Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. The couple dungeons I did prior to my dead end weren't too bad, but I've seen what some vanilla Daggerfall maps look like.

Really lovely that you had an unclimbable shaft; I actually ran into the same problem pretty quickly when I tried an "adventurous" ( in the swash buckling sense) character with no magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually always do a main quest run through of most Bethesda games on my first go ‘round.

After that, and once I’ve played a good bit, that’s when I start loving around and such.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I went through one oblivion gate in hundreds of hours.

All but one of my dozen or so skyrim characters have no shouts and encountered zero dragons.

Thieves guild and dark brotherhood are all I need.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The Imperial arena fight where they throw three Argonian slaves at you is really hosed up. :smith:

Almost makes me wanna boot up Morrowind right now and have a "chat" with House Telvanni. :fuckoff:

the rise of house telvanni giant modset (with contributions from forum goon stuporstar) lets you turn Telvanni abolitionist, it's pretty well done

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Really lovely that you had an unclimbable shaft; I actually ran into the same problem pretty quickly when I tried an "adventurous" ( in the swash buckling sense) character with no magic.

If its a story dungeon there's often a clickable thing that will cast levitate on you, like the tapestry at the bottom of the coffin shaft in scourg barrow. WRT to the travel time being longer than the quest timer you (Orcs and Ostriches) tried all the various options in the travel menu like going by ship vs foot and all that right?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah. But I'll get back to it at some point, with a bit better game knowledge. Until then, my Daggerfall failure got me to replay Morrowind.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Machai posted:

I went through one oblivion gate in hundreds of hours.

All but one of my dozen or so skyrim characters have no shouts and encountered zero dragons.

Thieves guild and dark brotherhood are all I need.

I use a spell that just closes oblivion gates now

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Trying two-handers for basically the first time ever in Skyrim and its kinda interesting how it doesn't really work with a sneak, magic, ranged or really any kind of playthrough better than one-handers or even unarmed but it has the best kill animations so that's something I guess

Also doing the Stormcloak recruitment for basically the first time ever (still likely going to betray them at the one point that you can) and playing on survival mode I almost died several times just trying to get to the ice wraith, which kind of ruled

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 26, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doesn't work with magic? For me two handed weapons work a lot better with magic since it's more convenient when switching back and forth. You only need to press one hotkey to get the weapon out, if you press it again it frees up both hands with the previously used spells in them. I think bow is the same. One handed and shield requires two clicks which is still simple but it is twice as many and you need to hit the hotkey for the spell twice if you want it in both hands. Dual wielding is a bit of a pain since you can't hotkey the offhand weapon as far as I know.

Why does it matter for ranged?

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 26, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was a bit tickled to see that in Oblivion, two-handers can't sneak attack crit at all, whereas in Skyrim you at least get the baseline 2x. The question I'm left with is: Is it a weird attempt at a simulationist "how do you sneak attack with a warhammer the size of a small person?" quirk, or is it another one of those balance-by-fiat things that Oblivion is lousy with because multiplying two-handed damage would be somehow too broken, unlike all of the other things that are vastly more broken?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Sneak assassin who skulks around before jumping out of the shadows and splattering your head with a giant 200lbs warhammer would be a pretty funny character.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

1glitch0 posted:

Sneak assassin who skulks around before jumping out of the shadows and splattering your head with a giant 200lbs warhammer would be a pretty funny character.

It's part of the joy of endgame VtM: Bloodlines. Sneak-attacks using a bush hook. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you hook the person by the neck and throw them offscreen.

Bonus points if playing a Malkavian male, shirtless in a white furred coat, wearing a floppy cat-in-the-hat hat. (Malkavians are great stealth characters!)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

1glitch0 posted:

Exactly!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't the sneak attack bonus mainly from attacking someone who is not aware of it? Hitting someone in the head with a sledgehammer from behind will probably do a lot more damage than when they are aware and trying to move out of the way. High sneak attack modifier would be hitting the vulnerable spot?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

With a sledgehammer, every spot is the vulnerable spot

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
For all their freedom, Elder Scrolls games like the idea of encouraging certain visuals or archetypes, and it's not always elegant

It's a trap a lot of modders fall into as well, so idk, maybe it's a specific type of nerd thing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've got a modded Oblivion install running and am thinking of dumping a pretty ENB into the setup. Two quick questions:

1. Can MO2 manage ENB, or do they still need to be manually dropped in?
2. What's a good solid ENB to use? I want the general colors and feel to match vanilla Oblivion.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

With a sledgehammer, every spot is the vulnerable spot

To hell with spears es6 needs to bring back two handed flails.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

I was a bit tickled to see that in Oblivion, two-handers can't sneak attack crit at all, whereas in Skyrim you at least get the baseline 2x. The question I'm left with is: Is it a weird attempt at a simulationist "how do you sneak attack with a warhammer the size of a small person?" quirk, or is it another one of those balance-by-fiat things that Oblivion is lousy with because multiplying two-handed damage would be somehow too broken, unlike all of the other things that are vastly more broken?

In one of the Skyrim perk overhauls, doing a sneak attack with a 2h weapon does a fear AoE on all nearby hostile npcs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's pretty cool. :black101:

In Oblivion: do you need to have started the Knights of The Nine questline in order to reset your infamy to 0 from the pilgrimage?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Poil posted:

That's pretty cool. :black101:

In Oblivion: do you need to have started the Knights of The Nine questline in order to reset your infamy to 0 from the pilgrimage?

Nope

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Pilgrimage posted:

The pilgrimage may be completed at any time, even outside this questline, to reduce your Infamy points to zero. It does not remove other aspects of a criminal past, however; guards will still recognize you as a murderer and may greet you accordingly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you. I tried doing it but it didn't reset, instead it gave me the pilgrimage greater power buff. Maybe the unofficial patch changed it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Day off today so I'm finally rolling a Daggerfall Unity character. Any tips or should I just jump in and get a dozen characters murdered over and over in this infamous starting dungeon?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Day off today so I'm finally rolling a Daggerfall Unity character. Any tips or should I just jump in and get a dozen characters murdered over and over in this infamous starting dungeon?

The Spell Absorption class perk is hilariously OP. Make a fireball spell with massive aoe, cast it at mobs nearby, ensuring you are caught in the aoe, and get a full mana refund. Cast as many as needed to kill everything, or spam at wall to powerlevel your destruction skill.

As for the starting dungeon, save early, save often. In different save slots. You'll likely die a good few times, but eventually you'll make it out and then the game opens up properly.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most clothes can be worn a few different ways. Experiment to see if throwing your cloak over your shoulder gives your paper doll the proper dashing look.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you're taking perks like spell absorption or rapid healing and there's an option to have it only work in darkness do that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Arrow of Extrication quest sucks. Mainly because I assumed I needed to actively sneak through the entire dungeon that precedes the final map, but no, it's really just your usual annoying Conjurer dungeon with a bonus giant slaughterfish. It's actually impossible to sneak through as it stands because one of the conjurers can hear me swimming through a wall and unavoidably aggros. Technically there's an alternate path but you need to pre-emptively steal Fathis Aren's key before you start the quest, because he permanently relocates to his tower once you do.

And that's all before getting into the fact that he's a member of the Mages Guild, so loving with his poo poo is grounds for expulsion. ...Except of course the objective chest which is conveniently unowned. I know people like the whole mutually exclusive guilds thing, but this is definitely not a good example of it.

Also gotta say, barring the final two quests radically changing my tune, the Thieves Guild stuff has been pretty lackluster. The early stuff is overly simplistic and then once you rank up you end up playing a glorified courier for the components of the Grey Fox's kooky masterplan. Skyrim's Thieves Guild is infamously bad, but I think I might actually still like it more than this?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

The Spell Absorption class perk is hilariously OP. Make a fireball spell with massive aoe, cast it at mobs nearby, ensuring you are caught in the aoe, and get a full mana refund. Cast as many as needed to kill everything, or spam at wall to powerlevel your destruction skill.

As for the starting dungeon, save early, save often. In different save slots. You'll likely die a good few times, but eventually you'll make it out and then the game opens up properly.

This is all true and should be emphasized as well as using the 'use' function on all of your clothes to make them look nice.

DO NOT FEEL BAD about using the smaller dungeon functions in the daggerfall unity experimental options. The original game was made in a time where games were much more adversarial and making the dungeons smaller and completable in >1 hour is perfectly legitimate.

Also language skills are a trap. Going all in on one weapon skill is reliable and you will probably need one weapon skill even if you go all in on magic skills which are finicky and unreliable.

If you go all in on magick skills this is a goodmod.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Dammit now I've got the daggerfall itch. Hope I don't die on the way to the temple.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aaaand it turns out I complained for nothing, because my reputation is so high even without already being Arch-Mage of the guild that Fathis gave zero shits about me hanging around lol. Still had to murder all the daedra of course. The dungeon in full is very janky, basically 50/50 on stuff that's marked as owned vs. unowned with no rhyme or reason.

The final heist did not turn me around on things. It's kind of neat infiltrating the deepest recesses of the White Gold Tower I guess, but the actual sneaking is as baby easy as it was at the start of the guild questline. Really didn't need the whole weird detour inside the Aleyid dungeon sequence just to push a button to allow me to continue with the whole shoot the statue gimmick either. The usage of the jump boots and key arrow also feel overly simplistic and blunt. Just not a lot of excitement or tension to it.

In contrast, the Cowl is pretty impressive for what a significant game-altering artifact it is.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been chipping away at a playthrough of Oblivion for a while because I've never actually beaten it, is there a reason to enter Oblivion Gates at all when not directed to by a quest? In a game full of dungeons that are too long, the Gates have always felt like especially large timesinks. Someone in one of these threads once mentioned a mod that makes you spawn in the sigil stone chamber of an Oblivion Gate when you first enter one, I'd love to find that someday...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you hate the gates and don't want the sigil stones there is no reason to, other than maybe roleplaying at stopping them. They usually have a ok loot (depending on your level). As a middleground you can just jog up the towers and grab the stone. The daedra guardians can't handle such dishonorable tactics.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sigil Stone Sprints are one of my all time favorite past times playing Oblivion.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just curious Euro, what you playing as? I started as a paladin but resto still sucks as much rear end as Skyrim so rerolled as a destructo assassin mage. Chameleon kicks rear end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a sexual elk posted:

Just curious Euro, what you playing as? I started as a paladin but resto still sucks as much rear end as Skyrim so rerolled as a destructo assassin mage. Chameleon kicks rear end.

I rolled a custom Battlemage build, but in an effort to slow my leveling a bit I'm level 26 so I don't think it matters now :v: I shelved the heavy armor and buff magic for more stealthy skills. Been leveling Illusion at a pretty steady clip as I keep casting Night-Eye to navigate the many many caves that are distracting me from actually finishing the major questlines, so hopefully some Chameleon shenanigans are in my future.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 14, 2022

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I rolled a custom Battlemage build, but in an effort to slow my leveling a bit I'm level 26 so I don't think it matters now :v: I shelved the heavy armor and buff magic for more stealthy skills. Been leveling Illusion at a pretty steady clip as I keep casting Night-Eye to navigate the many many caves that are distracting me from actually finishing the major questlines, so hopefully some Chameleon shenanigans are in my future.

I made a rally spell that lasts 1 second but has a 100 radius and I just chain cast it, hits tons of npcs at once, working pretty well.

E: Get this if you haven’t yet

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ring_of_Khajiiti
35% chameleon

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 14, 2022

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

C-Euro posted:

Someone in one of these threads once mentioned a mod that makes you spawn in the sigil stone chamber of an Oblivion Gate when you first enter one, I'd love to find that someday...

I've also been trying to find this mod to no avail.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Poil posted:

If you hate the gates and don't want the sigil stones there is no reason to, other than maybe roleplaying at stopping them. They usually have a ok loot (depending on your level). As a middleground you can just jog up the towers and grab the stone. The daedra guardians can't handle such dishonorable tactics.

Yeah, I enjoyed playing the first couple of gates legit (mostly the early unique ones) but after a certain point there's just no joy to be had in slogging through the same exact daedra and the same exact miserable maps over and over. The loot wasn't even all that good after a point. And the one somewhat notable piece I did randomly come across (100% fire protection ring, I think) was lost when the game crashed. :/

The gates double suck for me, because as someone who loves enchanting (as an extension of blacksmithing), Oblivion's enchanting sucks rear end while sigil stones are ridiculously good. But are random. And in limited supply. And go away entirely if you have the audacity to finish the main quest. :rolleyes: You better believe by the time I was loving around in the Shivering Isles I was just using the console to spawn more stones to carry my enchants forward onto the SI gear.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a sexual elk posted:

I made a rally spell that lasts 1 second but has a 100 radius and I just chain cast it, hits tons of npcs at once, working pretty well.

E: Get this if you haven’t yet

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ring_of_Khajiiti
35% chameleon

I have that ring but I don't mess around with Spellmaking nearly as much as I should. Might take a break after my current quest and sell off the mountain of junk potions and scrolls that I have for spellmaking cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

C-Euro posted:

Been chipping away at a playthrough of Oblivion for a while because I've never actually beaten it, is there a reason to enter Oblivion Gates at all when not directed to by a quest? In a game full of dungeons that are too long, the Gates have always felt like especially large timesinks. Someone in one of these threads once mentioned a mod that makes you spawn in the sigil stone chamber of an Oblivion Gate when you first enter one, I'd love to find that someday...

I used this mod, https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/48332/, which gives you a Lesser Power that closes Oblivion gates via a spell and plops a relevant sigil stone in your inventory without ever going inside. It's a Target spell so you can snipe them away almost as soon as you can see them - the whole gate-violently-explodes-and-closes animation is a lot easier to appreciate from a distance!

e: Also it works for the story gates (including the final one) and gives you all the normal stuff for closing gates beyond the sigil stone, like fame and the counter in your stats.

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 15, 2022