Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

PSA for Ausgoons: Advent Games is having a big EOFY sale at the moment and all of their AH products are discounted, with the entire Innsmouth line being particularly cheap (and also Harvey's starter pack, for some reason).

Board Game Oracle tracks a lot of AU/NZ vendors, too, and it looks like The Gamesmen has the EotE investigator box for $44.95 at the moment, which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

resting bort face posted:

When folks on arkhamdb.com say a deck is good for "solo," do they mean literally one investigator or do they mean "one person playing two-, three-, or four-handed?"

Because I took several hours today to try https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/37358/akachi-ony-elemental-mage-beginner-deck-guide-series-1.0 and ate poo poo over and over and over again on the first two scenarios of Carcosa. The best run I could manage was 9 xp and 2 physical trauma.

A friend of mine tried that deck in a two player 19xp standalone scenario and I'll be honest, I don't see how it is supposed to work. Akachi doesn't really have enough fight to make the dragon pole work reliably and the set up took so long that my lovely Lola deck did most of the investigating and fighting.

Edit: 9xp and 2 trauma isn't the worst result for Carcosa. Ideally you get all of the xp in the first scenario without advancing far enough along to add negative tokens to the bag and then get killed while the boss is dead. Doing so makes the second scenario significantly easier, which let's you pick up enough xp to get ahead of the curve and start steamrolling the campaign. The more xp you get early the easier it'll be to get all the xp in the future scenarios. Trauma isn't a huge deal.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 18, 2022

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
My TCU campaign is about to draw to a close next session. Grandma Gloria's cursed True Magic and Daniela "The Wall" Reyes are about to go Against the Black Throne. I think these are the two most busted decks we've made so far.

Dream Eaters comes next, and I have no idea who to play in that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Zoe with all the explosies.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Orange Devil posted:

Zoe with all the explosies.

Highly recommend this, especially for Dream Eaters if you play Zoey on the Dream Quest side of things, there are like two dozen opportunities for her to just mulch an entire room of mob spawns from a room away

She's fantastic at mitigating the swarm mechanic, as well, which shows up very often

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

postmodifier posted:

Highly recommend this, especially for Dream Eaters if you play Zoey on the Dream Quest side of things, there are like two dozen opportunities for her to just mulch an entire room of mob spawns from a room away

She's fantastic at mitigating the swarm mechanic, as well, which shows up very often

Most of the swarms are on the waking side. I think she'd do better staying awake in the hospital instead of doing the dream quest.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Most of the swarms are on the waking side. I think she'd do better staying awake in the hospital instead of doing the dream quest.

I think web of dreams has the potential for bigger swarms, but dream quest has tons of smaller ones that pop up constantly - nightriders, a kabillion zoogs, vooniths, etc

The design of the dreamside campaigns also has a lot of opportunities where mobs spawn distantly from you on setup, where the ability to just melt a room down before you even set foot in it is pretty great

She'd be great in both, but that's not saying much because Zoey is incredible in literally every scenario except miskatonic museum, basically

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I mean all the explosives. Dynamite, grenades, if it goes boom bring it. Maybe a flamethrower.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Maybe I'll go back to Tommy, he wasn't working out for TFA so I switched. But him with explosives sounds fun. "Accidental" ordinance on his allies wouldn't be backbreaking

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Just to make the Zoey recommendation for Dream-Eaters explicit, she has a particularly good interaction with the Swarming mechanic:

:homebrew:

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit: 9xp and 2 trauma isn't the worst result for Carcosa. Ideally you get all of the xp in the first scenario without advancing far enough along to add negative tokens to the bag and then get killed while the boss is dead. Doing so makes the second scenario significantly easier, which let's you pick up enough xp to get ahead of the curve and start steamrolling the campaign. The more xp you get early the easier it'll be to get all the xp in the future scenarios. Trauma isn't a huge deal.

My current project is revisiting Return to Carcosa and Curtain Call is absolutely brutal. It's been a real adventure building a couple of decks that can consistently pick up a bunch of XP from it, though I am being pretty stubborn in my choice of enemy handler. I must've played it at least 20 times so far and the number of ways it can just royally gently caress you no matter what are kind of impressive, but I think I've shaved off most of the rough edges now.

In a trial run of the first few scenarios I was surprised at how little XP you get from two and three, which consequently made me return to Curtain Call with Delve Too Deep. Also, one of the replacement sets for Return removed two VP enemies and I don't think any XP got added back from other new stuff, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

If I make it through this campaign I might write it up because I've enjoyed the deck building process a lot (which really is half the fun of the game in general). And speaking of, I reserved the second post when I made the OP and I was thinking about doing a general deck building guide because the thread has seen a bunch of new players since the Revised Core came out. I was also thinking of doing brief bits on each of the investigators from the repackaged boxes as they're released, like saying what they're good at and/or recommending particular cards and such. Would anyone like to see something like that, or something else?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Delve is especially good in Carcosa 2, where there’s an explicitly available exit and push your luck mechanic.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Zoey talk: :eyepop: didn't think that was the way that worked. Might have to amend my choice if I get to be the monster manager in this campaign.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zoey gets a free use of dynamite every time a swarm shows up. It is amazing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KPC_Mammon posted:

Zoey gets a free use of dynamite every time a swarm shows up. It is amazing.

Then you can drop "I've Had Worse" and get even more money.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Slight of Hand some grenades in for when you want to save up some cash for the big dynamite turns, and just go to town with like a BAR otherwise. Might be fun

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Douche Phoenix posted:

Zoey talk: :eyepop: didn't think that was the way that worked. Might have to amend my choice if I get to be the monster manager in this campaign.

If you can get her signature cross out as well, she can drop one stack off the smaller swarms for free, which is especially great for the inconspicuous zoog, who disengages and runs away when you kill one of them so you can re-farm the engage money a couple times more

Also a big fan of slotting a "let God sort them out..." on stick to the plan for those wonderful turns when you can turn a well-placed dynamite into a free victory point

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The mate I play with just bought Edge of the Earth, so I'm definitely going to play as my favourite Mansions of Madness character: Lily Chen.

My Joe Diamond survived the Circle Undone and Dunwich Legacy, plus The Blob and Hotel Excelsior, but he needs to retire now as he only has one point of sanity and five health. He has four weaknesses in his deck. He's earned his rest.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Quote-Unquote posted:

The mate I play with just bought Edge of the Earth, so I'm definitely going to play as my favourite Mansions of Madness character: Lily Chen.

My Joe Diamond survived the Circle Undone and Dunwich Legacy, plus The Blob and Hotel Excelsior, but he needs to retire now as he only has one point of sanity and five health. He has four weaknesses in his deck. He's earned his rest.

Wait wait wait, you keep all the baggage and leveling up and stuff between campaigns? I thought you reset when you started a new campaign. (Sorry, new to the game.)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

CitizenKeen posted:

Wait wait wait, you keep all the baggage and leveling up and stuff between campaigns? I thought you reset when you started a new campaign. (Sorry, new to the game.)

No, no, you're right. You're meant to reset between campaigns.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh really? It's not my game, my mate said I could continue. Hence having a whole bunch of trauma and extra weaknesses going in. He played a new character, as his first one was dead.

I often barely squeaked by despite having a levelled up deck, which was pretty fun.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

There is a set of optional rules for carrying over investigators between campaigns, but most people don't use them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

There is a set of optional rules for carrying over investigators between campaigns, but most people don't use them.

That must be it. I didn't question it, because all three campaigns we played ended with survivors having trauma, like "you can carry on with this guy but you're gonna struggle and might end up having to make a brand new guy mid campaign".

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Finished up TCU today, got absolutely wiped by the final scenario. Not surprising because our character builds and party composition weren’t great, and we had unfavorable outcomes for most of the preceding scenarios.

My group wants to run TCU again. Carolyn Fern is going to be sticking around in a support flex role, but the rest is undecided. It will either be a cluever and fighter or two more flexes again, depending on what the other player selects.

Does Return to TCU make the campaign significantly harder? I’m interested in it for the storage space, the tarot card method of skipping the prelude, and the extra tarot cards. But we don’t really need a difficulty bump from using the return to encounter sets.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It doesn’t make it harder but it does add some damage and agility tests. People with a lot of mobility will do well here.

In terms of damage, it might not be a bad idea if Carolyn is coming to have everyone grab pain pills, because they’re extremely profitable with the good doctor.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

It doesn’t make it harder but it does add some damage and agility tests. People with a lot of mobility will do well here.

In terms of damage, it might not be a bad idea if Carolyn is coming to have everyone grab pain pills, because they’re extremely profitable with the good doctor.

How do you figure? Carolyn needs to be controlling the healing card for her effect to pop, right? So the other players having painkillers shouldn’t matter.

And I’ve heard as much re: return to tcu, which is a good thing. I was playing Joe Diamond last run, with the idea being that suffering lots of horror would be mitigated with Carolyn around, but as it turned out, TCU tends to do more abstract things to punish failed will tests than just dish horror.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Anonymous Robot posted:

How do you figure? Carolyn needs to be controlling the healing card for her effect to pop, right? So the other players having painkillers shouldn’t matter.

And I’ve heard as much re: return to tcu, which is a good thing. I was playing Joe Diamond last run, with the idea being that suffering lots of horror would be mitigated with Carolyn around, but as it turned out, TCU tends to do more abstract things to punish failed will tests than just dish horror.

They use the painkillers, then Carolyn heals the horror.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh, yeah.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can keep investigators between campaigns for all of those sweet sweet XP gains but usually it isn't worth it with all of trauma that they endure.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

jeeves posted:

You can keep investigators between campaigns for all of those sweet sweet XP gains but usually it isn't worth it with all of trauma that they endure.

Calvin erasure

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
I think the fact that we're playing two high willpower investigators in TCU is why neither of us have any trauma past Gloria's 2 arcane learning traumas. That and we've already technically win the campaign. I'm being on this last scenario deleting us.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
I may have inadvertently discovered a hugely broken interaction with using multiple archive of conduits? The unidentified version is a tome, but the upgraded version is not, so you can't use things like library docent to recur it and get more leylines. But uh, leylines are leylines, regardless of their provenance. So all you need to do is have one investigator with an upgraded gateway to acheron, which comes with 4 leylines, the idea being that you get 4 choices of where to play them, one at a time, as a fast action, on a given map, and only at revealed locations

but uh, level 0 archive, when it comes into play, just straight up places 4 leylines on any 4 locations you want, regardless of if they are revealed or not, and since it's both a tome and an item, is easily recyclable via many various mechanics

so if you wanted to, you can cover the entire map in leylines in short order and just have your upgrade-holder be able to literally teleport everyone, everywhere, whenever for the cost of a mere action as long as that location eventually becomes revealed. which it will, because that person is also zipping all over the map flipping every room

and then if you want, you can burn the leyline for a free investigate action, and since you can pretty much pump out leylines like you're running a counterfeit operation, who cares, just replace it and keep rolling

hell, even zoey can take archive of conduits level 0

I added ethereal slip and astral travel to the package as well today, and this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in arkham and I absolutely love it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Post it on the dB!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Trip report, two more scenarios in my 3P live game. Players were Roland (me), Agnes, and Wendy. Cardpool was just Revised Core.

Scenario 1: The Devourer Below (Night of the Zealot 3)

Great third teaching scenario. We were close to losing, I was about to Resign, and Agnes' player noted a plan that would give us a real chance. We pulled it off, and highlighted to me to never give up, never surrender.

We had struggled to clear The Midnight Masks, so we still had three extant cultists, but they were the cultists that would have been easy enough to clear. Agnes was able to Evade Ruth, Wendy paid off Victoria, and Roland discarded his hand to deal with Herman.

Got into the Ritual Cave. Roland was dealing with both Dreams of Ry'leh and also Frozen in Fear, so I was useless. But there were few enemies. Wendy and Agnes clued up, then when we were about to watch Umôrdhoth, Agnes pointed out that she and Wendy had five clues between them, we were all in the same location, and that if we dumped our hands to ensure we passed, they could probably get all five clues on the Act.

Success!

We ended up neither taking the XP for victory nor the two mental trauma, and moved on to

Scenario 2: The Curse of the Rougarou (Standalone)

We got stomped. It was quick and brutal.
  1. Be me. Be Roland.
  2. Eat two horror in early Treacheries
  3. Get the Curse of the Rougarou with no enemies on board. Three horror.
  4. Head toward the Rougarou; you're one location away but not there yet
  5. Draw a Beast of the Bayou and go insane.
  6. Bonus: Also kill an Agnes who had been cavalier with their low health.
Ended up taking longer to set up and tear down than to play. Mildly frustrating, but overall even more infatuated with this game. Absolute delight, good night had by three goons.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The curse, being the first standalone scenario, is probably the worst.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My early Roland tech was to bring Art Students and Laboratory Assistants to act as ablative horror soak while also providing value when played. They really help him survive the mythos phase.

At one point I was even running Calling in Favors from Carcosa to help Roland meet more ladies.

On normal difficulty you don't need the bonus fight from beat cops and the card draw/clues/cheaper horror soak ends up being really great

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Ooh, that's some good tech. No available in Core, but good tech.

I'm going to play Roland again some day, but up next is the Back-to-Back-Jack Power Hour (Dunwich Legacy with Jacqueline Fine, then we're probably going to do Edge of the Earth and I'll be Monterrey Jack).

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CitizenKeen posted:

Trip report, two more scenarios in my 3P live game. Players were Roland (me), Agnes, and Wendy. Cardpool was just Revised Core.

Scenario 1: The Devourer Below (Night of the Zealot 3)

Great third teaching scenario. We were close to losing, I was about to Resign, and Agnes' player noted a plan that would give us a real chance. We pulled it off, and highlighted to me to never give up, never surrender.

We had struggled to clear The Midnight Masks, so we still had three extant cultists, but they were the cultists that would have been easy enough to clear. Agnes was able to Evade Ruth, Wendy paid off Victoria, and Roland discarded his hand to deal with Herman.

Got into the Ritual Cave. Roland was dealing with both Dreams of Ry'leh and also Frozen in Fear, so I was useless. But there were few enemies. Wendy and Agnes clued up, then when we were about to watch Umôrdhoth, Agnes pointed out that she and Wendy had five clues between them, we were all in the same location, and that if we dumped our hands to ensure we passed, they could probably get all five clues on the Act.

Success!

We ended up neither taking the XP for victory nor the two mental trauma, and moved on to

Scenario 2: The Curse of the Rougarou (Standalone)

We got stomped. It was quick and brutal.
  1. Be me. Be Roland.
  2. Eat two horror in early Treacheries
  3. Get the Curse of the Rougarou with no enemies on board. Three horror.
  4. Head toward the Rougarou; you're one location away but not there yet
  5. Draw a Beast of the Bayou and go insane.
  6. Bonus: Also kill an Agnes who had been cavalier with their low health.
Ended up taking longer to set up and tear down than to play. Mildly frustrating, but overall even more infatuated with this game. Absolute delight, good night had by three goons.

I object to being called cavalier with my health. HP are a resource, and the scenario has "free" healing. I place all blame on that incredibly goofy treachery and us spending 3 turns sitting around in the bog spinning our wheels while getting bit by crocs.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

My early Roland tech was to bring Art Students and Laboratory Assistants to act as ablative horror soak while also providing value when played. They really help him survive the mythos phase.

At one point I was even running Calling in Favors from Carcosa to help Roland meet more ladies

Back in the day my group ran this tech and called it The Expendables. We usually ran it on Jim so we could run the cheap red allies like Madame Lebranche and Peter. Worked great for several expansions until the card pool overtook it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
According to a recent Reddit post, someone at FFG has confirmed that there is currently no plans for a Return to Dream Eaters product.

gently caress man, whoever makes good quality fan-made knock offs of the box design is going to make bank for all of us with the sunk cost of wanting to invest in the Return To's for mostly JUST for the physical boxes alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That's disappointing, but with the shift to the new big box model they probably would have waited until the Dream-Eaters re-release before doing it anyway. I'm going to assume they have a new product of some kind in the works otherwise AH releases will consist of a single set and a Gencon pack per year, and that seems a bit, I dunno, light?

They did a Create-a-Card stream today and this was the result:

quote:

Alice Luxley, level 2, 3 cost
She is now a 2/4, and if she takes horror damage during an investigator's turn, your location gets -2 shroud for he rest of the turn in addition to her old abilities.

Dragon Pole: Level 3 Mystic/Guardian
2 arcane slots now, and if you initiate/succeed at an attack (They are going to playtesting both), take the top card of your deck and put it face down in an arcane slot as a blank asset. If that card is removed from play, add it to your hand instead.

Both cards should be available in a print and play format later today, and like previous community created cards they should appear in a future set. People are expecting the XP Guard Dog (and maybe Flashlight) from a few years ago to appear in The Scarlet Keys.

Oh, and one other tidbit of information was that apparently someone suggested a low XP Chuck Fergus at the start of the stream and MJ responded with "Hmm, what an interesting idea..."

Here's hoping spoiler season begins tomorrow!