Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
lol

The CBC is filming at my work today and they want everyone in the store to not wear masks as a way to present that covid is done and gone to the public that are watching the segment being filmed here.

https://youtu.be/KsZJKpbEoNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Old Swerdlow posted:

lol

The CBC is filming at my work today and they want everyone in the store to not wear masks as a way to present that covid is done and gone to the public that are watching the segment being filmed here.

https://youtu.be/KsZJKpbEoNE

Do tell them to gently caress themselves, on my behalf.

On what basis does a journalistic organization, attempt to control the "story" in that way? loving sickening. Defund the pricks.

EDIT: The other thing I hate is: we have to go back to normal life. I agree, I'm back to normal life in every way except I very rarely eat indoors in public. That's the only thing that's meaningfully changed, because I can do literally everything else that's "normal" to me whilst wearing a mask. It's roughly the same level of annoyance as being told I can't smoke indoors, which I've learned to put up with because it ain't changing.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 20, 2022

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s not the focus of the segment but it sure is some total bullshit. Luckily I work in The warehouse area so I don’t have to worry about it. I would tell them to eat a bag of dicks if they asked me too, though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Holy poo poo. gently caress those guys.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I would complain to the CBC ombudsman.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

EvilJoven posted:

4 weeks? Holy poo poo that's wild.

Oh well.

My partner got it twice in 6 weeks

Triple vaxxed too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is possibly the funniest thing to have been posted in this thread since it was made.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

infernal machines posted:

This is possibly the funniest thing to have been posted in this thread since it was made.
I just read the FAQ for the ombudsman and it has this choice quote:

cbc i guess posted:

The world’s first ombudsman was established in Sweden in 1809. CBC and Radio-Canada appointed their respective ombuds in 1992.
Just critical info, glad I now know it only took 183 years from the creation of the ombudsman as a concept to CBC getting one.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Do tell them to gently caress themselves, on my behalf.

:hmmyes: :same:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RBC posted:

Can you share some of those articles about the dropping of restrictions?

The announcement and why it was dropped - tl;dr, 2 dose vaccines don't do enough to stop transmission of omicron, so why bother with vaccine mandates? Don't ask about hospitals filling up with repeated unvaxxed infections - fair enough, there aren't many of those in Canada, and now that there are few restrictions/mask mandates anywhere, your independent researcher uncle can pick up Omicron wherever they want, so it doesn't make much difference if he catches it on a plane and spreads it across Pearson or just coughs all over the Mandarin jello bar.

The transport minister was interviewed on Sunday and said that crowded airports had nothing to do with the change, but also didn't have specific answers as to why the vaccine mandate was dropped for domestic travel but not international arrivals, or what metrics might lead to the re-introduction of restrictions, besides "all of them". Granted, that's probably the health minister's role, but maybe everyone in cabinet should have the same message? But speaking of that, the inside story of why Justin Trudeau suddenly ended vaccine mandates for travellers went into more detail:

quote:

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos pointed to a better public health picture across Canada as justifying the changes to travel and federal workplace rules at this time. The sixth wave of the pandemic in Canada is in clear decline with fewer infections, hospitalizations and patients in intensive care than just weeks ago. He warned if things worsen in the fall, the mandates could be revived.

Duclos characterized the decision to drop vaccine mandates as a “suspension” and insisted that a third or fourth dose of vaccinations are the best protection against getting sick or dying.

A senior government official, speaking on a background-only basis, conceded the public’s mood around vaccination mandates and perceived personal risk has shifted and an even tougher mandate — one that required three doses — immediately “would not get us ready for the fall” when infections could rise again, especially as vaccines are already being tweaked for new variants and by the end of the summer, boosters could be very different.

The insider said “behavioural science” also points toward easing restrictions now: “We want people to get in position where they want to get a third dose and not have it become a national resentment.”

The national vaccination campaign in its early days was a success, with some 90 per cent of Canadians aged over five getting a first dose. More than 82 per cent of the broader Canadian population has received two doses. Of the eligible population (age five and over) that number is 86.4 per cent. But only 49 per cent of the overall population is vaccinated with a third dose.

Still, a senior cabinet minister said that inside government there was a recognition that “it was time to move on” as Ottawa reserves the option to change its mind in the fall if the situation deteriorates.

Vaccination mandates remain for cruise ship crews and passengers because they “are in close contact with each other for an extended period of time,” said Transport Minister Omar Alghabra. There are no changes for travellers entering Canada, and no changes to masking mandates on federally-regulated planes and trains. Duclos and Alghabra each said the changes announced Tuesday were “guided by science” that involved looking “at all the options and all the data that we have.”

But the federal government and top public health officials have struggled to convey that science to Canadians in recent months, with the chief public health officer stating last week that dropping mandates and other measures involved a “complex decision-making process.”

“I’m not going to give you the number of cases or the number of hospitalizations a day, because that’s really quite complicated,” Dr. Theresa Tam said, adding that such decisions would need to factor in vaccine coverage rates and mandatory random testing — a measure Ottawa scrapped in airports on Saturday.

Indeed, ministers grappled with contradictory messaging Tuesday on several fronts. Duclos said mask mandates on planes and trains protect people “in environments where there is limited space and close contact”, even as provinces have begun axing the same measure on public transit.

What’s more, the federal government opted not to update the definition of a fully-vaccinated person to reflect three or more doses, despite repeated assertions that two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine no longer provides adequate protection in the wake of the Omicron variant. And while ministers cited unseen “data” as the reason behind why vaccine mandates for Canadian travellers could be dropped, Ottawa is still requiring all foreign nationals entering the country to be “fully vaccinated” — with two doses.

Toronto Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith said a lack of transparency from officials in the last six months on the science behind mandates led to weak public support for continuing the measure. “Unquestionably, there was inertia,” he said. He added that Tuesday’s announcement was made with the recognition that “while the mandates were important when they were first introduced, they don’t serve the same usefulness today, and (the government) has listened to caucus.”

As for the government’s warning that mandates could be brought back in the event of a serious fall wave, Liberal MP Chris Bittle said such a move would likely be unpopular. “It’s always going to be a challenge,” he said, adding that removing mandates doesn’t mean “mission accomplished, COVID’s over.”

... then what does it mean? It's really hard to shake the feeling that the only "science" guiding these decisions is behavioural political.

I haven't seen equivalent Canadian articles, but the NYT is basically declaring victory over COVID because deaths are dropping to a mere 300+ per day even as cases rise nationally (albeit still varying a lot locally, with different states having peaks months apart). As for Omicron re-infection:

quote:

Even as fewer cases turn deadly, the unprecedented number of infections this winter and spring has created significant problems of its own. In the United States, one in five adult survivors of Covid under 65 has dealt with some version of long Covid, a recent study found. Many people have missed work, including doctors, whose absences this spring have periodically strained hospitals that already had staffing problems.

Dr. Karan, of Stanford, said that he had lingering symptoms from a January bout with Covid until April. A month later, he was infected again. As of last week, he said, with the subvariant surge hitting California, his team of five doctors at one of the hospitals where he works had been reduced to two because of Covid absences, forcing delays to consultations for some patients.

In the Northeast, where cases have been falling for several weeks, Dr. Ranney said that Covid patients had generally been spending less time in the hospital during the latest wave.

They had also been presenting differently, she said. In previous surges, patients’ most pressing difficulties tended to be the direct result of Covid, like low oxygen levels or severe pneumonia. This spring, she said, more patients needed care because Covid had exacerbated underlying conditions, like diabetes or heart trouble.

“This wave feels qualitatively and quantitatively different,” Dr. Ranney said. “We’re not seeing our I.C.U. get filled up with patients who are gasping for breath or who are on death’s door.”

Well, sucks for you if you have an underlying condition, but for everyone else, your chances of emerging from COVID roulette unscathed are higher than before. Will that continue through the summer? gently caress if I know.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 21, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been dealing with some local trades folks to get some things done and the spectrum of covid opinions and legends I'm getting from meeting all these people are amazing.

-Guy only has 1 dose, he felt a little odd after it so declared the whole vaccine thing dangerous and he doesn't want to take the risk. He's had covid a few times, it hits him worse every time but he's SURE he's building up a long term immunity. I mentioned that all the long term studies seem to point to it loving up your immune system long term and you can't just become immune to covid by having it enough, he agreed that was probably right but said "we'll see"

-Another guy is triple vaxxed but is super against masks. Thinks they are rude and cowardly and a sign that we'll letting the virus control us. He's got kids and although his kids have all had covid now, he's mostly worried about their social development due to not seeing "enough unmasked faces". He said he gets angry when he sees people wearing them in grocery stores and how anyone wearing masks still clearly just want covid to never end and need therapy.

-Guy who is double vaxxed and very supportive of that, but thinks anyone who got the 3rd is an idiot. He was absolutely firm that the 3rd shot "kills your ability for natural immunity". The key is to get only 2, catch covid, and that will all combine to make you naturally immune. If you get a 3rd dose your immune system gets lazy and dependent and you'll have to keep getting vaccines every year and that's horrible.

-A few guys who took covid very seriously but thinks the virus cares about human concepts like fairness. They kept talking about how everyone "put in their time" and "made sacrifices" so it's only fair for covid to be over because "enough is enough"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mr. Apollo posted:

For real, actually do this. Make them write down on their website that they received this complaint, and that they swept it under the rug, and that you may now frig off

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Baronjutter posted:

I've been dealing with some local trades folks to get some things done and the spectrum of covid opinions and legends I'm getting from meeting all these people are amazing.

-Guy only has 1 dose, he felt a little odd after it so declared the whole vaccine thing dangerous and he doesn't want to take the risk. He's had covid a few times, it hits him worse every time but he's SURE he's building up a long term immunity. I mentioned that all the long term studies seem to point to it loving up your immune system long term and you can't just become immune to covid by having it enough, he agreed that was probably right but said "we'll see"

-Another guy is triple vaxxed but is super against masks. Thinks they are rude and cowardly and a sign that we'll letting the virus control us. He's got kids and although his kids have all had covid now, he's mostly worried about their social development due to not seeing "enough unmasked faces". He said he gets angry when he sees people wearing them in grocery stores and how anyone wearing masks still clearly just want covid to never end and need therapy.

-Guy who is double vaxxed and very supportive of that, but thinks anyone who got the 3rd is an idiot. He was absolutely firm that the 3rd shot "kills your ability for natural immunity". The key is to get only 2, catch covid, and that will all combine to make you naturally immune. If you get a 3rd dose your immune system gets lazy and dependent and you'll have to keep getting vaccines every year and that's horrible.

-A few guys who took covid very seriously but thinks the virus cares about human concepts like fairness. They kept talking about how everyone "put in their time" and "made sacrifices" so it's only fair for covid to be over because "enough is enough"

ive met all these people

the average person is so stupid

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Infectious disease: is it bad? We report, you decide!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

You'd think people in trades would actually have a better understanding of safety precautions, at least in theory.

A friend of mine who owns a machining shop had a delivery person who kept coming in and refusing to wear a mask when he did so. Told my friend "masks are just theatre, I've had covid and now I'm naturally immune, do your research". Friend explained that it's great that he did his research but that if he also explained that he "did research" and wanted to walk onto the shop floor while they were welding and his research said he didn't need to be wearing goggles when he did so, he would ALSO be telling him to get the gently caress out then, so ... get the gently caress out until you wear your loving mask, moron.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

If that's the same "behavioural science" that said wearing masks will actually hurt us because we'll hold them wrong, I think I'll go ahead and keep doing the opposite.

Thanks for the roundup by the way.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

InfiniteZero posted:

You'd think people in trades would actually have a better understanding of safety precautions, at least in theory.

A friend of mine who owns a machining shop had a delivery person who kept coming in and refusing to wear a mask when he did so. Told my friend "masks are just theatre, I've had covid and now I'm naturally immune, do your research". Friend explained that it's great that he did his research but that if he also explained that he "did research" and wanted to walk onto the shop floor while they were welding and his research said he didn't need to be wearing goggles when he did so, he would ALSO be telling him to get the gently caress out then, so ... get the gently caress out until you wear your loving mask, moron.

Usually when they've witnessed death or maiming first-hand they do, but not otherwise.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

InfiniteZero posted:

Have you ever worked with tradespeople before?

Like any other group of people, what they know and what they actually do have varying degrees of separation, and while you will have some who are very well informed and conscientious about following safety protocols, you will have a lot who won't for whatever reason. Sometimes the reason will be because they're pants on head stupid, sometimes it will be peer pressure, or not being provided enough time to properly do the job while adhering to safety guidelines.

I once showed up to a site to terminate some low voltage wiring, was handed the keys to a cherry picker and told to go to town. I had no experience on the equipment and no PPE of any kind, it was just expected that I'd sort it out myself.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

InfiniteZero posted:

https://twitter.com/SquizzSTK/status/1494870530029416449

Prime minister material right there. Well, former. No need to mention former presidents staring directly at solar eclipses, or current prime minister pre-pandemic masking habits.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

InfiniteZero posted:

That attitude is what my friend has, he doesn't push people to wear masks in public, but if people come up to him and tell him to take it off because "their research" told them it was stupid he gladly rises to the challenge of "oh yeah? Whose research is that?"

I haven't ever been told to take my mask off or anything but I certainly was pretty blunt in calling my brother stupid to his face when he got covid last year. My father wasn't happy that I did that but my brother was also going off about "vaccinated people still get covid" and my response was "yeah, because unvaccinated idiots like YOU pass it around"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

OK that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Tradespeople are just people by the way, I get it. My outward optimism must have been a brief indica flashback. I blame Trudeau.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

I used to work with a nurse turned pharmacist that didnt believe in vaccines, thought masks trapped the virus in your maw making symptoms and the infection worse, and hated using hand sanitizer because it killed all the good bacteria.

Also worked with an engineer that never once wore a hardhat because he never saw anyone got hurt at a construction site and hated how it made his bald head sweat.

Turns out even smart people can be real dumb.

e: Our politicians spending more time consulting business leaders and company CEOs than scientists and healthcare workers to dictate COVID policy kind of falls into this too. Its actually kind of depressing. :(

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 22, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 10, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Furnaceface posted:

I used to work with a nurse turned pharmacist that didnt believe in vaccines, thought masks trapped the virus in your maw making symptoms and the infection worse, and hated using hand sanitizer because it killed all the good bacteria.

Hell, how many nurses were let go because they didn't want to get immunized?

I knew a medical receptionist that thought the was queen poo poo of medicine and tried to convince us normies that people from the 1500's loved for 100+ years because they ate better. :shuckyes:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We won't.

Lol, lmao.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 10, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The ruling class has already reached a broad consensus: it's fine if poor people die of disease, get back to work

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 10, 2022

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Furnaceface posted:

Also worked with an engineer that never once wore a hardhat because he never saw anyone got hurt at a construction site and hated how it made his bald head sweat.

Turns out even smart people can be real dumb.

e: Our politicians spending more time consulting business leaders and company CEOs than scientists and healthcare workers to dictate COVID policy kind of falls into this too. Its actually kind of depressing. :(

My sister-in-law is a nurse that has done quite a bit of time in covid wards. She was and is fully in support of all the covid measures (vaccines, masks, etc.), she just didn't have interest or time in keeping up with the knowledge on covid besides what she was told in the course of her job. Thus we encounter her telling us something about how covid isn't airborne, you only have to worry about the droplets and medical procedures that potentially aerosolize the virus. This was just a few months ago.

It has been known that covid is airborne for quite a while now, even if it did take the WHO a long-rear end time to actually say it themselves.

No matter who the person is, if they aren't fully invested in keeping up to date, they're going to hear things from other ignorant people and take it as truth. And so the cycle of misinformation continues.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

I used to work with a nurse turned pharmacist that didnt believe in vaccines

Oh yeah, the head pharmacist at the closest pharmacy to me has, going back way before Covid, always prefaced every flu shot I received from her with a speech about how it didn't do anything and that I was wasting my time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Should have their licenses taken away. gently caress any medical professional being an anti-vax piece of poo poo. What an embarrassment and just some dumb gently caress collecting a pay cheque.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Should have their licenses taken away. gently caress any medical professional being an anti-vax piece of poo poo. What an embarrassment and just some dumb gently caress collecting a pay cheque.

On the one hand sure but on the other, I don't find it surprising when people working within a system become deeply suspicious and cynical about that system.

I'm not saying it's correct or good, but when you put people on endless ten-hour shifts and they get lied to, disrespected, and made to avert their eyes from managerial incompetence, is it surprising that they turn into nihilist drones?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Pharmicists can be pretty weird, they're all obsessed with drugs, it attracts a special kind.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

I bet if you asked that pharmicist what's better than the flu shot he would tell you to take a cocktail of several prescription drugs that you'd never heard of before. Because he knows better.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There was a pharmacist at my gym who moved to Thunder Bay becuase he said he was sick of all the "purple haired soy boy simps in the GTA".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mr. Apollo posted:

There was a pharmacist at my gym who moved to Thunder Bay becuase he said he was sick of all the "purple haired soy boy simps in the GTA".

Please take him back

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Fidelitious posted:

My sister-in-law is a nurse that has done quite a bit of time in covid wards. She was and is fully in support of all the covid measures (vaccines, masks, etc.), she just didn't have interest or time in keeping up with the knowledge on covid besides what she was told in the course of her job. Thus we encounter her telling us something about how covid isn't airborne, you only have to worry about the droplets and medical procedures that potentially aerosolize the virus. This was just a few months ago.

It has been known that covid is airborne for quite a while now, even if it did take the WHO a long-rear end time to actually say it themselves.

No matter who the person is, if they aren't fully invested in keeping up to date, they're going to hear things from other ignorant people and take it as truth. And so the cycle of misinformation continues.

Why should any nurse or doctor be expected to know something that BC Public Health has never once publicly acknowledged? Dr. Bonnie has never said poo poo about aerosol transmission, because her job is to be political and not to keep you or your family safe. HTH.

eta: afaik the only person of any authority to mention airborne spread is Dr. Tan, federally, which is conveniently the only public health official who doesn't have a say in how the provinces respond, ie empty words

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 22, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BC Gov walking back on redoing the Royal BC Museum

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If we acknowledge airborne spread which we knew about by April 2020 or so we would have to upgrade building ventilation instead of pretending to sanitize door knobs.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

InfiniteZero posted:

On the one hand sure but on the other, I don't find it surprising when people working within a system become deeply suspicious and cynical about that system.

The "system" in question, here, is "biology"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

evilpicard posted:

If we acknowledge airborne spread which we knew about by April 2020 or so we would have to upgrade building ventilation instead of pretending to sanitize door knobs.

Sounds like government overreach to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Great, my whole household has got covid.

2 years of efforts and the drat daycare do us in.