Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sell your Pixel 6s or live with the knowledge that your phone is loyal to Clam's phone, not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

my Pixel 4XL is merely OK

there's no point in upgrading it atm

in fact, I think the screen is too big for a phone tbqh

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bought a Pixel 6 a little while ago to replace my 3A. It's definitely too big, but I actually quite like the heft of it. Feels substantial.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

:shrug:

I literally have all the flagships.

Fold 3, Flip 3, S22 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, OP9P, and Pixel 6 Pro.

I rarely last more than a week with one of the other phones before my SIM is back in the Pixel 6 Pro.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I want more tiny phones. Better yet I want a standalone watch that lets me text and talk and maybe do some fitness tracking without needing to lug a phone around with me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

I bought a Pixel 6 a little while ago to replace my 3A. It's definitely too big, but I actually quite like the heft of it. Feels substantial.

I went from a Motorola 5G Ace which is basically the same size as a Pixel 6 Pro, and that I would say is right on the line of being too big. The Pixel 6 is a little smaller and feels like a good size to me - the screen feels like a good size but it's easier to get in and out of pocket than the bigger phones.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The HTC One remains my favorite form factor. The speakers were actually usable, the display adequate, and the entire thing could be comfortably used one-handed.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yep that was Peak Phone Design. Absolutely beautiful. Give me one with no bezels and a modern camera please

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You might be safe to get a full 90 minutes of runtime on that 2300mAh battery too.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Just give me a trackball again

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Pixel 6 caused me to move to iPhone.

It was the worst smartphone I've ever owned. I'm still annoyed I didn't just get a 5a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kirios posted:

It was the worst smartphone I've ever owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNyUALnj8V0

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey man it was the final straw of playing the Google roulette. I used Nexus/Pixel phones for a decade prior to moving on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kirios posted:

It was the worst smartphone I've ever owned. I'm still annoyed I didn't just get a 5a.

:yikes:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kirios posted:

I didn’t even own one and it caused me to switch 🤷‍♀️

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My pixel 6 killed my dog.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
My girlfriend is shopping for a new phone and we went through her options together last night (even though we both know she'll get an iPhone) and I was shocked to find out that, with our carrier (Rogers, in Canada), the Pixel 6 Pro is one of the most expensive to finance on your plan. The base Pixel 6 is the same price as an S22 Ultra. The 6 Pro is more expensive than the Z Flip or the iPhone 13 (and closer in price to the 13 Pro).

I loved the older Pixel phones, but I loved them because they took great pictures for mid-range prices, and because they had "pure" android at a time when pretty much all other flavors sucked. At a flagship price (and now that OneUI is actually pretty good) I'm having a hard time recommending it.

She'll end up with an iPhone anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its utterly tragic that something as ubiquitous as phones has no truly great options like virtually all other consumer electronic mediums. You can go into the HDTV thread and get recommended a consensus TV for your use case easily. Speakers, computers. Phones? You cant get poo poo, especially for a decent price because the dumb public thinks the slave labor produced iphone is a premium status symbol and other manufacturers dare not deviate from their example if they've any hope to capture any sort of worthwhile market share.

Now of course there was Huawei who made great phones in our experience so they had to be singled out and removed from the western market as if literally every single internet connected device we use isn't actively and aggressively documenting every digital move we make.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

hooah posted:

Sourdough's post was sarcasm, though?

God drat I've been off my game lately. I blame having a teenager in my house stealing all my brainpower.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

codo27 posted:

Its utterly tragic that something as ubiquitous as phones has no truly great options like virtually all other consumer electronic mediums. You can go into the HDTV thread and get recommended a consensus TV for your use case easily. Speakers, computers. Phones? You cant get poo poo, especially for a decent price because the dumb public thinks the slave labor produced iphone is a premium status symbol and other manufacturers dare not deviate from their example if they've any hope to capture any sort of worthwhile market share.

Now of course there was Huawei who made great phones in our experience so they had to be singled out and removed from the western market as if literally every single internet connected device we use isn't actively and aggressively documenting every digital move we make.

I long for the day where phones, smart phones, are basically disposable devices. Not status symbols. Not even relevant in one's accessory list, just something that one has for communication while on the go. Then again, I also wish I wouldn't have to have a smart phone, but that ship has sailed 15 years ago and in today's world is pretty much a mandatory piece of equipment.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
At what income level do people stop considering iPhones status symbols?

I'm not trying to be classist against lower-income people here, to me it's the same concept as BMWs/Benz' only being status symbols to middle-class people and below, and McMansions only being status symbols to upper-middle class people and below.

I just can't imagine anyone with a mortgage thinking, "Wow, that person owns an iPhone, they must really have their life together."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really, it’s just the iMessage conversation color. That poo poo is peer pressure crack for younger social groups and like they say, hook them young. That’s also the reason why iPhone doesn’t have the same marketshare outside of the US since they all moved on to other messaging platforms from SMS before iMessage became a thing.

Seriously, I have a 15 year old nephew and the way he tells it, he would be ostracized from his social group if he had a green bubble.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Outside of high school, I can't imagine anyone caring about phones as a status symbol. Maybe techies would care about a foldable, but I'm thoroughly middle-class and everyone around me has an iPhone or equally-priced flagship and nobody cares.

Ironically, I think (and I may very well be wrong) that the iPhone lost its status symbol as it became better. I remember the first gen having a lovely camera, no 3G and no app store so you really were showing off that you could afford to blow 500$ on something that did the same thing as a Razr and a cheaper iPod. Now iPhones are great phones, but they're so great that everyone has to have one, and everyone does.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

Outside of high school, I can't imagine anyone caring about phones as a status symbol. Maybe techies would care about a foldable, but I'm thoroughly middle-class and everyone around me has an iPhone or equally-priced flagship and nobody cares.

Ironically, I think (and I may very well be wrong) that the iPhone lost its status symbol as it became better. I remember the first gen having a lovely camera, no 3G and no app store so you really were showing off that you could afford to blow 500$ on something that did the same thing as a Razr and a cheaper iPod. Now iPhones are great phones, but they're so great that everyone has to have one, and everyone does.

Well, not everyone does. And mainly because, as far as I know, in order to fully be able to use an iPhone one would kinda need a Mac as they really integrate well within that ecosystem. And, one absolutely needs a Mac to write a program for said phone as well. And I am not buying a Mac since I had to use one for work and that UI was created by UX designers on crack. Dunno who likes that ugly monstrosity, but I refuse to use that junk. The OS is fine, the UI is what kills it.

And since, as far as I know, there's no way to connect an iPhone to a linux computer to transfer files (pictures for example), that makes it a non-starter. I am lucky that my son (who is a teenager now) lost his apple appetite around age 10 when an iPod that he had just refused to function one day and seems to be happy with the android phones he had so far so he didn't ask for Apple stuff.

edit: I would, however, buy him an Apple phone if he wanted to and he knows this as I told him. I wouldn't want him to feel marginalized in his peer group if everyone is using them, however dumb that may be.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2022

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Volguus posted:

Well, not everyone does. And mainly because, as far as I know, in order to fully be able to use an iPhone one would kinda need a Mac as they really integrate well within that ecosystem. And, one absolutely needs a Mac to write a program for said phone as well. And I am not buying a Mac since I had to use one for work and that UI was created by UX designers on crack. Dunno who likes that ugly monstrosity, but I refuse to use that junk. The OS is fine, the UI is what kills it.

And since, as far as I know, there's no way to connect an iPhone to a linux computer to transfer files (pictures for example), that makes it a non-starter. I am lucky that my son (who is a teenager now) lost his apple appetite around age 10 when an iPod that he had just refused to function one day and seems to be happy with the android phones he had so far so he didn't ask for Apple stuff.

edit: I would, however, buy him an Apple phone if he wanted to and he knows this as I told him. I wouldn't want him to feel marginalized in his peer group if everyone is using them, however dumb that may be.

You don't need a Mac to use an iPhone and you don't need to plug your phone into a computer for anything

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Volguus posted:

I long for the day where phones, smart phones, are basically disposable devices. Not status symbols. Not even relevant in one's accessory list, just something that one has for communication while on the go. Then again, I also wish I wouldn't have to have a smart phone, but that ship has sailed 15 years ago and in today's world is pretty much a mandatory piece of equipment.

Anyone who considers a phone to be a status symbol is a loving tool. Buy and use what suits your needs.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I had a Pixel 6 Pro for 2 weeks and then returned it and kept using my Pixel 5 that's my pixel 6 story hope y'all enjoyed reading

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

People are spending $1700 for the first 100 Nothing phones on Stockx.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

sourdough posted:

You don't need a Mac to use an iPhone and you don't need to plug your phone into a computer for anything

How do you transfer files to a computer from the phone? Just out of curiosity. And how do you write a program for it without a Mac? Do they have linux SDK?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Volguus posted:

How do you transfer files to a computer from the phone? Just out of curiosity. And how do you write a program for it without a Mac? Do they have linux SDK?

what do you think is the percentage of people buying phones based on their ability to write programs for

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Volguus posted:

I imagine one of the many cloud services/backups would work to transfer files. Not iCloud though, obviously that's Apple only.

You cannot compile for iOS without XCode which only runs on a Mac. That's blatant anti-consumer monopoly power abuse of course, but nothing will ever come of it. There are online services such as codemagic.io that will build your ios code on their macs. That's what I use to build for ios for my Flutter based cross platform game which I develop entirely on Linux.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

what do you think is the percentage of people buying phones based on their ability to write programs for

Miniscule, but not zero. Even if I'm the only one.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I'm not quite sure how is that relevant. I'm just stating my reasons. For me that's extremely important.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I imagine one of the many cloud services/backups would work to transfer files. Not iCloud though, obviously that's Apple only.

Ah, so people without Macs basically do not connect their phones to the computer then at all? And transfer files ... some other way (if at all)?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arbitrary file transfer like that really isn’t a common use case anymore. I don’t really do it on android either.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Volguus posted:

I'm not quite sure how is that relevant. I'm just stating my reasons. For me that's extremely important.

Ah, so people without Macs basically do not connect their phones to the computer then at all? And transfer files ... some other way (if at all)?

I, a developer, only connect my phone to my computers to deploy software I'm creating. I do not transfer files from phone to computer or vice versa, because the only non-dev time I use files is for media (plex) and google documents, which are already in the cloud.

My wife, who has both an iPhone and a Mac does not connect her phone to her computer or transfer files at all. I think her experience is probably typical.

For most people, their phone is an internet content consumption appliance. The fact that it's implemented via a general purpose computer is irrelevant to them. Sadly.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I connect my phone to a computer if I'm moving large files, like music, otherwise I just use wireless file transfer back and forth.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I haven't done file transfer between a phone and a computer in....many years. Just use Google Drive?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My mom has a Galaxy a51 and it just fell on the floor. It says it has been factory reset when I try to turn it on and begins setup. before I do anything, is there a way to recover what was on her phone? If I go through setup will it wipe anything that was there?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

My mom has a Galaxy a51 and it just fell on the floor. It says it has been factory reset when I try to turn it on and begins setup. before I do anything, is there a way to recover what was on her phone? If I go through setup will it wipe anything that was there?

Is there an SD card in it that could be taken out and put into a PC? You could also try just plugging in the phone to a PC to see if it'll show up as removable storage.

Generally a factory reset will wipe the device and put it back to, well, factory settings. That seems like a much worse fate than just a screen breaking from a fall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Volguus posted:

Hold up, are you the one from the iPhone thread a few months ago that had this exact same conversation? And caused many of us to not understand why you didn’t understand cloud services?