Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Yea we had 4 people and for 3 hours and a few drinks each it was $320…

Which… whatever, it would have been fine if it get like I was actually playing golf.

In my opinion it's more of a winter activity when the courses are all closed. It's just so expensive and kinda subpar compared to just actually golfing to go out to those places if the courses are open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Re: ARCCOS - I've used them on and off for 2 years. When I quit the first time (about a year ago), they were HORRIBLE on Android. Like, so incredibly inefficient that they would drain my phone battery by hole 12. My buddies with iPhones would maybe lose 30-40% for the entire round.

I switched to Golfpad (@Josh Lyman) which are true NFC tags. They don't wreck battery life, and they have a neat shot overlay when you play with a buddy who also uses the system (very similar to ShotTracker on the PGA Tour), along with standard GPS features (front, middle, back, pin, "plays like" after accounting for weather and wind). I think it's a yearly subscription ($20?).

The only drawback is that you must have your phone in your pocket, and you have to physically tap the sensor (on the butt of your grip) to your phone to track the shot. For people who are used to pressing a button on some gadget to do this, it's no big deal. Going from Arccos where it used accelerometers and microphones to detect shots, it was an adjustment.

The Arccos Link has changed things for me. It very rarely misses shots, doesn't drain my battery anymore than the iPhone crew. The iPhone crew still have a feature or two that Android doesn't, perhaps the biggest being the Social feature. iOS Arccos people get to scroll through each other's rounds; Android doesn't have that, even on the dashboard.

Being a Gen 1 adopter, I'm grandfathered in from subscription fees for Arccos. I wonder if I can do this free trial for sensors, or at least give them to my old man to see if he likes them.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kameh posted:

Re: ARCCOS - I've used them on and off for 2 years. When I quit the first time (about a year ago), they were HORRIBLE on Android. Like, so incredibly inefficient that they would drain my phone battery by hole 12. My buddies with iPhones would maybe lose 30-40% for the entire round.

I switched to Golfpad (@Josh Lyman) which are true NFC tags. They don't wreck battery life, and they have a neat shot overlay when you play with a buddy who also uses the system (very similar to ShotTracker on the PGA Tour), along with standard GPS features (front, middle, back, pin, "plays like" after accounting for weather and wind). I think it's a yearly subscription ($20?).

The only drawback is that you must have your phone in your pocket, and you have to physically tap the sensor (on the butt of your grip) to your phone to track the shot. For people who are used to pressing a button on some gadget to do this, it's no big deal. Going from Arccos where it used accelerometers and microphones to detect shots, it was an adjustment.

The Arccos Link has changed things for me. It very rarely misses shots, doesn't drain my battery anymore than the iPhone crew. The iPhone crew still have a feature or two that Android doesn't, perhaps the biggest being the Social feature. iOS Arccos people get to scroll through each other's rounds; Android doesn't have that, even on the dashboard.

Being a Gen 1 adopter, I'm grandfathered in from subscription fees for Arccos. I wonder if I can do this free trial for sensors, or at least give them to my old man to see if he likes them.

I did the same. Tried switching from Arccos to golfpad, but couldn't get used to scanning the club every shot. I don't have a link, but my apple watch picks up shots so I can leave my phone in the bag and not think about it. I usually end up having to adjust the number of putts at the end of the round, but that's not too bad.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
This thread is very interested in all the drama and upheavals in the world of Golf. And what interests me about it is the stuff that stays the same. I just like how dependable it is that it's a bunch of people on grass. I see with the eyes of a pure, pure baby.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Omne posted:

Trip report: Walked the nine-hole par 36 Disney Oak Trail course today. It was 94 with a heat index of 102 when I teed off.

Played pretty terribly. My drives are still going too far to the left, while my irons are going right (assuming I don't top them). My farthest drive was on a dogleg but it went out of bounds and couldn't find it, but I had put my provisional right in the fairway. Next hole I put two straight drives out of bounds and ended up with a 9. Overall, shot a 54. No pars or better, so the search for my elusive first birdie remains.

Pace of play was 1:42, and I waited on a few holes to tee off. Emptied my water bottle and refilled two more times, completely sweat through my shirt. But it was fun.

I live 40 minutes from there. I have the plus annual pass that lets me play for free. I never have given up on it this early. Usually it's close to July 4th. See you in September. Not even kidding. Not worth it to drive and sweat that much for that course and wait on tourists.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

A commentator just used the phrase "Yardage Book" which I'd never heard about until now. I didn't realise just how much homework goes into these shots.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

A commentator just used the phrase "Yardage Book" which I'd never heard about until now. I didn't realise just how much homework goes into these shots.

Normally the laser rangefinders aren't allowed at tournaments, so players and caddies have little flip books showing each hole and the yardage based on landmarks. Players use the same one year after year, adding more notes to it to try to do better the next year. They're pretty intense.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got my shipping notification for the arccos stuff today, so that's cool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ditto.

Also inquired into some country club golf package prices here in Cary, North Carolina. Time to take the game back up.

Can’t wait to see just how much I can’t afford these memberships lol

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I checked the US Open scores yesterday and Morikawa was tied for first. Then this morning I read he finished two over par. Woah, what went wrong there?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Colin’s game has been out of sorts this year. That he was even tied for the lead to start the day was pretty surprising with how he’s played recently. And the U.S. Open is usually set up in such a way that if your game is off even a little you can wrack up bad holes in a hurry.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
His putting was exposed on Saturday.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Just looking at the scoreboard it seems that generally people did noticably worse on Saturday than they did in the earlier rounds. I don't know if that's due to pin location? At any rate Collin did a lot worse and those people who actually did better on Saturday seem to be clustered at the top of the board.

So I guess this a "don't count your chickens till they've hatched" sort of thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

Just looking at the scoreboard it seems that generally people did noticably worse on Saturday than they did in the earlier rounds. I don't know if that's due to pin location? At any rate Collin did a lot worse and those people who actually did better on Saturday seem to be clustered at the top of the board.

So I guess this a "don't count your chickens till they've hatched" sort of thing.
That’s why they play the game. There’s even a saying, “The Masters doesn’t begin until the back 9 on Sunday.” Just last month, Mito Pereira had a 1 shot lead going into the final hole of the PGA Championship and double bogeyed. And then there’s this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8Qj91T3o0

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 19, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, why is the guy taking his shoes off lol? This commentary is wild.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

These guys aren't golfers! They grass gladiators shouting to the spectators, thinly held back by army of redshirts, "are you not entertained?"

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Just went and played the Yale course today, such a cool track from a layout perspective. I can’t wait to see what Gil Hanse does with it because if they can get it in something remotely resembling country club condition it has a chance to be spectacular. Maybe top 50 golf course in the country.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Whenever it's a Par 5 the commentators get their hopes up that someone's going to score an eagle.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Shame no one will be watching because of the Open ‘cause this is a hell of a playoff lineup

https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1538645524043079680

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Looks like Kupcho just tapped them out nope but I've been back and forth along with baseball on YouTube TV. The preview option is great to see which one is showing something good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

Shame no one will be watching because of the Open ‘cause this is a hell of a playoff lineup

https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1538645524043079680
Yeah, I posted this in the U.S. Open thread yesterday:

Josh Lyman posted:

I was watching the LPGA event and their leaderboard, the top 6 are all major champs and ranked in the top 16 but the leader is -18. Completely different vibe here.
I’m watching the final round now. Leaderboard is stacked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We go from a major for the men to one for the women: The Women’s PGA Championship is here in DC next week at Congressional Country Club where Rory McIlroy won the U.S. Open in 2011. I will be a walking scorer which means I’ll be inside the ropes with players. Hopefully I get paired with some big names but looking at my tee times and the TV airtimes, probably not :(. I’ll be working the pro-am on Tuesday afternoon, then Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning.

We had on-site training today and the course was eerie. It was super empty as they finish setting up and only a handful of players were practicing. I probably should’ve done more exploring, inside the clubhouse and what not in case that’s closed off during the week, but I felt like I was trespassing the whole time. I recognized Christina Kim on the putting green and Emma Talley on the range, but I didn’t want to be a bother. There IS a whole week of golf to see, although today would’ve been my best chance to actually interact with players and pick their brains.

Hole 10 is a short downhill par 3.

The clubhouse is the largest in the country and there was a doorman today.

#1 ball in golf, #1 trailer to arrive on site. (Oh poo poo maybe I could’ve talked to them?)

P dece

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 20, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

Awesome! Keep posting! Also impressions of whatever redesign they’ve done at Congressional ‘cause I’m lowkey tired of that golf course in (mens) professional events and hope it’s changing a good bit.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 20, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

Awesome! Keep posting! Also impressions of whatever redesign they’ve done at Congressional ‘cause I’m lowkey tired of that golf course in (mens) professional events and hope it’s changing a good bit.
I didn’t watch much of the 2011 U.S. Open and never watched any of the PGA Tour events so I’m not familiar with the course pre-redesign. This article does a good job of discussing the changes. Everyone agreed the old design was boring. The new one is supposed to be legit good.

https://www.globalgolfpost.com/featured/a-whole-new-blue/

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Today I learned to not overthink my bunker shots. 2 over through 8 holes, got a birdie on 8 and teed up on 9. 185 meters over water with bunkers all around the green. I hit a nice 6 iron but it lands in the left side bunker, just pulled it a bit.

The ball sat up a bit in the sand and I was worried about going straight under it. So I close the clubface a bit and put it back in the stance and...flub it straight into the same bunker. The next shot, instead of just playing to keep it in play, I try a fancy open face thing and hit it off the hosel into another bunker. Finally, I accept I've hosed myself and just hit a normal bunker shot out and two putt for triple bogey.

Because there was nobody around, I setup another bunker shot exactly the same as my first, on the little mound etc, and instead of overthinking it for the par save I just aimed at the pin and hit a normal shot. Comes out totally normally and I knock it in from 4 foot for par :thumbsup:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I mean, a “fancy open face thing” is the correct way to hit a greenside bunker shot. Trying it hit it like a normal pitch is actually much harder to successfully execute consistently. Just gotta practice bunker shots, same as you would any other part of your game.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, a “fancy open face thing” is the correct way to hit a greenside bunker shot. Trying it hit it like a normal pitch is actually much harder to successfully execute consistently. Just gotta practice bunker shots, same as you would any other part of your game.

It's hard to describe what I mean but normally with bunker shots I open the face and the stance and kinda take a measured swing at it, and the ball will always leave the bunker but it's hard to make stop when short sided. In this instance I was shortsided onto a downhill slope so I tried to open it up even further and really just dig it out of there and I just totally hosed it.

A good comparison would be a pitch verses a flop, the pitch is predictable and repeatable but sometimes you gotta go with the flop. In my situation, I way overthought both of the first two bunker shots and tried to do something low percentage for what turned out to be no reason anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

abigserve posted:

It's hard to describe what I mean but normally with bunker shots I open the face and the stance and kinda take a measured swing at it, and the ball will always leave the bunker but it's hard to make stop when short sided. In this instance I was shortsided onto a downhill slope so I tried to open it up even further and really just dig it out of there and I just totally hosed it.

A good comparison would be a pitch verses a flop, the pitch is predictable and repeatable but sometimes you gotta go with the flop. In my situation, I way overthought both of the first two bunker shots and tried to do something low percentage for what turned out to be no reason anyway.
Ah okay, that’s more of a course management thing then. You went for a shot with a high degree of difficulty and didn’t pull it off.

Something you can do if your normal bunker technique isn’t enough to stop the ball is to squat more and lower your hands at address and through impact. This will help elevate the shot even more.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Arccos sensors will be here tomorrow, holy poo poo that was fast shipping. That's awesome as I have 2 rounds lined up for this weekend to test them out.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Played my first round of the year yesterday, perfect weather, fathers day. Played with my neighbor and he invited his 2 sons. I regret all of it even the stupid amount of beer I drank to make it better.

First 3 holes took an hour. Next 6 to almost 2. His sons had never played before and we had sometimes 2 foursomes waiting on the tees behind us.

Begged and pleaded for them to just pick up and go but nope. Anyway, didn't keep score, had 2 pars and drank a lot. Only played 16 holes because I demanded after 12 that we jump ahead so we could get home before 7. Tee time was 1:56.

Never again with that dude.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

mattfl posted:

Arccos sensors will be here tomorrow, holy poo poo that was fast shipping. That's awesome as I have 2 rounds lined up for this weekend to test them out.

:argh:

Mine are coming from the UK for some reason:

Douchebag posted:

Played my first round of the year yesterday, perfect weather, fathers day. Played with my neighbor and he invited his 2 sons. I regret all of it even the stupid amount of beer I drank to make it better.

First 3 holes took an hour. Next 6 to almost 2. His sons had never played before and we had sometimes 2 foursomes waiting on the tees behind us.

Begged and pleaded for them to just pick up and go but nope. Anyway, didn't keep score, had 2 pars and drank a lot. Only played 16 holes because I demanded after 12 that we jump ahead so we could get home before 7. Tee time was 1:56.

Never again with that dude.

My father's day was similar. Course was packed with lots of groups that probably don't play very often. Most holes were backed up by at least one other group, some were backed up with 3+ groups waiting to tee off. Combine that with the constant waiting on the tee box for groups on neighbouring holes to come grab their shanks and hooks and it made what is normally an easy 3.5 hour course take almost 5.5 hours.

Tee off was at 12:30, putted on 18 at 6:15.

I poo poo you not, my dad and I played all of 9, grabbed hot dogs and beer at the turn, ate them, and arrived at 10 with the group in front of us just starting to tee off.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 20, 2022

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

My father's day was similar. Course was packed with lots of groups that probably don't play very often. Most holes were backed up by at least one other group, some were backed up with 3+ groups waiting to tee off. Combine that with the constant waiting on the tee box for groups on neighbouring holes to come grab their shanks and hooks and it made what is normally an easy 3.5 hour course take almost 5.5 hours.

Tee off was at 12:30, putted on 18 at 6:15.

I poo poo you not, my dad and I played all of 9, grabbed hot dogs and beer at the turn, ate them, and arrived at 10 with the group in front of us just starting to tee off.

Yeah the guy at the pro shop compared yesterday to the St. Paddy's day for golf so I was sort of prepared for it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Played a solo 18 at Celebration GC today. For what was supposed to be a fairly open morning, there was a lot of backing up on tee boxes. The middle tees were supposedly being worked on, so your choices were the tips or the silver/whites (closest).

Opened up with a great hybrid. Next shot, I skull my shot over the green and into the water. Not off to a great start. Next hole, same thing. Finished the front nine at 57, lost 9 balls to water/out of bounds. I felt shameful as I walked into the pro shop at the turn to buy more balls.

Back nine, different story. Only lost three, shot a 49, and everything just felt way better. Probably would have done even better had it not started pouring on 18, causing me to lose a shot into the woods and ending up with a snowman.

My three rounds this year: 105, 105, 106

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I had the second tee time at 6:10 today.

I had COVID booster on Friday, and spent late Friday and all day Saturday in bed, got better later on Sunday, decided to keep the tee time. The range showed me I was gonna have a rough day.

Tee shot on one (par 5), thin, but straight. Second shot was an actual good shot to the approach area. Standing over a 100 yard shot to the pin, I flat skulled the ball . . . to 8 feet. I drain the putt to go one under.

One putt par on 2 after bad tee shot, bad recovery, chip to six feet. One putt par on 3 after bad tee shot. One putt par on 4. Finally good tee shot on 5, two putt par on a par 3.

I finished the front two over after I finally couldn't get up and down a couple of times.

I ran out of gas, and couldn't even hit bad tee shots. Played the back at 8 over. Even then, my putting kept the damage to bogey. I barely made it back to my car, I was so wiped.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Abraham Ancer is joining LIV

https://twitter.com/espnsutcliffe/status/1538606865277493249?t=rChmNTnMl0voh7k5svl2BA&s=19

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I’m not used to my local $10 muni looking so nice. I’ve been pushcarting HARD this year. Lost a bunch of weight in the process.

Made two birdies yesterday and burned the edge of the hole on a bunker shot for an eagle 2, but I’ll take tap in birdies all day long!

That shot had about 2 feet of right to left break and I was dancing the happy dance from the bunker while it was rolling!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Looks like Brooks is taking the payday, makes sense since he only likes the majors anyways

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooks-koepka-quit-pga-tour-103932588.html

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Couldn't live without Bryson I guess

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

LIV is going to probably blow up in flames in a few years but man I’m excited for the stacked field in Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gonna throw them on tonight and I have 3 rounds starting friday to see how well they work.