Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Is it just me, or is the built-in anti-spam filter of Office 365 loving terrible?

I'm working a ticket from the new CIO about a shitload of spam he's getting since on-boarding, and some of the email that has reached him is downright shocking. How the gently caress is Defender for O365 not identifying these as spam?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Brand new printer fuckery today.
Our leased Canon MFP suddenly can't scan to email. Call the company, they registered a Gmail account and pass the traffic through there, which no longer works.
I tell the tech I'm going to route it through my O365, no problem. He happily gives me the login credentials, and I'm off.
Except it doesn't work. Same config as on the rest of my Canons.
Turns out this model defaults to 465 for SMTP instead of 25. And changing it can't be done through the GUl, only on the printer itself via a very specific set of key presses to get into a debug menu. Which is only documented by random people on the internet who found it one time.
Works now though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

capitalcomma posted:

Is it just me, or is the built-in anti-spam filter of Office 365 loving terrible?

I'm working a ticket from the new CIO about a shitload of spam he's getting since on-boarding, and some of the email that has reached him is downright shocking. How the gently caress is Defender for O365 not identifying these as spam?!

Yea

Gmail sucks poo poo lately too

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

Yea

Gmail sucks poo poo lately too

What you don't like the daily Home Depot emails telling you that you have won a free drill?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Zil posted:

What you don't like the daily Home Depot emails telling you that you have won a free drill?

And DHL has tried to deliver something. I really don’t understand how those home depot and dhl ones get through.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hughmoris posted:

Do you ever feel the urge to go learn a topic just to prove someone wrong and shove it in their face?

I do BI work but that's how I'm feeling at the moment regarding pcap and infosec poo poo. I'm getting too old to be this petty but yet...

I'd be worried about someone going "well, then you manage it now smartass."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

capitalcomma posted:

Our filters in 365 atp have been called excessively strong since they get about 3-10% of their daily mail stuck there rather than inbox. If you don't have at least e3, your filter ain't going to stop poo poo.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

I’d love to do this but unfortunately he is related to my wife and there’s no escaping her. :dance:

Seriously though- the dude is 85 and a pancreatic cancer survivor and chemo brain is a thing. At this point his inability to differentiate between the internet, Windows, Outlook, Office and email (and his incessant “cleverly funny” referral to Microsoft as “Microcrap”) is a grating annoyance but is ultimately the cost of entry into the family.

The payment I have been making for over thirty years and counting.

My FIL did a lot of thinkering with computers in the 80's and even did some programming to print color charts for his nursing job. He's also pretty good at photograph and video editing. And reads computer magazines. So, ofc he's an expert and totally qualified to argue with me over corporate IT. One time, when I didn't just fold like the rest of the family, he started calling me "Mister Big IT". For my wife's sake, I try to stay civil.

This is the same guy that was very surprised when I told him most companies run Windows servers environments and not mainframes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Silly Newbie posted:

Brand new printer fuckery today.
Our leased Canon MFP suddenly can't scan to email. Call the company, they registered a Gmail account and pass the traffic through there, which no longer works.
I tell the tech I'm going to route it through my O365, no problem. He happily gives me the login credentials, and I'm off.
Except it doesn't work. Same config as on the rest of my Canons.
Turns out this model defaults to 465 for SMTP instead of 25. And changing it can't be done through the GUl, only on the printer itself via a very specific set of key presses to get into a debug menu. Which is only documented by random people on the internet who found it one time.
Works now though.

I've done this exact dance. There is no excuse for not putting all the config options in the web UI where people go to configure things.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

Everything in IT is named by 12 year olds with ADHD, as per the Working in IT thread.
I hate Chef för trying to be clever with naming things, and I'm glad we have much better tools nowadays.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

sixth and maimed posted:

This is the same guy that was very surprised when I told him most companies run Windows servers environments and not mainframes.

My dad was like this. He was very good with computers (and massively overloaded himself at work by also taking on all matters IT despite that not being his job at all) but his knowledge was very outdated in certain parts. As in, based on how things worked in Windows For Workgroups 3.11.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems reasonable to me, the day I retire will be the last day I ever read a tech blog. Why would I need to know the state of the art in IT anymore? :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zil posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

client: surely changing the domain of this admin user in azure without talking to anyone first won't affect anything
also client: HELP EVERYTHING IS DOWN

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My spam in my newer Fastmail alias is confusing, because I got shortname@sent.at along with my first@last.me custom domain.

All of the spam sent to my shortname@sent.at address is all German / Austrian spam, which makes sense now that I think about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure how you all have been able to poison Gmail's spam filtering, but I have zero spam reaching my inbox and the spam tag itself only sees about 5 messages a week.

As for dads, mine is reasonably technical, but he was convinced that the continent to continent internet access was done via satellite rather than undersea cable at one point.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 15, 2022

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

bull3964 posted:

As for dads, mine is reasonably technical, but he was convinced that the continent to continent internet access was done via satellite rather than undersea cable at one point.

I'll bet pop culture depictions of telecommunications has a lot to do with it. Movies and TV depict satellites a lot, and never depict undersea (or even underground) cables, cause those aren't nearly as impressive as poo poo In Space.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure how you all have been able to poison Gmail's spam filtering, but I have zero spam reaching my inbox and the spam tag itself only sees about 5 messages a week.

For the most part, this is my experience as well. My spam tag/folder/placeitgoestodie sees more like 5 per day though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a legit message where someone has let their Office 365 account get compromised

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, that IPv6 address is in spf.protection.outlook.com's SPF1 line. Working as intended.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a legit message where someone has let their Office 365 account get compromised

Well, duh. You'd still be able to think they could detect that it's spam, though.

Here's a better example that is more inline what most of the messages that make it to my inbox are. Usually don't even pass SPF

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Well, duh. You'd still be able to think they could detect that it's spam, though.

Here's a better example that is more inline what most of the messages that make it to my inbox are. Usually don't even pass SPF

Hey maybe they could try to filter any FROM address that isn't even a valid TLD. Sheesh.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I have been getting a couple of these a day to my personal gmail account. They have all come from apparently compromised O365 accounts. I assume this is why they make it through the spam filter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason the default Office 365 setting was that any user could add any app to their account, and grant it the same permissions as their user account, so people would receive emails that say "click here to see your documents" and end up getting a prompt to let a fake app access their account, which they would then accept.

The defaults are saner now and you can turn the feature off completely and require admin approval to add apps that can view corporate data.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Spammers have been using 365 trial account to send messages since a while, they have been able to automate trial account creation to the point microsoft might kill your demo tenant if you compiled and confirmed everything too fast.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

my brother in christ, we are a HIPAA covered entity. i am not going to use my root access to upload an arbitrary file to production without knowing what it is and where it came from, and why this file existing in prod is necessary, at minimum.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

The in-laws are tough. If it's my family, I'll just pay for it and be done with it. $5/month or whatever is well worth not having my mom or step-dad call me, and I don't have to worry about upsetting them if I insist on fixing something.

My in-law's house had bad internet ever since I've known my wife. I think we're going on year 15 or so. Multiple providers, constant battles over it, etc. Her father passed away about a year ago and I had a chance to look at it without offending anyone. They had been paying for gigabit internet and were consistently getting 30%+ packetloss. I got that fixed and it was like the end of an era. So weird to have working house in the house that was known as the "lovely internet house."

So ah, yeah. You have my sympathies.

re-posting this old anecdote

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My peeve is when my parents ask me for tech advice, I give it to them, they don't follow it, and then get upset at me when I don't want to help them with whatever to did. My mom wanted a cell phone, she's completely tech illiterate, so I told her to get an iPad.

She ended up getting some anoi elf Android tablet, and when she attempted to factory default it, it just wiped the entire SDCard, and bricked itself. My bro spent HOURS trying to fix it, but if she had listened, it would have all been avoided.

Later, she wanted a cellphone, she was looking at the Galaxy S3 for whatever reason, maybe it was cheaper, but I told them "no, get an iPhone." They were miffed about the cost difference, so I offered to buy her the iPhone with the understanding that they won't need to call me for support with it.

My dad flipped out, like a maniac, that I wouldn't help mom with her phone if she didn't buy an iPhone. He was livid. It was completely ridiculous. I tried to explain to him that she wouldn't need help with the iPhone because it's clearly the easiest to use.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have the same policy. If you are family, you can ask me for advice. If you do not take my advice, that is your prerogative and I will not be upset about it, but then I don't want to hear it when you have problems resulting from your choice to ignore my advice.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My 14 year old daughter, collecting art for a collage on her wall, is pasting these images into a word document. Of course the document balloons to gigantic proportions and is taking forever to print.

It’s taking so long that she’s cancelling the job and retrying it. Over and over and getting more frustrated (it doesn’t help that it’s past midnight- yay summer break!). I finally ask her if I could help as she’s bitching and bitching about the printer and refuses help.

So I go full daddy mode and say “if you don’t let me explain to you what is going on and why the printer is behaving (properly) like it is, you do not get to complain about printers to me ever again. For the rest of your life.

So she sits down and I explain how pasting fifty pictures into Word and printing it is different than printing fifty pictures and how a printer needs time to render huge files. And sure enough it prints her images.

If I could threaten users with being banned from my help for all eternity unless they listen to me- the world (my world) would be a better place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of love the image of her carefully shrinking them all to fit on the one page and then being really confused when they come out small.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Sitting here in yet another ~Lean will make us billions~ class as yet another shipment is missed because half our suppliers still haven't recovered from covid.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tactlessbastard posted:

Sitting here in yet another ~Lean will make us billions~ class as yet another shipment is missed because half our suppliers still haven't recovered from covid.

Lean saves you a ton of money, with the assumption that anything and everything you could need or want has a predictable lead time, well understood demand, and remains generally available at all times from multiple vendors. Unfortunately covid roofied the drink of a ton of lean companies, then did terrible things to their bottom line back behind the dumpster.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One our clients switched from another ISP to AT&T so they could 'save money' by bundling the phone with fiber. Their internet is now much worse and they are miffed that I did not let them know it would happen despite me not knowing about it until two days before turn up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Lean saves you a ton of money, with the assumption that anything and everything you could need or want has a predictable lead time, well understood demand, and remains generally available at all times from multiple vendors. Unfortunately covid roofied the drink of a ton of lean companies, then did terrible things to their bottom line back behind the dumpster.

I know this is probably one of those borderline things on this site, something that obviously depends on the subforum, but I hope we can leave the rape jokes behind us in the year 2022. Not coming from the standpoint of a stern mod finger wagging. More like, "wouldn't it be cool if."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Word and images and printers

Why is there still no good way to print an image that lets you have precise control over how it fits on the page without using something like Word or Photoshop? You'd think the Windows built in print thing would just let me drag it around the page and resize with my mouse.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Been looking around for Server 2022 licenses over the past few days.
As the directors refuse to move anything to the cloud, we are looking at quite a hefty bill for all our high-availability VMs and user CALs.

Got an email this morning telling me not to worry, they managed to get everything for a fraction of the price I was getting quoted.

Obviously I did worry, and requested an exact copy of the invoice to see what exactly they bought - expecting them to only have a fraction of the required cores.

Nope, they had been sold a bunch of OEM keys.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Whipstickagostop posted:

As the directors refuse to move anything to the cloud, we are looking at quite a hefty bill for all our high-availability VMs and user CALs.

Got an email this morning telling me not to worry, they managed to get everything for a fraction of the price I was getting quoted.

Obviously I did worry, and requested an exact copy of the invoice to see what exactly they bought - expecting them to only have a fraction of the required cores.

Absolutely classic.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Whipstickagostop posted:

Who gets to tell them that what they bought is nearly useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Whipstickagostop posted:

If they costed close to nothing those are not OEM, they are MAK codes from someone's volume license.