Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Got a 19 expedition. Bought the maintenance package with it. I’m getting an oil change at the dealership and the service guy says because the chrome lugnuts are swelling (?) they can’t remove them to rotate the tires. Said that’s like a known issue. Dude recommended I buy aftermarket lugnuts and replace them

I don’t know poo poo about cars but none of that makes sense to me. If it’s a known issue with a ford stock part, why would I be on the hook to replace them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Proust Malone posted:

Got a 19 expedition. Bought the maintenance package with it. I’m getting an oil change at the dealership and the service guy says because the chrome lugnuts are swelling (?) they can’t remove them to rotate the tires. Said that’s like a known issue. Dude recommended I buy aftermarket lugnuts and replace them

I don’t know poo poo about cars but none of that makes sense to me. If it’s a known issue with a ford stock part, why would I be on the hook to replace them?

If they aren't just cross threaded or put on with the air gun set to kill then make a nhtsa complaint about it. Make the mechanic document why he cannot get them off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Proust Malone posted:

It's a real issue and Ford is getting sued on the matter: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339991/swollen-lug-nuts-are-costing-ford-drivers-time-and-money-lawsuit-claims/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah it's been an issue for like a decade.

Buy new ones and then throw the old ones through a plate glass window at your local Ford dealership.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Wow that's amazing. How do you get them off in the first place? Or they just don't go back on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Wow that's amazing. How do you get them off in the first place? Or they just don't go back on.

You pound a larger socket on them or pry the chrome cap off, clean it out and use a smaller socket. Same things you've done with 2 piece lug nuts for the decades they've been made and this exact same loving thing happening.

It's completely inexcusable that any manufacturer is still doing this. We knew this poo poo didn't work in the goddamn 80s and probably even earlier than that.

It's the kind of thing that someone from the bay area comes up with and is then confused when it doesn't work pretty much anywhere else that isn't the bay area.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

You pound a larger socket on them or pry the chrome cap off, clean it out and use a smaller socket. Same things you've done with 2 piece lug nuts for the decades they've been made and this exact same loving thing happening.

There's no replacement for defacement :smuggo: import kids wouldn't understand.. ...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's such a long standing problem that they literally sell half-mm oversize sockets that will fit a swollen lug nut. Mopar did the same poo poo but at least stopped eventually, I'm shocked that Ford still does.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Built Ford Rough, baybeeee!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good rule of thumb for buying decisions on high mile cars?

I'm looking at a 2015 Mazda3 with 130k miles on it. It drove fine and the carfax shows regular service, but that's still alot of miles for that old of a car.

I'm carless at the moment and its getting frustrating, so this one is tempting because it meets my requirements otherwise, and buying a car right now sucks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Check with the Mazda thread but I think that amount of miles is not a problem at all provided there was at least some regular service
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3039682

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

2021 Ascent

I love CarPlay, but I hate wires. I wanna just yeet my phone into the wireless charging bay and not think about it. I see lots of aftermarket modules (such as https://cplay2air.com) that provide more modern wireless CarPlay functionality.

BUT

It looks like the only USB data ports my 21 Ascent offers are the ones exposed on the face of the center console just below the wireless charging bay., all the others are just charging ports. Which means if I get a module like that, it's gonna have to sit in the cupholder, which is, like, super dumb?

Anyone know if there's an option of adding another USB data port behind the dash or something that I could plug one of these modules into? I imagine it'd involve pulling the stereo, if there is such a place I could plug in a board for a new port? I'm not really sure where to start here but the ultimate goal is to get wireless CarPlay in this thing without any visible additions.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

nvm, efb

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

2021 Ascent

I love CarPlay, but I hate wires. I wanna just yeet my phone into the wireless charging bay and not think about it. I see lots of aftermarket modules (such as https://cplay2air.com) that provide more modern wireless CarPlay functionality.

BUT

It looks like the only USB data ports my 21 Ascent offers are the ones exposed on the face of the center console just below the wireless charging bay., all the others are just charging ports. Which means if I get a module like that, it's gonna have to sit in the cupholder, which is, like, super dumb?

Anyone know if there's an option of adding another USB data port behind the dash or something that I could plug one of these modules into? I imagine it'd involve pulling the stereo, if there is such a place I could plug in a board for a new port? I'm not really sure where to start here but the ultimate goal is to get wireless CarPlay in this thing without any visible additions.

I imagine you would have to some mate a harness to the existing wiring for something like that to work. That and having to cut things up in the dashboard would pretty well turn me off this project.

Personally, I’d just use a cable, but maybe you can use the cubby in the front to hold the adapter and your phone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's such a long standing problem that they literally sell half-mm oversize sockets that will fit a swollen lug nut. Mopar did the same poo poo but at least stopped eventually, I'm shocked that Ford still does.

GM did that poo poo too for (probably) most of the 80s and 90s.
gently caress those things.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What makes gas-electric hybrid cars so much more fuel efficient on the freeway? At steady state cruising, the electric motors and batteries have got to be dead weight, so why do most hybrid models do significantly better economy than non-hybrid cars on the highway? Specifically, the Camry is at 53 for the hybrid vs 39 MPG without, and the Sonata is 54 vs 37 MPG. That's about 30% less fuel burned by the hybrid.

I'd assume that CAFE would be driving manufacturers to squeeze out every last bit of efficiency, and you see things on non-hybrid cars like start/stop and cylinder deactivation working their way down to cheaper models.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

So I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that has been a reliable car, the one problem is that its keyfob is apparently made from unobtanium. The key fob that came with the car has fallen apart, but the electronics still work fine. I had a new key made for it, but I would like to buy a new shell for the electronics in the old key. The dealer won't sell me one, neither will the place I had the new keymade. I've tried twice to buy the shell for it off amazon, but even though the ones I bought look correct on the outside, the internals are different and won't work.

Any ideas where I can get just the shell for the keyfob?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can you find an old one on ebay that isn't working and swap the electronics?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SeldomSeen posted:

So I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that has been a reliable car, the one problem is that its keyfob is apparently made from unobtanium. The key fob that came with the car has fallen apart, but the electronics still work fine. I had a new key made for it, but I would like to buy a new shell for the electronics in the old key. The dealer won't sell me one, neither will the place I had the new keymade. I've tried twice to buy the shell for it off amazon, but even though the ones I bought look correct on the outside, the internals are different and won't work.

I bought a replacement key fob shell off ebay for like 10 bucks for my Ford. I just had a button fail, so I just needed the inside button mechanism.

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114302436137?fits=Year%3A2016%7CModel%3ASonata%7CMake%3AHyundai&hash=item1a9cf4c329:g:pN0AAOSw7JVfDI5r

Twerk from Home posted:

What makes gas-electric hybrid cars so much more fuel efficient on the freeway? At steady state cruising, the electric motors and batteries have got to be dead weight, so why do most hybrid models do significantly better economy than non-hybrid cars on the highway? Specifically, the Camry is at 53 for the hybrid vs 39 MPG without, and the Sonata is 54 vs 37 MPG. That's about 30% less fuel burned by the hybrid.

I'd assume that CAFE would be driving manufacturers to squeeze out every last bit of efficiency, and you see things on non-hybrid cars like start/stop and cylinder deactivation working their way down to cheaper models.

I'm not an auto engineer, I think there are a few lurking around here though, but I understand there's a big difference between unsprung weight, and sprung weight. The weight of the hybrid powertrain isn't that big of a deal since it's all carried by the suspension.

The fuel economy test models are also hot garbage and not indicative of todays real world driving environment, at least not here in Texas anyway.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 20, 2022

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Uthor posted:

Can you find an old one on ebay that isn't working and swap the electronics?

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like they have ones the say fit my car but I'll have to look at the broken key to be sure. They want like $50 for them, but thats better than paying $400+ for a new key.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

skipdogg posted:

I bought a replacement key fob shell off ebay for like 10 bucks for my Ford. I just had a button fail, so I just needed the inside button mechanism.

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114302436137?fits=Year%3A2016%7CModel%3ASonata%7CMake%3AHyundai&hash=item1a9cf4c329:g:pN0AAOSw7JVfDI5r

Sorry it's not that one.

could be this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/384696088084 going to research more when I get home from work

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Hybrids usually have their engines running on the Atkinson-cycle which has better efficiency at the cost of lower torque and power compared to running on the more typical Otto-cycle. This works by having the intake valve stay open during the start of the compression stroke which leaves less air and fuel in the cylinder to combust. However, that means more work from the expansion of that combusted smaller charge during the power strike can be extracted. That is because the combustion gas should have mostly finished expanding when the cylinder transitions into the exhaust stroke. (You still want some remaining expansion to help with scavenging during the exhaust stroke)

The reduced intake mixture contributes to the reduction of torque and power and the "extended" power stroke contributes to the improved efficiency. Having hybrids use electric motors to make up for that reduction in torque makes running the engine on the Atkinson-cycle less punishing to drive. Using the motors to allow the engine to operate where it is most efficient results in overall improved efficiency.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In addition, many hybrids will work on electric power only when there is reduced demand for power. For instance, when I'm coasting or on a downhill, the engine in our hybrid simply turns off as it isn't needed. No engine turning means no gas burning. This adds up to greater efficiency, in addition to the Atkinson cycle combustion.

Also, many hybrids are more aerodynamic than other cars, increasing highway mileage. And their gas engines are typically smaller in displacement, which is also an advantage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess that Atkinson cycle is significantly more efficient to be the major driver of those changes, especially because in the Camry, the hybrid and non-hybrid engines are the same 2.5L displacement, and in the Sonata the Hybrid engine is a 2.0 to the non-hybrid's 1.6L.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's also important to consider if a car is a series hybrid or parallel hybrid. In a series hybrid, at least, the engije basically runs at its most efficient state. There are a tremendous amount of losses when it doesn't, though thankfully those are mostly transient conditions.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Curious if I’m getting dicked around by a body shop so I was wondering if anyone can speak to current conditions. The backstory is I got rear ended back in early April. I was stopped at a light and an uninsured dude just plowed into me at 35/40 mph, but fortunately nobody was seriously injured (other than the sun visor came loose and karate chopped me in the forehead leaving a nice scar. Regardless, significant damage. It took me a couple weeks to get it into a body shop (mostly my procrastination and I had other stuff I was busy with) so it went in on April 15.

Today is obviously June 20th.

My car is still in that body shop.

It’s a 2019 Wrangler if that makes a difference.

For a while they were telling me the body work was done and they just couldn’t get new seatbelts (the old ones had the tensioner or whatever go off in the wreck and don’t work). Then they told me it was just nebulous parts. Then three weeks ago they told me it was disassembled. This was a surprise since I thought we were waiting for seatbelts. Well it’s been “being reassembled” for the last three weeks and they keep telling me next week. At this point, it’s been over two months and they keep talking about parts they can’t get but can’t tell me what those parts are. I’m pretty close to just going down there and trying to find somebody who can tell me what’s going on, but then I thought well maybe between supply chain poo poo and labor shortage and all this is just everyone’s experience lately. If it is, then I’m not sure what I can do by going down there but the communication has been absolutely abysmal so I don’t even know exactly what’s going on

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Curious if I’m getting dicked around by a body shop so I was wondering if anyone can speak to current conditions. The backstory is I got rear ended back in early April. I was stopped at a light and an uninsured dude just plowed into me at 35/40 mph, but fortunately nobody was seriously injured (other than the sun visor came loose and karate chopped me in the forehead leaving a nice scar. Regardless, significant damage. It took me a couple weeks to get it into a body shop (mostly my procrastination and I had other stuff I was busy with) so it went in on April 15.

For a while they were telling me the body work was done and they just couldn’t get new seatbelts (the old ones had the tensioner or whatever go off in the wreck and don’t work). Then they told me it was just nebulous parts. Then three weeks ago they told me it was disassembled. This was a surprise since I thought we were waiting for seatbelts. Well it’s been “being reassembled” for the last three weeks and they keep telling me next week. At this point, it’s been over two months and they keep talking about parts they can’t get but can’t tell me what those parts are. I’m pretty close to just going down there and trying to find somebody who can tell me what’s going on, but then I thought well maybe between supply chain poo poo and labor shortage and all this is just everyone’s experience lately. If it is, then I’m not sure what I can do by going down there but the communication has been absolutely abysmal so I don’t even know exactly what’s going on

I don't know what country you're in but if you drive a Jeep I'm guessing you're American - I would ask to speak to the manager and explain that it's getting a bit much and that you require they send you an email in which is found an itemized list of what needs to be done, when it will be done, etc. If they give you any kind of grief I would immediately involve the better business bureau.

I'm guessing this is an insurance thing right and you're not paying for this out of pocket? I hope you're taking the insurance company for as much as you can if you literally have a facial scar as the result of this accident.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah this is the United States and my insurance is covering it (the guy who hit me was uninsured). Thanks! I will ask for that stuff. I knew it would be longer than usual to have it in the shop (last time I needed a body shop was a decade ago and it took a week maybe) but it’s been over two months now and like I said the communication is awful

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah this is the United States and my insurance is covering it (the guy who hit me was uninsured). Thanks! I will ask for that stuff. I knew it would be longer than usual to have it in the shop (last time I needed a body shop was a decade ago and it took a week maybe) but it’s been over two months now and like I said the communication is awful

Sounds good - I forgot to mention it but I would also make a point of requesting after your initial phone call that communication be in writing (email). This lets them know you're taking this seriously and that you are prepared to take appropriate action on your behalf to ensure you aren't being led around in a circle. It sucks but this is a squeaky wheel situation and what you don't want is for your work to be put on the back burner because someone else is making more noise than you.

e: I wasn't kidding about the forehead scar thing, if I was in an accident (especially when you're 0% at fault) and one of the outcomes was a scar on my face I'd be looking at lawyers right away and not signing anything from the insurance company. It doesn't really matter that the other party is uninsured because you're making a claim against your own insurance (uninsured motorist coverage). I would estimate at least $10k payout for that and to be honest it seems entirely reasonable.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds good - I forgot to mention it but I would also make a point of requesting after your initial phone call that communication be in writing (email). This lets them know you're taking this seriously and that you are prepared to take appropriate action on your behalf to ensure you aren't being led around in a circle. It sucks but this is a squeaky wheel situation and what you don't want is for your work to be put on the back burner because someone else is making more noise than you.

e: I wasn't kidding about the forehead scar thing, if I was in an accident (especially when you're 0% at fault) and one of the outcomes was a scar on my face I'd be looking at lawyers right away and not signing anything from the insurance company. It doesn't really matter that the other party is uninsured because you're making a claim against your own insurance (uninsured motorist coverage). I would estimate at least $10k payout for that and to be honest it seems entirely reasonable.

Thanks! That’s good advice. The scar was something I initially hoped wouldn’t scar but it was an awkward place (between the eyebrow ridges). Honestly I hadn’t even considered if that’s the kind of thing a policy would cover. The medical claim just paid for the zoom care visit that treated it but I didn’t sign anything waiving any rights so I’ll look into it. I could certainly use $10k and gently caress insurance companies

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Thanks! That’s good advice. The scar was something I initially hoped wouldn’t scar but it was an awkward place (between the eyebrow ridges). Honestly I hadn’t even considered if that’s the kind of thing a policy would cover. The medical claim just paid for the zoom care visit that treated it but I didn’t sign anything waiving any rights so I’ll look into it. I could certainly use $10k and gently caress insurance companies

Do a free 15 minute lawyer consultation before you do that. Make sure you aren't leaving money on the table, though blood from a stone if the other party isn't insured. They probably also don't have any assets.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't have any more good advice, but last year my mom had the car at a shop for weeks while they fixed everything except a small rubber trim piece around the wheel well that was very hard to get due to manufacturing shortages from covid. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting on a part.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they were telling lies to make it seem like they aren't just sitting there waiting for it.

(my mom was able to get the car back and just drive it without the trim piece until it came into town, when the shop people came and snapped it on in her driveway)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Do a free 15 minute lawyer consultation before you do that. Make sure you aren't leaving money on the table, though blood from a stone if the other party isn't insured. They probably also don't have any assets.

Yeah. The guy who hit me was driving a 15+ year old sonata with expired tags. I don’t expect he has much to get at

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Not sure it’ll be any consolation, but my partner’s 2009 Honda Civic has been in the same situation as your Jeep since March, after she had a crash on a patch of black ice. No other cars were involved luckily and her insurance was great. The body work has been done for months but the shop is waiting for one specific part from Honda to finish the job, I believe it might also be related to the seatbelt system. She calls the shop every month for an update and gets the same answer, that they’re still waiting on the manufacturer. Latest estimate is mid July but LOL. I can imagine this situation being a lot worse for others, as we have my beater for errands and she can walk to work.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

It's also important to consider if a car is a series hybrid or parallel hybrid. In a series hybrid, at least, the engije basically runs at its most efficient state. There are a tremendous amount of losses when it doesn't, though thankfully those are mostly transient conditions.

What pure series hybrids are actually sold in the US? The only one that I'm aware of is the BMW i3, and it gets pretty awful fuel economy for its size, tiny tires, and aero when running on gas, 31mpg on premium.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Happy to help! Just to reiterate, the claim you'd be making is against your own insurance company's policy which you have paid for. It's the uninsured motorist clause and it doesn't matter if that person is Elon Musk or a homeless guy, you're not going after them in any way, you're seeking appropriate compensation from your insurance, which is why you have it. I hope it goes well for you and I'm sorry you have to go through any of this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Twerk from Home posted:

What pure series hybrids are actually sold in the US? The only one that I'm aware of is the BMW i3, and it gets pretty awful fuel economy for its size, tiny tires, and aero when running on gas, 31mpg on premium.

Oh yeah it wasn't so much a practical statement as more of a technical distinction because as an engineer, I don't care about reality. Also because some people may not even know such a difference exists.

I mean that's not really true, but it does mean that that's the sort of thing my mind goes to when questions feel general/theoretical.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

SeldomSeen posted:

I have never worked at a dealership where we did not have a bucket of random mystery keys collected over years. Bring them coffee and ask if they have one that matches yours. I might even have one I can mail you from here (Canada)

HashtagGirlboss posted:

it went in on April 15.

gloom posted:

She calls the shop every month for an update and gets the same answer, that they’re still waiting on the manufacturer. Latest estimate is mid July but LOL.

I have at least a dozen customers at body shops with incomplete cars waiting on parts from our various brands. We keep getting release dates that get pushed back over and over. So we tell a shop June 15, then by the 12th or 15th even it updates and says July 30. So much supply chain and shipping delay fuckery. It’s probably no one’s fault.

At the same time, the poor communication is the easiest thing to fix, but the hardest thing to get. People are so lazy and get distracted. I will literally remind someone to call a customer 3 times and by 5pm find out they still haven’t done it because something else distracted them.

No, it’s not my job to call. Yes, I will often do so anyway.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I picked up a car with a vaguely unknown history and it is overall in impressively good shape, however it's doing one thing that is driving me nuts. Once it is warmed up, intermittently I get an almost diesel sounding putt putt putt that almost sounds a little wet, only when moving and only when I have applied throttle. The frequency of the putt's seems to be linked to the speed of the car. There is no affect on smoothness or power it's purely audible. Seems to be coming from the right side of the engine bay.

Context:
1997 Mercedes C230
265,000km
5 speed auto

Has sat for the last year from what I understand, changed plugs, cleaned MAF and throttle body, new air filter. Oil change this week as I'm just waiting on the weirdo 76mm filter cap socket. The throttle body was very very dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Twerk from Home posted:

All those Union Pacific engines obvs.