Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Quicksilver6 posted:

Is there even any other shooter that at least measures ammo by magazines as god intended?

I was interested in that Tarkov-like Marauders but it does that “infinite mags as long as you have bullets” which sucks.

Insurgency is a very little bit dated, but it's a pretty good shooter I've always felt has a lot in common with Tarkov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't think anyone thinks it will be a place to get good at Tarkov as a whole, but it can be quite challenging for a new players to get practice at just shooting guns at players in Tarkov due to the nature of the game. It will be better for Tarkov as a whole to have a place to showcase the gunfights and I think it will draw more players into the main game.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

causticBeet posted:

I’d they do it straight up “fast respawns small maps” COD style it will probably be trash

I unironically would love to play shipment in tarkov. It would be the sweatiest bullshit ever.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It also occurs to me if they're going to have separate gear and progression in Arena that CoD is probably the wrong touchstone. Look forward to one life modes and not actually learning any more about shooting. :yayclod:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Arena will inevitably be round-based permadeath. If I'm really guessing, it'll be best of 5 for the win.

But it will 100% be "you died? better luck next round!"

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Hunt-esque PMC progression with gear/perk unlocks, permadeath, lootable gear after winning a match, throw in a battle pass for good measure. MMR based matching system would be neat?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

After 4 years of this game, I’m getting bored with quests/looting and I just want to shoot mans. I will more than likely exclusively play Arena depending on how it’s set up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

R6 Siege is dying horribly and Battlestate can 100% take this as an opportunity to capitalize on that. All they need to do is add some round-based objective-focused game modes to Arena and bolt on an Elo system.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How did R6 Siege die?

It was a super cool game. The sound and environmental destruction was amazing and brought something to a FPS that was never really done before. If only they could have brought that over to Tarkov.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It kind of forgot to be a Rainbow six game imo, which was kind of a problem

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It veered really hard into hero-shooter with ridiculous gadgets, lost most of its high elo playerbase, the esports side started collapsing, and now 90% of games above the middling rank brackets have blatant aimlock cheaters in them because Ubisoft doesn't want to bother putting any money into a reasonable anticheat solution.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How did R6 Siege die?

It was a super cool game. The sound and environmental destruction was amazing and brought something to a FPS that was never really done before. If only they could have brought that over to Tarkov.

I don't think it died it's just a 7 year old game at this point

Orv
May 4, 2011

giZm posted:

Hunt-esque PMC progression with gear/perk unlocks, permadeath, lootable gear after winning a match, throw in a battle pass for good measure. MMR based matching system would be neat?

None of this, would be my bet.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Orv posted:

None of this, would be my bet.

lol yeah

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Prewipe events have started. What gun should I run after wipe?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

early wipe is ak life for me

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

jerman999 posted:

Prewipe events have started. What gun should I run after wipe?

TOZ, scoped, slugs.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Sks with ps is great early.

Ump was great this wipe.

Double barrel rocks too

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
How is the game on new wipes?

Servers still get absolutely rocked?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Early wipe to mid wipe is the most fun.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Early wipe to mid wipe is the most fun.

Oh for sure, but is early wipe playable?

The first 5 days were always a mess of 15m matchmaker times and servers dropping every other round.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The servers will probably get loving slammed. But that's just kind of the way that it is.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Bondematt posted:

Oh for sure, but is early wipe playable?

The first 5 days were always a mess of 15m matchmaker times and servers dropping every other round.

This will be my fourth wipe and in my experience wipe day can be a bit messy but ultimately playable after the first few hours of rush. After that, smooth sailing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Clap posted:

This will be my fourth wipe and in my experience wipe day can be a bit messy but ultimately playable after the first few hours of rush. After that, smooth sailing.

Nice, that's good to hear.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
at least end wipe it's fun to just dump everything you got into gimmick factory runs

got enough cash to rpk blind spray my way through that map for days

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Pre-wipe reminder that a lot of the early quests (Golden pocketwatch, Jäger letter, etc) are easily done during night raids if you want to get around the rush.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
My friend and I just tried to play for the first time today and loaded into Customs not knowing about the prewipe event and got immediately destroyed by Killa. We're still pretty bad at identifying scavs and PMCs and also just surviving in general.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Live At Five! posted:

My friend and I just tried to play for the first time today and loaded into Customs not knowing about the prewipe event and got immediately destroyed by Killa. We're still pretty bad at identifying scavs and PMCs and also just surviving in general.
I almost envy you. You never forget your first Killa.

Goast posted:

at least end wipe it's fun to just dump everything you got into gimmick factory runs

got enough cash to rpk blind spray my way through that map for days
DMRs with 45 canted sights only. MPX with 7 Klesch 2U's. STM-9 longer than a light gas gun. I want whoever kills me to go "yo what the gently caress was wrong with this guy??"

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 23, 2022

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I feel like Tarkov's audio has become even more trash in the past few months.
I've been playing a bit more recently and it's drat near impossible to locate scavs and players based on sound. It always sounds like the scavs are like 5 feet away when they're like 40m in the distance.

I have the binaural audio settings enabled and i'm using the same headphones I used to, just seems like it's regressing in quality lately.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I feel like Tarkov's audio has become even more trash in the past few months.
I've been playing a bit more recently and it's drat near impossible to locate scavs and players based on sound. It always sounds like the scavs are like 5 feet away when they're like 40m in the distance.

I have the binaural audio settings enabled and i'm using the same headphones I used to, just seems like it's regressing in quality lately.

The audio virtualization has been in a downhill state basically since beta launch.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Orv posted:

The audio virtualization has been in a downhill state basically since beta launch.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing, I remember vividly there being some missing audio and not being able to hear people on stairs and stuff but at least I used to be able to tell distance to sound much better.

Is binaural audio still the better of the two choices?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Isn't the downside of headphones supposed to be that it compresses the audio, making it easier to hear things but also making it much harder to judge distance?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You also want to check for headphone manufacturer drivers that mess with the Windows audio stack to the point you almost need to format and reinstall to get them out. I'm not sure if Windows Sonic and Dolby apps do it, but building a new PC and not touching a single setting since installing the OS has given me better sound quality.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 16, 2022

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Everyone just watch Veritas' 3 hour video about Tarkov sound and educate yourselves smh.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My ideal shooter would have the destructibility of battlefield and the sound from R6 Siege.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

My ideal shooter would have the destructibility of battlefield and the sound from R6 Siege.
:hmmorks:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Everyone just watch Veritas' 3 hour video about Tarkov sound and educate yourselves smh.

Oh wait, is it actually awesome and we are the ones who are wrong?

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

ChesterJT posted:

Oh wait, is it actually awesome and we are the ones who are wrong?

Yes, that's correct.

The Too Long Didn't Watch version is that Tarkov's sound does have issues but also your sound settings are probably hosed, and it's half our own fault that we can't hear poo poo properly.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, wipe this week? Seeing as currently everything is free in-game, seams plausible. Do we have any information on what they might be dropping into the game with this patch? Streets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kikas posted:

So, wipe this week? Seeing as currently everything is free in-game, seams plausible. Do we have any information on what they might be dropping into the game with this patch? Streets?

For sure we're getting an expansion to Lighthouse, and possibly a new quest line to unlock the new trader.

If Streets drops, it's not expected.