Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Whitehead didn’t work on this. It was Headcannon

Fixed. Looking it up it seems Whitehead wasn't involved other than updating the engine to allow it to run in a compilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Zonekeeper posted:

2 possibilities, and I'm not sure which is worse:

1: Senoue doesn't even know there was a Genesis version of the tracks because Sega did not let Headcannon coordinate with him at all.

2: Senoue had access to the better prototype versions and is so inept that they somehow came out sounding like lovely static-y versions of the MIDIS anyway.

Either way I'd imagine the prototype Super Sonic theme appearing was a result of Headcannon throwing it in while making that mode.

Edit: Headcannon, not Whitehead

I’d rather blame Sega for this. They probably gave Senoue two days and fifty bucks

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it's my fault. i'm the one to blame

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The tracks are bad because the compositions are bad. The prototype tracks could never hold up to the Jackson/Buxter originals.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feeling real good about getting the old PC version before they pulled it to run Sonic 3 AIR, that's basically everything I'd want from a modern Sonic 3 port anyway

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Palmtree Panic posted:

The tracks are bad because the compositions are bad. The prototype tracks could never hold up to the Jackson/Buxter originals.
No, but Ice Cap and Carnival Night have prototypes that sound like they could have been part of the soundtrack. They have that Sonic 3 sound to them, even if they are inferior (in my opinion) to the original themes.

Like just because they can’t compete with the originals (and that’s subjective, but I do agree they don’t) doesn’t mean we have to get worse versions of them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

it's my fault. i'm the one to blame

i forgive you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh no now we’re gonna have to wait 5 whole minutes for people to crack the game and replace the ice cap music, the horror

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can’t mod my Playstation :smith:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Glad I decided not to preorder :cripes:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ehh it's not a big deal to me. I could see the songs being changed to the more proper versions in a patch as well.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah… the new music leaves a lot to be desired, except for maybe Launch Base Act 2 and Ice Cap Act 2.

To be fair though, the prototype tracks, S&K Collection midis, and these new renditions are all based on demos that we haven’t heard and so far only Jun has access to. We also know that, based on the other tracks in the rom, the prototype versions are incomplete and have wonky sound levels and instrumentation. I’m willing to bet that these renditions are closer to the original compositions than the better sounding fan arrangements.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, the collection’s still worth it to me if only to finally get the mobile version of Sonic 1, CD, and 2 on a proper console

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah… the new music leaves a lot to be desired, except for maybe Launch Base Act 2 and Ice Cap Act 2.

To be fair though, the prototype tracks, S&K Collection midis, and these new renditions are all based on demos that we haven’t heard and so far only Jun has access to. We also know that, based on the other tracks in the rom, the prototype versions are incomplete and have wonky sound levels and instrumentation. I’m willing to bet that these renditions are closer to the original compositions than the better sounding fan arrangements.

This feels relevant

https://twitter.com/noahncopeland/status/1539289867615711234?s=21&t=rMp9XK9uTaW2Vk7yid7iSg

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I replace songs with the sonic spinball options theme

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Who is to say Michael Jackson didn't also write the prototype tracks

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Proto Ice Cap is pretty much a remix of Crystal Egg from S2GG, which Yuzo Koshiro did the music for.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Christ knows what happened with Carnival Night here, the others are similar enough but Carnival Night sounds so flat and off-key.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

This seems like a really silly point considering the rest of Origins' OST is using the emulation sound rather than the recorded Genesis, so it sticks out. And the sound mastering values aren't going to fix bad instrumentation choices.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Christ knows what happened with Carnival Night here, the others are similar enough but Carnival Night sounds so flat and off-key.

It's the exact same as the PC version. The melody is at least two octaves down from the prototype and in the wrong key, and a musical sting that used to give some extra energy to the start is just straight gone. It's double the speed of the prototype though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR8bFSAEV0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF35BCOOJyc

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Apparently Sega didn't have a restriction on reviewers just... posting all of the animated cutscenes, so... here are all the animated cutscenes???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBTdfo4ARM

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Like there's a couple of possible explanations for what happened with Carnival Night.
1) It was always supposed to sound that way. The prototype music was "incorrectly" programmed, the PC version is correct. Jun Senoue just has cloth for ears around this particular song
2) They lost the demo tapes and the genesis version of the songs (that they could just look up on youtube) so the PC stuff was all they had to work with. Doesn't make sense considering they included the proto super sonic theme as-is and that was never even on PC
3) (my random speculation that's definitely 100% accurate) Sega refused to let them reuse material exclusive to leaked betas out of sheer spite. They got away with the proto super sonic theme cause it's in a new context

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Proto Ice Cap is pretty much a remix of Crystal Egg from S2GG, which Yuzo Koshiro did the music for.

No, Yuzo Koshiro did S1GG. S2GG was the CD composers (Masafumi Ogata and Naofumi Hataya) and Tomonori Sawada. It's possible Ice Cap had the same composer since Sawada is also credited on Sonic 3, and Crystal Egg was his track, but the only Sonic 3 tracks he's claimed credit for are the title theme and its arrangements.

Fun fact: most recently Naofumi Hataya did the Sonic Forces classic level themes and Tomonori Sawada did the most of the tracks for the Riders games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Also jun senoue definitely couldn't be hosed to remind himself how to make genesis music in TYOOL 2022, just like he couldn't in TYOOL 2017 or TYOOL 2010. He played that poo poo on a midi keyboard and it sounds however it sounds and we can just deal with it

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dabir posted:

Like there's a couple of possible explanations for what happened with Carnival Night.
1) It was always supposed to sound that way. The prototype music was "incorrectly" programmed, the PC version is correct. Jun Senoue just has cloth for ears around this particular song
2) They lost the demo tapes and the genesis version of the songs (that they could just look up on youtube) so the PC stuff was all they had to work with. Doesn't make sense considering they included the proto super sonic theme as-is and that was never even on PC
3) (my random speculation that's definitely 100% accurate) Sega refused to let them reuse material exclusive to leaked betas out of sheer spite. They got away with the proto super sonic theme cause it's in a new context

It's number 1

Dabir posted:

Also jun senoue definitely couldn't be hosed to remind himself how to do genesis music in TYOOL 2022, just like he couldn't in TYOOL 2017 or TYOOL 2010

he used the right soundfont this time!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Senoue needs to stick to buttrock and leave the Genesis tunes to somebody willing to give a gently caress, because the prototype tunes are hideous.

Pigbuster posted:

Apparently Sega didn't have a restriction on reviewers just... posting all of the animated cutscenes, so... here are all the animated cutscenes???

Post your paypal so we can send you $40

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 21, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I replace songs with the sonic spinball options theme

The most Genesis of all Genesis songs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

This seems like a really silly point considering the rest of Origins' OST is using the emulation sound rather than the recorded Genesis, so it sticks out. And the sound mastering values aren't going to fix bad instrumentation choices.

I just thought it was worth posting.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

I just thought it was worth posting.

I'm responding to the tweet itself not saying you were bad for posting it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

I'm responding to the tweet itself not saying you were bad for posting it.

Okay.

I have to admit a lot of this stuff is beyond me. I just know what I like, and I don’t hate the new music.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Pigbuster posted:

So this is probably a divisive take but Sega should just make the classic continuity the main one at this point. I'm not even saying they should throw out concepts and characters associated with the modern continuity, just like...port them over to Classic? I just really like the designs where everyone is a little circle person who doesn't talk much.

At least just put Tyson Hess in charge of a Sonic animated series?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The one for the end of sonic 1 where a seventh chaos emerald just shows up at the end like it missed the bus and had to walk

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

hatty posted:

I’d rather blame Sega for this. They probably gave Senoue two days and fifty bucks

I'm inclined either way. Senoue legitimately cannot use a synthesizer, but he really does strike me as a "I'll do what you pay me" type of guy. Hard to say.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I totally forgot that throw away line in the CD manual about Amy being into taro readings, thanks Sonic Origins

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I totally forgot that throw away line in the CD manual about Amy being into taro readings, thanks Sonic Origins

An aspect of her character that to my knowledge is only brought up one other time in the entire series (a line in Sonic Battle for the GBA)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'd only seen it in a webcomic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah thinking about it some, I am definitely recalling it coming up in fanfics I read when I was like, 12 or whatever but never anything official

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
It's in one of the recent IDW comics as well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's a fun little element of her character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

evidentially I need to pay attention more