Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SamuraiFoochs posted:

[...]
I'm not saying people don't nitpick, but also don't sit there and tell me the opposite doesn't also doesn't happen because it 100% does.

you really shouldn't be taking my post as saying the opposite never happens and having that as your main takeaway is kind of part of the problem? i even say in my post that people absolutely are allowed to be critical of aew, and straight-up i personally think max used to get edgier than he should've so i agree with you on that point. getting aggro at me because you think i'm denigrating people with valid complaints isn't helpful, especially when my post is explicitly not about them

like, i didn't want to bring up specific examples because i felt like it was fine as a generalization, but i'm talking about people saying stuff like 'this guy could barely move in the ring and was a waste of a hire' when he did a standing leapfrog in the middle of the match, or 'it sucks that aew didn't say anything about cm punk's injury on the show' when there was an entire segment dedicated to him coming out, talking about the injury, and explaining that there'd be a challenge for the interim title (for two recent things on top of my memory, but it feels like it happens multiple times a week). it's hard to treat stuff like that on face value when it just feels so baseless, you know? how do you treat a criticism in 100% good faith if it feels like the criticism is coming from a universe where the show they watched was not the show you watched, and how do you respond when they get mad at you for saying something along those lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Speaking as someone who basically came back to Something Awful in order to post about AEW in the wrestling forum (yes, I know, devastating self-own) my experience has basically been this:

1) pretty much everything that people have raised as an issue is the case. And that's both the "thread can be cliquey" stuff and the "people are weird about the thread culture" stuff.

2) pretty much everything that people have raised as an issue isn't the end of the world.

the reason both of these things are true and become a problem is because

3) People treat the AEW thread really seriously. Even the people who say we shouldn't take things so seriously and :justpost: in fact maybe especially them.

It means that disagreements grow strongly out of essentially nothing, or things where the faultlines are known and it's not really worth relitigating every few weeks. I'd rattle off a litany of what the stock issues are but anyone who posts in the thread regularly knows what a lot of them are already. People give too much of a poo poo and then get mocked a bit for giving too much of a poo poo (by people who themselves probably give too much of a poo poo).

I don't have a solution, I'm afraid. I don't want the thread to be a hugbox but I don't want it to be a knife fight either. If there's hope from this latest flare up it's that maybe people including myself will stop a bit more and ask "am I being an arsehole right now?".

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 21, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeah I'll cop to posting the white noise "crowd is dead" shitpost sometimes but that stems from people repeatedly saying it when crowds were visibly on their feet and audibly loud, that's why it became a catchphrase. Some criticisms have been really baffling, like the person is watching an entirely different show or accidentally hit mute or something.

this is a genuinely good example too. back before it became a meme you'd see people posting about how little the audience gave a poo poo about a match or some wrestlers and the match itself would have people on their feet, reacting loudly, and chanting for people. it'd be a little more reasonable if it was 'the people on SA didn't give a poo poo' b/c lord knows there's a dozen wrestlers hugely over with the crowd that people on sa want gone and say they don't understand why they're still on TV. it just grates when it feels like people have to be actively ignoring chunks of the show to post their complaints, and it's definitely part of why i felt people were being disingenuous on purpose

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think you're misrepresenting what happened in that thread. You said you didn't like The Acclaimed

And no one even directly disagreed with you about The Acclaimed, and then several pages later you came back and said this:

It seems like your hangup was that people liked The Acclaimed and you didn't. Which is okay? But between those two posts, no one directly disagreed with you and mostly a couple people said that they did like The Acclaimed.

This is a big part of it. The way Fooch remembers those posts and the way they actually come off are pretty different and the fallout wasn't even that bad.

The whole Acclaimed thing is a great example of good faith posters writing things that they don't intend to be personal attacks but can absolutely come off that way and then everyone gets defensive instead of just explaining that no, they did not actually mean if you like the Acclaimed you love Trump and racism, they personally just don't like the Acclaimed.

And to be 100% fair the opposite also happens where someone posts something that they think is obviously a joke or a goof and it's read in a way that's not at all what the writer intended and then people get defensive.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 21, 2022

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is a big part of it. The way Fooch remembers those posts and the way they actually come off are pretty different and the fallout wasn't even that bad.

The whole Acclaimed thing is a great example of good faith posters writing things that they don't intend to be personal attacks but can absolutely come off that way and then everyone gets defensive instead of just explaining that no, they did not actually mean if you like the Acclaimed you love Trump and racism, they personally just don't like the Acclaimed.

And to be 100% fair the opposite also happens where someone posts something that they think is obviously a joke or a goof and it's read in a way that's not at all what the writer intended and then people get defensive.

I'm not saying otherwise but just let me point out one other variable about this that is specific to me and only me and won't involve direct metaposting or callouts (though the last thing I'll say is, if the Jungle Boy quote from me was in the OP for example I wouldn't be mad b/c yes it is something I posted that was unintentionally funny that was worthy of jokes, but I also ultimately found it funny, but the LL example is a little shittier because that was an incident that, AFAIK, was genuinely upsetting to LL, particularly the avatar thing, and there's a difference there):

People are also 100% right that it's not the end of the world and at the end of the day sometimes folks need to lighten up. Using SAS as an example for a second, I've tried really really hard to work on just letting Chris Paul Jokes slide because 1. At this point they're kinda warranted and I could see the humor in it if you don't like him and 2. me always getting mad isn't/wasn't a good look either.

The reason I'm bringing it up is it's a cumulative effect and it just kinda bums me out. An individual joke or somebody making fun of me isn't the end of the world. But over time, feeling like it happens all the time can really burn folks out, and I think when anger DOES come out, I think that's where some of the anger comes from. And if someone is "always on" w/r/t jokes but they frame them in a way that's ironic enough that it's tough to know when they're joking, sometimes things can feel targeted even when they're not.

I don't think there's a "solution" to this, other than maybe realizing if somebody is genuinely upset and you don't hate their guts, maybe kinda pump the brakes a bit. We should be allowed to joke, but also just saying "it's jokes on the internet" has its limits. Doesn't mean someone should fly off the handle at a tiny jab, but some better mutual understanding probably wouldn't suck.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel bad that LL took the whole acclaimed thing as an attack, because EMF’s post is genuinely one of the funniest things I’ve read in this sub forum and it makes me laugh every time I see it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Acclaimed thing didn't annoy me because I took it to mean "if you like the Acclaimed, you like Trump." It annoyed me because it was comparing a black, gay wrestler to Trump. And I really don't wanna hear about how I'm misinterpreting or that that's not what happened because that's literally, factually, what happened.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

The Acclaimed thing didn't annoy me because I took it to mean "if you like the Acclaimed, you like Trump." It annoyed me because it was comparing a black, gay wrestler to Trump. And I really don't wanna hear about how I'm misinterpreting or that that's not what happened because that's literally, factually, what happened.

Lol yeah, there's also this where sometimes you just say something offensive and then get heat for it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Speaking as someone who basically came back to Something Awful in order to post about AEW in the wrestling forum (yes, I know, devastating self-own) my experience has basically been this:

1) pretty much everything that people have raised as an issue is the case. And that's both the "thread can be cliquey" stuff and the "people are weird about the thread culture" stuff.

2) pretty much everything that people have raised as an issue isn't the end of the world.

3) People treat the AEW thread really seriously. Even the people who say we shouldn't take things so seriously and :justpost: in fact maybe especially them.

It means that disagreements grow strongly out of essentially nothing, or things where the faultlines are known and it's not really worth relitigating every few weeks. I'd rattle off a litany of what the stock issues are but anyone who posts in the thread regularly knows what a lot of them are already. People give too much of a poo poo and then get mocked a bit for giving too much of a poo poo (by people who themselves probably give too much of a poo poo).

I don't have a solution, I'm afraid. I don't want the thread to be a hugbox but I don't want it to be a knife fight either. If there's hope from this latest flare up it's that maybe people including myself will stop a bit more and ask "am I being an arsehole right now?".

Yo, I agree with this a whole hell of a lot.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I think the reaction to the guy who called LLs post cringe last night is how this place really acts toward a true rear end in a top hat and it was great. That is what posting like a dickhead looks like and how it should be handled imo.

Critical fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 21, 2022

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I’m pro-knife fight forum for the record

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MotU posted:

i don't really think it would be healthy long term it might lead to some funny posts early on but such an environment will just lead to more posting on egg shells or weird grudge posts from over dramatic types.

Critical posted:

I think the reaction to the guy who called LLs post cringe last night is how this place really acts toward a true rear end in a top hat and it was great. That is what posting like a dickhead looks like and how it should be handled imo.
that guy is a disingenuous poo poo head and is the type of poster that will never have the self awareness or filter to ask themselves if they're being an rear end in a top hat.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i don't really think it would be healthy long term it might lead to some funny posts early on but such an environment will just lead to more posting on egg shells or weird grudge posts from over dramatic types.

We could try an egg fight instead.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

MotU posted:

We have Grappling and Boxing and other threads, I don't see why we can't have a knife fight thread, as long as generally self defense focused and not an instructional on stabbing people.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Brut posted:

We have Grappling and Boxing and other threads, I don't see why we can't have a knife fight thread, as long as generally self defense focused and not an instructional on stabbing people.

*looks dejected and walks away with my bas ruten youtube link*

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Isn't there a combat sport that's dudes in armor fighting with knives and maces and broadswords and poo poo?

There should definitely be a thread for that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Isn't there a combat sport that's dudes in armor fighting with knives and maces and broadswords and poo poo?

Medieval Times

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

We need more threads in general for weird fighting-adjacent everything.

We brought sumo threads in here and they're regularly awesome. We need one for Knightfights, Battlebots, etc.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dacap posted:

Medieval Times

That rules, but not what I'm talking about. Check this poo poo out :

https://youtu.be/QhF1i23vwps

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

M-1 Medieval: It's The Show You Been Waiting On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCQ2pBob5Q

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I knew some Viking reenactors who did something like that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lmao. The 35 million results really carries this.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

We need more threads in general for weird fighting-adjacent everything.

We brought sumo threads in here and they're regularly awesome. We need one for Knightfights, Battlebots, etc.

Battlebots thread is in tviv

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986795

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Christian hosted one of those weird medieval combat shows so it has crossover appeal

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I know and I always mean to post in that one but we could also have one here for fightgoons to compare Tombstone/Bite Force II to Silva/Weidman II.

Really my point was more just to encourage more threads here for niche sports slightly connected to fighting and/or wrestling.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 21, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean let's see where the Eddie Kingston/Jericho thing goes

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

why didnt anyone invite me to any posting cliques or cabals

are my posts too intimidating?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
You can be part of the hardline splinter cell of PSP instead.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

The drawbacks (getting yelled at all the time) far outweigh the perks (getting yelled at all the time but now privately about your basketball opinions)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

You already lead the Itoh Respect Army

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Put in the work and maybe you'll be named next time we decide to do a forum-wide Airing of Grievances

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
monster trucks are sports entertainment

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sandman McMahon posted:

Put in the work and maybe you'll be named next time we decide to do a forum-wide Airing of Grievances

no shot, we don't want to risk incurring the wrath of Maki Itoh.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

monster trucks are sports entertainment

Honestly they protect the business better than Medieval Times.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

This is a very good post and thank you for making it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yes, and i second that the thread should exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCQ2pBob5Q

oh there's also a team version of that too that could be tied into that thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKSI1OPGa4

I will try and make a thread for it this weekend if nobody steps up to do it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

This is a very good post and thank you for making it.

why did you throw me on the list

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the irony of this av lid bought me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

why did you throw me on the list

i'm not lid but its 100% because most of the posters were enclosed pool area posters/people that wanted that subforum, its not any deeper than that i assure you