Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

*sitting and thinking really hard about all these responses like the famous Thinker statue in Paris, making over the top hmmm and hahhhh noises*

Does ACAB include Officer Jenny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it does

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i am so bad at distance and scale. couple weeks ago i was laying out a loose map for this city region I wanted to model. was trying to strike a balance between making it as big as I want it to all be, and how much I'll actually do before getting distracted/discouraged/think-it-sucks. in particular i tried to keep the number of individual buildings somewhat down.

og map sketch

then i threw in blender and was going to roughly start blocking things out. scaled up the map to be about 2km, which just sounded normal to me somehow for a videogame map idk.

but jeez, at that size, this small square on the map was meant to be one of the smaller 3-story buildings, bout 36 feet high. but that building sized rectangle is like 10 buildings, which means the bigger ones are waaay more.

obviously i can just scale my map back down to be closer in size, but then, did i just make a tinyworld map instead? i guess thats the point of this project really, figuring this poo poo out.

also is this an interesting game map? would u want to walk around such a cityscape??

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Instead of scaling your map up or down you need to figure out your scale and then redraw everything to that scale. Stuff like street width (don't forget gutters,sidewalks, shoulders, intersections, etc), how big are your city blocks, how small is the smallest building, how big is the biggest building, etc.

In conjunction with your scale, you need to primarily consider movement mechanics. Is this a vehicle based game? On foot only? Both? Platforming? Are you a superhero and can fly? How quickly can the player move through the space? How long is too long to get from point A to point B? You may need to fudge the size and scale in favor of more fun or better player experience at the expense of straight 1:1 real world dimensions.

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 21, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon Kennedy has killed a lot of cops canonically, a surprising number of government officials, and so so so many mercenaries.

Non-canonically he was killed and replaced by another version of himself born without the sin of having been a cop.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
We're still looking for people wanting to play Forums Mafia over here! Come join us, call people dirty liars and die horribly. It'll be fun, we promise!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mutata posted:

Instead of scaling your map up or down you need to figure out your scale and then redraw everything to that scale. Stuff like street width (don't forget gutters,sidewalks, shoulders, intersections, etc), how big are your city blocks, how small is the smallest building, how big is the biggest building, etc.

In conjunction with your scale, you need to primarily consider movement mechanics. Is this a vehicle based game? On foot only? Both? Platforming? Are you a superhero and can fly? How quickly can the player move through the space? How long is too long to get from point A to point B? You may need to fudge the size and scale in favor of more fun or better player experience at the expense of straight 1:1 real world dimensions.

good point, prior to this exersize I was worried about my streets not being wide enough, along with alleys not being wide enough to navigate through when i want them to be.

my intention is all-walkable, maybe vehicles if i can figure it out but they'd either be tiny vehicles, like ralph s mouse u shrink to ride, or underground. more or less im trying to make my own kamurocho-like space to walk around and sightsee in (but with more rooftop and upper-level spaces to explore). but yeah, currently have no idea how long it would take to walk from one end of a 2km plane to the other.

this world also has so many beings, its probably not sensible for me to be scaling buildings to human size anyway. Goblins here can be anything from nanobot sized to too-big-for-planet. Goblin Architecture's trick is that it's always bigger on the inside than the outside anyway, long as you can squeeze inside could be infinite space inside.

does sound like i'll need to redraw this map, maybe even block it out in 3d to scale and map it that way. in which case i should take a walk on a 2m plane ue5 and time it. its also occurring to me that maybe i should do the opposite and just start making buildings and have them scaled wildly different, like, so what if i a door is the size of a house or tiny knee-high one? hmmm naww, gotta learn anatomy before you start getting weird with it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539058659304546304?s=20&t=nGENwFmSyIsoJcFrQZPDWw

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://www.eurogamer.net/diablo-immortal-has-earned-almost-20-million-in-just-two-weeks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

20 million actually seems pretty low for a mobile game? In comparison, the recently released Ni no Kuni Cross Worlds made 100 million in a single week.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ted Cruz loves cheat codes, see his previous work in the zodiac ciphers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a few weeks ago he was talking about how video games are bringing about the downfall of American society. I am calling fake gamer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

He's right

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

20 million actually seems pretty low for a mobile game? In comparison, the recently released Ni no Kuni Cross Worlds made 100 million in a single week.

i'd imagine ni no kuni probably has a broader reach into a particularly vulnerable segment of the mobile gaming population (younger kids with access to their parents' credit cards), as well as ghibli films having more cultural cache around the world compared to diablo

the unfortunate reality is that mobile games as gambling simulators aren't going away. there's little political will in most of the world for restrictions on such a vastly profitable enterprise, even when done through outrageously predatory practices, and if all the moralizing in the world has failed to make a dent in the longevity of vegas, it's unlikely to make much of a dent here either

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

*sitting and thinking really hard about all these responses like the famous Thinker statue in Paris, making over the top hmmm and hahhhh noises*

Does ACAB include Officer Jenny

thinking about the powerful aura of the thinker figma I saw recently

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You would think it would be an easy political layup to be against gacha gambling games, its funny / sad that everyone wants to dive deep into that muck

Vermain posted:

the unfortunate reality is that mobile games as gambling simulators aren't going away. there's little political will in most of the world for restrictions on such a vastly profitable enterprise, even when done through outrageously predatory practices, and if all the moralizing in the world has failed to make a dent in the longevity of vegas, it's unlikely to make much of a dent here either

At least you have to make an effort to get to Vegas and the gaming industry there is regulated (for given values of "regulated", of course, but its still better than the hellscape of mobile)

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 21, 2022

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

most of the extremely big names in mobile gaming average something like 200-300 million a month and thats the market and profit standard activision are aiming for, even if that number doubled by the end of june I doubt they would be very happy with it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the state of the industry is best encapsulated by the kotaku article on Fo76's development i read yesterday, where a large part of Fo76's crunch and push for early release was driven by internal jealousy over the fact that fallout shelter - that lovely little base-building game that looks like a unity project thrown together in a month - had made something like $200 million and was bethesda's most profitable fallout game ever. there's just no way to compete with those numbers with traditional one-time purchase titles

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

i'd imagine ni no kuni probably has a broader reach into a particularly vulnerable segment of the mobile gaming population (younger kids with access to their parents' credit cards), as well as ghibli films having more cultural cache around the world compared to diablo

The biggest issue with NNK is that its NFT/Crypto mechanic went live shortly after launch. The game is playable on PC too, and bots have flooded the game making all of the servers have 4+ hour queue wait times to play. On top of all of the serious issues that crypto presents that we've all gone into and agree is bad many times before.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Shellception posted:

We're still looking for people wanting to play Forums Mafia over here! Come join us, call people dirty liars and die horribly. It'll be fun, we promise!

I don't have the time/attention to keep up with it, but I encourage anyone who does to play. Mafia is a good rear end time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

In part its cause it pissed off the chinese government and can't launch there so RIP the king of gacha problems market.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

In part its cause it pissed off the chinese government and can't launch there so RIP the king of gacha problems market.

oh lol, yeah that'll do it. $20 million outside of china is probably a king's ransom in the mobile market these days

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Barudak posted:

Given the whole Blitzchung scandal that's just deserts

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Help Im Alive posted:

thinking about the powerful aura of the thinker figma I saw recently

what a strange coincidence that Auguste Rodin died of figma

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

i think the state of the industry is best encapsulated by the kotaku article on Fo76's development i read yesterday, where a large part of Fo76's crunch and push for early release was driven by internal jealousy over the fact that fallout shelter - that lovely little base-building game that looks like a unity project thrown together in a month - had made something like $200 million and was bethesda's most profitable fallout game ever. there's just no way to compete with those numbers with traditional one-time purchase titles

Was Fallout Shelter the game where they had some sort of design flaw issues preventing them from ever truly stopping people from just hacking in infinite loot but they made so much money anyway they never fixed it?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

At least you have to make an effort to get to Vegas and the gaming industry there is regulated (for given values of "regulated", of course, but its still better than the hellscape of mobile)

In states with deregulated gambling there are "gaming parlors" everywhere in even the smallest towns and some sort of slots or w/e in literally every gas station shop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Oh my god so much stuff happened tonight. First of all I did a bunch of class quests and Silvairre tried to shove me into mortal danger but I was like gently caress you I'm too cool for that poo poo and now I'm an archer for reals. But more importantly I also ran into Foulques again and he tried to persuade me to leave the Lancer's guild cause their a bunch of pussies and I REALLY WANT TO but apparently Liandris doesn't. Come on girl go hang with the badass spearman :(

Anyway I then met my invisible moogle friend and rescued the egg of a chocobo princess and I was about to chill when the Ixal attacked this big spirit tree so I teamed up with the army to attack them and it was loving awesome. So we won obviously but then I was attacked by the creepy magician and he set a demon on me but I was too strong for him (with a little help from Yda and Purplelime in the clinch) and all of a sudden I was a hero of Gridania! And the Queen of the city showed up to praise me and she made me this big important person in their festival and told me all about the people who played the original FF14, it turns out no one remembers them any more and it was really sad. Then I had another acid trip and flashed back to a huge war and there were lots of boom booms and it was so freaking cool I swear to god. Now I'm the Queen's envoy and I'm heading to the other major nations to organise our forces but oh poo poo the enemy empire we thought in the past is back up and running led by this evil gently caress called Nero and oh poo poo they're the GARLAND Empire but who cares about that cause I'm in Lhima Limisa and I need to go learn how to be a cook or whatever.

Also the music in this game is incredible. The music during the Greenbliss was emotional af and then when you get on the airship and you get the classic FF airship sting and it's just :discourse:

This is a good game :)

Always makes me happy to see someone get this into the game this early. It only gets exponentially better from here.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you know how in original star trek they had a run of episodes where the enterprise would run smack dab into some bizarrely monothemed planet, like the Cowboy Planet or the Nazi Planet

my current increasingly-correct theory is that we are, in fact, the Gambling Planet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No it's still just Nazi Planet

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

you know how in original star trek they had a run of episodes where the enterprise would run smack dab into some bizarrely monothemed planet, like the Cowboy Planet or the Nazi Planet

my current increasingly-correct theory is that we are, in fact, the Gambling Planet

"A hundred Quatloos for the Premium Pack!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got an email from a website called coolstuffinc. They sell board games and tabletop gaming stuff. The email was mostly just updating me on new items in stock and new sales going on. It also imcluded this terrible comic.

I am not going to check out more of "Cardboard Crack" and also that is some of the laziest art I've seen for a webcomic. I thought "I'm terrible and even I could do better than that in ms paint." Half an hour later and I had this.

I think I succeeded. It's a low bar to clear but I'm proud of this lovely little shitpost comic I made and I think it's better, even if only by a hair.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

FirstAidKite posted:

I think I succeeded. It's a low bar to clear but I'm proud of this lovely little shitpost comic I made and I think it's better, even if only by a hair.

The Viacom Copyright Enforcement Response Unit has pinpointed your location

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

FirstAidKite posted:

no please I want to see more. Perhaps Garfield ate your lasagna that you had prepared for your gaming group

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I request more FAK MSPaint comics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
elden ring would be a lot better without the soft caps on stats

if it were literally possible to grind enough to get to the point where endgame bosses only do 5% of your health bar per hit, it would be maybe the best open world game ever

as it stands, FROM's dogged commitment to "harsh gameplay" really holds it back. it's a shame too, because in the first 3/4 of the game, you actually can grind enough to make bosses not hurt you much, but then you get to the last 1/3 of the game and suddenly it's just not possible to do that, which is a big fail

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

I was expecting the ninokuni gacha to flop

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

precision posted:

if it were literally possible to grind enough to get to the point where endgame bosses only do 5% of your health bar per hit, it would be maybe the best open world game ever

as it stands, FROM's dogged commitment to "harsh gameplay" really holds it back. it's a shame too, because in the first 3/4 of the game, you actually can grind enough to make bosses not hurt you much, but then you get to the last 1/3 of the game and suddenly it's just not possible to do that, which is a big fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjvorinYuyg

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

on this, the nicest page, we demand more FAK comics

Rinkles posted:

I was expecting the ninokuni gacha to flop

it's apparently so flooded with bots people are stuck in log in queues

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sorry fak, but sometimes you inspire the wrong people
:nsfw: :nws: :nsfw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

precision posted:

let me break the game Fromsoft!