Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Spiggy posted:

You understand counter steering. You might not think you do, but if you've been on a bicycle your body already knows how the bike is going to move.

this is actually a good point, I haven't been out on my road bike since the course ended last week but the physics should translate

to say i'm excited is understating it, the challenge of getting good at riding is tickling me in ways that cars never did

whats the general consensus on courses after starting? i was thinking of doing the intermediate MSF but i feel like focusing on mastering low speed/casual street driving is the way to go for the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MSPain posted:

what is the best beginner-friendly motorcycle that doesn't look like it came from Cybertron and transforms into a can of monster energy drink

Honda CB300R has a futuristic ish retro look about it that's not a mess of hard lines and angles and other funny stuff. But uhh that's about it unless you're looking at like a dual sport/supermoto style thing.

Spiggy posted:

My bike came with some aftermarket levers on it and have felt good in the monthish I've had it. The other day I went and googled the company and found out they're Amazon bargain specials. How difficult of a job is it to swap them out with a better set if I'm a novice at motorcycle repairs?

I swapped my clutch lever after a parking lot tip over in under half an hour and I'm an absolutely terrible mechanic. I watched a youtube video of how to do it on my bike and went slowly.

dk2m posted:

this is actually a good point, I haven't been out on my road bike since the course ended last week but the physics should translate

to say i'm excited is understating it, the challenge of getting good at riding is tickling me in ways that cars never did

whats the general consensus on courses after starting? i was thinking of doing the intermediate MSF but i feel like focusing on mastering low speed/casual street driving is the way to go for the near future?

Find a parking lot, buy your own little flat cone pack and make your own MSF practice course. Taking more courses in different things is always a good idea, but wait a bit. Check your local area, depending on who is the rider course cartel there will be some mix of the following...There's intermediate MSF (which is just the riding portion of the msf on your own bike), advanced rider course (half day of parking lot riding, same maneuvers just faster speeds and some modifications for difficulty), total control 1 and 2 (these are based on the Lee Parks book and instruction). Also, if you have a track nearby you can do a track day. Take a dirt riding course even if you're just riding on pavement, it'll teach you about bike control, you get to try a new form of riding and maybe you prefer to be on the dirt instead. There are also spendy track clinics that are several days long but you get 1 on 1 instruction, Champ School is the most popular one i think. If you're in SoCal, check out socal supermoto and go have a blast.

The benefit of doing a course vs setting up your own basic exercises is that there's someone observing and telling you what you're potentially doing wrong. In the dirt/supermoto courses you get to use their bikes so you don't have to have your own.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 21, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Spiggy posted:

My bike came with some aftermarket levers on it and have felt good in the monthish I've had it. The other day I went and googled the company and found out they're Amazon bargain specials. How difficult of a job is it to swap them out with a better set if I'm a novice at motorcycle repairs?

The process usually involves one nut + bolt per lever and depending on your clutch maybe a cable adjuster (turning a knob), it's not difficult. Some Amazon specials aren't that bad - not CRG quality but not complete and total trash, either. Do the levers have a lot of up/down slop in them or do they pretty much move in the axes they're supposed to?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Honda CB300R has a futuristic ish retro look about it that's not a mess of hard lines and angles and other funny stuff.

It's pretty nice looking except for the exhaust looking like some chrome and black lump. Disclaimer: I own one and it's my first bike so I'm probably biased.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

The benefit of doing a course vs setting up your own basic exercises is that there's someone observing and telling you what you're potentially doing wrong. In the dirt/supermoto courses you get to use their bikes so you don't have to have your own.

this is incredibly helpful, thank you so much. good to know that waiting a bit makes sense. the first order of business I have for myself is just building muscle memory across the board. the amount of times i stalled the little grom I had was pretty embarassing.

I'm in NorCal but bookmarked socal supermoto because it does indeed look like a blast if I'm ever in the area.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiggy posted:

Basic hand tools + grease for the pivots. Getting the clutch cable adjustment wrong is the biggest danger, you need to leave a little slack in the clutch lever that results in a few millimeters of play at the lever pivot.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I like the Tu250x as a starter bike, except the rear drum.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Also, if you have a track nearby you can do a track day.

This is good, but I’d probably get ~6 months under your belt first.

dk2m posted:

I'm in NorCal

This would be a gentle introduction coming up in October.

https://z2trackdays.com/rr20/

I actually haven’t done this yet, but I’m definitely interested. I’m unfortunately already committed to something else on Oct 3, otherwise I’d consider going. You spend the day in the parking lot doing whatever drills they work on, and at the end of the day you get two 15 minute (I think?) session on track with your classmates. Sonoma Raceway rules.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My partner would probably be happiest on a dual sport, but she’s really intimidated by the height. I predict something very small is in her future and then the first time she hops on one with some hours and more confidence, she’ll be trading in for a dual sport as fast as she can.

Maybe I’ll get myself one in a year or so as a second bike and just happen to order a lower seat just in case.

In the mean time, I’m not sad that she wants to take it slow. She’s a researcher by nature and I should assemble all of Slavvy’s physics of bikes posts into a Google doc for her or something.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'd love to get something like a DRZ400SM but a seat height of 35 inches isn't going to happen with my barely 29 inch inseams and I'm not hopping off at every stop. Being short sucks yo

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You only need to be able to put your left foot down with the other on the rear brake. Flat footing is overrated. I'm 6'1 and my inseam is nowhere close to 35 inches.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

scooch your butt over and put one leg down

penny farthing that poo poo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Carteret posted:

You only need to be able to put your left foot down with the other on the rear brake. Flat footing is overrated. I'm 6'1 and my inseam is nowhere close to 35 inches.

I'm well aware, I've got a couple of dirt bikes with seat heights in that range. It's not happening in traffic and that's the end of it. If I'm honest, my inseam is closer to 28 inches. A half a foot isn't going to be scootch-your-butted out of way
I'm not taking about flat footing it, I'm talking about even being able to touch ground with a toe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lower it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I should have addressed that, too. I hate lowering links and how they gently caress up the suspension. I've wasted money on that before (Kuba for a KLX300R)
I'll stick to dirt bikes on the many trails and dunes around here.
To be clear, I'm not unfamiliar with riding bikes taller than me. My 250EXC is at 35 inches and it's kick start only.
If I had to deal with that seat height on my commute, I'd take the car instead.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 21, 2022

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Jazzzzz posted:

The process usually involves one nut + bolt per lever and depending on your clutch maybe a cable adjuster (turning a knob), it's not difficult. Some Amazon specials aren't that bad - not CRG quality but not complete and total trash, either. Do the levers have a lot of up/down slop in them or do they pretty much move in the axes they're supposed to?

There's no play in any plane that shouldn't have any. I'm at the point in ownership where I'm looking for an excuse to put money into it on ~farkles~ instead of just buying more gas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiggy posted:

There's no play in any plane that shouldn't have any. I'm at the point in ownership where I'm looking for an excuse to put money into it on ~farkles~ instead of just buying more gas.
Why not spend money on stuff that actually does something? Eg tyres and brakes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Suspension after those two! You can spend infinite money on suspension.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Slavvy posted:

I'm ignorant and never considered upgrading brakes. I'm watching a video of people upgrading an MT-03 and brake pads look easy. Changing out the suspension is going to be a completely different beast tho.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Spiggy posted:

I'm ignorant and never considered upgrading brakes. I'm watching a video of people upgrading an MT-03 and brake pads look easy. Changing out the suspension is going to be a completely different beast tho.

IMO best, easiest, and most cost effective way to upgrade any bike is stainless brake lines. You can get them in any color which also meets your desire to farkle. This with some new pads and fluids will make a very noticeable difference in the brakes and let you get your feet wet with maintenance and modding. Changing springs and preload is easy, If suspension is within your budget but out of your skill set there's always someone local that can do it for a cost.

A painful lesson we all learn eventually is mods that don't improve brakes, suspension, or practicality (storage) are bad and a waste of time and money.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiggy posted:

Start with tyres. Your tires are garbage and good ones will totally transform the bike. After that, sintered pads and braided lines.

Suspension mods are usually really expensive and probably not worth doing on a first bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I upgraded to some Diablo Rosso 3s for my MT03 and it made a dramatic difference. Highly recommend.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

IMO best, easiest, and most cost effective way to upgrade any bike is stainless brake lines.

In the era of ABS upgrading brake lines can be a pain in the rear end (e.g. Yamaha have hard lines connected to the ABS junction box on the MT* series that are a joy to remove) but it's still worth it

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I had to take my MT07 to a shop to do my brake lines. If it was on ABS I'd be ok but its too much for my apartment parking lot :(

I wish houses with garages weren't unobtanium in this hosed market.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Slavvy posted:

Start with tyres. Your tires are garbage and good ones will totally transform the bike. After that, sintered pads and braided lines.

I’m still shocked at how big a difference new tires made on my Roadster. New tires and a new seat were like an entirely new bike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone have anything to say about Michelin Road 6 or Metzeler Roadtec 1? I have Shinkos right now. I can't say I've had any traction issues but thus far I am a conservative rider. Cooler weather here in general. Lot of rain. I don't seek riding in the rain but don't go out of the way to avoid it. Only 2000 miles in and there is a lot of tread left under 300cc

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 22, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pilot roads are the gold standard for cold and wet. I'm not a fan of metzelers so I don't tend to deal with them; results seem to vary wildly from rider to rider and that inconsistency is usually a red flag for me.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
How much wiggle room do I have with tire sizes? My stock sizes are 110/140-70-17 but finding stuff that's well reviewed, in stock, and in those sizes is easier said than done. I might just buy some Diablo Rossi IIs and be done with it even if some of the sportiness is wasted by my bike being used to navigate urban hell 99% of the time.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wouldn’t try sizing up or down but I also don’t know anything.

That said, Revzilla has Bridgestone S22 as well as Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 in stock in your size. I haven’t ridden the S22, but I’m sure they’re fine. The Diablo Rosso are good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The s22 is great on bigger bikes, got no reason to think they'd be any different on smaller stuff.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

should I put shinko 705s on my drz? they seem like they'd be pretty alright for out here

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

But Not Tonight posted:

should I put shinko 705s on my drz? they seem like they'd be pretty alright for out here

they’re way better than they have any right being at their price point. I’ve done plenty of dumb poo poo in the dirt on my 1290SAR on them and they’ve been great

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I think I want a supermoto for my next bike assuming I ever have the cash for it. I used to mountainbike a lot so the idea of a long travel bike I don't have to pedal is quite attractive and like a long travel bike I imagine they're an awful lot of fun.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think I want a supermoto for my next bike assuming I ever have the cash for it. I used to mountainbike a lot so the idea of a long travel bike I don't have to pedal is quite attractive and like a long travel bike I imagine they're an awful lot of fun.

The great thing is there are very few options

DRZ400SM
KLX300SM
690/701 from ktm/husky

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Worth noting that the KLX300SM has manageable seat height even for short guys. Too bad it's so hard to find and/or being sold above MSRP.
I've got a KLX300R (my son's actually) and it's a fun bike off-road.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have received an injury while motorcycling. I went on a long twisty rural ride yesterday and stopped in a forest and strung my hammock up for some rest halfway through. Back on the bike at speed again something bit my inner thigh. Ants in my pants I thought and carried on thought it hurt a lot for being a forest ant. Today I have a large painful welt. Next time the boots come into the hammock or get otherwise suspended I guess.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I somewhat burned my clumsy hand because it touched the header as I was trying to gently caress around with the oil filler plug.

A few weeks back I was riding some new to me forest trails and my shin collided with the end of a thick branch stump.
I got a huge loving bruise that lasted for ~4 weeks and that was with proper boots on.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

This is a good supermoto to start on
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275343686823

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Start and finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

"Custom Rear Tail-Tiddy"