Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
What do you think these are, Fastitocalon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You probably could have survived Heave with Protect I'd imagine.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Dan, post a picture of that cake. Was it truly ruined? :ohdear:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 14, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A way to get through these easier, which is difficult for you to get right now, is that most random encounters are vulnerable to Death and/or Stone. So even a -touch weapon for either status will make things super easy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Does stone give AP? I know Death does.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah petrifying enemies still gives AP

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The trickier part is making sure that you don't have the guy with Stone/Death kill everything and prevent anybody else from getting AP

That, and you really want Confuse Ward or Confuseproof on them

There is something odd about the difficulty curve in this game, particularly HP. By this point, you have access to multiple enemies that can come near (or exceed) the standard 9999 HP cap in damage, but they aren't really presented as impossible foes. Yet party HP sort of naturally flows toward what Danaru's party does. It feels like they expected you to have a lot more than the game gives you.

Also, gating some fairly important boosts (breaking the damage limit for the first several Aeons behind the Celestial Weapons (which are not easy to get without a guide) is kind of a dick move.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I genuinely think that this game was balanced around the assumption that you have purchased the guide, or at least the post-game is. There was a weird period of time, and I think the late 90s/early 2000s was the height of it, where selling guides was viewed as a great extra revenue stream for video game companies, especially those that sold JRPGs. I get the impression that they were trying to basically have two distinct difficulty curves, one for the non-guide-buyers in the regular game that caps out with the final story boss, and one for the guide-buyers where even if you know exactly what to do it's still hard (where, unfortunately, "hard" ends up mostly meaning "a pain in the goddamn rear end") in the post game fighting the ultra-powerful enemies.

They did an ok job of it in the original version, but honestly with the placement of the dark aeons in the re-release I think they kind of hosed it up. Quite a few of those are just a colossal gently caress-you to anyone not playing with a guide saying what to get when, because things you will really wish you had when fighting them are locked behind them unless you know the exact right time to go and fetch said important things. e.g. taking the boat all the way back to Besaid right after you find the first Jecht sphere, otherwise gently caress you, the one there is stuck behind Dark Valefor. Or getting the Destruction Sphere treasure in the ice temple, otherwise gently caress you, you can't go back in without beating Dark Shiva, and you'll have to do that without Yuna's celestial weapon, which requires already having gotten that Destruction Sphere treasure.)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Even the story bosses are really tricky. The next major boss is a massive rear end in a top hat, probably worse than Seymour Flux.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Flux can be summon-rushed pretty easily, add in poison and mortibsorption and he has no chance. No such luck for the next roadblock.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honestly, the next boss isn't too intimidating because she does very little damage. It's a long fight, and irritating, but the only thing that can ever kill you is the Mega Death/zombie gimmick.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly, the next boss isn't too intimidating because she does very little damage. It's a long fight, and irritating, but the only thing that can ever kill you is the Mega Death/zombie gimmick.

I think you're skipping over two bosses there. But those are quite simple.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think you're skipping over two bosses there. But those are quite simple.

Oh I'm well aware but I never see Sanctuary and Spectral Keeper mentioned as "roadblocks" I didn't think anybody was talking about them. Although Spectral Keeper, the one on the lift with the glyph mines and Berserk Tail and counterattack, is way harder than Yunalesca.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i think part of the stats issue is that like, the Expert Sphere Grid is more customizable and flexible but it also just has fewer raw stats on it to begin with, so you are, fundamentally, at a lower stat bracket than the game expects

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Akratic Method posted:

They did an ok job of it in the original version, but honestly with the placement of the dark aeons in the re-release I think they kind of hosed it up.
They were originally introduced in the PS2 PAL release. It wasn't enough we had to wait six months for a version that runs 17% slower and has a squashed aspect ratio with giant black bars because gently caress the PAL region, but Square also had to add some total bullshit to make the game worse and gently caress PAL users over just a little bit more while advertising it as new bonus content. Thanks, lads.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Dark Aeons ruled and I won't hear any argument. All those American plebs were super jealous of us. Hah, you mean your final boss is Nemesis? Little itty baby boy who fights you when you're good and ready and doesn't randomly destroy you when you enter a new zone and cause you to lose a couple of hours of progress?

I actually loved getting wrecked by the Dark Aeons the gently caress out of nowhere, made them real menacing. And then having to hunt around for them. Dark Anima was the only one I never found on my own and had to look up. And Penance, man, he was an almost mythical figure. Had no idea what he even looked like so it was entirely left up to my imagination. It wasn't until YouTube in 2006 that I even found out what he looked like (because the only strategy I had was Zanmato and Dark Yojimbo having to be fought 5 times kind of...shits on that strategy).

I feel like people really overstate how bad missing stuff screws you over. Like sure, it sucks missing out on Tidus or Yuna's ultimate weapon, but you can still get plenty of them that aren't locked behind superbosses. The only reason you would want the Celestial Weapons to begin with is to do postgame stuff, and if you're doing postgame stuff you're going to beat all the Dark Aeons eventually, and that can be done with any party members. You'll need to grind to a complete sphere grid with everyone to beat them anyway (Zanmato notwithstanding) so you can use any party members to beat them.

And if all else fails, just pay Yojimbo to make them go away. Problem solved. Kill a few Mimics in the Omega Ruins (ideally with Gillionaire) and you've got all your money back.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 15, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
One weird part is how the enemies scale. Some of the late game random encounters are legitimately harder than the local bosses. Running away from a behemoth at your level is expected and probably the better idea.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

cant cook creole bream posted:

Dan, post a picture of that cake. Was it truly ruined? :ohdear:

Aside from being stuck to the pan, it was fine. Gonna be a pain to clean though

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 54 - Wakka's Ball!

This game really loves following major reveals with just the most egregious padding, doesn't it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't really get what they were going for with how they balanced slow. If you rush it, it's really valuable and can be combined with haste to no sell big enemies and deny them having a turn at all. But if you don't get it fast enough the game hits a point where everything is either immune or in some cases casts haste as a response in an extra gently caress you for trying to use this skill.

And slowga is far enough down the tree you can only sensibly get it after that shift unless you grind.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Replacing Waka's incredibly strong weapon with evade and counter was not the best move. By the way, that works in combination with guard. That combination would have basically made you untouchable against those fishes.
Imagine a body guard jumping in front of a bullet to protect his employer. But that guy is so good he actually manages to evade the bullet!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 55 - Burly Bawl Mode

An enemy can get away with a lot if I find their counter animation funny

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The Hasted victory poses can be really creepy, but Wakka's is the second-worst.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
apropos of nothing:

dan please name the Magus Sisters Florp, Pinkie Chan, and Elbaki

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Someone needs to be named Pnurtis. Or Pnina.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 56 - Wow Kimahri, You Are All hosed Up

Yeah I'm uh, gonna get some YouTube comments for this one

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

BUTTUSSY

(followed immediately by Auron promising They'll be upon us soon)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, I do not remember that boss being so hard. Hastega would have been helpful, but I guess you'd have kept using that while one of your party members is reflected, so I guess it's a wash.
But I do break out in cold sweat whenever you are using a turbo-ether. You do know that you can not buy those right? They belong on the RPG hoarding pile and should never be used!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God drat right I remember

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The boss isn't particularly hard, just really tedious if you don't stop it's curing gimmick immediately.

That first aeon Overdrive took off half the thing's health (which was negated), and a later one took off another quarter (also negated with the reflect-curing gimmick). Avoid those cures, and the thing goes down easily enough. So it is a pain for blind players, but little more than a speedbump later.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 57 - Sick Of This Exact One Fight

You'd think they'd at least clean up the place a bit, christ

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

They’re too dead to clean things. It’s the same excuse I usually use, although less metaphorical in their case.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
They totally could if they wanted to. But all that debris and destruction feels like fine decoration for thousand year old ghosts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 58 - Sucks, Dude

:geno:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess it doesn't matter but I didn't see Mental Break on their list of immunities. The thing has huge Magic Defense because its whole gimmick is countering physical attacks so Lulu and Rikku would be safe to attack it. Only they do nothing in terms of damage so you can fix that with Mental Break...which you don't have.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
If memory serves, you can interact with the screen showing the colored shapes to get an overview of where those shapes are on the floor. There's nothing in the game to hint that that might be the case.

I never knew that you could remove the Kilika Sphere early and leave yourself in the dark for the rest of the cloister. I don't see why they couldn't just lock it in place until you've solved the rest of the puzzles.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

glyph mine on the aeons loving rules

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess it doesn't matter but I didn't see Mental Break on their list of immunities. The thing has huge Magic Defense because its whole gimmick is countering physical attacks so Lulu and Rikku would be safe to attack it. Only they do nothing in terms of damage so you can fix that with Mental Break...which you don't have.

Well, mental break is part of total break, so I guess it's sort of available. Probably should have done one more fight before that boss.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'm unreasonably amused by Grace's stupid Yuna voice.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It 100% counters Lulu's blizzaga in the next episode :colbert:

It was her Fury overdrive, but I didn't expect that to make a difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
this boss... blows