Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Slugworth posted:

Romex isn't, so I'm not sure where exactly you'd use it.

I'd like to think I could tell that I was drilling into EMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sirotan posted:

What's the brand/model of the floor unit you had installed?

https://www.fujitsu-general.com/us/products/split/floor/agu9rlf.html

Pretty run of the mill budget friendly. I’m sure there are nicer options, and adding wifi was an extra ~$200 we declined, but it does the job for a guest floor that gets infrequent use.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm probably going to install myself whatever unit I end up getting. I have no doubt I can install one successfully in the space, the problem I have is a lack of wall space to mount the head unit. It's a 1.5 story house, two walls are 4' tall, the other walls are covered in cabinets or are in the stairwell. There is a single interior wall on the entire floor, I can likely route the electrical and coolant lines up into the ceiling then follow the roof down and out the house, and the drain line down into the basement. Floor unit would just be easier, logistically. Celling cassette would be the least obtrusive, potentially I could install one without needing a pump.

Edit: I will definitely take advantage of anywhere giving free install quotes, however

My second floor is a glorified storage at the moment so I'm not in a hurry to install this, and have no desire to get back into my attic until the outside temps are at least 30 degrees cooler.

The Dave posted:

https://www.fujitsu-general.com/us/products/split/floor/agu9rlf.html

Pretty run of the mill budget friendly. I’m sure there are nicer options, and adding wifi was an extra ~$200 we declined, but it does the job for a guest floor that gets infrequent use.

Awesome, thanks.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

But, that splice exists and works very well. I used one last year on a run I didn't want to re-run and it was a little bit of magic.

Yeah, my point is that it's not the only method of splicing, it's literally this one part number from a single manufacturer. Over a decade later this is still the case.

Why hasn't Ideal or somebody/everybody else knocked this off? Something is going on.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Motronic posted:

Yeah, my point is that it's not the only method of splicing, it's literally this one part number from a single manufacturer. Over a decade later this is still the case.

Why hasn't Ideal or somebody/everybody else knocked this off? Something is going on.

Liability reasons? In cahoots with the NEC?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe some patent shenanigans that other manufacturers haven't seen enough demand to justify engineering around?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp, turns out I managed to drill directly through a wire that was connecting two outlet switches to each other. I saw no need for the two switches since my TV was hooked up there and I’ll never use the switch to turn my tv off, so he just disconnected those switches. It turns out behind the wall are the stairs so there was no easy access for his other option, so he was going to need to make two holes in the wall with a blank cover on one of them.

I bought one of those recessed outlets this morning and he installed that so now it looks much better. Live and learn I guess.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Googling for a price everywhere is sold out (aka grainger or whatever these wholesale sites front are sold out) including the big box stores. One site said the part was obsolete but that's one site. I wonder if TE is stopping making them or just supply chain fuckery? Or if there is a superceded model I missed?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Slugworth posted:

Romex isn't, so I'm not sure where exactly you'd use it.

that's weird. Why is Romex not allowed?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Because you fall down three flights of stairs if you use it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

El Mero Mero posted:

It Just Isn't (TM)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

El Mero Mero posted:

Electrician lobbying. Romex and BX wires are pretty easy to install for a non electrician to install, EMT conduit is not. similar to why Chicago plumbing code called for lead pipes up until they were federally banned in 1986.

Having conduit in place is nice because you can run all kinds of lines without opening the walls and you have more flexibility on what wire you run. It’s “nice to have, not need to have” kinda thing

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I was just googling about Chicago and no Romex, and some website mentioned even Low Voltage needs to be in conduit... that's kinda wild.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

skipdogg posted:

I was just googling about Chicago and no Romex, and some website mentioned even Low Voltage needs to be in conduit... that's kinda wild.

For commercial, yes. No above ceiling cable trays for you!!*

I think residential is a little less strict on the low voltage side but not 100% on that.

*Some places/institutions have some sort of variance they've been given but generally it's 4" conduits rather than cable trays.

e: as for why conduits everywhere, well, this whole convo started with someone accidentally drilling into hidden wires. Conduits provide protection from mechanical damage!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

El Mero Mero posted:

Something something cows & oil lamps

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

skipdogg posted:

Nah, unless that's relatively new. Doorbells, thermostats, etc, are just run as loose wire in every house I've ever worked on in the Chicagoland area.

That being said, smurf tube is getting popular all over the place, so it's not a crazy concept.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there's a couple in my city (Minneapolis) that is building a straw house

https://uptownstrawhouse.weebly.com/

I have no idea if this is a great idea or a terrible idea, but apparently it is much more costly to construct than typical homes

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

For commercial, yes. No above ceiling cable trays for you!!*

I think residential is a little less strict on the low voltage side but not 100% on that.

*Some places/institutions have some sort of variance they've been given but generally it's 4" conduits rather than cable trays.

e: as for why conduits everywhere, well, this whole convo started with someone accidentally drilling into hidden wires. Conduits provide protection from mechanical damage!

To be fair so do these, idk if they’re code or not though

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

To be fair so do these, idk if they’re code or not though

In some places nailer plates are required for code, but in those places this install would fail anyway because that hole is WAY too close to the edge of the closest stud in that picture (i-codes requires a minimum of 5/8" from the edges).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ordered windows and a new door 5 months ago. Installer said they would call and schedule a time to put them in, they did and we agreed on tomorrow (Saturday).

They texted me this morning at 6:45am and were like today? Knowing how bad contractors are in this market (northern virginia) I agreed even though today is going to 97F. I was scared of them canceling on me for tomorrow.

Seems to be going well so far.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The Andersen windows in this house are about 12 years since install. Are they worth replacing? They're so annoying.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

In some places nailer plates are required for code, but in those places this install would fail anyway because that hole is WAY too close to the edge of the closest stud in that picture (i-codes requires a minimum of 5/8" from the edges).

Good to know. Looks like they drilled those holes on an angle lol, the left most one is way back, the middle one is just right, and the rightmost hole is too close

Was just the first photo I got from Google :shrug:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

papa horny michael posted:

The Andersen windows in this house are about 12 years since install. Are they worth replacing? They're so annoying.

You've never priced out a window replacement have you? It's $$$ and no, almost certainly not worth changing out 12 year old windows, especially Andersen's which say what you will about their sales tactics are considered to be very good windows as far as I'm aware.

Out of curiosity what's so annoying about them?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The windows were getting installed are from Provia. They're about $750 installed, will update later with quality impressions.

The door is also Provia and was much more costly, about $4k for a fiberglass door plus storm door. To be fair that includes some definite "dealing with PO BS tax".

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Ordered windows and a new door 5 months ago. Installer said they would call and schedule a time to put them in, they did and we agreed on tomorrow (Saturday).

They texted me this morning at 6:45am and were like today? Knowing how bad contractors are in this market (northern virginia) I agreed even though today is going to 97F. I was scared of them canceling on me for tomorrow.

Your house looks very cute from what I can see.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I want that mirror and that wall.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

couldcareless posted:

I want that mirror and that wall.

The mirror looks to be the same one we have in a half bath, and can be had from ikea.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/stockh...LUaAtcqEALw_wcB

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NomNomNom posted:

You got the dude with the 6 pouch tool belt. That's how you know he means business.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

EPICAC posted:

The mirror looks to be the same one we have in a half bath, and can be had from ikea.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/stockh...LUaAtcqEALw_wcB

Yeah, we were actually just at Ikea a couple of weeks ago and saw it but we really couldn't justify the purchase because we have no clue where we could put it. Our walls are covered in art (I buy too much art)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah ikea mirror. The brick is actually fake! It's a very well done faux wood paneling, never seen anything like it elsewhere.

Door and windows turned out nice.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat bro your home cute as hell. Windows look great.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Holy poo poo I was thinking you meant a sliding glass door was costing you $4k, not a regular rear end door. It all looks great but :psyduck:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Sirotan posted:

Holy poo poo I was thinking you meant a sliding glass door was costing you $4k, not a regular rear end door. It all looks great but :psyduck:

Dude I know. We considered just combining that whole opening into a big sliding door but that would have been lol money. The quoter bro literally just chuckled when I asked about it.

The door was a silly custom size which added a lot to the cost.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, I've got something that's been annoying me for the past few months. My Whirlpool (Kenmore in name) decided that the water would not dispense, for either the water dispenser or ice maker.

Some googling shows that the water inlet valve is super common point of failure, so I replaced it. No difference.

HOWEVER, a friend of mine stated that he had an exact issue and the culprit is actually the "valve" on the filter housing inside the fridge. I did some googling and found some posts echoing that, and they mention putting a washer on it to help depress it more.

BUT

I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put these washers? Just around the base of it (red circle?)

Here is is with the bypass installed (does nothing). I have the water shut off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I assume the protruding part with the center hole is what needs pushing. Does that move? If so, that's it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The whole blue thing is 1 piece. Basically, as you tighten the cap (or filter body if you used one), it forces it (blue part) in.

I don't have any washers the right size so I'm going to need to try and find something either SS or make something out of plastic that can do the job. I think I might try something 1/8" or so.

e: This video shows replacing the whole filter head. I don't need to do that (I think) but it gives a good view of what it looks like
https://youtu.be/356QVsLtWVE?t=162

Ee: but if I use a washer won't it block the flow through the filterhead?

eee: gently caress it, I just ordered a filter head.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 18, 2022

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

H110Hawk posted:

According to the SDS it's Hydrogen Chloride aka HCl in an inhibitor. I would go with that vs plain white vinegar. It's going to be far more reactive to the things in your tank unless you buy higher % acetic acid and dilute it yourself. (Don't buy HCl and DIY it unless you're a process chemist by trade, you'll also depipe your scales in addition to descaling your pipes.)

Most excellent, appreciate the advice!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Hammer and chisel related, but I want to get it down rather than up. Finally turning an ex-carport from a junk storage space to a patio-- I am operating under the assumption that if I continue to remove the middle wall to the yellow lines, I'm not impacting the pillars structurally in any way, and then I can just finish them off by inserting brick 90 degrees in the zig zag to finish off the insides the way the outside is? Given the other two sides of the carport are house, and the roof is all one piece, this feels very compressive load only, I don't need to resist racking in any way. The current setup only provides that in one dimension anyway.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Someone else can chime in too, but chances are there are metal lally columns inside the brick columns. Bricks are just for show. Least that's how it's made in my neck of the woods.

Content:

Turquoise: hot or not? Wife likes it so that's really what matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's better than the vomit yellow/green that's also on there. I dunno if I love either but it's your place you should do what keeps your marriage intact.