Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FrostyPox posted:

That actually looks pretty neat. I'll give it a shot if/when it's in open beta

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I've never considered it before, but I guess I'd rather have a Minecraft-looking MMO than something going for max realism like Mortal Online 2 that you know is going to look like rear end in 5 years. But also it's easier to create content when it's literally a handful of voxels.

The only way you can go full textured or even stylized 3D in an MMO is if you have an enormous budget to pay two dozen artists to keep up with content updates.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

1player posted:

But also it's easier to create content when it's literally a handful of voxels.

Yeah, this is the main reason they switched to MC-like graphics and voxels, which is that it's easier and faster to create content to keep up with players that way. The game originally looked quite different but that wasn't nearly as sustainable content-wise.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

Yeah, this is the main reason they switched to MC-like graphics and voxels, which is that it's easier and faster to create content to keep up with players that way. The game originally looked quite different but that wasn't nearly as sustainable content-wise.

The Minecraft voxel whatever stuff looks so much better imo

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah the voxel look is way better. I actually really dig the current graphics. Only thing I’d really like to see are those huge particle bursts that so many EQ spells had.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I enjoyed my time with the alpha, even if end of the day I did extremely little with my time. I'm not the biggest fan of the camera lock to 1st person, but it's still early in dev. Looking forward to more tests

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

personally i think voxel buildings can be pretty nice in a doom-ish kinda way, but natural environments and agents like characters and monsters look like absolute trash. i'd love to see somebody branch out a bit from the minecraft aesthetic with voxels that are maybe half the size of the ones minecraft made standard

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Jazerus posted:

personally i think voxel buildings can be pretty nice in a doom-ish kinda way, but natural environments and agents like characters and monsters look like absolute trash. i'd love to see somebody branch out a bit from the minecraft aesthetic with voxels that are maybe half the size of the ones minecraft made standard

Cartoon style graphics have proven to also last a lot longer then ultra realistic.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I want PS1 era retro graphics with maps built in trenchbroom

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
All I'm saying is, this came out the same year as everquest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIu5iNnbDo&t=54260s

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Anno posted:

Only thing I’d really like to see are those huge particle bursts that so many EQ spells had.

Here's the SoW-equivalent buff landing on someone.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 20, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

World of Shenmue

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jazerus posted:

World of Shenmue

They tried that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEjLLwfOUQ

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jazerus posted:

Yea its possible to make these games look charming, like low-poly Valheim or voxel Cube World

Minecraft is just super ugly

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It felt like Everquest. They nailed that part. I leveled a mage and druid, and except for the (better) graphics, it is straight up EQ1 with some neat tricks. (Apparently there are spell conditionals that rely on being near specific voxels, i.e. you have to be this close to a tree voxel to cast this druid spell, etc.)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
The actual fun part of EverQuest is working with a group of people to do a bunch of hosed up stuff to enemies that kill you one on one.

How much hosed up stuff can you do to enemies?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I really enjoyed the alpha. The Minecraft visual style works for me - I think it’s much better looking than some ultra-realism attempt would ever be.

The game is basically EQ in spirit 100%, which has a lot of good qualities - but I hope they are willing to make their own design decisions (without straying too far, which many other MMOs that take inspiration from that era do). I’m no game designer, and games don’t need to go for mass appeal necessarily, but I hope some middle ground can be found between the ultra punishing gameplay EQ sometimes dished out and something a little kinder to the player base. It’s important to recognize that the core demographic is going to be in their 30s+ and will have on average less time and more real-life responsibilities than they did when they originally played EQ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dackel posted:

camera lock to 1st person

Now I'm sold.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just think about this

It is EQ1 where they can easily add content and haven't jumped the shark like eq1 live.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Pantheon didn't turn out to be a scam.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wish Pantheon didn't turn out to be a scam.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I also hope they take a more (early) EQ1 approach to items. I really hate how generic items are in modern MMOs - I miss the days of getting an item and using it for literal years even as new expansions come and go. Even across multiple characters! FV rules as standard please!

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 20, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I cannot imagine that and it sounds awful.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

gotta get on that gear treadmill yo

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You can tell it's a bad, outdated MMO if it has vertical progression.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Ruggan posted:

The game is basically EQ in spirit 100%, which has a lot of good qualities - but I hope they are willing to make their own design decisions (without straying too far, which many other MMOs that take inspiration from that era do). I’m no game designer, and games don’t need to go for mass appeal necessarily, but I hope some middle ground can be found between the ultra punishing gameplay EQ sometimes dished out and something a little kinder to the player base. It’s important to recognize that the core demographic is going to be in their 30s+ and will have on average less time and more real-life responsibilities than they did when they originally played EQ.

I just want one (1) new game that actually sticks to classic EQ mechanics. Pantheon did a complete about face when Brad died. Embers Adrift just made nights lighter and added personal teleport stones for all players all over the world because players complained. Gorgon is... Gorgon. Monsters & Memories is brought to you by the guy who was the lead designer on all of the EQ1 expansions immediately after Luclin that made EQ suck (PoP, Omens, LoY, LDoN).

I just one one that's actually classic EQ and doesn't compromise. If ECO goes the "diet EQ" route then I'd be better off just going back to following Pantheon or M&M or something. Those games are already going the "but what about the modern gamer?" route already.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 20, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

memories of being a level 10 fighter looking for a spell caster to cast bind for 2 hours

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Anno posted:

I also hope they take a more (early) EQ1 approach to items. I really hate how generic items are in modern MMOs - I miss the days of getting an item and using it for literal years even as new expansions come and go. Even across multiple characters! FV rules as standard please!

Meaningful loot is awesome, FFXI is a good example of a game still doing this. It feels worthwhile and you have a connection to your gear rather than just being stat sticks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Being a Cleric, casting 4 spells and then having to sit for 10 minutes waiting for my mana to recharge before getting Meditation sure was fun.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Being a Cleric, casting 4 spells and then having to sit for 10 minutes waiting for my mana to recharge before getting Meditation sure was fun.

i think there are sharp edges you could clip off of the EQ model without damaging it, but most games that tried to soften EQ softened it all the way

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hellioning posted:

I cannot imagine that and it sounds awful.

It ruled.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Sachant posted:

I just want one (1) new game that actually sticks to classic EQ mechanics. Pantheon did a complete about face when Brad died. Embers Adrift just made nights lighter and added personal teleport stones for all players all over the world because players complained. Gorgon is... Gorgon. Monsters & Memories is brought to you by the guy who was the lead designer on all of the EQ1 expansions immediately after Luclin that made EQ suck (PoP, Omens, LoY, LDoN).

I just one one that's actually classic EQ and doesn't compromise. If ECO goes the "diet EQ" route then I'd be better off just going back to following Pantheon or M&M or something. Those games are already going the "but what about the modern gamer?" route already.

As people pointed out below, its a bit of a mess to make a game. Classic EQ is only enjoyed by a subset of people. Real game makers will outright calculate what makes a person quit, if your world is so big, and grouping is 100% required, you may find yourself with people quitting because they cant even meet up. Kunark epics had mobs who would not spawn for days or weeks (not on a timer, just a place holder and a 2% spawn rate). People would quit over that trash and even the game makers know that now.

I can make a game good for a small group, D&D started that way. But you need a player base to be successful, people quitting over dumb stuff does not a game make.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Oldstench posted:

Also just staring at the spellbook before whatever level let you actually see what was happening in front of you was fun too.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i hope ECO goes full-on EQ gameplay with no compromises. it's worth seeing if such a ship will float.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

cmdrk posted:

i hope ECO goes full-on EQ gameplay with no compromises. it's worth seeing if such a ship will float.

I agree. I want it to have a hosed up keyed dungeon with multiple inexplicable tiers and then halfway there is a mummy you can kill that gives you a dagger that fills your bags with Bandages every time you melee.

No compromises.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Clerics could get some leather armor and fight dudes with yaulp until level 8, it uses less mana than you recharge standing up during its cooldown. It doesn't take long to get to 8. The only classes that had trouble before med were hybrid classes.

PyRosflam posted:

Classic EQ is only enjoyed by a subset of people. Real game makers will outright calculate what makes a person quit, if your world is so big, and grouping is 100% required, you may find yourself with people quitting because they cant even meet up.

Classic EQ had zero problems with its world size. Aside from just the world not being that large (p99 is something like a quarter the size of wow), EQ characters move like 30% faster than a wow character on foot by default. If you use the stupid trick where you run diagonally because EQ was babby's first video game for someone, you run the same speed as a level 40 mount in wow. If a high level player gives you a buff, you can run 50% faster than an epic mount in wow.

The issue with EQ was always the same problem leveling in all MMOs has: everyone hits cap and collects in a very small number of zones. As people understood how everquest worked better, this number of zones shrank down even more as the most efficient zones became more popular and everyone ignored everything else. The biggest obstacles to finding groups are:

1) Not knowing that you can find out which zones are populated with /who so you just kind of wander around completely alone for several hours
2) All the camps are occupied in whatever efficient zone everyone likes and so you wait hours for an open camp.

The thing is that these problems are solvable but everyone decided that they're not going to bother because it's easier to just let you solo everything. Even p99 has made progress on this a little bit by turning the zonewide experience knobs to make more zones efficient at various level bands, even though it's not a complete solution by any means.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rexicon1 posted:

I agree. I want it to have a hosed up keyed dungeon with multiple inexplicable tiers and then halfway there is a mummy you can kill that gives you a dagger that fills your bags with Bandages every time you melee.

No compromises.

lol i used that dagger to help level my beastlord back in the day, face tank for a bunch of melee hits then back off and bind wound while my pet tanks

it owned

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ort posted:

Meaningful loot is awesome, FFXI is a good example of a game still doing this. It feels worthwhile and you have a connection to your gear rather than just being stat sticks.

I have most of an entire inventory in my house dedicated to every cool-rear end-lookin' Scythe I ever used on Dark Knight, plus some Greatswords too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guild Wars Trilogy is $15 on Steam right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also, Josh Strife put out a really great video that talks about what we have been talking about quite a bit in this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Gaz8oxzJ4