Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
There's a big progression fantasy sale going on to benefit Uvalde shooting victims.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/v3xt5i/the_sale_to_benefit_uvalde_texas_robb_elementary/

I'm super new to genre but since I really like Cradle and would like things that are similar, does anyone mind parsing this list and telling me what books here are the best and worth reading?
The only ones I've heard of are Bastion and Iron Prince (not yet read).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

ulmont posted:

I’m going to give this a shot out of goon solidarity, but in the “read this blurb and tell me when you decide ‘gently caress this book’” game I play with friends, the answer here for me was around sentence four.

Larry Parrish posted:

the very first proper noun in the blurb tells me it's one of those books where im never going to be able to tell them apart if they get close to the same length because I sure as poo poo can't read the actual words

Thank you! This is helpful feedback. My blurb writing skills suck :( I promise my novel writing skills are better.

Cicero posted:

Will's started the traditional Cradle cover countdown on his IG. Should be getting a Dreadgod cover/release date announcement within the next day or two I think.

I am very hyped for this. I was already hyped when he teased Dreadgod news in his last blog post and saw that the progress bar for Amount Complete, such as it is, says "(2nd in length)".

I can't even figure out what his cover designer is gonna do for the cover. Every single other cover has been a simple object (and my least favorite cover is probably Uncrowned because it doesn't have the...roundness or near roundness of the others) and I can't think of what could go on the cover that would have any relation to Dreadgod unless it's a DREADGOD BINDING that is like a huge version of the smaller dreadbeast bindings.

Am I also bitter that the Wintersteel cover had a badge with a sword on it? Yes. But I also get why for spoiler reasons it couldn't be what it actually was in the book.

Also on the subject of covers, I don't know how I feel about the new Traveler's Gate covers. I liked the new covers he did for Elder Empire but I'm not sure why I don't like the new Traveler's Gate ones. Maybe they feel over-illustrated to me, but I'm sure they're very on trend because no doubt he has expert people advising him on these things now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

pradmer posted:

There's a big progression fantasy sale going on to benefit Uvalde shooting victims.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/v3xt5i/the_sale_to_benefit_uvalde_texas_robb_elementary/

I'm super new to genre but since I really like Cradle and would like things that are similar, does anyone mind parsing this list and telling me what books here are the best and worth reading?
The only ones I've heard of are Bastion and Iron Prince (not yet read).

The only one of those I've heard of is Dungeons of Strata. It's at best meh. It looks like most of them are on Amazon, so you can click the link and get the sample to decide for yourself. Let us know if any of them are any good.

If you're looking for more Cradle, you're best bet is probably either https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42385/an-outcast-in-another-world-subtitle-is-insanity or https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36983/tower-of-somnus.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24203/homicidal-aliens-are-invading-and-all-i-got-is Is a noticeable step down, but still fun.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Iron prince was fun enough, a little too tell not show at times, but that's not uncommon
90+% of that list is probably not good.

I read this one too. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Looks like Dreadgod will be July 5th.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

mastajake posted:

Looks like Dreadgod will be July 5th.

Yesssss

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019
10 stars for Beware of Chicken.
I've never read a 9 hour (my estimated reading speed) book so fast. I lost sleep reading it. I woke up and didn't get out of bed for an hour finishing reading it.
happy and contented reader noises
it was so wholesome. I had tissues nearby because I couldn't stop sniveling due to pure happiness. Man, what a balm of a book, and so very entertaining and well edited. not perfectly edited mind you
a few minor typos
I'm going to be thinking about my reading experience all day and hold onto that feeling til it begins to fade. forlorn sigh

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
[Edit:] Whoops, wrong thread.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 15, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You fool! You're raising the standards!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

doandroidzdream posted:

I've never read a 9 hour (my estimated reading speed) book so fast. I lost sleep reading it. I woke up and didn't get out of bed for an hour finishing reading it.
it was so wholesome. I had tissues nearby because I couldn't stop sniveling due to pure happiness. Man, what a balm of a book, and so very entertaining and well edited. not perfectly edited mind you
a few minor typos
I'm going to be thinking about my reading experience all day and hold onto that feeling til it begins to fade. forlorn sigh

The rest of it is still up on Royalroad at the moment. It's pretty good.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

doandroidzdream posted:

a few minor typos

Beware of Chicken is sooooo good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ku.jpg

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also the cover art is a green haired babe who I'm pretty sure is supposed to look like Mei from Beware of Chicken and I couldn't even make it a page in before putting it down lol

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Also the cover art is a green haired babe who I'm pretty sure is supposed to look like Mei from Beware of Chicken and I couldn't even make it a page in before putting it down lol

Ah yes the Bestseller in pointlessly specific category, may as well just be the book title.

Also you made the mistake of reading a book with Posing Lady cover art, so I hope you enjoy your recommends not having anything else now!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadHat posted:

Ah yes the Bestseller in pointlessly specific category, may as well just be the book title.

Also you made the mistake of reading a book with Posing Lady cover art, so I hope you enjoy your recommends not having anything else now!

It's already been cursed by that for a while now but I'm too lazy to clear the recommendations, which really suck as it is since it's half books I already read (some of them I even bought, so it's not like Amazon forgot I read it already)

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

i love carl and donut

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Wrote a book. It's not on KU but you can read the first chapter right here.

It's a bit Donald Westlake crossed with Cowboy Bebop. Capitalism bad, cops bad, stealing from the rich is good actually, and it's funny but not jokey.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Hyperactive posted:

Wrote a book. It's not on KU but you can read the first chapter right here.

It's a bit Donald Westlake crossed with Cowboy Bebop. Capitalism bad, cops bad, stealing from the rich is good actually, and it's funny but not jokey.

Dortmunder or Parker?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Oh, definitely Dortmunder.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first contact has had like it's 30th down to the wire battle scene featuring extremely injured and under supplied Major Vuxten killing an insane amount of enemy troops while Hip Hop Soldier blasts in the background (in the form of bold text between scenes) and I'm here for it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A cultivation novel where at the end the protagonist unravels a globe spanning list of plot holes or inconsistencies to hassel the creation beings/gods with for all time.

"If death/blood/murder cultivation is a quick route to power wouldn't most butchers/slaughter house operators be powerhouses"

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

first contact has had like it's 30th down to the wire battle scene featuring extremely injured and under supplied Major Vuxten killing an insane amount of enemy troops while Hip Hop Soldier blasts in the background (in the form of bold text between scenes) and I'm here for it.

Had to drop that serial because it got too rinse and repeat. Did love Vuxten, his green mantid-bro, and Jason Voorhees Bunny(?) Girl tho

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

navyjack posted:

Had to drop that serial because it got too rinse and repeat. Did love Vuxten, his green mantid-bro, and Jason Voorhees Bunny(?) Girl tho

yeah. it's kind of the point, though, and i happen to love that flavor of garbage.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019

Megazver posted:

The rest of it is still up on Royalroad at the moment. It's pretty good.

I don't want to get sucked into the jet engine that is RR and I'm determined to get my monies worth out of KU. I have no problem waiting for book 2 plus I hear 3 is in the midst of being written which makes me *lip bite* for all the good reading hours to come. However, I'd like to find something new - what is everyone reading that's in KU? No preferences on my part; just pure, unadulterated snooping.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

doandroidzdream posted:

However, I'd like to find something new - what is everyone reading that's in KU? No preferences on my part; just pure, unadulterated snooping.

I just polished off The Primal Hunter, which is an acceptably cromulent system apocalypse litRPG of the "guy solos his way into having better more fancy numbers than anyone else" variety that you see in similar crap like Defiance of the Fall or The Ritualist.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Speaking of Defiance of the Fall, it took me a surprising amount of time to realize the insane frequency with which the author uses the phrase "with [some] <emotion>" to color an action and oh god I can't unsee it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Haystack posted:

I just polished off The Primal Hunter, which is an acceptably cromulent system apocalypse litRPG of the "guy solos his way into having better more fancy numbers than anyone else" variety that you see in similar crap like Defiance of the Fall or The Ritualist.
I'm up to date on this on RR, I don't know where the KU book ends but IMO I'm liking the recent academy stuff more than the "I shoot the strongest bestest arrows" stuff; the vault arc was pretty good too.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Telsa Cola posted:

A cultivation novel where at the end the protagonist unravels a globe spanning list of plot holes or inconsistencies to hassel the creation beings/gods with for all time.

"If death/blood/murder cultivation is a quick route to power wouldn't most butchers/slaughter house operators be powerhouses"

Only if it was a sacred beast slaughterhouse. Come on.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Preorder buttons opened up for dreadgod things, as it is now two weeks away. I'm very excited.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019

Haystack posted:

Heard good things about Primal Hunter - cracked it open last night before bed.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I wish I could do the whispersync as a preorder, since I mostly listen to the audiobook but like to have both. It was available early on the first day for Reaper, but it would be nice to have it all taken care of.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019
Noone asked - and who was I to turn down the request of the modest, soft-spoken noone - if I could share my Goodreads bookshelves. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4427755-freedom
Most but not all are books checked out in KU. Most but not all are LitRPG. Happy to share impressions of any books read.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

doandroidzdream posted:

a few minor typos

Could not agree more. Read it because of this thread, and went through the same experience.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's an epic serial and my biggest criticism is that I'm current on it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Happiness Commando posted:

Only if it was a sacred beast slaughterhouse. Come on.

Ultimately depends on how the author constructs their system. A lot of settings have any death release X energy or whatever with higher level beings releasing more.

Lot of settings also have a pretty low bar for what a sacred beast or the equivalent is.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Larry Parrish posted:

It's an epic serial and my biggest criticism is that I'm current on it.

Same, I love it and clearly a lot of others do given how much the guy gets on Patreon.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Same, I love it and clearly a lot of others do given how much the guy gets on Patreon.

When does it get good? I tried it when it was still on royalroad and read until a chicken fought a fox and gave up because it was pretty bad up to that point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pradmer posted:

When does it get good? I tried it when it was still on royalroad and read until a chicken fought a fox and gave up because it was pretty bad up to that point.

sir, you are in the Kindle Unlimited thread

none of it ever gets 'good'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pradmer posted:

it's a slice of life so if you were reading it for big goku-esque fights and long scenes about channeling qi then you were in the wrong place. it's about a dude and his doctor wife and their talking animals in fantasy china.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

pradmer posted:

The chicken fighting the fox is the high point of that section. If you didn't enjoy the fight or anything up to that, you're not going to like it. Sorry, but good on you for trying something different.