Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

After straight dominating the top 10, this month is the first where Marvel doesn't have a single issue in it and the only way they got in there the prior month was because Ren and Stimpy.

Also Ken Lashley is a good dude in general and if he's at a con near you, he's always worth saying hi to.

I really like the tenuous reasons they recommend some of the "Comics to watch." Just absolute pump and dump level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think #18 was the first issue with no Marvel in the Top 10. It was the first one I noticed. And I can't be bothered to go look at the previous 17 before I hit the submit reply button so I must be right.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

X-O posted:

I think #18 was the first issue with no Marvel in the Top 10. It was the first one I noticed. And I can't be bothered to go look at the previous 17 before I hit the submit reply button so I must be right.

Issue 17 was still riding the Morbin high which also means issue 18 was all Morb'd up even if it wasn't listed because it's always morbin' time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RevKrule posted:

Issue 17 was still riding the Morbin high which also means issue 18 was all Morb'd up even if it wasn't listed because it's always morbin' time.

Let's just say next issue will be a big hit then. We're talking Multi-Page Morbin as only 1993 Wizard can do.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Top lols at Northstar being a diversity win... for Quebecois

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Top lols at Northstar being a diversity win... for Quebecois

French speakers the second most persecuted minority (after gamers), after all.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
This is an extremely fascinating look into a world that I never had any contact with, and the aging badly feels like all part of the wild ride. Do they end up doing that manga section talked about in the letters, and how well does that one go over?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Olympus posted:

This is an extremely fascinating look into a world that I never had any contact with, and the aging badly feels like all part of the wild ride. Do they end up doing that manga section talked about in the letters, and how well does that one go over?

Yes they do. I have no idea I never read it as that's never interested me. But I will post it when it starts. It's probably really bad and filled with stuff that is terrible! And you never know, just seeing it might have subconsciously caused me to dislike manga and anime. Something to think about for sure.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 21, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I can't imagine even excited/positive coverage in this style gives a good impression of the comics output of Japan, let alone coverage of the super limited range of comics that were even getting imported at the time.

But at the same time I'm kind of thinking, what if the wizard people really knew their stuff and everyone just sort of skipped over it while they were trying to boost actual good series? Going to be interesting to find out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #22 June 1993

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Morbin of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Yeah, This Again

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Random Ads

Bless Arcomics' little hearts. They're trying their best. Their best is just not good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Olympus posted:

I can't imagine even excited/positive coverage in this style gives a good impression of the comics output of Japan, let alone coverage of the super limited range of comics that were even getting imported at the time.

But at the same time I'm kind of thinking, what if the wizard people really knew their stuff and everyone just sort of skipped over it while they were trying to boost actual good series? Going to be interesting to find out.

Looking now at my files, Issue 27 is the first real article on Manga for Wizard so that'll be up this week. The monthly column, which is generally two to three pages, doesn't start until issue 44 which is a while off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh man Maximum Carnage is starting soon. I remember the video game. And also Shriek. I remember seeing the trade for it on sale at some second hand book shop a few years ago and have real buyers remorse not picking it up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Yep, I've been fascinated by how Marvel has dominated these first few years. 18 was the first, but now we have three months with 18, 21, and 22.

Also, that kid who drew the ninja turtle in 19 had to be trolling us. Purple bandana, swords, and using Mikey's catchphrase!!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Mister Olympus posted:

I recall the anime and manga section of Wizard being pretty good by the time I started reading the magazine (1994, maybe 1995). It was written by Carl Gustav Horn, who's a respected writer/editor/translator these days. They spotlighted a bunch of interesting series.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Quite a lot to agree with in that Claremont interview.

Been meaning to post that as someone up to 1992/3 in a Marvel read through it has been super interesting reading contemporary thoughts on comics I'm experiencing for the first time. Really enjoying this thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kid Fenris posted:

I recall the anime and manga section of Wizard being pretty good by the time I started reading the magazine (1994, maybe 1995). It was written by Carl Gustav Horn, who's a respected writer/editor/translator these days. They spotlighted a bunch of interesting series.

It had that thing of early Wizard where they'd talk about something interesting before giving way to just focusing on whatever was popular.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

Issue 20, April 1993

#5 Pitt #1 (duh): The only sales for this are parts of lots for an average cost of around a buck. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#6 Ren & Stimpy #1 (Low print run, and air de-fresheners): Being an early Dan Slott comic, I actually expected this might be worth a little bit today. But it's not. The only sales are in small dollar lots. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Simpsons Comics and Stories #1 (1993's hottest adult animation series gets its own comic series! How this not be a hot comic?): Bagged copies run $10-20. :mediocre:

Issue 21, May 1993

#4 X-O Manowar #4 (First appearance of Shadowman AND was in last month's Comic Watch :thunk:): Unslabbed copies around $4.50, slabbed about 10 times that. Barely beats being quarter bin fodder, but still a bad pick.
#6 Solar: Man of the Atom #14 (First appearance of Dr. Eclipse): No individual sales, and one lot averaging $2 per comic. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 22, June 1993

#6 Spawn #3 (Low print run): A slabbed 9.8 sold for $90, and an unslabbed copy sold in a lot with issues 1, 2, and 4 for $40 total. :mediocre: pick here, Wizard.
#7 Youngblood #2 (First appearance of Shadowhawk): This is a weird one. One copy sold for $20. Another for $10. A slabbed 9.5 sold for $15. I guess we can call this :mediocre:? Definitely not a good one.
#10 Batman: Sword of Azrael (First appearance of Azrael, soon to be Batman): Sits around the $5 range. Bad pick, but at least it's not stuck in the quarter bins.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #22 June 1993

Oh man, I got a subscription for my birthday in April of this year so this was the first issue I got. Read each month cover to cover, though I didn't realize that this was the first until that Vampirella drawing.

There's one great bit coming up in a few months I think. At the back of most months there was a 20 question interview splash page with an artist/writer one month that fell through so they had one of their staffers pose for a picture, created a fake name and filled all the questions with the most arrogant pompous poo poo they could think of. They've said they got hate mail about 'giving that rear end in a top hat exposure' for years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh man, I got a subscription for my birthday in April of this year so this was the first issue I got. Read each month cover to cover, though I didn't realize that this was the first until that Vampirella drawing.

There's one great bit coming up in a few months I think. At the back of most months there was a 20 question interview splash page with an artist/writer one month that fell through so they had one of their staffers pose for a picture, created a fake name and filled all the questions with the most arrogant pompous poo poo they could think of. They've said they got hate mail about 'giving that rear end in a top hat exposure' for years.

They do start doing some pretty drat good April's Fool Day gags for a few years that are fun where they'll have fake ads and mix in some obviously fake stuff into their normal sections.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

#7 Youngblood #2 (First appearance of Shadowhawk): This is a weird one. One copy sold for $20. Another for $10. A slabbed 9.5 sold for $15. I guess we can call this :mediocre:? Definitely not a good one.

Wild. Almost all early Image stuff was dollar bin fodder for us. Spawn was the exception.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

"Patrick Ewing actually makes a jump shot, and the Knicks win an important game."

Hey, Spider-Man had already been to Japan! The Spider-Man toku series was from the late 70s!

I don't blame Wizard for not knowing about that though, as far as I know it wasn't ever shown on American TV (unlike shows like Kikaider which were shown in Hawaii) and the internet was still in its infancy so it's not like Google or Wikipedia was around.

I'm also kind of curious what happened to Shogakukan publishing American comic books in Japan. I'm going to guess it didn't actually work out so well, but I can't really find much info on it.

Always fun seeing video game prices from the early 90s. 75-80 dollars for a Genesis game! That's more expensive than most AAA titles in the current day, and that's not even taking the nearly 30 years of inflation into account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Wild. Almost all early Image stuff was dollar bin fodder for us. Spawn was the exception.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that one. Who cares about Youngblood or Shadowhawk? Apparently like three people.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also kind of curious what happened to Shogakukan publishing American comic books in Japan. I'm going to guess it didn't actually work out so well, but I can't really find much info on it.

Always fun seeing video game prices from the early 90s. 75-80 dollars for a Genesis game! That's more expensive than most AAA titles in the current day, and that's not even taking the nearly 30 years of inflation into account.

I don't know about that effort in particular, but American comics do have a following in Japan. International books don't get much attention, but there are fans. I recall Spawn having a surprisingly big Japanese following.

As for games, it was expensive to make cartridges. But perhaps not as expensive as you might expect. I have a project where I'm documenting Japanese games and the prices are generally comparable to current games when I account for inflation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bringing back a lot of memories because this is the only way you could find solid info of whats coming up. Its also reminding me how much i hate "90s style" art in comics. Ugh there's a reason I could never get into Image comics.

Also I remember very distinctly going "why do they talk about Valiant so much?" not because I thought their comics were bad, but their comics lacked Wolverine, or Spider-man or even Batman. Even at 15 I was still just following characters.

That J Bone fanart is great, I will have to show it to the guys at the LCS here as they're all good friends. Also its a few years away but that store, Strange Adventures was voted best comic store in the world in Wizard.

I forget though, did Wizard have the toy theater or was that just in the Toybiz magazine?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I grew up in South Africa and the only comics I had access to was Marvel and DC (and I guess Archie). There was a comic shop that did sell Image comics and a sprinkling of other publishers but that was all the way out in a different suburb and the comics there cost about 3x what a DC/Marvel comic cost at the newstand. Anyway, with that said I had no idea about Valiant at all, or that it had so much hype behind it, or that people (or at least Wizard) thought that it would be the next big hot thing.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #20 April 1993

Fan Art! No future superstars in this issue. Nope. Second time for Chris Battle, who was mentioned earlier in the thread? Guess he was steady submitting covers.

Hey, Sandy Carruthers! Sandy drew the Men in Black comic they adapted the movie from, I own a couple pages of it. We hung out when I was back in PEI a couple weeks ago.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 23, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #23 July 1993

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Yeah, This Again

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile Debut of a neat feature going forward!

Random Ads

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fun fact: We had an entire box of nothing but Deathmate issues at the store. The only way we got rid of them was putting them out for an early Free Comic Book Day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Also I remember very distinctly going "why do they talk about Valiant so much?" not because I thought their comics were bad, but their comics lacked Wolverine, or Spider-man or even Batman. Even at 15 I was still just following characters.

I genuinely think that initially they were genuine fans. Valiant had a more writer focused approach at a time when other companies were going all in on "the penciler is the only thing that matters". And a lot of the talent there was slightly older, the guys who wrote and drew the comics that Wizard staffers read when they were 10.

It didn't take long for Wizard to find their niche in driving speculator hype, though...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love the Deathmate article saying they'll definitely be out on time, and really, Image's lateness issue isn't an issue at all. That early bit when Image was trying to be a singular universe is pretty interesting, but it's not too surprising that didn't last long for a variety of reasons. You can already see it falling apart with Jim Lee saying Homage Studios bowing out of any future crossovers.

Also the characters in Deathmate are owned by a whole bunch of companies now: Dynamite has Magnus and Solar, modern Valiant has the original Valiant characters, DC has all the Wildstorm characters, and the remaining Image characters are owned by their respective creators (Except maybe Youngblood? Did Liefeld lose those rights somehow?)

Early Valiant has some interesting ideas both in terms of storytelling and business. A lot of that left with Shooter, but their goal of being a singular, cohesive universe was an interesting one. They also had some really legit talent on both writing and art, which was nice.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 23, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, that Michael Allred pic has big time 'antagonist in a rom com' energy.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

X-O posted:

I have started scanning every issue front to back, excluding the useless price guides.

do I correctly recall that there used to be bonus humor content on the price guide pages?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Every time I see a group shot of the Leather Jacket Avengers, I always mistake Herc's weird puffy collar for enormous dreadlocks.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Was Ghost the only of the Comic’s Greatest World books that actually went anywhere?

(I remember being a kid and thinking X looked cool.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
hahahaa deathmate. I think I got the first issue but left for college in 1994 so didn't collect comics for probably five or six years

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

blast0rama posted:

Was Ghost the only of the Comic’s Greatest World books that actually went anywhere?

Barb Wire got a movie.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

blast0rama posted:

Barb Wire got a movie, but that was about it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And a TV show!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Parahexavoctal posted:

do I correctly recall that there used to be bonus humor content on the price guide pages?

Bonus might be too positive of a descriptor. There was sometimes extra 'humor' content interspersed through the price guide in tiny panels. Nobody's gonna miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

blast0rama posted:

X had an ongoing series for a while but it was even lower profile than Ghost.