Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad guy

Have you never read them before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

The game was good but also bad.

MCMXCV

bad guy posted:

Have you never read them before?
Never. I'm super excited. I saw the movie with that same friend and it was so good. Can't wait to finish this so I can get started on the "trilogy" lol

MCMXCV

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The game was good but also bad.
Yeah my buddy had to help out a lot. Its age shows, for sure. Funny as gently caress though. A lot of the puzzles were very esoteric.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Decided to reread some Agatha Christie because some friends and I have been watching Poirot.

Murder in Retrospect is still the best one, but Crooked House and Towards Zero are definitely up there.

3D Megadoodoo

Leraika posted:

Decided to reread some Agatha Christie because some friends and I have been watching Poirot.

Murder in Retrospect is still the best one, but Crooked House and Towards Zero are definitely up there.

bad guy

MCMXCV posted:

Never. I'm super excited. I saw the movie with that same friend and it was so good. Can't wait to finish this so I can get started on the "trilogy" lol

Listen to the original BBC radio series first IMO

bad guy

if you want to read some other Douglas Adams while you're doing that, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is the single best book he ever wrote

MCMXCV

bad guy posted:

Listen to the original BBC radio series first IMO
I will do this before the books, and also take a look at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Thanks for the suggestions, bro.

3D Megadoodoo

I got the last three Hyperion books in the mail on Wednesday, and now I've lost them.

I need to tidy my apartment :negative: (Not that I don't have a bunch of other stuff to read but managing to lose three books is a bit more severe than losing a pen or something.)

biosterous

rereading Anathem by Neal Stephenson for like the fifth or sixth time. it's good and fun, for me! probably also for other people!

math monks yay

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

bad guy

MCMXCV posted:

I will do this before the books, and also take a look at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Thanks for the suggestions, bro.

cool. i love all his books. he was a profoundly funny writer. last chance to see is nonfiction about endangered animals and it's great too..

ToxicFrog

Ripped through Activation Degradation in a single evening. It's squishy, organic Murderbot with a side of first contact! Enjoyed it a lot, although I felt like the ending was both abrupt and a bit unsatisfying, like it needed more of a denoument.

After that I read some Alex Zandra shorts, and now I'm on to a short story collection, Shark Week. It's a collection of furry stories on the theme of the ocean (although "furry" is a bit of a misnomer here; a lot of the stories are Disney-style intelligent animals, not anthros, and even the ones that do feature anthros usually don't have fur). It's been slow going; most of the stories don't really land with me, and while there's a few I like, none so far that are the sort of true standouts that lead me to investigate the author's other work. I picked it up because a friend of mine has a story in it (which I haven't gotten to yet, but I've generally enjoyed their other work).

After that...who knows? If I'm in a fantasy mood I have a book I need to beta read, but I might not be.

biosterous posted:

rereading Anathem by Neal Stephenson for like the fifth or sixth time. it's good and fun, for me! probably also for other people!

math monks yay

I really liked the monastic travelogue part of Anathem (which is most of it, to be fair) but felt it went precipitously downhill towards the end (around the space station).

Which is par for the course for Stephenson, really.

biosterous

ToxicFrog posted:

Which is par for the course for Stephenson, really.

100%. still one of my fav authors though lol

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

I just finished A Psalm for the Wild-built by Becky Chambers. It was a decent book. The protagonist is maybe a bit Mary Sue, but I don't know the author so maybe not. Anyway, a nice parable. I think it would make an incredible Pixar or Dreamworks type movie. Her writing is very visual.

3D Megadoodoo

Reading Zelazny's "Nine Princes in Amber" and it's boring the socks off me.

I'm now wearing no socks.

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Currently really enjoying Mary Stewart’s The Crystal Cave. We had to read the Rosemary Sutcliffe Arthurian books in school when I was like twelve or thirteen (the unit ended with us having to watch the movie version of Camelot and I’ve never been so bored), and I was Not Having Any Of It at the time for various reasons, so for decades I thought I hated all King Arthur stuff. Am unexpectedly pleased to discover that I actually do really like this stuff, especially when it leans into being set in post-Roman Britain.

Non Krampus Mentis fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 23, 2022

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

3D Megadoodoo

I was trying to remember what that one Arthur thing was that was really popular when I was a kid and it was Marion Zimmer Bradley's "The Mists of Avalon" (I called my sister because she has the book).

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was trying to remember what that one Arthur thing was that was really popular when I was a kid and it was Marion Zimmer Bradley's "The Mists of Avalon" (I called my sister because she has the book).

Hugely popular when it came out but I didn't like her other works. Then it turned out she was a genuinely horrible person!

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

Hugely popular when it came out but I didn't like her other works. Then it turned out she was a genuinely horrible person!

Oh poo poo.

Not gonna look it up.

E: I looked it up and it was way worse than I thought.

free hubcaps

for some reason, recently I've been thinking about books that I was assigned to read in school of which I didn't have any positive expectations, but ended up enjoying a lot. I think chief among these was Wisdom Sits in Places by Keith Basso. It's a nonfiction anthropology book but reads like (and in many senses is) a novel about the ways in which the Western Apache use storytelling featuring topographical references as a form of social control and moral education, as well as Basso's interactions and experience as a young cultural anthropologist. It's a really great book.

ty Saoshyant!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

took forever to read Max Barry's "Lexicon" no idea why it took so long, it was relatively short. Elden Ring probably had a lot to do with it.

picked up Gretchen Felker-Martin's Manhunt and woo boy is that a gross, but amazing book

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

I read Treasure Island over the span of a few days, and when I was done, I drank some rum.
Yo ho ho!

3D Megadoodoo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I read Treasure Island over the span of a few days, and when I was done, I drank some rum.
Yo ho ho!

Did you find the bottle imp?

free hubcaps

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Yo ho ho!

treasure island gets all the love but I liked The Black Arrow a lot more. The main character is named Dick.

ty Saoshyant!

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did you find the bottle imp?

Lance Tooks did an amazing graphic adaptation, well worth seeking out (along with his other works).

Non Krampus Mentis

free hubcaps posted:

treasure island gets all the love but I liked The Black Arrow a lot more. The main character is named Dick.

Holy poo poo Black Arrow rules. I always liked that Richard III was referred to as Dick Crookback, which makes him sound like a cool old prospector instead of a lovely king.

Gruß vom Krampus

3D Megadoodoo

I was wondering why that sounded so familiar. It was, of course, the comic album:

e: The art is p good, especially the colouring:

Non Krampus Mentis

I’m very happy right now because I know what scene this is and it is one of my favorite scenes. This owns!

Gruß vom Krampus

baka of lathspell

bump

i finished breth/th treez uv lunaria by bill bissett, a bunch of poems and some drawings. i was told reaching out to tell him that i appreciated his work if i did so would be a good move so i am going to

sort of an extremified almost instant messagery approach to poetry but he was doing it in 1957

next up is a curated collection of irish writings

baka of lathspell fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 21, 2022

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’m very happy right now because I know what scene this is and it is one of my favorite scenes. This owns!

lol i thought this was about ultraman

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman is in the top three of horror I've read ever. It has excellent story and prose and symbolism. A+ would read again except I gave it to my aunt (who loves it and plans to gift it to someone else she knows when she's done)

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I finished The Master's Apprentice by Oliver Potsch, which is a retelling of the Faust story. It was outstanding and I'm about to start the second book (The Devil's Pawn) tonight.

for fucks sake

I read a short and easy-to-read version of Utvandrarna (The Emigrants) in Swedish. I even understood most of it!

It's set in Sweden in the mid 1800's when something like a million people emigrated to the US.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I finished Monstrous Regiment last week, one of the few Terry Pratchett Discworld novels I hadn't read yet. I wasn't ready for it. I expected a humorous take on an army with trolls and vampires in its numbers. And I got that too, but I also got a rather dark but full of hope novel that will stay with me for a long while.

If you haven't read this one (or anything else by Pratchett) please PLEASE do so. It's short enough that you will get through it at most in a week.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

baka of lathspell

Saoshyant posted:

I finished Monstrous Regiment last week, one of the few Terry Pratchett Discworld novels I hadn't read yet. I wasn't ready for it. I expected a humorous take on an army with trolls and vampires in its numbers. And I got that too, but I also got a rather dark but full of hope novel that will stay with me for a long while.

If you haven't read this one (or anything else by Pratchett) please PLEASE do so. It's short enough that you will get through it at most in a week.

i thought this one was okay but it sort of kept being the same twist over and over im gonna peruse my collection and see which ones i liked best

oh yea wyrd sisters or any of the granny weatherwax ones

feet of clay maybe & moving pictures had that good popcorn burn

& in retrospect night watch being super grim was powerful cuz i wasnt ready for it. that guy really wanted to get at something on his way out

baka of lathspell

also if u want a short one by him read the amazo maurice

that book of irish stuff turned out to be mostly nonfic, a history of the tradition since the nobles booked for cromwell

so its slow going i dont have a head for nonfic

i reread some ray chandler and im rereading as i lay dying again

3D Megadoodoo

baka fwocka fwame posted:

i reread some ray chandler and im rereading as i lay dying again

sorry to hear that, :rip:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Saoshyant posted:

Funny enough I'm reading the Death books ("Mort" "Soul Music" "Reaper Man") and watching the weird TV adaptation of The Watch books. Pratchett is balm for a weary soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

After hearing that Mike Davis has moved onto palliative care, I started re-reading the Monster Enters and will like read a couple more of his as they have always been really great. Plus it isn't raining so I can read on the hammock