Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I returned the Orange CR60C because its solid state input circuitry was too sensitive and clipped easily, like an op-amp exceeding its power rails, when using my wah/filter/louder ODs/just my humbuckers but a hard strum and that was finally under my skin despite liking how it sounded overall when cranked. Plus, bx_rockergain100 had a better recorded tone - it just did / does, I kept preferring it when I compared them and so I'm going with the flow here. I will get into a badder rear end amp soon as I can find one locally (or if this guy takes my offer on a THD Univalve, since I always loved my old one I bought in 2008 and I miss it after having to part with it in kind of a hurry back in my troubles, but we'll see if he goes for it or not).

Should I get a 120th Gibson SGj for a way lower than normal price even though the frets edges need work? I'd rather get this bullshit hilarious but-I-love-it Wylde Audio Odin, made in the WMI facility in South Korea with immaculate fit and finish. It literally costs more than the SGj though, and something is telling me - dummy, get the 120th anniversary American-made guitar, it'll probably appreciate in value some day and if I gotta do some fret work so what. gently caress I returned the amp I guess I could just chill with my sims through my monitors for a while and go after both but that'd be the only way I could do it without incurring the wrath of my ever-patient wife who has been real real cool with my passion for the axe over the years and totally gets me wanting to get back in shape gear-wise, but who understandably will begin to question why it is I need to get so many instruments if I get two guitars at once despite growing zero new arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So what do you do when you buy a P-Bass and get a killer deal on an Ampeg SVT3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8iKc4HEAhg

You record a cover of One Of These Days by Pink Floyd.

For the record, despite being an utter Floyd tragic, I didn't INTEND to buy a Roger Waters style P-Bass. However, when the guy was ringing it up, he pointed it out that an all black P-Bass with a Maple board is what Roger (or...quietly Gilmour) used. Nobody is going to believe me when I say I didn't intend to buy a bass like that, so I decided to go all in and I got that strap with the Hammer logo made up.

I'm not a bass player so take this with a grain of salt. It's a Classic Vibe and...I'm quietly thrilled with it. I compared an Affinity, Classic Vibe, 40th Anniversary and a Player (Mexi) P-Bass and...the Classic Vibe was a pretty clear winner. Honestly, all of them were pretty drat close in terms of playability, but the Classic Vibe seemed to have a 5% edge. What surprised me most was how it sounded though. This bass just seemed to have so much more life in it than all the other P-Basses? The notes just kinda filled the room and "Woofed" way more than all the others.

Being aware that it's a Squier, I asked the guy if I could compare it against the fanciest P-Bass in the shop. He gave me a $3900 USA P-Bass. I played it assuming I would need to upgrade the Squier, so I was looking for a reference point.

Honestly, the USA P-Bass was like the others. Kinda flat and lifeless. Nothing about it seemed to fill the room or have any "woof" in it whatsoever. So I doubt I'm gonna do anything to my Classic Vibe.

Then the other week, somebody was selling an SVT3 for $750AUD (~500USD). Considering I didn't have ANY bass amp, that was wayyyyy too good of a deal to pass up.

That being said: I'm looking for advice on how best to mic up a bass cab? I know a lot of people just use DIs and a bunch of plugins, but I want to learn how mic a cab properly. I've done a bit of experimenting and I'm yet to decide on a "method" yet. I'm pretty happy with the noise I made in the cover, but I did have to do a fair bit of post-work to make it all fit and sound okay (Massive LPF) and I feel like I could do better. Thoughts?

Agreed posted:

Should I get a 120th Gibson SGj for a way lower than normal price even though the frets edges need work?

Every Gibson needs work. My Les Paul was a nightmare of headstock breaking, electronics dying, machine-heads failing and general bullshittery. For some reason though, everybody wants a Gibson so it will absolutely keep its resale value. Hell if you can do the fret job yourself, you could probably sell it as a profit. If possible, play both and see what you like more, but YMMV with that "G" brand.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Counterpoint: SGs own and are the best

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You had me at "120th anniversary American-made guitar" and even though it's a real Gibson and needs some fret attention I'd kinda have to have it, my two arms notwithstanding. I take it you already have an SG you like, but to me this is like a weakness akin to my girlfriend who just buys poo poo literally because it's really really discounted. To quote, "But it was on saaale." What's good for the goose.

Just sayin' if it's a deal that's too good to pass up, and the only problem is the fret edges, I don't see how you let it go. The other stuff will still be around when you have some $ saved up.

Only $0.02.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I do NOT have an SG I already like. But, I'm not blessed with a ton of space in my dwelling atm, either, since I've got three kiddos now and my pop moved in with us back in the 2010s when he had some trouble. But... Man... I feel like if I don't get that guitar I'll be kicking myself down the line, it's underpriced by at minimum $300 relative to the cheapest ones on the market while being in better shape than those cosmetically, and fret care is not exactly crazy work to do. I really like how it played apart from the fret edges and the sound was great. Hrm hrm hrm.

If the gat drat IRS wasn't still sitting on my tax return - stuck "Processing" with no indication of problems or explanation of the delay for almost 70 days after e-filing now - I'd have this poo poo yesterday, friends. I'm gonna put it on layaway and pay it out over the month, screw it, if it's still available that is I want that SG too!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You know that part where you very responsibly consider the people around you before you commit to buying an SGj when you DON'T have an SG that you like, yeah no I glazed right over that part because I am a terrible person.
As soon as you advised, "But I don't have one" that sealed it for me. You need that guitar at that price. Even if you just flip it. (I would never flip it.)

Congrats on being way more mature than I am!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I called them half an hour before the store opened and got a manager I know, he was like "I got you bro" and pulled it off the wall for me to seal the deal later today when we have opportunity :holy:

Now the question is do I still go for that goofy rear end Odin Blackout? I have a confession, I never really hated those crazy Deans from the '90s and 2000s, ok, I actually - I actually liked them - I wanted one, I... I want this silly guitar and who is going to stop me? Who? Nobody, that's who, that is who will stop me is NO ONE! I am a grown up, ok, I can make grown up choices like to get this poo poo

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 21, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I bought another Strat

Gonna guess the intonation is a little off

Oh, if the last didn't give it away

STRING-THROUGH HARDTAIL!!!!!!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Nice. I have an Aria Pro II PJ bass that I really like (not one w/ a desirable serial number). plays much better than you'd think, looking at it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

widefault posted:

STRING-THROUGH HARDTAIL!!!!!!

sweet

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Black pickguard and lace sensors. Do iiiit.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

syntaxfunction posted:

Black pickguard and lace sensors. Do iiiit.

I second this motion.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well that period of amplessness did NOT last, because when I went to pick up this guitar... (look it is not nice to make fun of a beloved new guitar, even if it looks like it was only ever for sale at Hot Topic in the 2000s)

(the big scratch-looking thing is just the case's metallic edge reflecting off the top)

my guy at the shop let me know they had an amp they thought I might want to try it through. This guy knows my tastes at this point, and, well

Also got my board sorted into pre-board and effects-loop board:

I've got a second Rocket Squeegee coming because it's the tiniest compressor I like the sound of to help deal with some volume boost I get from the Resotron and the Visitor - it was doing a great job when the Resotron was on the other board at taming that, but I need it over there doing what it does with my other stuff so while they're on deep discount at Sweetwater I figured I'd grab another one, fit for purpose, to go between the Visitor and the delay/verb section. I generally dislike it when pedals have a volume boost and no way to trim the level but these ones have sounds that are worth the trouble big time, IMO.

The 5150 Iconic is not, on its own, especially noisy, and that's good because it is really high gain - but also has a great clean channel. James Brown has talked over at TGP about it some as being basically what he would do to make a 5150 today, hitting a certain price point to be more accessible to more players. It has a semi-floating ply front with MDF in other parts, and uses two preamp tubes plus a mosfet third gain stage into two power amp tubes. The guy is a god drat amp genius and this is another great design from him. It sounds so amazing. The dirty channel SMOKES, it BURNS, it HAMMERS. And it has a really great clean channel, too, which takes pedals super well.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 22, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got a power supply instead of literally strapping a power strip to my board like I had been doing, did some shuffling and adding and such. Only really had to leave one thing off (a big muff), everything else I have that I didn't put on I can easily live without and will probably sell. Yes, everything is correctly plugged in, there's one 18v piece on the board, the rest is 9. Yes, I use tiewraps instead of gluing velcro to everything and letting the glue gently caress all my poo poo up and accumulate dust and cat hair and such.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

hexwren posted:

Got a power supply instead of literally strapping a power strip to my board like I had been doing, did some shuffling and adding and such. Only really had to leave one thing off (a big muff), everything else I have that I didn't put on I can easily live without and will probably sell. Yes, everything is correctly plugged in, there's one 18v piece on the board, the rest is 9. Yes, I use tiewraps instead of gluing velcro to everything and letting the glue gently caress all my poo poo up and accumulate dust and cat hair and such.

Have you considered the tone enhancing characteristics of cat hair, though?

Gotta commend the dedication to keep the huge Deluxe EM on the board. I signed up to get a Retro-Sonic Flanger a few months ago, figuring it would be a long time due to supply chain issues, but it turned out they met their estimates and had one to ship in 6 weeks. I realized I don’t really know how to use a flanger, though. Also marked the cable from the power supply with bright yellow gaffer tape to make sure I don’t accidentally plug that 18v into something else.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JamesKPolk posted:

hows it compare to the 0-coast? they look real similar on paper

Okay I have a more nuanced answer to this after loving around a bit (and finding out my Beatstep firmware was at least 4 years out of date :laugh:).

Mavis:
Pros:
* cheaper
* it's actually a moog it sounds like a moog it has a moog logo
* it has a patch bank that's setup fairly similar to other moogs and knockoffs, making it a fine first synth in that class and also a fun cheap thing to add into a rack
*makes a lot of fun noises from moogy motorcycle rumble and cowfarts to obnoxious beeps

0coast:
Pros:

* integrated MIDI and clock with tap button
* pre-wired default path with a couple things you can button toggle, but no real loss in power because all patches exposed
* as a knows-little I found it more intuitive to just gently caress with; Moog poo poo sends me straight to manuals, sample patch paths and reminders of what does what
* full aluminum body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6TAoV2-Yo

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

hexwren posted:

That's a cool board! Fellow Caverns fan :hfive: I like the options you have on that board - I dig similar capabilities, with pitch stuff into drives, then some modulations, then delays and a pair of shimmer verbs myself also. I am still on that power strip trip, with two Godlykes, a Onespot and a couple of transformer warts for different things since not all pedal power supplies play nice on a loop. I think I'll get a CIOKS DC-7 for my one board and maybe a CS-7 for the other... I haven't had brutal noise this way but I feel like there's room to improve and in principle last thing I'd want is a power supply issue with a daisy chain causing problems for multiple pedals at once, or even worse, failures.

I have not had the velcro that comes with pedal boards cause any issues with paint jobs on removal, and I've been putting it on and taking it off a lot lately. I do keep my poo poo covered when not in use (plus I do not have a cat). Nothing wrong with doing it how you want, maybe that'd add some complexity to a would-be thief trying to steal your poo poo in a hurry live too.

I've been thinking about trying to get one of those littler Electric Mistresses they make now with the green graphics. I don't have a flanger on the board at this time, feels like I kinda ought to, and I generally get along with EHX pedals' sounds. Is that big Electric Mistress as special sounding as its large footprint and the effort taken to fit it in would suggest? I wonder how the small one holds up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have one of the simpler Electric Mistresses and I can confirm they’re dope.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Agreed posted:

The 5150 Iconic is not, on its own, especially noisy, and that's good because it is really high gain - but also has a great clean channel. James Brown has talked over at TGP about it some as being basically what he would do to make a 5150 today, hitting a certain price point to be more accessible to more players. It has a semi-floating ply front with MDF in other parts, and uses two preamp tubes plus a mosfet third gain stage into two power amp tubes. The guy is a god drat amp genius and this is another great design from him. It sounds so amazing. The dirty channel SMOKES, it BURNS, it HAMMERS. And it has a really great clean channel, too, which takes pedals super well.

I love this description of the 5150. It makes me want to log out of work early, crank my amp up to 11, and start rattling the windows

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Want that EM. Been eyeballing listings on reverb for a while and they've been getting less insane on pricing. Might grab one

hexwren posted:

Thats rad. When that amp was released there were so many blues dentists talking poo poo about it and the only thing I could imagine is that they must have wallets for ears. That amp sounds tough as gently caress in every demo I could find

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
f you let me know what model your 5150 is (anyone) please post your amp settings, and if used what speakers+cabinet/mic. I would love to go into my modeler and see how it sounds. I'll post clips for comparison if requested.

I've been way too focused on the Fenders, Marshalls, and MESAs. The modeler has the Peavey 5150 Block letter, the 6505/5150 MKII, and the EVH 5150 III.

Some actual post content regarding the original Peavey 5150:
I had a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp that shared the damping and resonance controls from the 5150 and I used them live a LOT to dial in my stage sound. I've never actually plugged into a 5150 (1, 2, or 3) but I remember hearing that sound on F.U.C.K. and thinking it shared its somewhat spongy/mooshy high end with my Peavey Classic 50 and Blues Classic circuits, and those were my live rig for the longest time. They were "my sound."
To be honest I have mixed feeling about Eddie's change to the 5150. While I loved that high-end in the Classic 50 circuit, I was a little taken aback that Eddie embraced it. Only because I considered it a really huge departure from that basic "Marshall on meltdown" sound. I wasn't sure it was an improvement. Still a great tone, just very very different than the sound I had come to love. On the other hand, it meant you could cop Eddie's tone without a Plexi or a variac. I think I typically hear them in the context of that tight, hairy, super-saturated sound that always sounds good alone but doesn't always work in a mix without knowing some specific tricks. They typically sound very mid-scooped to my ears.

I'm interested to see (and hopefully hear) how you and Agreed use yours.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Okay I have a more nuanced answer to this after loving around a bit (and finding out my Beatstep firmware was at least 4 years out of date :laugh:).

Mavis:
Pros:
* cheaper
* it's actually a moog it sounds like a moog it has a moog logo
* it has a patch bank that's setup fairly similar to other moogs and knockoffs, making it a fine first synth in that class and also a fun cheap thing to add into a rack
*makes a lot of fun noises from moogy motorcycle rumble and cowfarts to obnoxious beeps

0coast:
Pros:

* integrated MIDI and clock with tap button
* pre-wired default path with a couple things you can button toggle, but no real loss in power because all patches exposed
* as a knows-little I found it more intuitive to just gently caress with; Moog poo poo sends me straight to manuals, sample patch paths and reminders of what does what
* full aluminum body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6TAoV2-Yo

huh... no MIDI on the Moog is interesting but I hated it on the Mother (and quite like it on the 0-Coast, as things go) so maybe that's for the best. Seems like a cool box, 0-Coast w/ a good filter was a dream for a while

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JamesKPolk posted:

huh... no MIDI on the Moog is interesting but I hated it on the Mother (and quite like it on the 0-Coast, as things go) so maybe that's for the best. Seems like a cool box, 0-Coast w/ a good filter was a dream for a while

if I had to pick one to keep, for me, 0coast all the way and I'd resell the mavis. I can see going the other way on that, though, and I am sort of in the "gradually still just barely getting into this poo poo" phase. I think a real rack of some kind and standalone modules are in my future but christ I could spend all the money I've ever had and then some on that poo poo.

Midi on the mother sorta meh but also I have not been able to really figure out how to effectively use the mother's own programming so I am barely, barely scratching the surface on that one. Wish this was my full time job but whoops I am not very good at it and even if I was it'd be hard to make computer toucher money, so....

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if I had to pick one to keep, for me, 0coast all the way and I'd resell the mavis. I can see going the other way on that, though, and I am sort of in the "gradually still just barely getting into this poo poo" phase. I think a real rack of some kind and standalone modules are in my future but christ I could spend all the money I've ever had and then some on that poo poo.

Midi on the mother sorta meh but also I have not been able to really figure out how to effectively use the mother's own programming so I am barely, barely scratching the surface on that one. Wish this was my full time job but whoops I am not very good at it and even if I was it'd be hard to make computer toucher money, so....

hahahah yes on all counts. cannot say enough good things about sDIY, if the siren call persists. Its not for everyone but your grow shed/extraction setup odyssey makes me think you'd love it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

so i did buy two basses in the same month because i felt like it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Major Operation posted:

Have you considered the tone enhancing characteristics of cat hair, though?

Gotta commend the dedication to keep the huge Deluxe EM on the board. I signed up to get a Retro-Sonic Flanger a few months ago, figuring it would be a long time due to supply chain issues, but it turned out they met their estimates and had one to ship in 6 weeks. I realized I don’t really know how to use a flanger, though. Also marked the cable from the power supply with bright yellow gaffer tape to make sure I don’t accidentally plug that 18v into something else.

the EM's partly a sentimental pick, it's the second pedal I got, ever (after a DS-1 I think I ended up giving to my father in an attempt to entice him into breaking out of the "tone is guitar-amp-fingers full stop" mindset) and I mostly use it as a not-really-a-chorus, though there is the occasional tune where I want big sweeping noise (two characters in search of a country song by the magnetic fields comes to mind immediately) and so it'll get cranked up for that

Agreed posted:

That's a cool board! Fellow Caverns fan :hfive: I like the options you have on that board - I dig similar capabilities, with pitch stuff into drives, then some modulations, then delays and a pair of shimmer verbs myself also. I am still on that power strip trip, with two Godlykes, a Onespot and a couple of transformer warts for different things since not all pedal power supplies play nice on a loop. I think I'll get a CIOKS DC-7 for my one board and maybe a CS-7 for the other... I haven't had brutal noise this way but I feel like there's room to improve and in principle last thing I'd want is a power supply issue with a daisy chain causing problems for multiple pedals at once, or even worse, failures.

I have not had the velcro that comes with pedal boards cause any issues with paint jobs on removal, and I've been putting it on and taking it off a lot lately. I do keep my poo poo covered when not in use (plus I do not have a cat). Nothing wrong with doing it how you want, maybe that'd add some complexity to a would-be thief trying to steal your poo poo in a hurry live too.

I've been thinking about trying to get one of those littler Electric Mistresses they make now with the green graphics. I don't have a flanger on the board at this time, feels like I kinda ought to, and I generally get along with EHX pedals' sounds. Is that big Electric Mistress as special sounding as its large footprint and the effort taken to fit it in would suggest? I wonder how the small one holds up.

ironically, the caverns is the one piece that's most likely to change in further revisions - like, don't get me wrong, I like it, and it fills the hole left by my holy grail (sold for rent money) and my carbon copy (died under the strenuous activity of being in a car for an hour and a half), but it's strenuously Fine. The delay side feels a bit finicky, like I can never pin down exactly what I want out of it, and the reverb consists of a decent shimmer, a modulated reverb which is just absolutely not to my taste, and a basic reverb that doesn't get quite as bonkers as I was hoping. I want to eventually have a reverb where I kick the thing on, turn the knob and sound like I'm transmitting from outer space, but the eventide costs an arm and a leg. might have to see what else is out there. there is the grail and the oceans 11, but I don't really want to do an all-EHX-all-the-time thing.

a few of the pedals I've gotten used over the years (including the monarch seen here) have had their serial number labels ruined by people strapping velcro straight over them, which is probably my biggest piece of annoyance re: velcro. I know stuff is meant to get used, but if something's going to get hosed up, I want it to happen because of circumstances, not for somebody just going "welp, time to stick on the sticker"

Agreed posted:

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Want that EM. Been eyeballing listings on reverb for a while and they've been getting less insane on pricing. Might grab one

so, the EM here is the 1999-2002 v4 reissue. the v4 is the first one to have the current BBD chip, as they couldn't get the 80s one anymore. I have never A/Bed against a 70s-80s EM, in fact, I've never been in the same room as one. I don't know if the earlier revisions are more magical? but I really like what I have here, and its continued presence in my chain (as above) is at least partly a thing of emotion.

as goes the current small-form-factor DEM, there's conflicting reports, some say they're analog, some say they're digital recreations. I dunno. I am not an electrical engineer. I would consider sidegrading to a modern one if the circuitry is the same.

here's the site with everything you need to know about the original run: http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/index.shtml

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

hexwren posted:

ironically, the caverns is the one piece that's most likely to change in further revisions - like, don't get me wrong, I like it, and it fills the hole left by my holy grail (sold for rent money) and my carbon copy (died under the strenuous activity of being in a car for an hour and a half), but it's strenuously Fine. The delay side feels a bit finicky, like I can never pin down exactly what I want out of it, and the reverb consists of a decent shimmer, a modulated reverb which is just absolutely not to my taste, and a basic reverb that doesn't get quite as bonkers as I was hoping. I want to eventually have a reverb where I kick the thing on, turn the knob and sound like I'm transmitting from outer space, but the eventide costs an arm and a leg. might have to see what else is out there. there is the grail and the oceans 11, but I don't really want to do an all-EHX-all-the-time thing.

I use the Caverns as the third delay in my line when I want to go Even Deeper, personally. I use its Shimmer mode to impart "some" shimmer and help expand the texture with a bit of verb but rarely put the blend above like 10 o'clock. It's a cool pedal, not the end-all/be-all of delays and verb but in doing each it earned a spot on my board for when I want to get as lush as I can stacking it up with everything else. The delay is a PT2399-based and the reverb is a spin chip, I didn't really expect it to change my world but it's fun to have and I probably won't be getting it off my board any time soon. I think I end up having like 5 or 6 FV-1s in my signal chain start to finish. I use the Walrus in its Sonar mode which does a +1/-1 octave with adjustable tilt on that, and the Caverns shimmer into that with it emphasizing the sub-octave a bit more sounds cool to me.

Hope you can get something you really dig in there in the end man.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

hexwren posted:

I want to eventually have a reverb where I kick the thing on, turn the knob and sound like I'm transmitting from outer space, but the eventide costs an arm and a leg. might have to see what else is out there. there is the grail and the oceans 11, but I don't really want to do an all-EHX-all-the-time thing.

Maybe take a look at the EQD Dispatch Master. I love that thing and it sounds kind of like what you're describing

hexwren posted:

so, the EM here is the 1999-2002 v4 reissue. the v4 is the first one to have the current BBD chip, as they couldn't get the 80s one anymore. I have never A/Bed against a 70s-80s EM, in fact, I've never been in the same room as one. I don't know if the earlier revisions are more magical? but I really like what I have here, and its continued presence in my chain (as above) is at least partly a thing of emotion.

as goes the current small-form-factor DEM, there's conflicting reports, some say they're analog, some say they're digital recreations. I dunno. I am not an electrical engineer. I would consider sidegrading to a modern one if the circuitry is the same.

here's the site with everything you need to know about the original run: http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/index.shtml

I dont get too caught up in magic opamps and sacred diodes. I like the sound of the EHX EM circuit and the aesthetics of the big enclosures. They're fun to stomp on and I like the way the silkscreen scuffs up. Im a degenerate hipster, what can I say

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

so i did buy two basses in the same month because i felt like it
Bro! I looked at SO MANY SoundGear basses before I opted for the Indo Spector Legend-5 (Classic?) Very similar finish. I hate the pickups for some reason. But if I were to grab a SG that one looks pimp.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah spectors are sick but i really liked the price on this one so i pulled the trigger on instinct

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm not even a bassist and I want that bass, holy smokes that looks great!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks guys, I think it makes a nice complement to my Rick. kind of polar opposites.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
I have the 6 string version of that bass, I love it.

Mine does look pretty plain compared to that though (old photo because I'm too lazy to get good lighting right now)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh sick dude! I originally wanted one of those earlier gen ones actually but this one popped up and I just impulse bought it. Glad I did

edit: I also love how you can anchor your thumb on the neck pickup and you're gonna be pluckin in the perfect zone. Also as it's my first 5 I totally get why dudes get 6 string basses now and I always thought it was stupid as gently caress before

muike fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 23, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got this today

Mooer Prime P1, basically the guts of their "Intelligent guitar" that has a built-in multi-effects unit, but at $150 instead of $600. Came in a nice little case with a USB cable for charging.

USB on the side, 1/4" in/out on the top along with a headphone jack

Haven't had a chance to do more than charge it and play around with the presets, and boy those are not what I would use for a good out of the box experience. As a headphone amp, it has the same issue as every other one where your headphones are really going to be a factor. Mine are poo poo right now, I have the choice between 10 year old ear buds or Amazon-branded over-ear ones since my Sony's crapped out. As a pure effects unit I can see it being more useful to me. I turned off the amp & cab sims and hooked it to my Fender Greta and the effects sound pretty decent so far, but it doesn't look like you can do stuff like run a boost and an overdrive at the same time with the software interface. I'll screw around with it more on the weekend. I'm not sure it's worth the $150 but since it is on sale and I had gift cards and rewards cards for Amazon it only cost me like $60.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Faustus posted:

f you let me know what model your 5150 is (anyone) please post your amp settings, and if used what speakers+cabinet/mic. I would love to go into my modeler and see how it sounds. I'll post clips for comparison if requested.

I've been way too focused on the Fenders, Marshalls, and MESAs. The modeler has the Peavey 5150 Block letter, the 6505/5150 MKII, and the EVH 5150 III.

Some actual post content regarding the original Peavey 5150:
I had a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp that shared the damping and resonance controls from the 5150 and I used them live a LOT to dial in my stage sound. I've never actually plugged into a 5150 (1, 2, or 3) but I remember hearing that sound on F.U.C.K. and thinking it shared its somewhat spongy/mooshy high end with my Peavey Classic 50 and Blues Classic circuits, and those were my live rig for the longest time. They were "my sound."
To be honest I have mixed feeling about Eddie's change to the 5150. While I loved that high-end in the Classic 50 circuit, I was a little taken aback that Eddie embraced it. Only because I considered it a really huge departure from that basic "Marshall on meltdown" sound. I wasn't sure it was an improvement. Still a great tone, just very very different than the sound I had come to love. On the other hand, it meant you could cop Eddie's tone without a Plexi or a variac. I think I typically hear them in the context of that tight, hairy, super-saturated sound that always sounds good alone but doesn't always work in a mix without knowing some specific tricks. They typically sound very mid-scooped to my ears.

I'm interested to see (and hopefully hear) how you and Agreed use yours.

Between the OG 5150 and the 5150 II, the II was "tightened" up just a bit in the preamp via filtering. Basically they added a bass cut at the input of the amp. There's really not a lot of difference in the lead channel besides that. Also, James Brown designed the OG 5150 and the 5150 combo, but he had left Peavey by the time they started working on the 5150 II. Personally I much prefer the OG 5150 between it and the II. In my opinion, with the 5150 II, they filtered away just a bit too much low end away from the input and as a consequence the amp can sort of sound a bit nasally, like there's a kind of half-cocked-wah that's always on. The OG 5150 lets more low end through to the gain stages. This means it's not quite as tight when you plug straight into it but there's a depth that's really cool, and that the II doesn't quite have. But with the OG, because it just lets everything through, you as a player also have the option to use bass cutting boosts to shape and tighten the amp however you want.

Between the OG 5150 and the 5150 III, the III sounds a bit bigger and more modern, and a bit smoother and more refined. The III's distortion seems like it has a "finer grain" to it than the OG 5150, which sounds a bit rougher and has a distortion texture that's slightly more coarse. They're both great amps though.

As for controls (this applies to all 5150's from the OG to the III), all 5150 lead channels have a metric ton of gain so even the most evil of black metal players could easily set the Gain to like 3 (10:00) or 4 (11:00) and have all the distortion they'd ever want. For EQ, I usually set the bass relatively high, between 6 (1:00) and 8 (3:00). I set the mids relatively low at between 3 (10:00) and 4 (11:00). 5150's naturally have an overwhelming boatload of mids just due to how the circuit works so you can really get away with cutting the mid knob pretty hard and the amp will still sound great unlike most other high gainers that hollow out too much when you cut the mids. The 5150's you hear that actually sound traditionally scooped probably have the mid knob cranked down to 0 or very close to it. The Treble knob can honestly be set anywhere from like 3 (10:00) to 7 (2:00) depending on a ton of factors like guitar, cab, room, how aggressive you want your sound to be that day, etc. Also, the Presence on the 100 watt+ 5150, 5150 II, and 5150 III doesn't do anything until like 7 (2:00). Between 0 and 7 there is basically no change in sound. James Brown himself told me that this is just how Eddie wanted that control to work. James was playing around with pot values in the shop and Eddie happened to come in that day and said "I like this control like this" so that's what stayed. I usually set Presence to about 8 (3:00) or even a bit higher on 5150's, which by the way is roughly the same as setting the Presence at noon on just about any other amp. Resonance I typically keep a bit above noon, maybe higher depending on the cab.

As far as Eddie's move from Marshalls, he was always looking to make his sound ever gainier and more modern. The 5150 came around because Eddie had purchased a Soldano SLO and loved it, and wanted to make a version of that amp that was both more to his taste and more affordable for the working musician. James Brown was hired to basically re-make the SLO to Eddie's specs. For what it's worth, I've played SLOs quite a few times and I've always preferred 5150's over them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 23, 2022

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009

muike posted:

edit: I also love how you can anchor your thumb on the neck pickup and you're gonna be pluckin in the perfect zone. Also as it's my first 5 I totally get why dudes get 6 string basses now and I always thought it was stupid as gently caress before

You can pluck the 5th string from my cold, dead hands. If you try to take my 6th string we're fighting but probably with fists and not knives.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thank you, GG, pretty much everything you shared is news to me. That definitely will help me approach the model. I'm thinking for maximum 5150-ness you'd want to pair it with either a model of the factory cab (natch) or I bet an Orange or a Mesa work really well. Gonna guess V30s, Greenbacks, or a mixture.

The big a-ha moment is the Soldano factor. I can totally see getting to plug into a Soldano and thinking, O yeah this is the stuff. It's not vintage sounding, it's just mean af and to get that kind of saturation out of the amp without boosts, well it's the purple range on the Ampeg V100, ya know? I always wanted that Ampeg V50, personally. Because Paul.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The 5150 Iconic is a hybrid design with two preamp tubes (some people thought one was the phase inverter, but it has a solid state phase inverter, they're both for the preamp itself) and some MOSFET gain going on as well. I feel like you probably couldn't tell playing it or hearing a clip blind that there's anything solid state about it, in the sense of it sounding worse or having some kind of characteristic that stands out, oh yeah, not tube - anyway, I've loved plenty of solid state amps, only thing that matters to me is the sound and the feel when playing and as an experienced high gain lover for decades I personally feel this amp is the poo poo and totally nails what I was hoping for. People have said, in the price range you could get a used 6505+ combo, and I say, I've played those and it's not that they're not cool but I like this sound better. I like the feel of this amp better. Maybe if you replace the stock speaker in the 6505+ but that's more money into it. That's just my opinion, of course. If you went for local pickup you might get a 5150 II 2x12 combo and then we start having to think about it a little harder, right, but this just wooed the gently caress out of me when I played it in store and I can't stop smiling and rocking the gently caress out when I am playing it so to me I feel I made a perfectly good choice. Two year warranty too, here's hoping I never need it.

The clean channel has a nice clean depending on where you put the gain knob, but if you click in the Overdrive button it has enough gain that with a boost/overdrive you could easily play '80s metal with it well before the knob is maxed, and with the knob maxed you probably don't need the boost/OD - I'd say it's in the realm of a JCM 800 cranked on that knob. The distortion channel, though, has gobs of gain, like, outrageous amounts, and is voiced a bit tighter by default to be somewhat like the 5150 II's input characteristics, but can get more like the original 5150 with the "Burn" switch - James Brown talked about that over at TGP. I can confirm, there is SO MUCH gain. Holy poo poo levels. I get my desired amount of face melting - which is a lot, mind you - from between 3-4 on the knob or about 10 o'clock. Past that it just keeps going, unreal amounts.

James Brown designed the speaker for it to strike a balance between being bright enough for the cleans to be beautiful but not be misvoiced for the distortion. He wanted it to be able to get in the realm of any of the previous 5150s tonally, if not be an exact match or replica of those given that's a bit of an ask at the price point to make an amp that literally gets you any 5150 sound you wanted. I think the choices made to hit price point make a lot of sense in this amp and I personally have no problem with MDF back and sides, ply baffle. Some people on TGP dismissed it long before its release because of that. Well, that's silly, IMO. As is being hardcore against its preamp design before they even got a chance to hear it, or judging it on Youtube demos. I have heard some Youtube demos for it that sound way off what it actually pulls off for me, frankly.

Tomorrow I'm getting an appropriate length XLR cable in and I'll record a quick example of it direct through its cab sim output if that sounds good. If not, gently caress it I'm upgrading my audio interface so I can double mic this bad motherfucker, it deserves it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Can you groove with it at reasonable volume or is it a special time only thing?