassment it would have stood out. But it was just kind of a run of people getting in their shots. Maybe the av was "too far" but maybe its just not great that a bunch of people reacted this way and treated someone like this.

I went back and read that whole incident and it wasn't people getting their shots in, it was people telling LL that they were projecting and their image of the Acclaimed was really off from what was being presented on screen or being insulted at the vague inference that liking the Acclaimed meant you like Trump. I don't think LL meant that last part but instead of assuming people misunderstood LL's point and clarifying they posted

quote:

Y'all, when somebody says why they don't enjoy a thing, you don't need to act like the #1 show on cable on Wednesdays is going to be cancelled unless the group as a whole on one tiny forum shouts to that person why their entirely subjective experience of a thing is wrong.

An act whose premise is being edgelord douchebags rubs me the wrong way because I was an edgelord douchebag and seeing it isn't in any way entertaining to me. I put that poo poo on the tin. I didn't hide it.

It's one act I don't enjoy for several reasons and I'm allowed to not enjoy it. Jesus gently caress. Join a cult.

And during all that mess an AV was bought.

Maybe both "sides" whatever the gently caress they are should just realize the written word is pretty messy and just because you posted in "good faith" doesn't mean anyone knows what you're talking about or understands your point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thanlis posted:

Yeah, I think its a problem all over. Its amped up in the AEW threads because of how active they are and how passionate people get about AEW.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

I don't have any trust in the mods anymore. They are the ones that make me feel unwelcome

You ate a couple probs for a social faux pas.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think a lot of stuff in AEW is really really bad and I say it in the threads and a few people call me a dumb idiot but I don’t take it personally because it’s just wrestling forum online

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just want to know why i was put on the list

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

single issue poster over here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel less harassed and unwelcomed by a week probe from the owner of this site because he found my post annoying than most of you do for being told people don't agree with your opinion.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It's because you're a jabronie mark without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot ,mark

At least that's what the hulkster told me

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I can vaguely see the logic of me being on the list, I must have razzed the wrong person at the wrong time once or twice, but you, MRT, and Cav are insane additions.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

oh man, if only you knew it'd blow your mind

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Cavauro is the most consistently best poster in this place, probably.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I enjoy most of the content AEW puts out and most of the suggestions people seem to make to improve the show would make it actively worse for me so I'm naturally going to disagree with those suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NienNunb posted:

I can vaguely see the logic of me being on the list, I must have razzed the wrong person at the wrong time once or twice, but you, MRT, and Cav are insane additions.

razzing people's takes or posts isn't harassment though, which is why this whole thing is hilarious and weird to me

then again in the combat sports threads we don't seem to have half as many issues with this sort of stuff and have a lot of the same posters who are somehow the bullies so maybe i have been bullied by them and never knew