Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

drat I knew she was thick as pigshit but imagine being so easily rattled by someone just not genuflecting before your TV presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao @ "I'm not suggesting anything just asking you to clarify for the british public"

Just ask the man if he's gonna beat people up instead of dancing around it.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Should have told her that union heavies in flat caps with names like Buster and Knuckles are going to bash the agency workers with their placards like something out of the beano. Just really lean into it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I, personally, will put the entire government in a headlock if negotiations are not concluded in our favour by tomorrow.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I hadn't seen much Mick Lynch before this week but he's come off quite well in the face of some hostile media.

Yeah, same. I've seen several interviews with him now and he's very good at remaining calm and on-point under hostile/irrelevant/inaccurate questioning while also treating such things with the contempt they deserve.

His occasional turns to the picket line in the background of that interview show some great comic timing on his part too.

"Does it look like the miner's strike? What are you talking about?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is a disgrace.
Postmasters falsely accused of stealing in the Horizon dodgy software scandal and who had wages docked unable to claim compo if they missed deadline of a scheme of which they were unaware.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/21/post-office-it-scandal-victims-may-be-disqualified-from-compensation-scheme

(Sorry phone posting so haven't copied article).

Also:
Seeing quite a few labour MPs on twitter saying they're on the picket lines.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So the people who think that strikers should be punished, if those strikers then just quit instead, do they want them to be dragged back and forced into employment? What if no-one wants to do the poo poo job with bad pay, do we round up any able bodied people and chain them to the station while screaming "YOU WORK HERE NOW!!!"?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What if no-one wants to do the poo poo job with bad pay, do we round up any able bodied people and chain them to the station while screaming "YOU WORK HERE NOW!!!"?

This is why we have the army.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back national service for people younger than me. Scrap benefits for people poorer then me. Release leopards to eat the faces of people other than me.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

iirc the spanish atc's all got forcibly conscripted and made to work under 'military supervision' which I guess means at gunpoint

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Think_Blue_Sky/status/1539155864086532096?t=X2IQf3KpKcNAUnWMDADHCg&s=19

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

"Would you put the boot in Mr Lynch? Would you cave their skulls in Mr Lynch? Would you slap the poo poo out of them Mr Lyn.. oh God I'm there!"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't think she was really at Waterloo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1539156744617791489?s=20&t=ldDLoJgd_AArlTi9W_0WjA

My definitely real 17 year old lodger from Ukraine who has never heard of trade unions, & apparently doesn't realise that buses exist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1539156744617791489?s=20&t=ldDLoJgd_AArlTi9W_0WjA

My definitely real 17 year old lodger from Ukraine who has never heard of trade unions, & apparently doesn't realise that buses exist.

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1539186656665812992?t=44pyKDKsd6PIG_05yShkgg&s=19

My Ukrainian is just out of frame, crying

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1539220869318311936

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Some bus staff appear to be striking too TBF.

I know because I'm trying to figure out how to get to the airport on Thursday without a car. So far the best plan is to spend hours waiting in a queue hoping I get onto one of the few trains running.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

I know because I'm trying to figure out how to get to the airport on Thursday without a car. So far the best plan is to spend hours waiting in a queue hoping I get onto one of the few trains running.

Well she's talking about using the tube & as far as I can tell there are no bus strikes in London going by the TfL website.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quite a few people have already pointed out that it's not actually legal for a 17 year old to work in a bar. Also that it's unlikely that this girl would be asking about rail strikes, because Ukraine had a rail strike just last year.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

I love how Tories point at the country burning down around them, after more than a decade of them being in charge, and just say, 'this is what things would look like under Labour!'

Like, surely even their most ardent supporters can't be blind to the fact that, actually, Labour aren't in charge, and haven't been for ages?
It's very revealing of how they and their supporters think of politics, IMO. Sensible, Centrist Politics™ doesn't make changes in people's lives or cause events to happen; it exists primarily to create and protect the ability of business to implement changes to society according to the demands of the market. Therefore, the strikes aren't the result of political policy, since the sensible Tories have been in power for over a decade and sensible politics doesn't cause things to happen. The strikes are just a business dispute and so the only thing to do politically is to allow the business and its workers to come to an agreement, and to point out that a radical government like Labour changing society directly would upset the market and cause more things like this to happen!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I believe this outlook is also why Starmer is so eager to have no opinions or goals at all. The perfect centrist politician is one who does at little interfering as possible so the wondrous free market can get on with building and changing society according to the perfectly democratic whims of the free market.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My 133 year old Ukrainian lodger is so upset by the train strikes that he massacred the rail bosses with a maxim gun welded on the back of a pickup truck and declared a stateless society of the workers and cossacks. He's off to find some landlords and bishops now.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
And that Ukrainian lodger's name?

Albert Einstein.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my 17 year old ukranian lodger is the new 'my five year old came home from playgroup'

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I believe this outlook is also why Starmer is so eager to have no opinions or goals at all. The perfect centrist politician is one who does at little interfering as possible so the wondrous free market can get on with building and changing society according to the perfectly democratic whims of the free market.

In that I think he's pitching to what I call the 'PistonHeads Libertarian' crowd - late-middle aged small business owners with BTL portfolios who bang on about wanting small government that just gets out of their way and lets them get on with life...but also wants roving armed squads to round up asylum seekers, benefits claimants to receive food vouchers and scrub graffiti, police to have the right to stop and search people, ram yoofs off their mopeds and truncheon climate protestors and (apparently) Ofcom to regulate the ethnicity and sexuality of everyone who appears on TV to match the ONS demographic data.

Hands-off free market for me, oppressive police state for the others.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Archimbaldo/status/1539234609690468353

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my 17 year old ukranian lodger is the new 'my five year old came home from playgroup'
My five year old came home from playgroup and said have we not often repeated that as long as there are capitalists, this abuse of power will be perpetuated It is precisely the State, the would-be benefactor, that has given to the companies that monopoly which they possess to-day. Has it not created concessions, guarantees? Has it not sent its soldiers against railwaymen on strike? And during the first trials (we see it in Russia), has it not extended the privilege to forbidding the press mentioning railway accidents, so as not to depreciate the shares it guaranteed? Has it not favoured the monopoly which has anointed the Vanderbilts and the Polyakoffs, the directors of the P.L.M., the C.P.R., the St. Gothard, “the kings of the times”?

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SuperBenjiX/status/1539202384529858560

Whos buying these accounts?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
lmao, just lmao at the state of this. Even Rafael Behr can't polish this turd despite trying so hard:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/strikes-starmer-labour-strategy

choice quotes:

muffled sounds from between luke akehurst's arsecheeks posted:

Starmer deserves credit for taking the capsized vessel of his party, straightening the rudder and getting it buoyant again, but even his supporters worry that he is now becalmed.

typing one-handed while thinking about tony blair posted:

Strikes are never going to be a favourite subject for the Labour leader. He is more romantically attached to his party’s roots in the union movement than is recognised by his critics on the left. But he also understands that waving placards and joining protest marches is how Labour signals to voters that it is comfortable in opposition, which is a reason why the party keeps failing to get into government.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First builders, now this, time to write another column about how woke england isn't even recognizable anymore from my mcmansion villa in Florida.

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1538911383848468485

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So the people who think that strikers should be punished, if those strikers then just quit instead, do they want them to be dragged back and forced into employment? What if no-one wants to do the poo poo job with bad pay, do we round up any able bodied people and chain them to the station while screaming "YOU WORK HERE NOW!!!"?

Generally that goes hand in hand with "you obviously aren't desperate enough if you will turn down work" usually said from a comfortable retirement.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Remarkable similarity…

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Private Speech posted:

While it sounds like that commentator may actually have a couple of lodgers (otherwise it's quite a commitment to the bit), it is pretty much impossible to get around parts of London right now - with the trains and tubes stopped there's just an endless parade of completely-full buses not stopping at stops.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

First builders, now this, time to write another column about how woke england isn't even recognizable anymore from my mcmansion villa in Florida.

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1538911383848468485

lol a former coal miner, couldn't have picked a worse lad to interview

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Red Oktober posted:

While it sounds like that commentator may actually have a couple of lodgers (otherwise it's quite a commitment to the bit), it is pretty much impossible to get around parts of London right now - with the trains and tubes stopped there's just an endless parade of completely-full buses not stopping at stops.

Are.... the people trapped on board? Kidnapped by nefarious striking drivers?
My god, Some one tell the Daily Mail!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my five year old rushed into the room to tell us a spooky story about a ghost that was haunting europe! the things kids will say nowadays!!

- mrs norman engels, london

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maliciously buying a day ticket and riding the bus round in circles just so that nobody else can use it while wearing my sickos shirt and staring out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Am about to get on board a bus from Wood Green to Warren Street :ohdear: