Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rampages are cool and all but

Just finishing this up now (wiring is taking several times longer than either board or brackets did)

I avoided projects like this for eVER (adapting other standards, panel wiring, basically anything not a cut-and-dry package of a project) and it turns out the figuring out is what I really like in DIY.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I bought a Maths, but someday I’ll do a Rampage build, then I’ll have both, because more function generators equals more fun. :thumbsup:

Right now I’m saving up for a Pamela’s New Workout. Seems like people don’t like Temps_Utilitie as much, so even though I generally prefer DIY, I’m going retail for clock stuff.

I did SMD for a bit this year - NLC Divide & Conquer > Ripples > Rings (failed) > uO&C > Rings (success), and I’m pretty much done with SMD for a while. I don’t know when I’ll pick it up again, I think I’ll mainly be doing Befaco and Zlob stuff for a while.

What aren't people liking about the T_U? I see them far too cheap (like less than parts now) and while I've been jumping on it I don't really get it. Pams does LFOs too right? Thats cool but hardly seems like 2x the price cool.

RocketMermaid posted:

Oh, I'm deep down that rabbit hole too :haw: I've probably built a dozen modules or so by now, although I haven't dipped my toes into SMD soldering yet. But I have built a Befaco Rampage, which has over 150 resistors alone and is a beast of a project. Super fun and well worth it though! I want like five more, function generators loving rule.

SMD is different, but once you get a board or two down it gets a lot easier for most things / package sizes. 64+ pin processors are always gonna be a pain. For me, it's a matter of checking my work rigorously + constantly, but I get into trouble w/ that in through hole too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

What aren't people liking about the T_U? I see them far too cheap (like less than parts now) and while I've been jumping on it I don't really get it. Pams does LFOs too right? Thats cool but hardly seems like 2x the price cool.

Less outputs and complaints that it’s buggy and the timing is prone to going off, which isn’t great if it’s supposed be a master clock. And Pam’s does indeed do LFOs.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I bought a Maths, but someday I’ll do a Rampage build, then I’ll have both, because more function generators equals more fun. :thumbsup:

Right now I’m saving up for a Pamela’s New Workout. Seems like people don’t like Temps_Utilitie as much, so even though I generally prefer DIY, I’m going retail for clock stuff.

I did SMD for a bit this year - NLC Divide & Conquer > Ripples > Rings (failed) > uO&C > Rings (success), and I’m pretty much done with SMD for a while. I don’t know when I’ll pick it up again, I think I’ll mainly be doing Befaco and Zlob stuff for a while.

PNW is pretty much the heart of my setup, I couldn't live without it at this point. You can make it do everything from Euclidean rhythms to LFOs to logic functions and, in my opinion, the navigation is super-intuitive. I also have the expander for extra triggers and MIDI out, so it's the master clock for my whole setup and with that I have 12 (!!!) outputs. It's a loving beast and I love it.

I kept considering a Maths but I absolutely cannot grok most MN panels, between the font and the amount of visual "noise". I do love my Telharmonic, though.

I think I've built more Befaco kits than anything else at this point and I'm a big fan of theirs, as well as Music Thing's modules. Turing Machine is a necessity and their spring reverb is a blast. What Zlob modules do you like? I've definitely looked at the six VCA one more than once but not that much as their other kits.

Considering how badly I want a Triple Sloths, I guess I'm gonna have to try my hand at SMD at least once. So far I've had good luck with my kits, though - other than one of the LEDs on my Rampage not working and having to redo the pin headers on my Befaco Burst (I misinterpreted which side they were supposed to be on :v: ), all my builds have been successful so far. I'm glad I had my fiancee to teach me how to solder :)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

PNW is pretty much the heart of my setup, I couldn't live without it at this point. You can make it do everything from Euclidean rhythms to LFOs to logic functions and, in my opinion, the navigation is super-intuitive. I also have the expander for extra triggers and MIDI out, so it's the master clock for my whole setup and with that I have 12 (!!!) outputs. It's a loving beast and I love it.

I kept considering a Maths but I absolutely cannot grok most MN panels, between the font and the amount of visual "noise". I do love my Telharmonic, though.

I think I've built more Befaco kits than anything else at this point and I'm a big fan of theirs, as well as Music Thing's modules. Turing Machine is a necessity and their spring reverb is a blast. What Zlob modules do you like? I've definitely looked at the six VCA one more than once but not that much as their other kits.

Considering how badly I want a Triple Sloths, I guess I'm gonna have to try my hand at SMD at least once. So far I've had good luck with my kits, though - other than one of the LEDs on my Rampage not working and having to redo the pin headers on my Befaco Burst (I misinterpreted which side they were supposed to be on :v: ), all my builds have been successful so far. I'm glad I had my fiancee to teach me how to solder :)

If you like Triple Sloths, check out Zlob’s Diode Chaos, I think it’s pretty much the same thing - 3 chaotic LFOs. The kit is ~$55, it’s 3hp, and and it also has a random trigger. That’s my first recommendation. I don’t have the VCA, but that’s on my list. Triple Cap Chaos is fun if you have another oscillator to plug into it. And Entropy and it’s expander are a bunch of noise types and some random utilities like sample & hold, random gate, comparator, and stuff like that in a really small package (3hp for Entropy, 3 more for the expander).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ah ok, I see what you mean. I picked up on that aspect of his vids fairly early. I figure it's a way for him to funnel people to his pay course.
I like the patching tips Monotrail gives, and his diagrams make it easy to adapt whatever he's talking about to the modules I have available in vcv
https://www.youtube.com/c/MonotrailTechTalk

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Rampages are cool and all but

Just finishing this up now (wiring is taking several times longer than either board or brackets did)

I avoided projects like this for eVER (adapting other standards, panel wiring, basically anything not a cut-and-dry package of a project) and it turns out the figuring out is what I really like in DIY.

SMD is different, but once you get a board or two down it gets a lot easier for most things / package sizes. 64+ pin processors are always gonna be a pain. For me, it's a matter of checking my work rigorously + constantly, but I get into trouble w/ that in through hole too.

That looks unreal man. I keep thinking how much id like a second maths just for using as a wierd oscillator, and it looks like that's gonna track 1v/o properly too!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can anyone recommend a super simple electric guitar -> USB C interface? I wanna run my guitar through GarageBand on my MacBook and occasionally 3.5mm that to my OP-1.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The focusrite solo has a 1/4” jack in addition to the xlr and I’m pretty sure the new ones come with C to C cables.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fender mustang micro can be an interface using usb-c.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Fender Mustang Micro. You can run the headphone jack into the OP1 and it's an audio interface and a really sweet headphone practice amp.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Mustang Micro looks perfect. How are the built in effects?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pretty great considering the size of it.

Here's a quick review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8nFROX1nc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow sold. That’s exactly what I want.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i don't know if anyone is familiar with mike david/redbar radio, but i was watching the most recent show he did and he says he got a 'moog', seemingly as a goof to tell a stranger things joke? it looks like a moog subsequent 37, which made me lol, either way, it looks like an expensive synth even if it isn't a moog, but someone with a better eye might be able to tell. he brings it up at like 11:15. there really isn't anything more than that, i just found it funny because it's such a weirdly specific joke.
https://redbarradio.net/embed/vod2?id=REDBAR-S20-E03

edit: lol it is a moog subsequent 37, a few minutes later he reads the chat and someone asks if it's a minimoog and he says 'it's a 'subtequence' 37'

imhotep fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 19, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s absolutely a sub37, but it’s also probably the least expensive thing in there since he’s got a 32 channel digital mixer parked behind him

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I started writing for a colleague's math blog. It's aimed at college math majors, especially those interested in number theory.

I thought the thread would appreciate my post on how to calculate Euclidean rhythms by hand, without needing to use recursion.

So Math fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 19, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My OP-1 is officially for sale if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004909&perpage=40&noseen=1#post524270942

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Shoutout to our goon Rolo, who hooked me up with my latest fix of volcas.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyF1B59Vsc

vvv Right on :cheers:

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 20, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had the biggest smile watching that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The space boop gods are pleased.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Shoutout to our goon Rolo, who hooked me up with my latest fix of volcas.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyF1B59Vsc

vvv Right on :cheers:

love it lol, there is something super appealing about small gear setups - the dual volca modular skiff is super powerful i bet!

I've streamlined my skiff a little bit, I've taken out pams and o_c for now, i wanted to focus on patching instead of menu diving. I'm working through some of the maths and cold mac patches online and learning a lot about patch programmability.

Sequencing via an sq1. I've just added the clep diaz for a little modulation, but tweaking knobs by hand has been rewarding (i found myself just modulationg EVERYTHING with synced lfos from pams, which was one of the reasons i wanted to try a set up without it). Generally I'm using either resonating filters or maths as an oscillator. The transistor vcas (down to one now) only vaguely work as vcas, I guess theyre picky about input and output, but do work as semi voltage controlled distortion and sound nice for AM. I've just patched up a proper vca in cold mac if needed but I might have to put some real vcas back in.

Here's a couple of the more melodic things I've come up with this week (froggy is the only one I made with the clep diaz). Some has a bit of overdubbing, nearly all of it is spliced together from longer jams :

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/sets/skiff-sketches?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lord help me the Buchla Easel makes me want to get into modular. It looks fun as hell to get a plucky little dance line going and it’s a new form of synthesis to me so I wanna play with it. Gimme.

Is there a good Buchla-style VST out there that isn’t by Arturia and doesn’t cost $150?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

Lord help me the Buchla Easel makes me want to get into modular. It looks fun as hell to get a plucky little dance line going and it’s a new form of synthesis to me so I wanna play with it. Gimme.

Is there a good Buchla-style VST out there that isn’t by Arturia and doesn’t cost $150?

Just get V Collection when it goes on sale for $200 (or get an upgrade for way less if you have an older version). There’s probably gonna be a midsummer sale and then one during Black Friday/the Holidays

You get like a gorillion great synths

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Still waiting to see what the beasel is like

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Pollyanna posted:

Madrona Labs Aalto?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

https://youtu.be/SEEZ3InO7B4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
This is the first iamamiwhoami/ionnalee song I’ve really clicked with in a while, and there’s a little gem of a synth solo ~3:25 in

https://youtu.be/pVl8RzklnSQ

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I'm having my first solo live gig next week! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixxrSHhKemY

It's for a hardcore techno party so the set is gonna be faster and more distorted than the psytrance I'd usually play but I don't mind. It's gonna be fun! I'll do a few 90s gabber style interludes as well and some breakcore with amen loops too. :catdrugs:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hell yeah sounds good!

E: My live performance advice is to always show up early because connecting poo poo is a pain and being able to do it and not be rushed is good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How you have all those things and patterns going with all the potential things you can do and not immediately freeze up? That poo poo gives me hella analysis paralysis and I just sorta sit there and listen to the cool boops.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

j.peeba posted:

It's for a hardcore techno party so the set is gonna be faster and more distorted than the psytrance I'd usually play but I don't mind. It's gonna be fun! I'll do a few 90s gabber style interludes as well and some breakcore with amen loops too. :catdrugs:

owns, break a leg!

Edit:

Pollyanna posted:

How you have all those things and patterns going with all the potential things you can do and not immediately freeze up? That poo poo gives me hella analysis paralysis and I just sorta sit there and listen to the cool boops.

As someone really new to all this modular stuff, when im building a patch in VCV Rack (mind you im just learning at this point) I start very slow. A single voice, maybe try to add some randomness, and modulate things with an LFO. As RMR says in his VCV Rack tutorial, LFOs are the invisible hands of your setup (in other words, they help you automate things). Once you get the modulation you want it basically takes care of itself and you just want to control levels and solo/mutes/etc.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 21, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My issue is always setting up a cool drum pattern and a groovy bass line that uses way too much of the frequency range so I stop adding stuff. No song needs a lead, right? No chords, right? Just chill to that raunchy bass.

EQ is forbidden because it makes it less raunchy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

drum and bass means you just need drums and bass right?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Matt Zerella posted:

owns, break a leg!

Edit:

As someone really new to all this modular stuff, when im building a patch in VCV Rack (mind you im just learning at this point) I start very slow. A single voice, maybe try to add some randomness, and modulate things with an LFO. As RMR says in his VCV Rack tutorial, LFOs are the invisible hands of your setup (in other words, they help you automate things). Once you get the modulation you want it basically takes care of itself and you just want to control levels and solo/mutes/etc.

I mean the control levels, solos, and mutes part in particular. That and knowing when to change a pattern from Cool Vamp A to Cool Vamp B, for example. “Oh gently caress uhhh what do I do next”. It’s partly not knowing what I can do, and partly not knowing what I should do. (and also partly cool bleeps are cool haha yay)

I’ve been putting off learning how to mix like a DJ which apparently helps you learn what needs to happen when, so maybe I just need to get Traktor or something.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Pollyanna posted:

I mean the control levels, solos, and mutes part in particular. That and knowing when to change a pattern from Cool Vamp A to Cool Vamp B, for example. “Oh gently caress uhhh what do I do next”. It’s partly not knowing what I can do, and partly not knowing what I should do. (and also partly cool bleeps are cool haha yay)

I’ve been putting off learning how to mix like a DJ which apparently helps you learn what needs to happen when, so maybe I just need to get Traktor or something.

I've been fighting off the urge to get an Octatrack for this reason, seems like it'd be more interesting to me than a DJ controller setup. Plus it would go nicely with my other Elektron gear!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Cool, thank you everyone!

Pollyanna posted:

Good question. I don’t know really! There’s always somewhere to go by altering, adding or removing elements. Sometimes I get stuck too of course but then a forced alteration to the formula, even a bad one, will give some new momentum and new ideas. I guess it’s something that also comes partially by practice too?

net work error posted:

Hell yeah sounds good!

E: My live performance advice is to always show up early because connecting poo poo is a pain and being able to do it and not be rushed is good.

Yeah thanks, that’s wise. I also want to have enough time to double check that my oscillators are in tune before I start.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

j.peeba posted:

Oh yeah it's gonna be fun! Sounds really good and makes me want to be there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess that might be a difference between setups, then. I usually work in a DAW, specifically a tracker, rather than physical modules. Users are called upon to compose what they expect to happen rather than tweak and vary up the patterns, and the steps you can take pretty much boil down to:

- Add: duplicate your last pattern, add a new track to one of your groups, find a patch or sample to use, type in your notes or beats; alternatively, turn on one of the tracks you’ve already got (assuming you made it previously)
- Adjust: duplicate your last pattern, change the notes in one of your tracks or click around and draw some parameter automation
- Remove: turn off a track

Maybe I’m approaching music that’s mostly composed on loop-based hardware with the wrong mindset. :rolldice: In fact, lemme look up some tips and tricks for writing in a tracker, maybe that’s my problem.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Funnily enough, the brain of my setup in this case is a eurorack tracker called Nerdseq. I use it in a similar fashion as Ableton Live to launch clips containing musical data (control voltages, gates and midi). I can’t, and don’t want to, control absolutely everything with it though so there’s plenty of room for sculpting the sounds and improvisong around prepared melodies, rhythms and structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: Well poo poo, I stand corrected. I’m honestly surprised to see a tracker used as part of a hardware setup, I’ve always thought of it as an explicitly compositional tool.

It’s a little hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you have some sections programmed with note data (MIDI/CV/gate) ready to go, and you just jump from one to the next. That leaves you free to tweak knobs and gently caress around for a bunch of measures before moving on. In Renoise (i.e. not DAWs) that’d just be the same pattern duplicated over and over with some automation fuckshittery programmed in, I think. I have parts like that in my tracks, but they only last 4~8 measures before I’m like “alright bring the drums and chords in”.

Maybe I’ll stare at your hands a bit more and learn that way :v: