Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Real nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

need to rehost images

edit: There we go, still learning this internet thing.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 10, 2022

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

404ing there bud

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

rootdown posted:

edit: There we go, still learning this internet thing.

Is this on 800T?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Yep, but I'm not sure of the exact chemistry that was used. I had these developed by a lab and I can't seem to find more details on their process as it looks like their online ordering page, which I think has that info, is down at the moment.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Good stuff! I keep getting my mind blown by things that would irritate me if I saw them in my pictures, but when I see them in other people's pictures it's cool and good. In this case it's halation, a few years ago it was grain. Two years of film photography, both the consumption of others' work and doing it myself, has been far more educational for me than 10 years of digital photography.

Edit: I had time to think about why I like the two Berlin pictures so much. I lived in a small town in eastern Germany between 1988 and 2002. When the first Matrix movie came out, I just had to see it, but my local cinema carded people and I was a year too young to get in. The cinemas in Berlin were known to not card people, so I took the train to Berlin to watch the movie, and it obviously ruled. Unfortunately I had missed the last train for the day by ~5 minutes, and so I had to spend the night in Berlin all by myself (I was 15 I think). My departure train station (Zoo) had a reputation for drug addicts, so I stayed the hell away from it. Fortunately it was summer, and I knew the area relatively well from many daytime visits, so I just walked around all night. The two pictures look like an area where I most definitely would have gotten kidnapped.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 10, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Last frame on this subject, I promise.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I bought a box of Shanghai GP3 in 4x5 on a whim last year; wanted to have a fallback for when I was out doing wet plate and saw something that was interesting, but maybe not worth setting everything up for.

I *may* have exposed the rest of the box when I was loading my film holders (haven't tried any of the remaining sheets yet, so I guess that's a story for another day), but yesterday I was mucking around in the darkroom and decided I'd develop the test sheets using the Stearman Press 445 tank I bought secondhand a few months ago.

My previous experience was 10+ years ago with some Mod 45 reels, which I don't remember being too bad. I'd tried tray developing once or twice and absolutely hated it, so the Mod reels felt like a godsend at the time. The 445 tank is even nicer though; incredibly easy to load, no leaks at all, only requires 500mL of developer to do 4 sheets.

So yeah, definitely recommend.

I'd wanted to do some contact prints to share as my neg scanner still needs calibration (pro-tip: do NOT forget to lock the scanner head before shipping) but wound up not having enough time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I really like the Stearman Tank.. It's nifty.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm finally parting ways with my Mamiya 7 and using the funds to buy some guitar stuff, but most importantly, some large format stuff.

I've tried shooting LF with a Speed Graphic before and it was kind of underwhelming/irritating. Most of my shots will be landscape, and two of the most important things are quick setup and being able to handle a little bit of rain.

Something like a Travelwide would almost be perfect in a lot of ways: very fast setup, cheap, and I don't care as much if I get it wet but you can't find them and they're a little too janky/limited. Does anyone have an experience with Intrepid (or similar) and it's limitations? Otherwise I'm obviously looking at a Chamonix, probably a 45N-2. I'm just not sure I'd like to subject a nice camera like that to wind, dust, rain.

Also: what's up with the ebay stores that sell Chamonix? Just typical kind of "gray market" stuff?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 18, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

For 'cheap' 4x5's I wouldn't ignore the Intrepid.

However, really the only sensitive object on a 4x5 is the lens. The camera themselves are far less dust/rain sensitive than your regular camera...just need make sure that the bellows are dry before you store it away at home.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is an intrepid really any better than a crown or speed graphic? At least the graflex cameras have metal at all the important load-bearing points. Or are the new intrepids better than they used to be?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mine has been tossed in a backpack, etc and has held up fine. I think for the money, it's still a good deal and most importantly (for me), it's very light.
I have a small padded pouch for the lens, but the camera just gets wrapped in the darkcloth and stuffed in the back.

A Chamonix would be nice, but it wont take nicer pictures than the Intrepid anyway. It's probably quicker to set up, though, with better indexes.

Edit: For the price, I think the Intrepid is fine.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 18, 2022

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

my intrepid was an absolute pile of garbage and the people who run the company are assholes. i legitimately regret spending any money on it at all. the travelwide isn't great either but at least the people who made it aren't insane pricks, but it's utility as a LF camera is limited, because having a larger negative isn't as big of a deal as actually having movements

fwiw i shoot my chamonix in the rain and dust all the time, it's not full of electronics. i've dropped it and had to repair it. field cameras aren't meant to be delicate creatures, you're supposed to use them outside.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 18, 2022

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The last time I used my Mamiya on a storm, I got bruises from 2" hail, so sometimes I actually do care more about just getting the shot with a larger negative than using movements and getting everything *just right*.

That being said, I'll probably end up with the Chamonix.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

are you having trouble with enlargements? the difference in negative size is not nearly as impressive as, say, 35mm to 6x7.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A Chamonix would be nice, but it wont take nicer pictures than the Intrepid anyway. It's probably quicker to set up, though, with better indexes.

A camera with zero markings/detents will make it much, much easier to avoid unintentional movements, which is the main way I've seen pictures with the Intrepid not be as nice.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is an intrepid really any better than a crown or speed graphic? At least the graflex cameras have metal at all the important load-bearing points. Or are the new intrepids better than they used to be?

The problem with Graphics is that they're all a minimum of 49 years old, so in buying one you're either making a commitment to have to fix/replace wear items (e.g. bellows) or taking a gamble on their having been fixed/replaced already. Their movements are also significantly more limited than the Intrepid or Chamonix. Neither of these things are issues for everybody.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

bellows lugosi posted:

are you having trouble with enlargements? the difference in negative size is not nearly as impressive as, say, 35mm to 6x7.

Kind of, I'm a fan of panoramas in large sizes, like: https://www.alexburkephoto.com/artist-favorites?category=Panorama.

It's admittedly a challenge I'm doing to myself. I love film and focusing on ground glass. LF or even MF weather photography really isn't done (except for Alex Burke, linked above). My problem has always been that I only ever pack the MFs for weather because they're so much easier to use. If I really want to capture that scene of an EF-4 ripping through a canola field on LF - I have to force myself to pack LF everytime I go out, and love using it.

I totally get if none of this makes sense, but I've been thinking about this problem and refining what I'm looking to accomplish for probably 8-9 years now. I've gotten the MF shots and they haven't been enough (this is a rough draft of one I had handy on my phone):

I ended up getting a Chamonix after thinking about it for a few days, and hearing how people love using it. Time to just dive in.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 19, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Chamonix build quality is very premium, you won't regret it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Any advice on a first lens? I've shot a lot at ~45deg field of view and I want something a little tighter to start. I'm guessing my options are 150 (42deg) or 210 (30deg).

A Nikkor 150 seems like a pretty sweet deal for ~$500. With some in-store credit, I can also pick up a Nikkor 210 for $200. How do the Nikkors compare to the Fujis?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

luchadornado posted:

Any advice on a first lens? I've shot a lot at ~45deg field of view and I want something a little tighter to start. I'm guessing my options are 150 (42deg) or 210 (30deg).

A Nikkor 150 seems like a pretty sweet deal for ~$500. With some in-store credit, I can also pick up a Nikkor 210 for $200. How do the Nikkors compare to the Fujis?

They're mostly roughly equivalent except that the average age of the Nikkors is a little younger.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

135mm is a common focal length too if you want a touch wider than 150mm.

nikkors are good (all of my 4x5 lenses are nikkors). you can't go wrong with any of the big 4 lf lens brands (nikkor, fuji, rodenstock or schneider)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
The Intrepid is probably the most polarising camera on the internet; some people really like it for its low cost and light weight despite the issues, other people hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.

You definitely won't be disappointed in that Charmonix. If you don't already have one, a Stearman tank makes developing 4x5 a lot nicer.

luchadornado posted:

$500 seems quite expensive for a 150mm, that 210 sounds more reasonable. You could try sticking up a wanted ad on LFF or one of the FB groups and see what you get, or try your luck on eBay.

I've got a Schneider 90/150/210 combo that came with my Toyo that covers a lot of the bases. 180mm lenses are also not too hard to come by.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just get the drat chamomix you'll only end up buying one later anyway

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That Stearman is exactly what I need - thanks!

Sludge Tank posted:

Just get the drat chamomix you'll only end up buying one later anyway

I already did. Now I just need to mull over which overpriced lens to buy from ebay. Prices have gotten crazy.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

luchadornado posted:

I already did. Now I just need to mull over which overpriced lens to buy from ebay. Prices have gotten crazy.

Oneofusoneofusoneofus

I had a great affordable rodenstock 150mm 5.6 that I got a heap of use out of. Between that and a Schneider super angulon 90mm 5.6 (or the cheaper f8) that's a neat little landscape kit. Mind you that was like 8 years ago I've no idea what the markets like now

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sludge Tank posted:

Oneofusoneofusoneofus

I had a great affordable rodenstock 150mm 5.6 that I got a heap of use out of. Between that and a Schneider super angulon 90mm 5.6 (or the cheaper f8) that's a neat little landscape kit. Mind you that was like 8 years ago I've no idea what the markets like now

I bought my Mamiya 7 + 80mm for $1100 and just sold it for close to $3000 if that gives you any idea.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
drat that's crazy

anyone wanna buy my beat up chamonix 11x14 for $25k?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

luchadornado posted:

Nikkors are great, the Nikkor 150 is one of my main lenses but like eggsovereasy said, you can't go wrong with any of the big four.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sweet, decided on the Nikkor 210mm because it's local and pretty cheap :sickos:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Does this count? I got a big lens and made a big camera. It's a 600mm f/9

Camera Test20220619-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Take it to the "Too large format" thread.
Extremely cool poo poo.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

TomR posted:

Whoa, very cool! Love to see some pictures of the back!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TomR posted:

Holy poo poo.
How do you figure the details out about coverage/depth of field etc.? I have a few projection lenses (300/400mm IIRC) that I haven't figured out how to do anything with yet.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I did some math, and then checked it by putting the lens in a cardboard sheet blocking my bathroom window. It projected an image of my back yard onto a 48" roll of paper I hung up as a backdrop. I just moved things around and measured until I had a good idea of what to build.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Are you shooting with 20x24 sheet film?

Also i looked up that Zeiss lens and its image circle is a meter. :aaaaa:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The rear is 44" x 44" with the image area being 42" x 42". Right now I have a frame with a sheet of hardboard I painted flat white that I'm projecting an image onto and I'm just taking a photo of the image with my DSLR. The lens covers the full 42" square at that focal distance, but less at infinity. The plan is to refine everything and do alternative processes and experiments once I get the camera in a state I can take it places and set it up without it looking like a pile of garbage. I can hang up photo paper, do multiple parts at once and make a one shot photo collage or eventually I'd like to do some wet plate stuff. I'm still working out the kinks though.

I made the whole camera myself. It's been a fun project so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just make sure you varnish the wood because silver nitrate will turn it to dust pretty quickly. That's amazing I take my hat off to guys who build their own cameras. I love everything Luther Gerlach does.