Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That’s the rub. A lot of sellers don’t want to get the machine out and turn the machine back on for a screenshot or they have reset the machine and will need to redo the setup just to be able to get to that page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Then they will have to accept people are going to assume they’re selling the lowest spec and price it accordingly

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'll add that I would be surprised if you're getting a good enough deal to ignore the $850 M1 Airs on the refurb store right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shifter posted:

I was around when that was the front cover of a Wired issue and I bought it for the cover alone.

What were people trying to prove by getting you that?

I think they were trying to prove that they aren’t the sort of person who wastes money by buying stupid poo poo

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
If my items are supposed to be at the Apple Store on the 24th but it’s already “Shipping to Store” is there a chance it comes in early? Want these Studio Displays so bad I can’t hardly stand it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On m1/m2 what’s the interface between the ssd/controller and the cpu? Apple proprietary? PCIe4?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It’s non-NVMe PCIe based proprietary.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Evis posted:

It’s non-NVMe PCIe based proprietary.

The M1/M2 SSD controller is in fact a NVMe device. Just not fully standard. The Asahi Linux project was able to make the Linux NVMe driver run the M1 SSD controller, but it required some changes.

One of the differences they had to account for is that Apple extended NVMe to support doing cryptography in the SSD controller. This is how they implement FileVault full-disk encryption with zero CPU overhead. Thanks to how they Apple did this, standard NVMe drivers can't work, even when not using the encryption extensions (it alters how the command queue works).

The other is that unlike most NVMe devices, it doesn't connect to a PCIe bus - not even a logical one. It's on an Apple proprietary interconnect used by peripherals integrated into Apple Silicon SoCs. Since the main NVMe interface is just memory mapped registers and command / response ring buffers, and all that's still there, the only driver change required here was to bypass all the code responsible for PCIe device discovery and setup.

But wait, there's more...

Flash memory is kind of a mess in that the industry hasn't settled on just one physical interface for raw flash chips; instead there's at least two competing standards. There's also problems in that the ideal ECC algorithm for reliable data storage often changes with each new generation of flash, even if the interface stays the same. Apple seems to have decided to hide both problems behind a more standard interface, presumably to avoid tying any of their A- or M-series SoCs down to a narrow range of flash technology. (Apple does like to keep some SoCs around for a long while, so that makes sense.)

So, the flash modules in T2/M series Macs, whether they're removable modules or soldered direct to the motherboard, have an integrated buffer chip which translates between a standardized interface to the Apple SoC and whatever flavor of the month flash chips are in the module. The buffer-to-SoC interface is... PCIe.

I presume this is because PCIe needs few pins to hit high bandwidth, and is relatively low power, but it's funny that PCIe is actually involved in Apple's SSDs, just not in the way anyone would naturally think it is.

So there you go. M1 SSDs are not PCIe, but they are NVMe, but they also rely on PCIe-attached flash memory.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thanks for the info! I guess I misinterpreted this tweet:

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1506022589357260801

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What exactly is to gain by putting the ssd controller on the soc and thus making it difficult or impossible to transplant the storage device for recovery/upgrade/testing/etc?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly is to gain by putting the ssd controller on the soc and thus making it difficult or impossible to transplant the storage device for recovery/upgrade/testing/etc?

Every SSD doesn’t need the controller now so you save 1 chip on each “drive”. At apple’s scale I’m sure it adds up

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You’re just moving the controller from one silicon to another. Sure there’s savings but is it worth it from a user experience perspective? Internal Logistics? It’s not like Apple philosophy to penny pinch otherwise there’s plenty of places to penny pinch on an $2k/$4k/$8k Apple device.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It’s a bit harder to use an interposer to decrypt the data coming off the SSD before it gets to the CPU I guess?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I also noticed for the latest macOS setup full disk encryption is default to on and in a hidden setup page so if you mash ‘next’ you’ll never see the option. Like most folk I know don’t need/want full disk encryption and would be more hassle to have it on in the event of a hardware failure that requires data recovery.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

For Apple, it's just what's there. M-series Apple Silicon is highly derivative of A-series Apple Silicon. Apple decided quite a long time ago that iPhones should have fast true SSDs rather than crappy eMMC junk, bought a startup (Anobit) that was working on enterprise NVMe SSD controllers, and integrated a version of Anobit's controller into A-series chips. Integration reduces manufacturing cost and board area; both are important in phones.

Putting buffer chips in front of the raw flash doesn't seem to be new, btw. When googling for info about Anobit, I've found references to that being a thing in their technology prior to the Apple acquisition.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

One of the differences they had to account for is that Apple extended NVMe to support doing cryptography in the SSD controller. This is how they implement FileVault full-disk encryption with zero CPU overhead. Thanks to how they Apple did this, standard NVMe drivers can't work, even when not using the encryption extensions (it alters how the command queue works).

Full-disk encryption with zero CPU overhead (the SSD controller handles encryption) has existed since the SATA days, through TCG Opal. But Windows no longer enables it by default with Bitlocker, because they don't trust SSD manufacturers to implement their encryption correctly.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I appreciate the help I got in here fixing colors etc on my old monitor running an M1 mini. I got it looking good with an .icc I found somewhere online, plus BetterDummy for text smoothing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did Apple ever solve the problem of 8GB Macbooks wearing out their SSDs by swapping too much?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Did Apple ever solve the problem of 8GB Macbooks wearing out their SSDs by swapping too much?

Did they ever confirm this was an actual issue or just an issue with the third party disk reporting tools?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It looks like the 2017 15inch MacBook Pro is getting it's last year of feature updates.

I'm having a hard time picking one of the following options:

Sell now because prices are good
Sell next year right before macOS14 is announced because price will tank after dropped from macOS14 supported devices
Sell never because the market for them has already tanked

It has the upgraded GPU and 16gb options if that helps.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

It was a data reporting issue and it‘a been fixed for a year now

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/04/apple-resolves-m1-mac-ssd-storage-longevity-issue-in-macos-114-beta

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well... the twitter user that article uses as a source says that it wasn't a display issue, but in fact an actual too-much-data-being-written problem. But also that 11.4 fixed it, which answers my question.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ziploc posted:

It looks like the 2017 15inch MacBook Pro is getting it's last year of feature updates.

I'm having a hard time picking one of the following options:

Sell now because prices are good
Sell next year right before macOS14 is announced because price will tank after dropped from macOS14 supported devices
Sell never because the market for them has already tanked

It has the upgraded GPU and 16gb options if that helps.

I mean, go ahead and look to see what it’s worth, but I think reading tea leaves and timing your sale in an effort to extract the greatest possible resale value from a five year old laptop is kind of a fool’s errand

I can’t imagine that its price is going to change all that dramatically between this year and next year, unless the economy completely kills the market for new computers and everybody’s suddenly scrambling for a used one and it causes values to spike.

Given that it’s five years old and the M1 Pro/Max models have already been out for a while it’s probably at the bottom of its depreciation curve as it is, at least until it enters the vintage/collectors market.

Upgrades can reasonably add maybe $25-$100 to a used laptop’s asking price. From a buyer’s standpoint it’s almost always better to just jump up to a newer model (ie 2018, 2019, 2020) than it is to pay somebody extra for an older one because they want to recoup some of the $400 they spent on the upgrade GPU back in 2017.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 20, 2022

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I suspect you're right. So I think I'm going to keep using it until M2P MacBooks drop next year.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

For Apple, it's just what's there. M-series Apple Silicon is highly derivative of A-series Apple Silicon. Apple decided quite a long time ago that iPhones should have fast true SSDs rather than crappy eMMC junk, bought a startup (Anobit) that was working on enterprise NVMe SSD controllers, and integrated a version of Anobit's controller into A-series chips. Integration reduces manufacturing cost and board area; both are important in phones.

Putting buffer chips in front of the raw flash doesn't seem to be new, btw. When googling for info about Anobit, I've found references to that being a thing in their technology prior to the Apple acquisition.

I wonder if scaling up for desktop apple will move the controller off die for Mac Pro/iMac pro. Enterprise is not gonna like Mac pros with non swappable storage.

Or keep it on die but still make the flash swappable somehow without it being a huge burden.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Since we’re kinda on the subject, is 8GB RAM in Apple silicon different than 8GB RAM in a traditional laptop/desktop with separate components? Im curious if 8GB in 2022 is going to be a problem 5 years later if im gonna be using my M2 Air the same way I used my 2013 rMBP - for media consumption and internet/discord multitasking

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

buglord posted:

Since we’re kinda on the subject, is 8GB RAM in Apple silicon different than 8GB RAM in a traditional laptop/desktop with separate components? Im curious if 8GB in 2022 is going to be a problem 5 years later if im gonna be using my M2 Air the same way I used my 2013 rMBP - for media consumption and internet/discord multitasking

Short answer: no. 8GB is not magically more on Apple Silicon, it just has a ton of bandwidth due to its memory controller configuration and the SSD is fast enough to mask a lot of swapping. If you can stretch for 16GB, that will buy a lot of longevity. Electron isn't going to get trimmer in the next half decade any more than streaming video playback requirements are likely to decrease.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I regret not getting 16gb on my MBA. For general usage it’s fine, but if when I do photo editing in capture one and leave it up it starts to feel sluggish

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder if scaling up for desktop apple will move the controller off die for Mac Pro/iMac pro. Enterprise is not gonna like Mac pros with non swappable storage.

Or keep it on die but still make the flash swappable somehow without it being a huge burden.

Enterprise doesn't care about local storage as long as the data is encrypted or impossible to access. Non swappable storage with macbooks has been the law for almost a decade and enterprise customers still buys them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I know my boomer brain is stuck in the past but I'm pretty sure enterprise doesn't care as much about modular components on laptops vs desktops. But I also don't know how Mac pros are treated as workstations in the real world.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do /r/mac posters talk about then?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What do /r/mac posters talk about then?

70 questions a day on whether someone should buy a Mac now or wait for the rumor they saw on Twitter to become true in 3 years.

Same as this thread really.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

I know my boomer brain is stuck in the past but I'm pretty sure enterprise doesn't care as much about modular components on laptops vs desktops. But I also don't know how Mac pros are treated as workstations in the real world.

Enterprise care about corpo data being sniffed in transit and at rest during the service process, that's why they are pedantic about removable storage. They give zero fucks about desktop modularity or not, since every enterprise it team worth its credentials will consider the device storage as disposable. If the device is hardware level encrypted with no service backdoor, nobody will flinch at soldered storage(macbooks) or replaceable flash payload that require a full reinitialization before reusage(mac studios).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

70 questions a day on whether someone should buy a Mac now or wait for the rumor they saw on Twitter to become true in 3 years.

Same as this thread really.

Should I get to MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? I AM A COLLEGE STUDENT

Which MacBook should I buy? I AM GOING TO BE PROGRAMMING

Hay guys my screen developed this weird crack when I opened it this morning Apple will fix this defect for free right? *screen is rekt from closing it on something*

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I don't know if it's a major faux pas to ask in this thread, but does anyone know how to get my Mac to unload iCloud Drive stuff off my local drive as I don't really need it clogging up my MacBook?

edit: sorry, just realised this is a hardware thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I keep thinking I'm going to grab a 16 GB refurb M1 Air when one shows up, only because I'm getting tired of the fans spinning up on my 2013 / 2014 rMBPs just from loading a YouTube page or running Zoom even without virtual backgrounds.. and I've already repasted the CPUS, cleaned the fans, air lasted all the vents..

Guess the demands Big Sur and above are making of eight/nine year old tech are just too much..

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I keep thinking I'm going to grab a 16 GB refurb M1 Air when one shows up, only because I'm getting tired of the fans spinning up on my 2013 / 2014 rMBPs just from loading a YouTube page or running Zoom even without virtual backgrounds.. and I've already repasted the CPUS, cleaned the fans, air lasted all the vents..

Guess the demands Big Sur and above are making of eight/nine year old tech are just too much..

them still only putting 8 gigs of ram in the base models is why i think i'm going to try to grab a base model 14'' pro when i need a new one. the lack of ram in my current touchbar 2019 13'' pro is the biggest bottleneck i run into and while i'm sure the base m2 processor would be enough for my needs by the time the storage and ram is uprgraded the price isn't that different.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I was going to get a 14” with the 10 core CPU and 32GB RAM, but Costco had a 20% off everything over $1000 sale and they had some 14” 10 core/16GB/1TB machines in stock. I decided saving over $900 was better than the extra RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Has anyone here ever successfully replaced the battery on their macbook via ifixit? I recently bought a battery from ifixit and tried to replace the battery on my 2017 Macbook Retina 12". After carefully following all instructions, the laptop just won't turn on. Here are the instructions I followed: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Retina+MacBook+2017+Battery+Replacement/110039

If you search the comments on that page, there are tons of people who claim their macbook won't turn on after installing the new battery.