Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Drimble Wedge posted:

Didn't Alex Trebek ask that there be at least one Canada-related question every show? If they're keeping up that tradition I can see why people would wonder why it pops up every episode.

that cannot be true. there was no Canadian content on my show other than me getting my rear end stomped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

holy poo poo that nosedive lol

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reiterating my opinion last time this came up:

1) mayim bialik is a garbage human being

2) this is SPE's fuckup

3) not looking up how to spell somebody's name properly is lazy

those are all thoughts that do not contradict each other

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This info might be a little off because it's been years now, but they explained to us at taping that they get the third-party lawyers to choose the categories for each show, the morning of each tape day, from a giant collection of categories they've written and got ready months ahead of time. From the way it was said it sounds like the lawyers don't even get to see the clues in each category, it's literally just "pick from these ones" first thing in the morning of tape day.

ETA: And the contestants don't see the lawyer people at all until just before the first episode is getting ready to tape, when one of them comes in to oversee the picking of names, and the choosing of who gets to be in the middle podium and the third one.

There definitely isn't Cancon in every single episode that I've noticed. I think it mainly just came up that one time that O Canada was the answer for final. Which I mean, it has been before, too.

And yeah Bialik sucks a whole lot as a host and human, I think we're all hoping Ken gets the permanent gig...

HookShot fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Holy gently caress, it's champing at the bit, not chomping.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

Is it really? I've literally always said chomping at the bit lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Is it really? I've literally always said chomping at the bit lol

"First they champ, now they stamp, now they stand still."

It's always been "champ."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

Well, that's an eggcorn by me I never realized I was saying incorrectly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

At this point it's not really saying it incorrectly anymore. Champing is a sort of archaic Britishism at this point that only ever gets used in the phrase 'champing at the bit' and maybe in the horse racing world. Chomping is much more commonly used in American English and it makes sense in the exact same way.

IMO they're completely interchangeable as long as you're not quoting something specific like "first they champ, then they stamp".

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Timby posted:

i'd have done a lot better if it were just 61 riddles

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The dude in the third position tonight sounds EXACTLY like Peter Dinklage.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 17, 2022

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

banned from Starbucks posted:

holy poo poo that nosedive lol

Yeah that was rough to watch.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

First they chomp, then they stomp

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
There's been a lot of megachomps on jeopardy recently

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
death of a terrible jeopardy host

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For the record, gypsum comes from gypsos , Greek for plaster while the slur for Romani stemed from Aigyptioi , Greek for Egyptian since it was falsely believed that's where they were from. In other words, it's all Greek to me.

On that note, I would've never gotten Final but that was a trainwreck.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Timby posted:

I had the same reaction and had to look it up. Apparently "chomping" is an "acceptable" alternative. :argh: You KNOW Alex and Ken would have both reacted with "Correct. Or 'champing'."

Also I think Megan said "Czechloslovakia" (haven't hit the end to see if they caught this yet).

Edit: They looked so ashamed after Final lol

CPColin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 21, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is Ken back yet?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
No because we live in a hell timeline.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mayim has covid: https://abc7.com/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-covid-19-positive/11981724/

Don't know if they're still taping the current season or not, but it could make a difference for whether she appears in the latter episodes of this season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
They've wrapped on the current season. Sucks though.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
oh no! maybe her brain pills will help

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Well she's not vaccinated, so there's hope....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:yeshaha:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

From the article: "A spokesperson for the game show host said that she's fully vaccinated."

:smith:

"Bialik has asthma, making her immunocompromised."

:unsmith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Sean posted:

From the article: "A spokesperson for the game show host said that she's fully vaccinated."

:smith:

"Bialik has asthma, making her immunocompromised."

:unsmith:

drat, well that's a reversal from where she was a year ago.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
actively wishing harm ain't it, folks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Know it's been said a thousand times but it is amazing how badly the people running the show hosed up replacing Trebeck. I know people that aren't regular viewers who were confused they didn't just give Ken the job.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

drat, well that's a reversal from where she was a year ago.

She struck me as the "gets vaccinated in private, 'just asks questions' in public" type

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Both shots? Booster? Lies like the football guy?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

CPColin posted:

She struck me as the "gets vaccinated in private, 'just asks questions' in public" type

Yeah doing some searching it looks like she went with an, "I believe in vaccines but I think parents need to make the decision because reasons."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Poque posted:

actively wishing harm ain't it, folks

Discouraging people to get vaccinated is actively harming folks and she should stop, agreed.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Groovelord Neato posted:

Know it's been said a thousand times but it is amazing how badly the people running the show hosed up replacing Trebek. I know people that aren't regular viewers who were confused they didn't just give Ken the job.

It seems in my opinion Sony just wanted a known game show emcee in LA and bought Richards' spiel that he should do it without question and CBS wanted someone who made them a bunch of money. Quality of hosting was irrelevant to the search.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dienes posted:

Discouraging people to get vaccinated is actively harming folks and she should stop, agreed.

they are both true

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
We are several episodes late but we got to the “Harriet tubma…” final jeopardy and both mine and my partner’s jaw dropped. I would be livid if I was Sadie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Island Nation posted:

It seems in my opinion Sony just wanted a known game show emcee in LA and bought Richards' spiel that he should do it without question and CBS wanted someone who made them a bunch of money. Quality of hosting was irrelevant to the search.

The suits always wanted Bialik the guest hosts were a ratings stunt. Richards took over when she couldn't do the main show due to her sitcom. They should've just given it to Ken from the beginning.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

The suits always wanted Bialik the guest hosts were a ratings stunt. Richards took over when she couldn't do the main show due to her sitcom. They should've just given it to Ken from the beginning.

Yeah, the fix was in but it was actually two different fixes happening simultaneously.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Poque posted:

they are both true

How lovely does she have to be before its okay to joke about her?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Holy poo poo, Megan has to be the luckiest person on Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dienes posted:

How lovely does she have to be before its okay to joke about her?

Who? Blossom?